Author Topic: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer  (Read 44260 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2008, 02:14:29 pm »
Yes, that's all about the same for me too, applied to various times in my life when I have been strongly affected by some event/movie/music, etc.  I am thankful to have the capacity to feel on this level at all, even if it is sometimes sadness.

That was always the problem with me and my meds.I wanted to run the massive gauntlet of my emotions.It was only the last bout of crippling depression when I thought,uh oh, this is really not fun.
But given my time over,I would still choose the highs and lows,rather than the middle lane of my husband,who once even  admitted to envy.We had just walked out of Notre Dame cathedral, where I had been reduced to tears ,by its simultaneous beauty and the glorious soaring voices of the choir.He turned to me and said,"sometimes I wish I could feel what you do"He asked me to try and explain,but I couldn't,it was impossible.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2008, 04:05:49 pm »
Optom, since you talk about medication, you realized that Ennis and Jack were taking booze like that too ??

Instead of being lovers au naturel right away ! So, society pushed them even on that mountain to take alcohol ?

Shame !

?

Au revoir,
hugs!  Maybe, they did not need booze after, hopefully ??

Offline optom3

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2008, 05:35:51 pm »
Optom, since you talk about medication, you realized that Ennis and Jack were taking booze like that too ??

Instead of being lovers au naturel right away ! So, society pushed them even on that mountain to take alcohol ?

Shame !

?

Au revoir,
hugs!  Maybe, they did not need booze after, hopefully ??

I always thought the alcohol was a means to an end,the emotion and attraction were there, but it took the the loosening/relaxing power of alcohol to liberate them,particularly Ennis.
I sometimes wonder if Jack is almost unconciously or even deliberately trying to get Ennis drunk.I do not mean in a calculating wicked way,but as an aid to something he has acknowledged in himself and sees in Ennis.
We recognise fellow sufferers. I was very anorexic in my teens and to this day have to watch myself. But I can now spot an anorexic at 50 paces,We intuitively know.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »

Shame !

I'm just sitting here, shaking my head, wondering how exactly "society" pushes people to "take alcohol"?  What are you talking about?  People CHOOSE to drink for a multitude of reasons.  SOCIETY doesn't make anybody drink.  I really have a hard time understanding what in the heck you are talking about sometimes, Artiste, and I wish you wouldn't just make far-out-there statements like the one above, without any explanation.  Some people could take offense at many of the things you say, including this one, so I wish you would back them up a little better.  Thank you.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2008, 08:01:40 pm »
I do not take offence at what you say so far... and so you do not understand !

Many persons are blind that they are brainwashed in order to take alcohol, you know that don't you ?

At least, I am not an alcoholic nor a drug taker nor pusher !

Did you not see that Ennis and Jack take alcohol ??

No one can be that blind to that ??

Offline Artiste

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2008, 08:51:54 pm »
Instead of hiding, it is grand to let out directly you being sad or in joy, at all times, especially when watching the BM movie, I find !

Isn't that what the film is about ?

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2008, 09:10:11 pm »
I always thought the alcohol was a means to an end,the emotion and attraction were there, but it took the the loosening/relaxing power of alcohol to liberate them,particularly Ennis.
I sometimes wonder if Jack is almost unconciously or even deliberately trying to get Ennis drunk.I do not mean in a calculating wicked way,but as an aid to something he has acknowledged in himself and sees in Ennis.

I think part of it was simply that what young men, back then as well as now, and cowboys no less than any others I guess, just do drink alcohol. Drinking whiskey after their meal was just a natural thing to do, and certainly no-one forced them to drink...I recall the Basque advising Ennis not to order soup, but I don't recall him insisting they must order whiskey.  ;)

I have wondered that myself though. While it might have been natural to have a drink after their meal, maybe Jack encouraged Ennis to drink more? TS1 occurred after Ennis had stayed in the camp because he was too drunk to go back out to the sheep. Before TS2 IIRC they'd also spent the evening drinking.

I think it was only in later years that Jack had a problem with drinking (at least according to Lureen, though I guess the accuracy of that statement and her interpretation of "drank a lot" is open to interpretation), and there's nothing in the SS to suggest they drank excessively on a regular basis on the mountain, any more than any young guys would. Artiste, as Mandy21 says that statement has no basis in fact. If you're saying that it took alcohol for them to get the confidence to become lovers, then maybe yes, that could have been part of it, but that's nothing that "society" pushed them to do, and is a common occurance in all walks of life. Hands up anyone who hasn't at some point in their life had a couple of drinks to get the "dutch courage" to approach someone they really liked, or to take a relationship further...

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:30 pm »
Bless you, BlissC.  I agree with everything you said.  It never occurred to me that what Jack or Ennis did, in terms of their drinking, was strange or out of the ordinary.  They were young men, full of piss and vinegar, trying to look tough.  And of course I've known plenty of people who felt they needed a drink or two or ten, as the case may be, to bolster their confidence to do something they were scared of, including approaching / being with someone they were attracted to.  It's just my humble opinion that Ennis chose on his own that night to drink that much so that he would have an excuse to stay in the camp with Jack and see what might happen.  Jack wasn't pouring it down his throat, that's for sure.  The whiskey seemed to always be there, just like the beans were always there.  Ever present, it seemed.  Thanks for making me re-analyze this point, though.  I appreciate that.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2008, 10:43:07 pm »
Many persons never drank in order to have excellent sex and a mutual relationship !!

Surely !

In the BM movie, booze is too much and unclears Ennis and Jack minds, unfortunately !!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2008, 10:45:25 pm »
Booze does not save lives; it does the opposite !!

It is now a known fact that alcohol destroys brains cells !

Ennis and Jack would have had much clearer minds, had they not drank booze ??