Author Topic: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?  (Read 34305 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »
Heya,

So, let's discuss our favorite TV habits.  Which of these "classic" sitcoms do you really love.  I tried to throw in a variety from different TV eras, and they are in no particular order.

And, there are zillions of sitcoms out there, so of course this list is not comprehensive and does not include "current" sitcoms.

Here's a huge list of sitcom titles to be found on Wikipedia in case you're interested in looking into this further.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sitcoms#content

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:41:00 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MountainMan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:17:19 am »
this is cool. btw, how do you create a poll?

AND....

Now, the world don't move
to the beat of just one drum.

What might be right for you,
may not be right for some.

A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

(But they got)  Diff'rent Strokes!
(It takes)         Diff'rent Strokes!
(It takes)         Diff'rent Strokes to move the world!

:)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:02:51 am »
I picked Lucy, Andy, MASH, All in the Family, and Laverne and Shirley as my favorites. But I've watched and enjoyed almost all of those at one time or another.

Nice poll, ATZ! Good memories.

I still watch on reruns sometimes -- all of the ones I mentioned except Laverne and Shirley -- that one hasn't been on any of my channels recently.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:38:37 am »
Only FIVE Amanda? That's not enough!!  :laugh:

Leave It To Beaver is definately one of my favorites! I had such a huge crush on Wally (Tony Dow) when I was a kid!

Also, The Brady Bunch (I had a big crush on Greg and Peter too!), I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show and The Golden Girls.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:42:19 am »
this is cool. btw, how do you create a poll?

AND....

Now, the world don't move
to the beat of just one drum.

What might be right for you,
may not be right for some.

A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

(But they got)  Diff'rent Strokes!
(It takes)         Diff'rent Strokes!
(It takes)         Diff'rent Strokes to move the world!

:)

Hi Mountain Man! There is a poll button up at the top of the screen. It is blue and it's the one located over on the far right hand side. It says "New Poll" on it. When you push it, you will see the screen to create a poll. I'm the moderator here, so if you get stuck or have any questions, feel free to send me a pm and I'll help you. :D

David.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:46:08 am »
I picked Lucy, Andy, MASH, All in the Family, and Laverne and Shirley as my favorites. But I've watched and enjoyed almost all of those at one time or another.

Nice poll, ATZ! Good memories.

I still watch on reruns sometimes -- all of the ones I mentioned except Laverne and Shirley -- that one hasn't been on any of my channels recently.

My Dad loves M*A*S*H. He fought in the Korean War, so that show brings back a lot of memories (both good and bad) for him.

Offline MountainMan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 02:53:25 am »
David - AHA! I see. Thanks!

;D

I failed to realize we were in "The Polling Place"!

::)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 05:38:14 am »
M*A*S*H is my all time favorite. We have all 11 seasons complete on DVD :laugh:.

I also voted for Golden Girls, Seinfeld and Welcome Back Kotter, although I can't remember the last one. But I know I loved it as a teenager. My cousin and I sang to the music and jumped from bed to bed whenever it was on. One day she missed and sprained a toe - oops. "Welcome ba-haa-aack-ouch!" Even though it really hurt, we laughed and giggled about the situation. Sweet memories. :laugh:

My second favorite after M*A*S*H is missing on the list: Roseanne. Gawd, I had such a crush on Darlene, and simultaneously a smaller crush on her BF David.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 08:45:09 am »
Somewhat to my surprise, I only picked one on the list, and then checked "Other."

I asked myself which shows I would make an effort to watch as broadcast reruns, or spring for the money to buy them on DVD. The only show on the list that qualified was "I Love Lucy."

Four more that I might have picked but that aren't on the list:

"Bewitched" (I own the first season on DVD.)
"The Beverly Hillbillies"
"Petticoat Junction" (What can I say, I love trains? I have a set of episodes on VHS, including the pilot.)
"Green Acres"
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:41:53 am »
Well I used to watch MASH, The Partridge Family, Happy Days and Mork and Mindy. I also watched Bewitched, but there are loads of good old British sitcoms too that Kelda might know? The Liver Birds, Bless this House, Love thy Neighbour(VERY racist but extreemly funny) George and Mildred, Porridge, It ain,t half hot mum,  The Good Life, To the manor born, Open all Hours, Some mothers do Ave em.(Good old Frank Spencer lol   :laugh:) Then there were our cop shows:  The Sweeney, (greatest of all time) The professionals, Z Cars, Softly Softly Task Force, Dixon of Dock Green. Ahhhhhh, those were the good old days before the bloody killjoy PC brigade came along and spoiled everything.  ::) ::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:52 am »

I know what you mean!  When I made the poll I originally had it as "pick 3."  But then I tried to respond to the poll myself and realized that I wanted more options!  So, I increased it to 5.  There are a lot of shows on the list that I really like.

But, I picked Laverne & Shirley, WKRP, The Facts of Life, Seinfeld and The Brady Bunch.  I could have added quite a few more to my selection.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:31:45 am »
I also voted for Golden Girls, Seinfeld and Welcome Back Kotter, although I can't remember the last one. But I know I loved it as a teenager. My cousin and I sang to the music and jumped from bed to bed whenever it was on. One day she missed and sprained a toe - oops. "Welcome ba-haa-aack-ouch!" Even though it really hurt, we laughed and giggled about the situation. Sweet memories. :laugh:

My second favorite after M*A*S*H is missing on the list: Roseanne. Gawd, I had such a crush on Darlene, and simultaneously a smaller crush on her BF David.

Hi Chrissi!  I love what you said about dancing and jumping to the Welcome Back Kotter theme song.  I did the same thing when Laverne and Shirley would come on when I was a kid!  I can totally relate to that.  I've never had a sitcom-music-dancing injury though.
 :laugh:

And, I'm sorry that I left so many good sitcom choices off the list. I really, really liked Roseanne too (somehow I just didn't think of it last night when I made the poll) and many of the other good shows that others have mentioned here just didn't make it due to space.  It's amazing to think about how many good sitcoms there have been!

I had a feeling that the "Other" option would be important to this poll.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
I think some of us are dating ourselves by our choices. Even I only know "I Love Lucy" from reruns--though Lucille Ball's "successor shows" to "I Love Lucy" were on in prime time in my childhood. But all the shows I listed as my "Other" choices date to my early childhood, in the mid-1960s.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:53 am »
What a great thread Amanda!!! I'm glad I found it. I think I need to sit down and watch some reruns of these this weekend. That seems like a great way to relax after I work on the house and the yard. I actually don't see anything listed that I don't like so it was hard to vote. The main two I notice that are missing are two of my favorites:  "Alice" and "One Day At A Time"  ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 02:15:20 pm »
This is a great idea, Amanda.  I love old sitcoms - in fact, there's not much on TV anymore that I do care for and I can't say I watch much of it lately.  But I used to always be able to turn to "TV Land" to find a favorite old sitcom and I'm disappointed to see that they've added reality shows to their schedule.   :-\

Like a lot of us, I also could've picked more than five, but I chose "The Dick Van Dyke Show"  as my "other" and also, Seinfeld, Golden Girls, The Andy Griffith Show and Mary Tyler Moore.   I've watched MASH so many times I think I know a lot of the episodes by heart.  And Marlo Thomas's "That Girl" character was one of the first females on TV to be independent-minded, single, and career-driven (even if she could be a little goofy at times LOL). That's one of the reasons Mary Tyler Moore was so great, too.   And I have to admit that a lot of the "I Love Lucy" episodes are hilarious, even if they're off-the-charts unrealistic. 

"Petticoat Junction" (What can I say, I love trains? I have a set of episodes on VHS, including the pilot.)

I'm jealous.  I used to love watching those re-runs because I wanted to live at The Shady Rest.   :)  It was so lovely and quaint, everyone was so friendly, the weather was always perfect, and if you were a woman you could apparently eat those huge, delicious, fattening meals that were served at the big round table three times a day and never gain any weight! LOL! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 02:32:15 pm »
There's also Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, The Munsters, and The Adams Family. And oh yeah The Beverly Hillbillies

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:27 pm »
I also loved "I Dream of Jeannie".

I always thought that bottle she lived in would make a very cool house!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:54 pm »
Somewhat to my surprise, I only picked one on the list, and then checked "Other."

I asked myself which shows I would make an effort to watch as broadcast reruns, or spring for the money to buy them on DVD. The only show on the list that qualified was "I Love Lucy."

Four more that I might have picked but that aren't on the list:

"Bewitched" (I own the first season on DVD.)
"The Beverly Hillbillies"
"Green Acres"

Great choices Jeff!!!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 02:35:53 pm »
Well I used to watch MASH, The Partridge Family, Happy Days and Mork and Mindy. I also watched Bewitched, but there are loads of good old British sitcoms too that Kelda might know? The Liver Birds, Bless this House, Love thy Neighbour(VERY racist but extreemly funny) George and Mildred, Porridge, It ain,t half hot mum,  The Good Life, To the manor born, Open all Hours, Some mothers do Ave em.(Good old Frank Spencer lol   :laugh:) Then there were our cop shows:  The Sweeney, (greatest of all time) The professionals, Z Cars, Softly Softly Task Force, Dixon of Dock Green. Ahhhhhh, those were the good old days before the bloody killjoy PC brigade came along and spoiled everything.  ::) ::)

What about Are You Being Served and Come Home Mrs. Noah?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:55 pm »
There's also Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, The Munsters, and The Adams Family. And oh yeah The Beverly Hillbillies

About The Munsters and Addam's Family...

I loved The Munsters in particular (and I liked the Addam's Family movies... better than the TV show actually).  I didn't put them on the list because I didn't really know how to characterize them as genres.

I guess they really are sitcoms.  They're like their own sub-category of monster/spooky-oriented sitcom.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:35 pm »
About The Munsters and Addam's Family...

I loved The Munsters in particular (and I liked the Addam's Family movies... better than the TV show actually).  I didn't put them on the list because I didn't really know how to characterize them as genres.

I guess they really are sitcoms.  They're like their own sub-category of monster/spooky-oriented sitcom.

That's a good description of The Munsters and the Addam's Family. I thought about that too. Would they really be considered sitcoms? I think you are right they are in their own sub-category. They certainly aren't they typical sitcom  :) By the way I also like The Munsters better than the Addams Family. I love the theme song for The Munsters too  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 10:14:45 pm »

I think having a great theme song must be one of the more important ingredients to a sitcom becoming a "classic."  It's not always the case... but when you think about the really good sitcoms there's often a great song associated with it.  And, if there's not a great song there's usually some other standard thing (like an opening) that always sticks in the minds of the audience.  Like Seinfeld.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 11:46:24 pm »
And then there's Married With Children

Offline optom3

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 11:51:48 pm »
What about Are You Being Served and Come Home Mrs. Noah?

Not forgetting butterflies, man about the house and only fools and horses.and Dads army ????

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 12:30:15 am »
That's a good description of The Munsters and the Addam's Family. I thought about that too. Would they really be considered sitcoms? I think you are right they are in their own sub-category. They certainly aren't they typical sitcom  :) By the way I also like The Munsters better than the Addams Family. I love the theme song for The Munsters too  ;D

Da-na-na-na! *snap* *snap* Da-na-na-na! *snap* *snap*

I was an Addam's Family person! lol

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 01:12:52 am »
Amanda, I think you are right on track with sit-coms and the associated soundtrack.  Can you imagine M*A*S*H without SUICIDE IS PAINLESS? Or FRIENDS without I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU?  Or ALL IN THE FAMILY'S THOSE WERE THE DAYS?  OK, I will stop now. :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 06:50:25 pm »
SEINFELD was the only show I picked.   I am a big fan of the original Star Trek series. I've watched each episode a zillion times. Unfortunately, it's not aired with much frequency. I think the SPIKE network airs the newer S.T. series, but I don't find them that engaging.

I used to like Hogan's Hero's and Gilligan's Island in syndication.  I know I've seen each episode a number of times.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 08:01:17 pm »

Me, too, David!

I didn't like scary stuff when I was a small boy. The first time I saw The Addams Family, my mother actually made me watch it with her on a Halloween! I loved it!

I never much cared for The Munsters. On the one hand--no offense intended, Munsters fans--I always suspected it was a rip-off of The Addams Family (just as many years later, I figured Moonlighting--Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd--was originally a rip-off of Remington Steele.  ::) )  On the other hand, it always seemed to me that the Munsters were, well, monsters, but the Addamses could be real people--very weird real people, but real people. Plus, Gomez had that toy train thing goin' on. ...  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 08:02:25 pm »
I also loved "I Dream of Jeannie".

I always thought that bottle she lived in would make a very cool house!

And Jeannie was the proof that genies have no belly buttons!  :o  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 08:08:42 pm »
RE: Petticoat Junction:

I'm jealous.  I used to love watching those re-runs because I wanted to live at The Shady Rest.   :)  It was so lovely and quaint, everyone was so friendly, the weather was always perfect, and if you were a woman you could apparently eat those huge, delicious, fattening meals that were served at the big round table three times a day and never gain any weight! LOL! 

I've seen sets of episodes on DVD, but the DVD sets don't seem to include the pilot episode.

I can't prove it, but I believe that Petticoat Junction was inspired by or adapted from a British comedy movie called The Titfield Thunderbolt because the movie was also about people in a small town trying to preserve their local train service, just like the folks in Hooterville were always trying to save the "Hooterville Cannonball" from being scrapped by Mr. Bedloe.

I also have two of the Petticoat Junction HO-scale train sets.  ;D

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 11:58:50 am »
well i picked golden girls, family ties, and sienfeld.

other fav's that aren't on there are 'friends', wil & grace, everybody loves raymond, gilligan's island, the monkey's, ....just to name a few.

oh yeah, and 'growing pains'!  loved that one!

does anyone remember ''three's a crowd" ....a spin-off of three's company, after jack got married and lived with his wife and her dad?  it didn't last long.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 04:40:37 pm »
One of these days somebody should start a poll for the worst sitcoms of all time. I have a tie between two: My Mother the Car, about a guy whose dead mother came back as an antique car, and Me and the Chimp, about, well, a guy and a chimp.  :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 07:34:59 pm »
One of these days somebody should start a poll for the worst sitcoms of all time. I have a tie between two: My Mother the Car, about a guy whose dead mother came back as an antique car, and Me and the Chimp, about, well, a guy and a chimp.  :laugh:

How about Punky Brewster?  I know that one was relatively popular, but I always remember cringing while watching it.  Jeff, I think bad sitcoms might be a really funny poll!  Go for it!
8)

well i picked golden girls, family ties, and sienfeld.

other fav's that aren't on there are 'friends', wil & grace, everybody loves raymond, gilligan's island, the monkey's, ....just to name a few.

oh yeah, and 'growing pains'!  loved that one!

does anyone remember ''three's a crowd" ....a spin-off of three's company, after jack got married and lived with his wife and her dad?  it didn't last long.

Thanks Bud, yep, you're right that there are a lot of good shows that I just didn't fit on the list.  I stopped when the list hit 30 options for this poll. It's amazing to realize how many good shows there really have been over the years. 

I think it's great if folks keep bringing up and discussing other options that aren't on this particular list.

I'm also really amazed at how popular the Golden Girls is!  I always really liked that show too.  But, it's fascinating to see that it's beating all other options at the moment.  The writing for that show was very smart and quick.  And I love Bea Arthur.
8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 08:09:24 pm »
I'm also really amazed at how popular the Golden Girls is!  I always really liked that show too.  But, it's fascinating to see that it's beating all other options at the moment.  The writing for that show was very smart and quick.  And I love Bea Arthur.
8)

Are you kidding? Just about every gay man I know is convinced he's one of the Golden Girls!

The ones who think they're Dorothy are usually Rose, and most of them are really Blanche.

Except me. I'm more like Sophia. ...   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 10:05:31 pm »
......like the folks in Hooterville were always trying to save the "Hooterville Cannonball" from being scrapped by Mr. Bedloe.

Ahh, yes, nasty Mr. Bedloe!  That character actor was forever playing cranky old guys/villains! 

The ones who think they're Dorothy are usually Rose, and most of them are really Blanche.

:laugh:   :laugh:  The writing for the Golden Girls really was smart and very funny!  And the characters were perfectly cast. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 01:28:40 pm »
Ahh, yes, nasty Mr. Bedloe!  That character actor was forever playing cranky old guys/villains! 

Homer Bedloe was played by veteran character actor Charles Lane, who died July 9, 2007, at the age of 102.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 02:06:46 pm »
Homer Bedloe was played by veteran character actor Charles Lane, who died July 9, 2007, at the age of 102.

I didn't realize he died only a year ago!  He was definitely one of the most recognizable - and successful - character actors ever.  I also remember him as Henry Potter's rent collector in It's A Wonderful Life.  I found this 100th birthday tribute on youtube:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua1weS_Aepw[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 02:09:53 pm »
Great thread, Bud!

I missed seeing FRIENDS, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and BEWITCHED. But it's probably OK, because I already could have picked more than five.

I deleted THAT GIRL because I haven't seen it since the '60s and I can't say what I'd think if I watched it now. I sure liked it at the time. But then, I felt the same way about GIDGET until it came on in reruns a couple of years ago and I realized how sexist and dated it was.

What amazed me more is how many old sitcoms I never really DID like. Even (*dons hardhat*) I LOVE LUCY.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 02:36:19 pm »
I didn't realize he died only a year ago!  He was definitely one of the most recognizable - and successful - character actors ever.  I also remember him as Henry Potter's rent collector in It's A Wonderful Life.  I found this 100th birthday tribute on youtube.

For me, the strange thing was, just before he died, I had watched The Music Man on video. He played the town constable of River City.

I don't think Hollywood has a place for character actors like him anymore.  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 02:44:37 pm »
I deleted THAT GIRL because I haven't seen it since the '60s and I can't say what I'd think if I watched it now. I sure liked it at the time. But then, I felt the same way about GIDGET until it came on in reruns a couple of years ago and I realized how sexist and dated it was.

Well, for it's time, That Girl is now considered groundbreaking. Anne Marie was a single career woman even before Mary Richards.

The man who composed the show's theme, Earle Hagan (sp?), just died. I saw a tribute to him on AOL just yesterday.

What amazed me more is how many old sitcoms I never really DID like. Even (*dons hardhat*) I LOVE LUCY.

Hey, maybe your taste just doesn't run to slapstick. In any case, "Let he who is withoug guilt. ..." It won't be me. There are many "classics" that I didn't like (Seinfeld) or never watched (Everybody Loves Raymond). Others I was a faithful viewer in their day but have no desire to revisit (e.g., The Mary Tyler Moore Show, either of Bob Newhart's shows).

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 04:21:06 pm »

Leave It To Beaver is definately one of my favorites! I had such a huge crush on Wally (Tony Dow) when I was a kid!

Oh me too. I couldn't really articulate it till I got older but yeah!
Wally was kinda hot!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 05:42:18 pm »
Didn't you always wonder about this line:

A hot dog makes her lose control

Even if you take it at face value, it doesn't make any sense. Who loses control ... over a hot dog??

I think those theme-song writers were up to some mischief.  ::)  ;)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 06:09:29 pm »
Anybody remember the Patty Duke Show? For some reason I watched that when I was little. I didn't really understand it, but it was always on. Mom watched it.

David, I only have vague memories of it, but I don't think anybody really understood that show!  Patty Duke won an Oscar for "The Miracle Worker" and I think they were desperate to take advantage of that, so someone had a wacky idea and they went with it! 

I think those theme-song writers were up to some mischief.  ::)  ;)

:laugh: :laugh:  I was just about to make the same observation - I can just picture them writing that line!  Yeah, they were definitely messing with us! 

Marie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:32 pm »
There are many "classics" that I didn't like (Seinfeld) or never watched (Everybody Loves Raymond). Others I was a faithful viewer in their day but have no desire to revisit (e.g., The Mary Tyler Moore Show, either of Bob Newhart's shows).

I really loved Seinfeld, and voted for it here.  But, it took me quite a while to get into it I recall.  For maybe even many seasons, I just never really was all that excited by it.  But, at some point a light bulb went on or something for me and I totally fell in love with it and watched it regularly.  I think it's an acquired taste.  My Grandmother used to completely love Seinfeld too... and used to do the most adorable imitations of some of the characters.  It was really endearing. 

And, about the Newhart shows... my Mom and I used to love watching the second Newhart show (the one where he was an innkeeper in Vermont) together.  We watched it really faithfully and my Mom has since purchased some of the seasons on DVD.  I completely missed the first Newhart sitcom... I don't think I've ever even seen a single episode of the first one.  But, the Vermont Newhart show definitely seems very dated now.

One interesting thing about Bob Newhart, is that apparently he's Ellen's comedic icon and to a certain degree she models her style after his.  I remember she had him on her show once and was sitting in awe of him.  It was cute.  I really like his dead-pan humor.  And, you can sort of see a similarity, in terms of humor-style, with Ellen when you think about it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2008, 08:32:06 am »
I remember all of those, David, although for the record most of them were in syndication -- NOT prime time -- by the time I watched them as a kid.

It's funny; The Andy Griffith Show theme is extremely memorable, as is, to a lesser extent, That Girl, The Mod Squad and The Dick Van Dyke Show.

I can't remember how Gomer Pyle goes, though. I never watched I Spy.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 04:56:33 am »
The Gomer Pyle theme song is clear in my head, a very stirring march, with a little whimsy thrown in. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAA2Unb0B4[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »
The Gomer Pyle theme song is clear in my head, a very stirring march, with a little whimsy thrown in. 

Thank you, Elle! You've filled a glaring hole in my sitcom memories.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 12:13:31 pm »
I found this really cool site and I thought I would share it with y'all.
You can look up old TV shows, toys, candy etc from the turn of the century (1900's) to the 90's.
I have had  a great time reminiscing!

http://www.skooldays.com/

I found one of my favorites from Childhood on there!! 

ULTRA MAN!!!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

retropian

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 04:20:54 am »
You can look up old TV shows, toys, candy etc from the turn of the century (1900's) to the 90's.

ULTRA MAN!!!

Awsome! I love revisiting old TV from my youth! I remember Ultra Man too! I especially love the original Underdog and many many years later I came across it running on a local station early in the AM. Still loved it. My favorite quote "A good blow to the head with this brick should do it." I made that my motto for a time.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 12:56:45 pm »
I picked I Love Lucy (who doesn't love I Love Lucy?!), Leave It To Beaver, The Andy Griffith Show, Family Ties (I loved Michael J. Fox's Alex character - so funny!) and Seinfeld (it has me in tears laughing so hard while watching!).  Another show I love to watch faithfully that I didn't notice on the list is, of course, Everybody Loves Raymond - another show I laugh out loud regularly while watching! 

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 01:11:43 pm »

ULTRA MAN!!!

GREAT SITE Richard!!! Thanks for posting it.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »

I love the Gomer Pyle show!!! He cracks me up with all the weird things he gets into  ;D

retropian

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2008, 12:36:16 am »

I loved both The Adams Family and The Munsters when I was a kid too. I named my very 1st dog, 'Uncle Fester", after  my favorite character. I was about 4yo and had no idea what 'fester' meant.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2008, 12:08:46 pm »
I loved both The Adams Family and The Munsters when I was a kid too. I named my very 1st dog, 'Uncle Fester", after  my favorite character. I was about 4yo and had no idea what 'fester' meant.

I like both of those too. Once when I was little I had a dream that The Munsters had captured me and wouldn't let me go.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2008, 06:35:12 pm »
What about "Mama's Family"?