Author Topic: What do You Give as Graduation Presents?  (Read 3236 times)

injest

What do You Give as Graduation Presents?
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:36:59 am »
My neice is graduating as valedictorian of her school..  ;D ;D ;D

and I had thought about buying her some diamond earrings or a necklace that she could keep forever...but she has a list of stuff she wanted..

soooo....should I get her something from her list or the original present I planned??

what have you given as graduation gifts?

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What do You Give as Graduation Presents?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:29:41 am »
I'd go for the necklace or something she can wear in the future, something that she will remember her day and you and your family.

I gave my friend a portrait when he graduated university, its still on the dining room wall

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:01:55 pm »
Congratulations to your niece - that's quite an accomplishment!

Invitations to graduation parties are starting to pile up on my desk, too.  I guess what I give depends on how close I am to the graduate.  I've often given money, but I know that's not very personal (but always appreciated).  Sometimes I've given money and a small personal gift such as an engraved keyring or a piece of jewelry.  When the graduate is someone very close, I've sometimes put together a small memory/photo album with pictures I've taken over the years that they didn't have.  That always goes over very well.  I've also given books that I've found meaningful (and that I know the graduate would appreciate,too).  I have a friend that always puts together a kind of "college survival" gift basket for graduates.

I wonder if there are regional differences in common gift choices. Does your niece have an "official" list like a registry?  I'm not familiar with that for graduations.   Or is it just an informal wish list that you know about?  I do like your idea of a gift she could keep forever. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

injest

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:26:46 pm »
Congratulations to your niece - that's quite an accomplishment!

Invitations to graduation parties are starting to pile up on my desk, too.  I guess what I give depends on how close I am to the graduate.  I've often given money, but I know that's not very personal (but always appreciated).  Sometimes I've given money and a small personal gift such as an engraved keyring or a piece of jewelry.  When the graduate is someone very close, I've sometimes put together a small memory/photo album with pictures I've taken over the years that they didn't have.  That always goes over very well.  I've also given books that I've found meaningful (and that I know the graduate would appreciate,too).  I have a friend that always puts together a kind of "college survival" gift basket for graduates.

I wonder if there are regional differences in common gift choices. Does your niece have an "official" list like a registry?  I'm not familiar with that for graduations.   Or is it just an informal wish list that you know about?  I do like your idea of a gift she could keep forever. 

Marie

oh that IS a good idea....lort knows I have a ton of pics of her.

This list is just an informal thing she sent me when I asked her what she wanted..

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:23:57 pm »
soooo....should I get her something from her list or the original present I planned??

How about a compromise? Maybe she has something small (meaning not pricey) that you could give her additionally to a necklace?

I think a necklace is a lovely idea, it's something she can have for her whole life and surely will appreciate it all the more with the years gone by.

Earrings, well, I've lost too many of them in my life so I personally put earrings not in the "for a lifetime" category. But maybe that's just me and others manage to keep their earrings :laugh:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:45:27 am »
My nephew is graduating from his military academy next Sunday.  After lots of mulling it over, I ordered him a beautiful leather briefcase for his laptop, embossed with his initials and last name.  I imagine him carrying it around with him at college and getting it all nicely battered and beat up.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...