Author Topic: [Announcement] Server Change Leads to Server Outage  (Read 26781 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: [Announcement] Server Change Leads to Server Outage
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 11:19:42 pm »
i had to type the password a second time again tonight...

where is that "forever" thing Shasta?   can I find that button now that i'm logged in, or only in the midst of logging in?
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:21:48 pm »
oh yeah, i also just noticed that at the top where it used to say "you've been logged in for x days hours months" - there's nothing...

::)

hmnnn....

so all that time i had accumulated, all gone??? 

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

injest

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 11:58:03 pm »
oh yeah, i also just noticed that at the top where it used to say "you've been logged in for x days hours months" - there's nothing...

hmnnn....

so all that time i had accumulated, all gone??? 

nope! your stats are all still there....dont worry, Phillip and John will fix it! Just give them a little time...

in the meantime we are really sorry for the hassle and are sure glad ya'll are sticking with us!

:-* :-*
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:57:31 am by injest »

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 02:03:33 am »
Starting *now* (2:00am, Eastern time), I've reverted BetterMost back to using our domain name. 

So, you should no longer see the "http://72.233.7.161" in the address bar of your web browser.  You should now again see "http://bettermost.net".

The system may log you out.  If it does, simply log in again and everything should be back to normal.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 08:42:02 am »
The system may log you out.  If it does, simply log in again and everything should be back to normal.

Seems to be for me!  :D

Thanks, John!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »
For those who either don't stay logged in, or it seems to forget who you are, please try these:

1) Log in (if not already).
2) Click the Logout button.  You may get an error the first time.  If so, try it again.
3) Log back in, checking the box to stay logged in.
4) Close and then reopen browser window.

Does it work now?

Option 2 is to delete the BetterMost cookie you now have.  Here is how to do that in IE:

Logout from BetterMost before trying.  It may also be helpful to delete your Temporary Internet Files, but there is no need to delete all of your cookies as we'll be singling out just one.

1) Click Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History->Settings
2) Click View Files
3) Sort by Filename
4) Look for "cookie: [email protected]/"
5) Select filename
6) Delete it.

Close browser, and then reopen and log in to BetterMost and click the box to stay logged in, which should set the cookie.

Firefox has some different ways to get to the same place.  You are looking to view the files in your temporary Internet cache and then locating and deleting the old BetterMost cookie and it will create a new one next time.

As to the issue of entering a password twice, this is a common problem across many SMF forums, and there has never been an absolute tracking down of why it happens.  The first time you enter your password, it claims it was incorrect, but the second time it works.  It is an internal programming issue that they've never absolutely found.

If the login issues continue, I will regenerate a new cookie for everyone by changing the name of our existing one.  That can create issues for the entire community so I am going to hold that option and use it only if these other options don't work.

The e-mail notifications should resume working by now - the e-mail server requires some time to catch up with our IP address change.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 08:16:43 pm »
For those who either don't stay logged in, or it seems to forget who you are, please try these:

1) Log in (if not already).
2) Click the Logout button.  You may get an error the first time.  If so, try it again.
3) Log back in, checking the box to stay logged in.
4) Close and then reopen browser window.

Does it work now?

This seems to have worked for me.  Thanks, Phillip!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!