Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Junk Food?  (Read 27039 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What's Your Favorite Junk Food?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2008, 03:13:18 pm »

Have you ever heard of Bubble & Squeak.......typically it is left over veg and roast potatoes (from the Sunday roast) mashed together then fried.  Delicious  ;D

Oh, I never knew that's what it is, that sounds delicious.  I always assumed it was animal parts.  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2008, 03:35:09 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of french fries as I prefer proper home made chips, then yes......HP sauce has to go on. Its especially nice on Bubble & Squeak. 
Have you ever heard of Bubble & Squeak.......typically it is left over veg and roast potatoes (from the Sunday roast) mashed together then fried.  Delicious  ;D

Nope, I've never heard of Bubble & Squeak before, but it sounds pretty good. Do they call it that because of the sound it makes when it's fried?

I HAVE heard of people reheating leftovers and mashing it all together. And I think we have a special name for it too but I just call it "reheated leftovers"!  ;)  ;D

It does sound good Chris. I've never thought about frying leftovers before. I'll try it sometime. :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 12:04:38 am »

Bubble & Squeak really is a funny name.  I've never heard of it before.  :laugh:

But, speaking of leftovers... tonight I watched one of Paula Dean's shows on Food Network and she made a really tasty looking (and rather decadent... as her recipes often are) casserole with leftover mashed potatoes (the leftover mashed potatoes I guess were the original inspiration for the dish).  It was a layered casserole with the bottom being the mashed potatoes, then covered with sour cream, then covered in onions and peppers sauteed in lots of butter, then cheese, then sliced roasted potatoes and then I think it was all repeated once and topped with cheese.  Then she baked the whole thing.  It definitely looked like comfort food.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2008, 01:15:47 am »
Bubble & Squeak really is a funny name.  I've never heard of it before.  :laugh:

But, speaking of leftovers... tonight I watched one of Paula Dean's shows on Food Network and she made a really tasty looking (and rather decadent... as her recipes often are) casserole with leftover mashed potatoes (the leftover mashed potatoes I guess were the original inspiration for the dish).  It was a layered casserole with the bottom being the mashed potatoes, then covered with sour cream, then covered in onions and peppers sauteed in lots of butter, then cheese, then sliced roasted potatoes and then I think it was all repeated once and topped with cheese.  Then she baked the whole thing.  It definitely looked like comfort food.

My friend Rick met Paula once in Savannah. He "conveniently" bumped into her in one of the stores. Knowing Rick he was probably stalking her. But I digress.  ;)

Anyway, he said Paula is every bit as friendly in real life as she is on her show. He told me she stood there and talked to him for about five minutes. The woman exudes Southern charm and hospitality. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 02:22:44 am »
I read three recipes for bubble & squeak and then made a version of it for lunch today.  Deelish.

injest

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 07:42:46 am »
Another great poll, Amanda!

I chose potato chips - barbecue flavored specifically.

Pizza - I prefer a thin crust, but I won't turn away from a thick crust.  I like mushrooms, black olives and anchovies as toppings.  I know most people hate anchovies, but I love them on pizza.  Luckily, my husband and son like them, too!

Soft pretzels - they're actually pretty easy to make at home.

Good chocolate - Although I know there can be a big difference in the quality of chocolates,  I don't think I ever met a chocolate I didn't like   :)  (I don't like white chocolate at all,  but I don't think that really qualifies as chocolate.)

Brownies - which would be my "Other" choice.  I like to underbake my brownies, just slightly, and add walnuts. 
Marie

you ever put caramel in the mix and pecans? YUM!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:43 pm »

Here's a blast from the past:  "Two Fat Ladies".  I'll bet you Brits will remember Clarissa and Jennifer.  While I couldn't find the episode where they made  bubble and squeak, here's the opener:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xADTByEPWV4[/youtube]

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 08:14:26 pm »
Weekend Shopping List

• Chocolate Squares
  • Marshmallows
  • Graham Crackers
  • Caramel
  • Fluff
  • Peanut Butter
  • Bread
  • Whisky

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2008, 10:55:37 pm »
Weekend Shopping List

• Chocolate Squares
  • Marshmallows
  • Graham Crackers
  • Caramel
  • Fluff
  • Peanut Butter
  • Bread
  • Whisky

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That shopping list sounds awesome Lynne!  8) ;D

And, yum to caramel... one of my favorite forms of candy.  I inherited that from my Mom... she adores caramel.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:47 pm »
I just got back from Sonic where I shared a caramel sundae with my Yorkie -- OMG -- I'm so bad. It was a "small"!! I'm supposed to be dieting. I'm supposed to be drinking water and eating tuna on toast. And here ya'll are talking about caramel--making me feel normal for cheating. Thanks.  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~