Author Topic: Close encounters of the unexpected Brokie kind  (Read 3371 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Close encounters of the unexpected Brokie kind
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:09:46 am »
Hi all,

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, because it actually happened a couple of months ago. Finally, after more than two years of being a Brokie, I found another almost-Brokie, in real life!  :o :D

As I've mentioned before, I have NEVER, in all of those two+ years, found anyone who likes BBM more than, well, the amount you'd like any good movie. Like they might mention liking it and then go on to discuss how much they enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine or whatever. I've come to avoid even mentioning BBM in most situations, because I know I'll only be disappointed by people's reactions.

But one night in March, I went out to a movie with some friends. One of the trailers was for Get Smart. After we came out of the movie, we stood talking in the theater lobby about this and that, and someone mentioned Anne Hathaway in the Get Smart trailer, and wondered what other films she'd been in. I mentioned The Devil Wears Prada.

But then, another member of our group, let's call her Joan, said, "Oh, and she was in Brokeback Mountain! Oh my gosh, that was SUCH a good movie. I just loved, loved, loved that movie. It's one of my favorite movies of all time!"

I said "Oh I know, me too," and left it at that. The conversation changed, because the other members of our party hadn't seen BBM. But someday I hope I'll find a way to bring it up again, because this is the very first time in history I've ever met anybody whose reactions showed an appropriate level of passion.

What experiences have you all had with unexpected Brokie encounters?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:15:43 pm by seriouscrayons »

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Close encounters of the unexpected Brokie kind
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:51:03 am »
I have only had the "appropriate" response form 2 people,one was the one who led me to move half way across the world,only to realise love will just hop on the plane with you.He is a straight guy,and loved it and was broken in equal measure as it was "our" story.I simply cannot talk to him about it though,just way too painful.

The other is my brother,who is over in Japan.After many years of the 2 of us not really getting on,we suddenly became very close,partly due to me leaving the U.K and he realised he would not See me on his Xmas trips home anymore,partly because we grew up and cleared the air.

BBM has brought us even closer.He went to see it as he is a massive fan of Ang Lee.He has only been able to watch it a couple of times since,as it just plunges him into depression.BBM was his life as well,only partly missed opportunities and the fact that he can't live with his wife,but can't live without her.
Consequently, she is in India with his daughter and he goes from Japan 2-3 times a year fro about 6 weeks at a time.I am afraid my whole family has baggage.

We can talk for hours about the film,his degree is in English and he loves to endlessly discuss books and films.He is an ideal BBM partner as he knows me so well.In fact even our poetry is similar,except his is better and published.

That's it though.I once mentioned it en passant to a group of 11 other women and no one even vaguely took the baton and ran with it.
I remember I was so excited

I remember being very excited about having my hair done as the guy who does it ,is mid 60's gay,and has been with his  partner for decades, having once been married and had 2 kids. Perfect BBM fodder I thought.Particularly with all the parallels and Florida, even now being fairly homophobic.
But again a big nothing when I mentioned it, apart from a throwaway comment about feeling very sorry for Alma.It is not as if he is afraid to discuss things either.He is part hairdresser,part psychologist and general observer of life.

These days I just keep my mouth shut, because as silly as it sounds,I almost take it personally when people do not share my enthusiasm

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:06:36 pm »
I always dream of this happening but it hasn't yet. My talking about the movie during counseling persuaded my counselor to see it, but I don't think that counts. A couple of coworkers mentioned they saw it, but none raved about it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:57 pm »
I wonder if any of us have someone we already know who is as passionate about it as we are, but just afraid to say it. Hmm. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone like that, but it really wouldn't surprise me if there are people out there who won't talk about it at all. Look how hesitant we all are about mentioning it.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:36:16 am »

I don't know how I've missed this thread for so long.

Yep, the idea of randomly meeting another Brokie in real life is very appealing.  Closer to the time of BBM's initial release and the release of the DVD I knew two people who really enjoyed it and liked it well enough to see it more than once.  But, I've never yet bumped into a Brokie or a potential Brokie in my daily life.

I often wonder what it would be like to reveal the extent of my Brokie identity to folks in my real life too.  I'm sure lots of folks would be completely stunned and unaware.

K, were you ever able to bring the topic of BBM up again with "Joan"?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:15:38 pm »
I was pleasantly surprised to have a brief Brokie conversation with the conductor of the "Magic Flute" production I just completed.  He's around my age, has a wry sense of humor and is a bit of a curmudgeon.  The subject came up some way or another, and he said he'd been unprepared for the emotional effect it had on him.  At dinner after seeing the movie, he was brought to tears.  I told him I'd loved it, too, and he may have been wondering why I knew so much about it, but I didn't tell him the extent of my Brokieness.  All things in moderation--til you know someone well, I think.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 12:36:26 pm »
I told him I'd loved it, too, and he may have been wondering why I knew so much about it, but I didn't tell him the extent of my Brokieness.  All things in moderation--til you know someone well, I think.

Yes! This is how I feel about revealing information about the Brokie community/ my secret Brokie identity too.

It's something I feel fairly shy about because it's such a unique phenomenon.  I feel like it would be hard to explain it properly and to convey how it works/ what it means to people.

I was fascinated by Ted and Lisa's account of meeting Jake and explaining/ discussing how the Brokie community works.  Even something like that would make feel a little bit bashful about explaining Brokiedom.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »
K, were you ever able to bring the topic of BBM up again with "Joan"?

No. Joan lives in Denver, and I haven't seen her since. However, come to think of it, she's only a couple of degrees of separation removed from Front-Ranger! And it's actually fairly likely that Lee and Joan could find themselves in each other's company sometime.

Lee, perhaps you'll figure out what I mean. Joan is the mother of someone who knows someone who is close to you.

::)  I don't know why I feel the need to be so discrete about it. I guess it seems wrong to refer to other people on a public board without their knowledge.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »
I've met a few people who are not members of the forums, but really loved Brokeback.

In fact, I met a guy on one of the dating websites who told me that if he hears the music, he'll still cry.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!