Author Topic: Common Sense......????  (Read 6391 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Common Sense......????
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 10:49:59 pm »
I guess, reflecting and comparing issues twenty years apart is how a lot of us think of the past as the good ol days.

What is scarey, is that in twenty years time, our kids and grandkids, will probably call these days the good ol days.

Well, IMO there were never any "good ole days".  Just people being nostalgic.  Listen to the stories your parents and grandparents tell.  I've heard hair-raising stories of spousal abuse, attempted date rape, substance abusers, blatant open discrimination and bigotry, misogyny, teenage pregnancy/out of wedlock births, extramarital affairs and child abuse ranging from the early 1900's to the present day.

Things were never much better.  Things are just more open now, than then.

injest

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:59:59 pm »
Well, IMO there were never any "good ole days".  Just people being nostalgic.  Listen to the stories your parents and grandparents tell.  I've heard hair-raising stories of spousal abuse, attempted date rape, substance abusers, blatant open discrimination and bigotry, misogyny, teenage pregnancy/out of wedlock births, extramarital affairs and child abuse ranging from the early 1900's to the present day.

Things were never much better.  Things are just more open now, than then.

I wonder also if we tend to remember things in the best light. We were younger and had more innocence and hope then.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 11:08:56 pm »

Scenario:   Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse.   Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang.   State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.   Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.   

This is the only scenario that really gives me pause because I truly do, personally consider that kind of whipping to be child abuse.  Both the 57 and 07 versions of what might happen seem exaggerated.  But, in the scenario described I would hope that something would happen for the father to stop treating his child that way.  Some kind of intervention with the father seems warranted in this scenario regardless of whether it was the 50s or last year.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 11:24:20 pm »
I wonder also if we tend to remember things in the best light. We were younger and had more innocence and hope then.

True Jess.......reminds me of the lyrics of the song by Barbara Streisand.....

Can it be that it was all so simple then,
Or has time rewritten every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again,
Tell me? would we? could we?
Memories may be beautiful and yet,
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget.
So it's the laughter
We will remember,
Whenever we remember
The way we were;
The way we were.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection