Author Topic: Do You Pray?  (Read 16102 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Do You Pray?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 05:01:42 pm »
Not being a believer, I don't pray.  However, I meditate for both physical and mental well-being. 

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 06:09:47 am »
I don't pray. I just don't see the point in it.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 12:27:43 pm »
Is praying comforting and hoping ??

After reading all your wonderful posts, that just came to my mind!

At least, we want to make the world a better place ! - which is a gift from the Infinity,
because I can NOT make all the beautiful snowflakes which are all different; I can NOT make a planet like the Earth, the Moon, The Stars; but I can enjoy them and the snowflakes and all humans and other beings!! And can create peace and joys among all too !

Au revoir,
hugs to all ! Wonderful thread  subject David provided and may it continue forever !!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 09:53:26 pm »
yes, I pray.  It's not a daily ritual, but I do pray when I need to feel close to God.  Sometimes, I just offer up a prayer of thanks.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 10:02:55 pm »

No, I don't pray.  I'm not religious or spiritual in any way. I'm particularly wary of organized religion (in any form or denomination).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 10:29:57 pm »
No, not really, even when I felt I was close to death several times recently on a mountain. But being there did make me believe that there must be a God of some kind, because something was responsible for me making it to the bottom in one piece, and it was hardly just me!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:30 am »
No, not really, even when I felt I was close to death several times recently on a mountain. But being there did make me believe that there must be a God of some kind, because something was responsible for me making it to the bottom in one piece, and it was hardly just me!

You were close to death several times recently, Lee? What happened?!!  :o  :'(  :'(  :-*
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline seadragon16

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 11:23:25 am »
No, I don't pray and I am very anti organised religion. I just cannot accept that so many terrible things could happen in the world if there was a 'god' and overall, religion seems to be responsible for more harm than good.

I was christened when I was a baby and sometimes used to go to catholic mass with my grandad when I was very little (I used to like singing hymns!  :)), but it was more to keep my grandparents happy and I didn't go anymore after they died. My mum is a lapsed catholic and my dad an atheist.

But from about the ages of 14 to my early 20's I used to write a kind of diary, you know, long rants about how unfair life was and who I fancied that week, with a few quite good bits thrown in (embarassing to read now  ::)) but whenever I was worried about something or had a difficult decision to make, I used to write directly to someone (???) and ask them what I should do or ask them to make sure things would be ok and even commented a couple of times that I didn't even know who it was I was asking/directing what I was saying at.

I knew it was never 'god' I was intending to write to, but who knows who it was?  ???

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 07:00:47 pm »
You do not need to be part of organized religion to pray, thank goodness!

One can NOT blame God, or Infinity, or Manitou, or another, for faults that humans do, such as murder! - I heared that and realized that now... more and more !

If it would not be for God which is Good, and some Good Helpful humans, I would not be alive, since I have been helped many times!

To me, God is Wonderful and so are many humans
!! - So I pray thanking the Spirit and Humans who helped me and who also accepted my help, and I ask daily, or more often, for health, happiness as well as properity for myself, my family and all others I have known, I know and will know, so we can all be helped and help ourselves!! - Prayers, that saved and saves me in many wondrous ways!

Maybe, it helped you too?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:43 pm »
Religion and spirituality are two vastly different concepts IMHO, that share very little in common.

For example, when I was younger, I was a very religious person, practicing religion in my everyday life and living an outwardly religious life. However, now that I look back on those distant days, I can see, with the benefit of hindsight, that I was not a particularly spiritual person back then.

Now, however, in my seniority, I consider myself to be a far more spiritual person than I even was in my youth, even though I no longer practice formal religion.

Given a choice, and having personally experienced both religion and spirituality in my life, I would choose the latter over the former any day.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν