Author Topic: Do You Pray?  (Read 16253 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Do You Pray?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 09:20:35 am »
Kerry, I can see your point, but both are OK in some ways, as well as non-religion countries or persons are too???

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 12:11:44 pm »
It's funny how alot of people say they don't believe in a god then when death comes knocking on their door they all of the sudden get mighty religious.  Do I pray? of course....to think there is a God out there only makes sense.  I look around at creation and think someone must have created all of this.  To think we came from a chaotic explosion that created life beginning in goo to being hairy apes to being what we are today boggles the mind.  It takes more faith to believe in that then to believing in a god.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 12:17:13 pm »
It's funny how alot of people say they don't believe in a god then when death comes knocking on their door they all of the sudden get mighty religious.  Do I pray? of course....to think there is a God out there only makes sense.  I look around at creation and think someone must have created all of this.  To think we came from a chaotic explosion that created life beginning in goo to being hairy apes to being what we are today boggles the mind.  It takes more faith to believe in that then to believing in a god.

It's probably fear.  Fear of the unknown and/or total extinction and its comforting to hope that there's someplace else to go.  There have been quite a few atheists though, who died atheists.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 01:29:50 pm »

See to me, evolution makes perfect sense.  The idea that scientific processes of all kinds take place and have taken place forever, without any kind of rational reason or grand plan behind them just seems obvious to me. 

When it comes to many of the major, organized religions' explanations of how life came to be... the false note to me is how human-centric most of those explanations are.  If there is a "god"-like force out there, I find it hard to believe that the details of human behavior and existence would be the prime concern given the immensity of everything that must exist in the universe (much of which humans have no idea about given our very limited range of exploration). 

It's probably fear.  Fear of the unknown and/or total extinction and its comforting to hope that there's someplace else to go.  There have been quite a few atheists though, who died atheists.

My feeling is that, as Del mentions here, a lot of religion and religious stories are about humans trying to assuage their fears of the unknown (and I think this cuts across all civilizations from the ancient Egyptians and Greeks to contemporary civilizations with current forms of religion).  Voltaire once talked about the idea that if god didn't create humans then humans had to create god as a way of explaining the unknown to themselves.

I personally find a lot more comfort in philosophy than in religion.  And, I think it's easier for me to be somewhat cynical about religion because my parents didn't raise me within any church, etc.  We celebrate Christmas mostly as a social thing.  My Dad was raised Episcopal and my Mom was raised Methodist, but religion hasn't really ever played a major role in my family.  So, I often stand back and look at religion as an intellectual puzzle or a set of philosophical ideals that can be debated and discussed.  I'm sure that this kind of thing might be harder for people who were raised with a strong religious upbringing.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 11:11:47 pm »
Merci atz!

You saying:
  My Dad was raised Episcopal and my Mom was raised Methodist,                   

Atz, then may I say that maybe you are therefore a relative to Ennis and Jack ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 12:10:16 am »
It's funny how alot of people say they don't believe in a god then when death comes knocking on their door they all of the sudden get mighty religious. Do I pray? of course....to think there is a God out there only makes sense.  I look around at creation and think someone must have created all of this.  To think we came from a chaotic explosion that created life beginning in goo to being hairy apes to being what we are today boggles the mind.  It takes more faith to believe in that then to believing in a god.

That reminds me of Henry VIII, who recanted on his death bed and called for a priest to give him Last Rights.   :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 06:37:38 pm »
Every day !

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:24 pm »
I don't pray.  I hope.  Really, it's all the same - directed positive thinking.
No more beans!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 12:01:04 am »
I pray and hope every day !!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 08:33:55 am »
I don´t pray, never have, never will. I don´t believe there is an invidible man in the sky, so to me it´s pointless. I rather read a good fan fic anytime ;D