Author Topic: Did Ennis Flirt?  (Read 14360 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Did Ennis Flirt?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 03:34:35 pm »
I think even in the moments when we perceive Ennis to be "flirting"... or revealing his attraction to Jack, he is almost always doing this subconsciously or almost despite himself.  When he's around Jack... early on and through the film... he wears his heart on his sleeve a little bit more than he seems to in other situations.  But, only a little bit.

I agree about the 'despite himself'. And I like this description, like he really couldn't help himself to reveal that he was talking more to Jack than to anyone else.
It was a done deal, maybe as soon as Jack said 'nice to know you Ennis Del Mar'.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 04:11:50 pm »
It was a done deal, maybe as soon as Jack said 'nice to know you Ennis Del Mar'.  :)

Another favorite moment!  Yep, done deal.

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 05:37:04 pm »
Isn't that a beautiful pic and time ?

BOTH are flirting ??

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »
I was reading a Brokback Trivia site yesterday and came accross this......

Director Ang Lee gave Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal copies of the book, "Farm Boys: Lives of Gay Men from the Rural Midwest", by Will Fellows, a book that had been mentioned by both Annie Proulx and Diana Ossana as an excellent reference source, to help them understand their characters. Noting what he learned from his reading, Gyllenhaal said, "I dont't think that these two characters even know what gay is"

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 09:29:44 pm »
So what does that mean Katie ?

And to you ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 09:30:38 pm »
Merci for your very interesting find Katie !

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 01:37:01 am »
Quote from: Katie77
Director Ang Lee gave Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal copies of the book, "Farm Boys: Lives of Gay Men from the Rural Midwest", by Will Fellows, a book that had been mentioned by both Annie Proulx and Diana Ossana as an excellent reference source, to help them understand their characters. Noting what he learned from his reading, Gyllenhaal said, "I dont't think that these two characters even know what gay is"

I'd never read or heard that Katie.  Thanks for the info!!  That's all really interesting.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 09:03:08 am »
Doe sthat mean in to-day's term of what gays is and are ?

Offline lancecowboy

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 11:00:35 pm »

Katie77, Thank You so much for this. I found it and read parts of it in Google books, and it is amazing. Definitely worth owning.

And thank you everyone, for your insights into this question. I never thought about it before, now I understand the tent scene much better, and Jack.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 12:09:46 am »
Howdy, lancecowboy. Nice to see that you're lovin' this site. :)

Btw, you guys, I've heard of that trivia thing about that and it's really good. And I agree with Jake on that statement. Back in the sixties, there WASN'T a name for describing same-sex relationships. But, that was an interestingly great piece of trivia for us.