Author Topic: Anti-Gay Group Targets Walmart over Brokeback  (Read 6541 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Anti-Gay Group Targets Walmart over Brokeback
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 06:07:04 pm »
Hey there, Marge

I think it's a list worth posting and we can regularly check back and keep it up to date.  Plenty of users will be interested, I'm sure.  As a consumer, I'd much rather spend my $ to promote socially responsible businesses.

If you'd like, start a new thread for it - Anything Goes is probably the best place for it.  Or, you can email ([email protected]) or PM it to me and I'll be happy to do it.

Thanks!
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 06:44:45 pm »
Hey there, Marge

I think it's a list worth posting and we can regularly check back and keep it up to date.  Plenty of users will be interested, I'm sure.  As a consumer, I'd much rather spend my $ to promote socially responsible businesses.

If you'd like, start a new thread for it - Anything Goes is probably the best place for it.  Or, you can email ([email protected]) or PM it to me and I'll be happy to do it.

Thanks!
Lynne

I would love to see that list! I am only aware of a few "gay friendly" Indianapolis based companies such as Eli Lilly and Steak & Shake. But I'm not really sure just HOW gay friendly those companies really are. I think it may be more of a "Don't Ask Don't Tell" attitude which is better than nothing, I guess.  :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 11:09:00 am »

The boycott was called off the day before Thanksgiving.  For a summary of the reasons they gave and the reactions from both the AFA and gay rights groups, Click here.

There's also an interesting commentary at Americablog.com, titled "Let's document just how much the American Family Association utterly caved last night." They point out that Wal-Mart has not actually changed anything they are doing and that these "boycotts", which had little to no effect in the cases of Disney and Ford, are basically for publicity and fundraising purposes. Here's a link to the blog:  http://americablog.blogspot.com/2006/11/lets-document-just-how-much-american.html

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 11:39:34 am »

I just did post the list on Anything Goes, and hope people will add to it as it's far from a complete list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
Those of you who join the Human Rights Campaign might be aware of the corporate equality index list that they have.  It lists the Fortune 500 companies and each company is given a number from 0-100.  Companies with higher number are more gay-friendly than those with low numbers.  Click the link, then click the first option under "interactive tool" on the right side, then when a new screen comes up, scroll down to the "ratings" and click "go".  http://www.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Work_Life&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=28508
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:56:27 pm by JT »