Author Topic: What do you like on your fries?  (Read 17334 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What do you like on your fries?
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:38:25 pm »

This is a cross-over topic from another thread where the concept of garlic fries seemed surprising to some of us.  So... here's another fun food poll.  What would be your choice in the condiment aisle with your fries in mind?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: What do you like on your fries?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »
Never tried them with garlic, but it sounds good!   ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:49:45 pm »
Yeah, I'd like to try garlic fries -- sounds pretty good.

On my fries, I like:

ketchup and bar-b-que sauce for dipping
chili and cheese for topping
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »
My Dutch Grandpa taught me to dip my fries in mayonnaise. But when he made his own fries, they were more like deep fried potato wedges, not the long stringy things we see at Mc Donalds and Wendy's. . He called them "patats". I hope I spelled that correctly.

But generally I just put ketchup and salt... lots and lots and LOTS of salt on my fries. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:34:27 pm »
Mayonnaise, but it has to be garlic, and home made. I always make my own mayo, because it's easy and I can flavour it however I want. Failing that just plain salt.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:41:10 am »
I voted "other".

I like fries in too many combinations to just narrow it down to 3 choices.  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 04:17:54 pm »

Another interesting question related to dips and toppings for fries... is how you like them to be cut?  I like really thin fries with crispy exteriors (so I picked beer battered as one of the ways I like fries to be served).  I also like waffle cut fries.  The one kind of fry that I really can't stand are really think cut fries... I don't like it when the center of the fry is too mealy... which often seems to be the case with really thick fries.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 04:23:58 pm »
I wish political elections were this hard to decide a favorite!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 04:53:01 pm »
Salt, vinegar and HP sauce. Chips, or fries as you lot call em, aint the same without  a good dollop of HP, in a butty. yummmmmmyyyyyyyy.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 05:43:29 pm »
Salt, vinegar and HP sauce. Chips, or fries as you lot call em, aint the same without  a good dollop of HP, in a butty. yummmmmmyyyyyyyy.

Hey Souxi!

What is HP and a butty? Unfortunately my English boyfriend is in England right now, and he's not here to translate for me! ;) :laugh:

Offline optom3

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 07:54:12 pm »

HP sauce, oh. now I am homesick.What wouldn't I give for a proper bacon sandwich with Hp sauce. The bacon here is all streaky, no back bacon and it is hard work to try and get a good crusty uncut white loaf. Oops, have to go now I'm dribbling on my laptop

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 08:37:50 pm »
There's that word again! :laugh:

What is HP sauce? Is it like steak sauce? Or worchestershire (sp?) sauce? And I'm REALLY curious to hear what a "butty" is!

My boyfriend is English, and he likes to eat his french fries on bread! He makes a sandwich out of them. I've tried it and it's very good. :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:50:50 pm »
HP Sauce is a condiment; a popular brown sauce formerly produced in Aston, Birmingham, England, by HP Foods but now produced by H.J. Heinz in Elst, the Netherlands. It has a malt vinegar base blended with fruit and spices and is usually eaten as an adjunct to hot or cold savoury food, or used as an ingredient in soups or stews. It is the most well known brand of brown sauce in Canada and the United Kingdom as well as the best selling, with 71% of the UK market

It's a condiment!!! YaY! LOL.

A chip sandwich, french fry sandwich, or a chip butty as it is sometimes referred to in the United Kingdom and New Zealand, is a sandwich made with bread (usually white and buttered) and chips (french fries), often with some sort of sauce such as tomato sauce (i.e. ketchup) or brown sauce. [1] It was originally considered a working-class meal, served in pubs. It is more common in the north of England.

It's a french fry sandwich. You've had one, David. :) You've had a butty!

And you're a good buddy, too!!  ;D

(not drinking)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 09:11:25 pm »
It's a condiment!!! YaY! LOL.

A chip sandwich, french fry sandwich, or a chip butty as it is sometimes referred to in the United Kingdom and New Zealand, is a sandwich made with bread (usually white and buttered) and chips (french fries), often with some sort of sauce such as tomato sauce (i.e. ketchup) or brown sauce. [1] It was originally considered a working-class meal, served in pubs. It is more common in the north of England.

It's a french fry sandwich. You've had one, David.  You've had a butty!

Yup! That sounds just like it. I remember him buttering his bread too. Funny though, I've never heard him talk about HP sauce or buttys. Maybe he did and it simply went in one ear and out the other! lol

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 10:16:08 pm »

Offline optom3

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 10:43:03 pm »

Here you go... for all you HP lovers

O.K that's it. Now I have seen the bottle I am going to have to go and pay the extortionate price at Publix. Then I am going to have to bake my own loaf.I am no longer in denial,I am out the closet and simply have to have a chip butty.I am even going to make my own fat chips.The only question is whether I can wait until tomorrow.I am going to avoid these food polls now. !!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 03:24:03 am »
Yeah here in Oz we call them "chips" too...except when we go to Mcdondalds where they are called "fries".

Chip sandwiches on fresh white bread are delicious.

A kids favourite here is chips and gravy........you can buy that at a take-away.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 04:13:04 am »
There's that word again! :laugh:

What is HP sauce? Is it like steak sauce? Or worchestershire (sp?) sauce? And I'm REALLY curious to hear what a "butty" is!

My boyfriend is English, and he likes to eat his french fries on bread! He makes a sandwich out of them. I've tried it and it's very good. :)

There ya go David, now you know what a chip butty is.  :laugh:  Make sure you have PLENTY of butter on your bread though; this is so when you take a big delicious bite, all the butter drips down your chin.  :laugh:  HP sauce is the KINIG of sauces, yummmmmyyyyyyy.  God now I want one and it,s only 9.15 in the morning for Christs sake.  :laugh: :laugh:  Oh and next time your boyfriend comes over from England, make sure you ask him to bring you a bottle of HP.  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 04:22:30 am »
Yeah here in Oz we call them "chips" too...except when we go to Mcdondalds where they are called "fries".

Chip sandwiches on fresh white bread are delicious.

A kids favourite here is chips and gravy........you can buy that at a take-away.

Those damn Americans!! ;) :laugh:

I'm very curious about chips and gravy now!! :D

There ya go David, now you know what a chip butty is.  :laugh:  Make sure you have PLENTY of butter on your bread though; this is so when you take a big delicious bite, all the butter drips down your chin.  :laugh:  HP sauce is the KINIG of sauces, yummmmmyyyyyyy.  God now I want one and it,s only 9.15 in the morning for Christs sake.  :laugh: :laugh:  Oh and next time your boyfriend comes over from England, make sure you ask him to bring you a bottle of HP.  :laugh:

I'll ask him to bring a bottle Souxi!! I'll mention it to him tomorrow when I call him. :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 10:48:16 am »
Yeah, and I like the ones that are all crunch -- the ones down at the bottom -- too!  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 01:49:17 pm »
I chose salt, ketchup and other.  It's funny, I like ketchup on my fries, but not on anything else. The only time I eat ketchup is with fries. I would never put ketchup on a hot dog or hamburger, for instance.  I chose "other" because I like seasoned fries.  I've had some really good seasoned fries in restaurants, but I'm not sure what combination of seasonings they've used.  I'll have to try Old Bay -  and I think garlic fries sound great!

.. The one kind of fry that I really can't stand are really think cut fries... I don't like it when the center of the fry is too mealy... which often seems to be the case with really thick fries.

Add my agreement to this!  In fact, I don't think some of those really thick cuts like steak fries qualify as fries at all - they're just potatoes - a fry has to have a good crispy crunch to it!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline optom3

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 01:57:59 pm »

I was up at an ungodly hour this morning, made my bread and chips and that is what I had for breakfast,so did the kids. Now I need chips and curry sauce. I am so giving away my northern roots here.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:43 pm »
I chose salt, ketchup and other.  It's funny, I like ketchup on my fries, but not on anything else. The only time I eat ketchup is with fries. I would never put ketchup on a hot dog or hamburger, for instance.  I chose "other" because I like seasoned fries.  I've had some really good seasoned fries in restaurants, but I'm not sure what combination of seasonings they've used.  I'll have to try Old Bay -  and I think garlic fries sound great!

Add my agreement to this!  In fact, I don't think some of those really thick cuts like steak fries qualify as fries at all - they're just potatoes - a fry has to have a good crispy crunch to it!   :)

Marie

Aha! Of course it does!

Soggy fries?? Yuck!!

Of course you can only get them crunchy if you fry then twice. Yes, TWICE!

Here the recipe for REAL fries. From the One and Only Original Belgian Fries website  :laugh: http://www.belgianfries.com/

The secret recipe! (don't tell anyone about it)

What do we need? Some fine potatoes (Bintje is the best, but in the US Yucon Gold or Russett will do fine), a sharp knife, a deep fryer, frying oil (any oil that can take the heat will do but will determine the taste of the fries), some kitchen paper and a bowl or an ovenplate.

Start by peeling the potatoes. Cut them in slices 1 cm (3/8") thick and finally cut them into fries of 1 cm square .. Dry the fries well in paper or a towel before putting them into the oil.

Note: some people like to put them in cold water for a few minutes: this washes out much of the starch and tends to make them less sticky after the first frying and more crispy after the second.

Heat the oil in a hot frying pan or deep fryer to a temperature of 160°C (320°F). Put in a handfull of fries: not more at once because the oil will cool down too much. Fry for a few minutes (4-8 depending on the thickness and the kind of potatoes), stir regularly to prevent sticking. Put the fries into a large bowl with kitchenpaper (or even better on an ovenplate) and let them cool down and 'sweat' for at least 1/2 hour.

Finally heat to 190°C (375°F) and fry for 2 minutes until crispy and golden brown. This way the fries will be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, the way they should be!

Serve with a little salt (no vinegar pleeeeease) and some mayonaise.

Enjoy!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 02:30:33 pm »
That's so funny to me to see mayonnaise on top of fries! The fries look tasty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 02:59:37 pm »
man you can do just about anything to a potato and it will be delish!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Fabienne! I'll give it a try sometime soon! :D

I agree with you Jess. I love potatoes too. The skin is my favorite part of a baked potato. I like to bake the potato until the skin gets crunchy, and then once I'm finished with the inside part, I'll douce the skin with a LOT of salt!!! Yummy! :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 03:11:09 pm »
Here the recipe for REAL fries. From the One and Only Original Belgian Fries website  :laugh: http://www.belgianfries.com/

Oh, thanks for that, Fabienne!  My mother-in-law is Belgian and I know how seriously she takes her potatoes! LOL!  I don't do much deep frying, but I may have to try this one.  I've also never tried mayonnaise on my fries, but all this talk has made me curious.  I'm thinking if I mix some minced garlic in with mayonnaise it would be even better!  :D

man you can do just about anything to a potato and it will be delish!

This is true!

The skin is my favorite part of a baked potato. I like to bake the potato until the skin gets crunchy, ...

Yep, me too, David!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 03:18:45 pm »
Happy deep frying Marie and David.

Are you going to make the mayonaise yourself Marie? 'Cause I can get you a good recipe for that too of course.  ;)  ;D

injest

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Fabienne! I'll give it a try sometime soon! :D

I agree with you Jess. I love potatoes too. The skin is my favorite part of a baked potato. I like to bake the potato until the skin gets crunchy, and then once I'm finished with the inside part, I'll douce the skin with a LOT of salt!!! Yummy! :)

oh Have I got a recipe for YOU!

will send it via pm so I won't get censured for off topic conversation that disturbs people.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:58 pm »
disturbs people??

I don't know what kind of recipe you've got in mind Jess, but it sure sounds intriguing.

Do share.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 10:38:16 pm »
Fabienne, what kind of mayonnaise is on those fries in the picture? It looks darker than the mayonnaise we use here. Most of our mayonnaise here in the US is white.

The mayonnaise on those fries looks really good. It looks like it might have some seasonings in it. :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 06:26:45 am »
I know. The mayonaise I make myself is usually yellower than the one you buy in the shops. I guess it has to do with the egg yolks and the mustard.

Try to make it yourself. It's delicious. Best thing to have with fries (or frietjes as we call them)  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 07:10:49 am »
Duh! Me = Dutch so me like mayonnaise on my fries. Don't like fries though.  :-\

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 09:36:53 am »
I pick salt, ketchup and cheese.  I have had gravy fries and they are delicious, so it was hard to pick between cheese and gravy.   Cheese fries are served more often in the US than gravy fries.  I had the gravy fries served only once at a bar as a snack.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 09:57:07 am »
Malt vinegar

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

mvansand76

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 11:10:19 am »
I know. The mayonaise I make myself is usually yellower than the one you buy in the shops. I guess it has to do with the egg yolks and the mustard.

Try to make it yourself. It's delicious. Best thing to have with fries (or frietjes as we call them)  :)

Jaaaa! Fabienne weet het!  :-* Wij Belgen en Nederlanders weten pas echt hoe het moet he?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 03:33:11 pm »
Happy deep frying Marie and David.

Are you going to make the mayonaise yourself Marie? 'Cause I can get you a good recipe for that too of course.  ;)  ;D

Well, I was going to just open a jar of Hellmann's! LOL! I've never made it, but I've heard that homemade is really wonderful!  I'm guessing you use oil, egg yolks and maybe lemon juice? - but I'm not sure what else.  Sure I'd love your recipe!

I don't know what kind of recipe you've got in mind Jess, but it sure sounds intriguing.

Do share.  :)

Yes, please! 

Marie

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 03:49:09 pm »
salt viniger and mayo for me almost evry time......

But I do have tomato sauce when I have my absolutely favourite chippy supper...

Fried Pizza supper! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Blocks your arterys but one every few months is allowed!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 03:52:39 pm »
Well, I was going to just open a jar of Hellmann's! LOL! I've never made it, but I've heard that homemade is really wonderful!  I'm guessing you use oil, egg yolks and maybe lemon juice? - but I'm not sure what else.  Sure I'd love your recipe!

Yes, please! 

Marie

Okay, this is the recipe from the original 'farmers's wives cookbook'.

Handmade mayonaise

ingredients (make sure they're all at room temperature, the emulsifying will be easier):
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 fluid ounces of oil (plain vegetable oil)
- 1 table spoon vinegar or lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of mustard (diyon)

- mix the egg yolk, salt and pepper and the mustard. Add the lemon juice or vinegar and mix well.
- Add the oil slowly and keep mixing well using a whisk (which is called an 'egg beater' in the US - thank you Google!) and keep whisking in the same direction
- if the sauce becomes too thick, add some more vinegar or lemon juice and then more oil.

That's it!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 06:19:23 pm »
But I do have tomato sauce when I have my absolutely favourite chippy supper...

Fried Pizza supper! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

French fries and pizza!!??!!  Yikes - that actually does sound good! LOL!

Okay, this is the recipe from the original 'farmers's wives cookbook'.

Handmade mayonaise

Thanks, Fabiennne!  Sounds so quick and easy, with ingredients I always have at hand - I'll definitley give it a try!

ok by request:

Crash Potatoes

OMG - potato cookies - I've died and gone to heaven and I haven't eaten them yet.  I haven't started dinner yet, so I'm going to make them right now!  Thanks, Jess!

Marie

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 06:46:49 pm »
OK, you guys have got to stop.  I've started dreaming about french fries!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 01:39:42 am »
ok by request:

Crash Potatoes

Take some small round potatoes and boil them whole til they are fork tender

take them out and put them on a cookie sheet that has some olive oil on it. Take each one and use the bottom of a glass to 'smush' them about half way or more. Brush them with the olive oil, and top them however you want....I put bacon bits, cheese, butter, parsley, oregano, dill....just any herb or topping you like (or just salt and pepper) and bake in a hot oven (400 degrees) for about 20 minutes or until done

They come out like little potato cookies!! very crispy (my favorite!) and you can eat them with your fingers. Sometimes I make them as a side dish and sometimes I make an assortment and have them as the main course!

That sounds fantastic!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 10:45:26 pm »
Ok....while we are talking about potato recipes, I'm going to throw one in. From when I was a kid I loved these, Potato Pancakes....

Heat oil in a large frypan, about a quarter of an inch deep.....

Peel four or five potatoes.

Grate them into a bowl. use the side of the grator that makes them into very thin strips.

Add, one egg, and about half a cup of plain flour, just enough to bind it all together.

Spoon out mixture into hot oil, just a table spoon for each one,  when crispy and brown on one side, turn over and cook the other side.

When cooked you will have little crispy bits poking out around the outside.

Drain on kitchen paper.

DEEEEEEEEELICIOUS !!!!!!!
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection