Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain was not the first Wyoming story about homophobia  (Read 11398 times)

tiawahcowboy

Brokeback Mountain was not the first Wyoming story about homophobia in that state.

I read Native by William Haywood Henderson.

http://www.williamhaywoodhenderson.com/contentNovels.html

Native

Blue Parker is a twenty-three-year-old ranch foreman in a Wyoming mountain town, high in a valley between the Wind River Range and the Absarokas. He treasures the immense solitude on the mountains, yet he begins to yearn for the love of a kindred spirit. When he hires a new ranch hand, Sam, his longing seems about to be fulfilled. But then Gilbert, a Native American from the nearby reservation, passes through town and dances his way among the men, drawing Blue and Sam into his struggles to reclaim ancient customs that have been subverted or destroyed. With a sure sense of place and a keen sensitivity to the unspoken yet unbearable tensions that shape its characters, this superb debut novel offers a subtle portrait of three men caught between past and present, in a majestic landscape that transcends both loneliness and love.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0452271398&itm=2

ANNOTATION

Set in the contemporary West of ranchhands and drifters, this startlingly original novel tells the story of a man trapped between his own deepest desires and the demands of a strict society where love between men is the ultimate transsgression. "Finely wrought."--The Village Voice.

FROM THE PUBLISHER

Only once in a great while does an author create a story so startlingly distinctive that the readers perceptions are forever changed. In Native, through fluent narration and honest emotion, William Haywood Henderson brings vivid life to the contemporary West of ranchhands and drifters. In a Wyoming mountain valley between the Wind River Range and the Absarokas, pickup trucks crowd the curb outside the only bar in town, couples dance the two-step, and cowboys ride up through the badlands to check on the herd in its high-country grazing. In this isolated, tightly knit community, which is often barren and violent, comradeship among men is vital to survival, but love between men is the ultimate transgression. Blue Parker, a twenty-three-year-old ranch foreman, has spent most of his life in this town. He is a classic cowboy, careful and reserved, living deep within the myth of the Old West. He treasures the immense solitude of the mountains, yet he begins to yearn for the love of a kindred spirit. When he hires a new ranchhand, Sam, his longing seems about to be fulfilled. But then Gilbert, a Native American from the nearby reservation, passes through town and dances his way among the men. Gilbert fancies himself a modern-day berdache, a man neither male nor female, who traditionally would have held a place of honor in his tribe. An ambiguous and painful figure, he draws Blue and Sam into his struggles to reclaim ancient customs that have been subverted or destroyed. With a sure sense of place and a keen sensitivity to the unspoken yet unbearable tensions that shape its characters, this superb debut offers a subtle portrait of three men caught between past and present, in a majestic landscape that transcends both loneliness and love.

FROM THE CRITICS

Publishers Weekly

Although it draws impressively from the rugged power of its contemporary Wyoming setting, short story writer Henderson's first novel, a gay coming-out and coming-of-age tale, is a bit too studied to succeed completely. At the center of the book stands narrator Blue Parker, a promising 23-year-old ranch foreman who finds himself torn by the conflicting demands of professional duty, his attraction for a subordinate and his respect for a mysterious Native American. Gilbert is a berdache , a relic of an Indian tradition of cross-dressing men who possess magical powers; he functions in the novel primarily as a catalyst and symbol rather than as a fully drawn character. Gilbert's presence alerts Blue to his true feelings toward Sam, the third person in the triangle, and the Indian's return in the novel's final movement draws together all the plot threads in an uneasy climax. Henderson ambitiously blends present, flashback and fantasy in his narrative; he displays a sure feeling for the stark, often dangerous beauty of the American West, and astutely depicts the tensions in a masculine society that fears men who love each other. But as Blue's life unravels in the book's final third, the narrative drive gets lost in a welter of fantasies and memories. ( Mar. )

Library Journal

Set in the mountainous and remote Wind River country of Wyoming, this contemporary coming-of-age novel explores gay sexual mores in the conservative, small-town American West. Although women find him attractive, narrator and ranch foreman Blue Parker leads a lonely, sexually unfulfilled life. His need for the love of another man triggers Blue's attempt to enter the forbidden world of his true feelings. Two men are central to Blue's growing awareness: Sam, a boyishly handsome hired hand, and Gilbert, a Native American berdache (a man who takes on the dress and roles of a woman) possessed of magical powers. Barroom brawls, mental anguish, and confused childhood memories all play a crucial role in a narrative distinguished by excellent place descriptions and good character development. A fine first novel.-- James B. Hemesath, Adams State Coll. Lib., Alamosa, Col.

Native was published in 1994.

Annie Proulx did make a comment about one of Henderson's novels and you can find it on his web site link below.

http://www.williamhaywoodhenderson.com/contentNovels.html

Quote:
Novelist William Haywood Henderson has won acclaim for his remarkable depictions of land and nature and his ability to bring the American West to vivid life. Of his most recent novel, The Rest of the Earth,Annie Proulx remarked Quote:
“William Henderson writes some of the most evocative and transcendently beautiful prose in contemporary American literature. The Rest of the Earth is a work of art more like a series of paintings than the traditional novel. The high and remote Wyoming landscape—obdurate, dangerous, violently beautiful—is the great presence in it. Against slant rock and the long view we catch sight of a drift of characters whose lives brush against each other, blow away like smoke.”

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:15:18 pm by tiawahcowboy »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Brokeback Mountain was not the first Wyoming story about homophobia
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:09:59 pm »
I have Henderson's latest novel "Augusta Locke" about a woman who lives as a man in turn of the century Colorado. But I have only read a few chapters so far.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:22:37 pm »
Wow, F-R, when I first saw this thread pop up, I thought for a second TJ was back!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:11:46 pm »
Gee, it sounds like you're missing him!!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:11:03 am »
Well, duh! Who wouldn't!?  ::)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:49:11 am »
the title of this thead is sure an attention-getter, but to me leaves a huge gap in all that the film portrays. Suggesting the film is "..about homophobia" diminishes this great piece of art and film making to a pitiful crumb of its larger and impactful meanings and credibilities, in my opinion.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:16:08 pm »
Well certaqinly about more.

But  and it's a big but, that is THE message of this film and short story both, the destruction and desolation caused by rural homophobia. And that includes INTERNALISED homophobia, which both characters have...
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:58:38 pm »
hmmmm. sure glad I never saw it that way and never want to. such karma would spoil the greatness of the story and film in my opinion.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:20:32 pm »
That's hardly the only thing I saw, just the base of the story. I have to keep in mind all the things which have happened since I was  clobbered over the head first time I saw BBM, all of which have added to and coloured my interpretation of it.

However, one thing doesn't change, for any of us:
both AP and AL deliberately left more questions then answers, leaving interpretation up to the individual.

What I see is not what you, or Amy, or Rodney or Lee or anyone else will see.

Every person who watches Brokeback and 'gets' it will come away with a different view. It took me a long time to understand what the author has said from the day her story was published, namely that BBM WAS a tale of Destructive Rural Homophobia [DRH].

What I also see is a great love story, a doomed love if there ever was one between two men who never had a chance. The effect the author intended was a spare taleshowing an end result of total desolation. The fact that this desolation forms one of the most beautiful stories ever written is why we are obsessed with it.

You and I, Herr Kaiser, have never agreed on a damned thing but with one matter I have no doubt: as Brokies, we have the same heart. It's why we're here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:29:19 pm »
That was really beautiful and heartfelt. One thing I've learned from reading a lot of books is that they have several different levels of meanings. BBM definitely has a message on the sociological level of homophobia. AP has acknowledged that even tho sometimes she backpedals...

On another level, I used to think the overriding theme of BBM was love...but now I think it is about connecting.

The feeling of connecting with another human being. And how overpowering that is. And how much we need it. Even in the least populous state of the US.

Call it connecting...or call it...I don't know... joy? What the heck...bliss!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 11:31:44 pm »
Lee the story is so beautiful I still can't believe it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 11:37:44 pm »
Me either!!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 04:06:50 pm »
Has native been made into a movie?

moremojo

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 06:12:29 pm »
Wow! I can't believe I haven't come across this thread (or post, as it was until FRiend Lee's reply this month!) until now; it certainly feels like a welcome surprise and a blast from the past all at once. I'm replying so I can find it more easily in future...this novel and writer sound quite interesting (did anyone else notice Mr. Henderson was born in Syracuse, New York [Tim, are you reading this?]?), and the novel's publication does indeed predate that of 'Brokeback Mountain' by about four years.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 06:25:34 pm »
Did Wyoming refuse Native??

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 06:26:42 pm »
If they had any taste they did, it's a lousy book.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 06:31:12 pm »
I do n;t know that there has been an effort to make it into a movie, Artiste, and I cna't really speak to weather or not the state refused it, as I don't live there. I did read the book, someone recomented it to me on the Proulx website back when they had a forum. It was an interesting read, but it was no Brokeback.

Now as for Brokeback Mountain, Proulx has maintained it is a story about the effects of rural homophobia, but I think the movie made it much more, it carried us beyond that.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 06:41:20 pm »
 The state has more authors per capita, and more serious readers per capita then any other state. A book that sells 10000 copies in Wyoming would be a book that is considered a phenomenal bestseller.

You all forget, the population is about 420, 000 and it's the size of the UK with it's remaining dependencies. And what, aren't a third Native Americans?

They read up there. Hell they even think I'VE got possibilities  up there.

I got ahold of this a few days ago, it's not Brokeback. But then nothing is. That's why BB is BB.

moremojo

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 09:30:55 am »
Now as for Brokeback Mountain, Proulx has maintained it is a story about the effects of rural homophobia, but I think the movie made it much more, it carried us beyond that.
Absolutely, and this is one reason that the film has resonated so deeply and lastingly for so many of us.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 09:52:42 am »
Annie Proulx is so modest and self-effacing. I take everything she says with a grain of salt. Brokeback Mountain is so much more than that. To me it is on a par with Homer (and I don't mean Homer Simpson!!)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 11:36:10 am »
Homer Simpson!! There you made me laugh, Front-Ranger!!

You made my day!!

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 11:53:07 pm »
I'm comin to collect those hugs one day, Artiste!!

;)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 12:20:01 am »
Homer? possibly

Aeschylos?

Without a doubt

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 09:48:43 am »
Front-Ranger, hugs are for you and all too!!

The only time I do hugs are on the internet!!

Guess I was raised like Ennis??

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 04:33:17 pm »
Guess I was raised like Ennis?
Hey, even Ennis hugged Jack and Junior (and Cassie for that matter) when the opportunity allowed. So you might take a cue from that lonely ranch hand and practice a little hugging in the off-line world as well.

(Still getting used to hugging too)...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:15:43 pm by moremojo »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 11:21:33 pm »
Thanks   moremojo!Scot!!

As just read your comment, I had to laugh, smile... as it does make my evening!! Congratulations!!

I do not remember hugging anyone but my past lover/partner, if holding are hugs and/or vice versa were hugs, which I think they were indeed!! That was the only person I was really close with, as I am Ennis in many ways I guess.  My experiences have been worst that Ennis and I still fear not only society, but for my life!!

I think that I am afraid to hug!!?? I do not hug my mother, nor my sisters nor brothers!!

Maybe if I find my next lover/partner, then I will hug him, many times, as I seek that!!

So BM, is my story too!!

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »
I hope hugging is something new that you add into your life this year, Artiste. It is a very life-affirming things. Many Brokies are confirmed huggers and even Impish, who was quite a hermit, hugged me several times when I met him. I am suffering from hug deprivation these days because my FRiend EDelMar is out of town, and he not only hugs, but lifts you off your feet!! One time I was carrying a 30 pound computer bag when he hugged me, and he lifted me as if I were a feather!

My son taught me a new hug. He used to walk on my back in order to crack and relax my spine. But now that he is 15, he is too heavy to walk on my back. So, I now cross my arms and then he lifts me from behind and shakes me gently, and my back goes "crack! crack!" and I feel so much better! And then I do the same to him.

I could not live without hugs! But my father never hugged me, never come to watch me ride, and that was just the way it was when I was growing up. Thank God those times are gone.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 03:19:22 am »
I make a solemn promise to hug FR-Lee and lift her off of the floor when we next meet to discuss security.

how appropriate when you think on it  lolololol

I'm funny with hugs, sometimes I like them sometimes run away, depends on the situation.

When I was around 20  there was this awful old fart in  my 12 step meeting who gave me the willies, he always tried to hug me and  hugged too mightily and huggily, guy creeped me out, I KNEW he wanted more then a hug.I used to position myself as far across the room as possible yet somehow he always ended up hugging me until I told him to Hug Off <G>.

[ Can women tell if a guy wants more during a hug Lee? I'd suppose you CAN! has to be creepy sometimes.]

There was this other guy who was homeless, him I made a point of hugging  because nobody else would, even though I had a thing about germs. He was my friend & my age & had been on the street since his family tossed him out like garbage when he was 15 cause he said he was gay; today he's a network exec with CBS. I didn't care if he was smelly, he was my friend and did the best he could under awful circumstances. It was easy, youjust had to consider his pride--we'd go for coffee and I'd ask if he could help ME out. He once told me that the willingness to happily hug him when he was smelly and sleeping in a park even though he knew I was germophobe gave him solid proof that not everybody thought he was a worthless waste; it helped him to not drink.. All I knew was that he was a really nice guy and my friend and I didn't like how some of those snooty 'adults' treated a very nice person...all they saw was a supposedly lazy lowlife but he was working 2 awful jobs in a desperate attempt to get off the streets.

Then there were the stacked girls who made such a big deal of hugging, like " I am doing you SUCH a favor by allowing my breasts to be on your chest"--until I finally told one look don't do me any favors, hug somebody else. And walked. It blew half the room away but had an odd odd result-- ALL those stuck up bimbos went out of the way to hug me...it was as if rejection made them want me, and really, they tended to be dull as a cheese knife: if they didn't have breasts nobody would have talked with them.

There was the male gymrat version of the above, all big pecs and biceps lolol, One in particular used to cup my ass as we hugged and gave each other deadly insults. It looked friendly until you heard us whisper sweet curses  but i put up with it cause i liked his chest roflmnao and he put up with it because he was God's own ballbuster, so i guess we liked each other lolol. 

Then there was my ex BF who used to make me melt with a hug. God what a good hugger, he used to say he liked the affection. Of course, sometimes he would end up hugging me into a wall and i would be like, whatever dude, go for it.

Now there is my wife, who can't get enough hugs and really, that is sooo cool who would ever want to UNhug. It's adorable how much she likes to hug me. And I really like hugging HER, she's just  soooo sweet to be around...

And my son, he would be HURT if we didn't hug. As in hurt. So he gets all the hugs he wants and I don't know what it is but every time he hyugs me i feel like cryin. isn't that strange???

My brothers, the only one who likes to get hugged is, oddly, the NYPD. Especially after a few beers lol

But I don't think I would want to get a hug from any Ernie Borgnine Clones. By the way, when we re-enact scenes from Brokeback at Estes, please and pretty please make sure no Ernie Borgnine Clones are beating a shirt on the rocks while nekked in cowboy boots. ...please. LOL

roflmao
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:29:11 am by brokebackjack »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 09:08:44 am »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

You made me smile! And laugh! That comment of yours is like a hug, like hugs from you!!

You made my day!! At least, start it great!!

EDelMar is off searching for BM??

Hugs to you, to your son, and EDelMar!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:35 am »
Wow, wow, brokebackjack!!

You made me sad as well as happy with your hug stories!!

And still, I am laughing and smiling too!!

You should get this published somehow in books like Reader's Digest??
Even school books?? !! And gay books, since us gays are often very sad, if I may qualify?? !!

And may I ask that you elaborate this (as I do not understand):
My brothers, the only one who likes to get hugged is, oddly, the NYPD. Especially after a few beers lol

Hugs!! (I'm still smiling as you made my day, my weekend!! And, may I copy your stories to send to other persons??)

moremojo

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 09:33:02 am »
But I don't think I would want to get a hug from any Ernie Borgnine Clones. By the way, when we re-enact scenes from Brokeback at Estes, please and pretty please make sure no Ernie Borgnine Clones are beating a shirt on the rocks while nekked in cowboy boots. ...please. LOL

roflmao
Okay, jack, I'll try to remember not to be too Erniely effusive on my visit! ;)  (Incidentally, I'm looking particularly Borgnine-esque [or Capt. Rollo-esque?] today in my spiffy white tee-shirt).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 11:51:14 am »
I make a solemn promise to hug FR-Lee and lift her off of the floor when we next meet to discuss security.

roflmao

Wow, that really gave me a new perspective on the topic of hugging, Jack!! When we meet, if we ever do again (!!) just give me your own unique hug, the one with the kiss!! Anything else would be too much choreography!! I am warming up to the hug+kiss combination myself. My FRiend from Romania always gives me the customary hug and kiss on both cheeks when she visits. I'm getting used to that, but we still bump noses usually in the process! Those Europeans really know how to live...and how to greet someone!!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 12:53:55 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 01:40:17 pm »
Artiste, i have 3 brothers. The youngest is a policeman in NYC, he is the only one who likes to be hugged.

It's strange, I've been to parties which were filled with all these macho detectives and when i hugged my brother they all smiled. The ones who felt embaressed  when I'd hug my brother goodbye were the GAY policemen!

You would think it would be the other way around!

and friend lee, I am calling you...now

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 03:41:35 pm »
Thanks brokebackjack!

What a surprise you present and was presented with, you got a double surprise?? !!

You say this:
It's strange, I've been to parties which were filled with all these macho detectives and when i hugged my brother they all smiled. The ones who felt embaressed  when I'd hug my brother goodbye were the GAY policemen!

May I ask that when they all smiled when you hugged your brother, did they also hug your brother??
Maybe they wanted to do so, or some did want that too??

As far as the gay policemen were embaressed when you hugged your brother good-bye, I am surprised also!!
Maybe, they were surprised too?? I am guessing that not many gay men hug in public, being afraid of that and since we gay men know that not much hugging in public nor at home is done!! ??

Great it is that you hug your brother!! I admire you for that! Wish I could hug my gay brother!!

Hugs!