Author Topic: widescreen vs. full-screen  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
widescreen vs. full-screen
« on: May 28, 2006, 11:53:02 pm »
Hey there Brokies,

I'm starting this thread to ask for advice.  I already have the widescreen DVD and am now very tempted to buy the full-screen version also.  I've read a number of posts describing certain details that you can see in the full screen and not in the widescreen (especially details in the motel scene).  So, what I want to know is whether it really is a good idea to have both versions?  Are there enough differences to make it a really worthwhile investment? Or should I just save my money for the fabled and much-hoped-for special edition DVD should that ever materialize? 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: widescreen vs. full-screen
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 12:05:51 am »
Hey, Amanda -

I don't have the full screen version. But I've seen a really nice set of comparison screencaps, made by adamblast at Dave Cullen's forum. The comparisons start on this page: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=4716.930. There are 15 of them, several pages of the thread. The second set starts here: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=4716.1005
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 12:48:51 am »
I don't know, I like the widescreen version better still.  The screencaps from the widescreed version seem more intimate... and maybe it's just because I've seen the widescreen version so many time, but the full screen looks a bit goofy to me.  Also, remember, even though the full screen shows more from the top and bottom, it still cuts from the sides...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 01:47:16 am »
I have them both-very much worth getting. The wide screen is, of course, more
"correct" but the full screen mimics the theater experience more closely. If you've got the $$$ to invest I say go fer it.

O0

Heathen

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:42:44 am »
I don't know, I like the widescreen version better still.  The screencaps from the widescreed version seem more intimate... and maybe it's just because I've seen the widescreen version so many time, but the full screen looks a bit goofy to me.  Also, remember, even though the full screen shows more from the top and bottom, it still cuts from the sides...

Agreed!  I have the widescreen version and haven't seen the fullscreen but in my experience widescreen are usually better...more of the theater feel!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 11:53:35 am »
Hey there Brokies,

I'm starting this thread to ask for advice.  I already have the widescreen DVD and am now very tempted to buy the full-screen version also.  I've read a number of posts describing certain details that you can see in the full screen and not in the widescreen (especially details in the motel scene).  So, what I want to know is whether it really is a good idea to have both versions?  Are there enough differences to make it a really worthwhile investment? Or should I just save my money for the fabled and much-hoped-for special edition DVD should that ever materialize? 

??? What details are you talking about?

I saw a full-screen edition of BBM the other day on DVD and can't remember seeing anything particularly different at the motel scene. I'll appreciate if someone tell me or post a link to the thread where those details were discussed. Thanks! ;D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 12:11:06 pm »
Hi opinionista,

I could be very wrong about this idea that there are details in the full screen that we don't see in the widescreen (since I've not seen a full screen version).  But, here and there people have said that you can see more of Ennis's body and his wedding ring more clearly in the motel.  They say that it's easier to see exactly how he's stroking Jack's arm, etc.  I truly can't remember where this has come up, but I'm sure I've read it more than once.  I'm guessing that any such additional details would be quite small and subtle.  I think people have said that the first tent scene comes across very differently in the full screen too.  But, again, I'm not sure.  This is why I want to know if it would be worth having both versions.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:32:50 pm »
Hi opinionista,

I could be very wrong about this idea that there are details in the full screen that we don't see in the widescreen (since I've not seen a full screen version).  But, here and there people have said that you can see more of Ennis's body and his wedding ring more clearly in the motel.  They say that it's easier to see exactly how he's stroking Jack's arm, etc.  I truly can't remember where this has come up, but I'm sure I've read it more than once.  I'm guessing that any such additional details would be quite small and subtle.  I think people have said that the first tent scene comes across very differently in the full screen too.  But, again, I'm not sure.  This is why I want to know if it would be worth having both versions.

Thanks! Well, at the full-screen edition I noticed Jake's eyes looks even more beautiful. I hope that's counts for something! Also, you can see the hand holding quite clearly at the first tent scene, and some of the goofs. I noticed at the scene, right after the motel scene, when Ennis tells Alma that he's going fishing with Jack, he hands Alma Jr. to her. The girl's pajama top hikes up and you can see a cord. I guess it's the microphone's cord.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:35:17 pm »
Thanks! Well, at the full-screen edition I noticed Jake's eyes looks even more beautiful. I hope that's counts for something!

LOL, that's very cute.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 12:16:22 pm »
I have only watched my full-screen version ever since I got it.  Maybe if I had a bigger screen that would be different, but I just watch it on my 12 inch laptop.