Author Topic: Are You Superstitious?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Are You Superstitious?
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:37:37 pm »
Be honest! Are you superstitious?

I am. Somewhat. I don't really worry about it too much, but I'm not about to tempt fate either. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Are You Superstitious?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:56:27 pm »
But not about Friday the 13th.

13 is one of my lucky numbers.  I used to own a black cat, so seeing a black cat crossing my path or nearby makes me smile, not cringe in dread.  I do believe in hubris though and signs.

injest

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:35:36 pm »
Be honest! Are you superstitious?

I am. Somewhat. I don't really worry about it too much, but I'm not about to tempt fate either. :)

I am not superstitious and never will be! (Knock on wood!)

;D ;D ;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:11:47 pm »
LOL, Jess.

Del - could you elaborate on 'hubris and signs', please?  I voted a little bit superstitious, I think, for the same reasons as you.  Kitties, black or otherwise, are all good in my book.

Random aside:  I got to play with a co-worker's new puppy this afternoon - a little miniature dachsund, about 8 weeks old.  Made my whole week! :) :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:59:43 pm »
LOL, Jess.

Del - could you elaborate on 'hubris and signs', please?  I voted a little bit superstitious, I think, for the same reasons as you.  Kitties, black or otherwise, are all good in my book.

Well, you know what hubris is, right?  I definitely believe if someone gets too full of themselves, they're just asking to be knocked down - by the gods, by fate, by karma, by sheer statistics, whatever you think. 

As for signs, you know, dreams, deja vu, divination, cledons.  Sometimes they just slap you in the face and won't be ignored.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 08:45:07 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:44:22 am »

I voted "A little bit." I'm not really into all the Friday 13th and "knock on wood" stuff, but I do wear a talisman around my neck.  I've been wearing it for over 20 years and would feel quite naked without it. I wear it specifically to ward off evil, so I guess that does make me a little superstitious, eh?  ;)   ::)  It's in the shape of a stylised ankh. The main, vertical shaft is a double-terminating (a point at each end), clear rock crystal, set in silver, with green jade and red agate crystals forming the ankh's loop. I wear it on a silver chain.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 01:58:09 am »
I voted "A little bit." I'm not really into all the Friday 13th and "knock on wood" stuff, but I do wear a talisman around my neck.  I've been wearing it for over 20 years and would feel quite naked without it. I wear it specifically to ward off evil, so I guess that does make me a little superstitious, eh?  ;)   ::)  It's in the shape of a stylised ankh. The main, vertical shaft is a double-terminating (a point at each end), clear rock crystal, set in silver, with green jade and red agate crystals forming the ankh's loop. I wear it on a silver chain.  :D

I love the shape of the ankh. I think it's a very powerful symbol. It's been around for centuries. Milleniums even.

I must admit I "touch wood" quite often. Better safe than sorry I guess. There's something satisfying about it after I do it. Like I just insured myself from something awful happening later on down the road. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:05:32 am »
I,m not supersticious about friday the 13th as a whole. The only thing I won,t do is walk under a ladder or put new shoes on the table, or open an umbrella in the house. Black cats are lucky if they walk in front of you. Mind you I have a jet black cat and I havn,t won millions on the lottery yet lol.