Author Topic: Ack!! Help!! 2009  (Read 21706 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Ack!! Help!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 06:32:24 pm »
I have birds every year -- nesting in a little mud and stick nest in the corner of my carport ceiling. I think they are swallows or martins -- I don't know. They dive-bomb ferociously -- really fascinating to watch. And sometimes there are 5 or 6 at a time. I came home once -- one had not pulled out of the dive soon enough and crashed into the brick wall--broke his neck. He was a kamikaze. Probably chasing a dog or cat. They fly so fast. I laid him to rest under a crepe myrtle bush.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 06:58:07 pm »
I guess she knows enough to come in out of the heat if she gets too hot.

I have birds every year -- nesting in a little mud and stick nest in the corner of my carport ceiling. I think they are swallows or martins -- I don't know. They dive-bomb ferociously -- really fascinating to watch. And sometimes there are 5 or 6 at a time. I came home once -- one had not pulled out of the dive soon enough and crashed into the brick wall--broke his neck.  He was a kamikaze. Probably chasing a dog or cat. They fly so fast. I laid him to rest under a crepe myrtle bush.

Or, maybe not.   :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 07:07:06 pm »
I have birds every year -- nesting in a little mud and stick nest in the corner of my carport ceiling. I think they are swallows or martins -- I don't know. They dive-bomb ferociously -- really fascinating to watch. And sometimes there are 5 or 6 at a time. I came home once -- one had not pulled out of the dive soon enough and crashed into the brick wall--broke his neck. He was a kamikaze. Probably chasing a dog or cat. They fly so fast. I laid him to rest under a crepe myrtle bush.

I have those birds out in my back yard too. They dive bomb Cody every time he goes out there. He hardly pays any attention to them anymore. They'll dive bomb him 4 or 5 at a time sometimes, and he just ignores them. lol

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 09:44:36 pm »
The one place I didn't check.

I'll cruise by tomorrow.

The afternoon sun is extremely fierce on my plant in the afternoon - slanting sunlight gets under the overhand - bird is still sitting there.  I guess she knows enough to come in out of the heat if she gets too hot.

she is protecting her eggs from the swings in temperature. Her body absorbs the heat but the eggs remain at a steady temperature.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 01:03:19 am »
Is the globe something that would water the plant?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 07:15:08 pm »
Is the globe something that would water the plant?

Yes. Here is a pic and ad:

http://www.buyaquaglobes.com/?cid=498529
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:04 pm »
I saw some of those globes in Bed, Bath, and Beyond just yesterday.

And they were out of them.  So was every BB and Beyond in the greater metroplex area.  I had them check.

*sigh*

Sunshadow

How long did it take momma to hatch her chicks and get them gone?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 11:12:59 pm »
And they were out of them.  So was every BB and Beyond in the greater metroplex area.  I had them check.

*sigh*

Sunshadow

How long did it take momma to hatch her chicks and get them gone?

Do you think maybe you could stick a funnel down into the dirt? Would that work?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 12:23:16 am »
Do you think maybe you could stick a funnel down into the dirt? Would that work?

I"m too short to see into the hanging basket and I'm afraid if I grope around with a funnel or the water bottle I have in there now, I might blindly smash the eggs.  I've made a monumental effort to save my plant to no avail, so I"m just gonna let momma alone.

My cats do not enjoy being kept off the balcony though.  They were enjoying their afternoon sunning and are mad.  But momma needs to settle down after all the excitement.  I was worried for her as it was nearly 100 degrees today and she would be sitting in the sun all afternoon.  She was still there, bright and beady eye when I came home this evening after visiting my mom.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 02:44:18 am »
According to this page I found after a quick Google, it looks like 12 to 15 days from laying to hatching, depending on the type of dove.

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Articles/hatchingresults.htm