Author Topic: Ack!! Help!! 2009  (Read 21528 times)

injest

Re: Ack!! Help!!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:54 am »
the GOOD thing, Dev, is that once a dove has successfully laid and raised a little flock, they return and have babies there OVER and OVER...(sometimes three or four times a summer....)

;D ;D ;D

well SOME birds do.... ;D

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 01:13:35 pm »
the GOOD thing, Dev, is that once a dove has successfully laid and raised a little flock, they return and have babies there OVER and OVER...(sometimes three or four times a summer....)

;D ;D ;D

well SOME birds do.... ;D

They can damn well take it elsewhere.  Plenty of trees and buildings around.  >:(

Longest day of the year has passed and I checked the sun daily and it only fell on momma bird for about 2 hours before it started to cool off, so she'll be alright heat wise, which is what I was worried about.  She leaves around sunset - to eat/relieve/drink I suppose and comes right back.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 12:24:30 pm »
so that was about 2 weeks ago - what happened to the birdies?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 08:47:53 pm »
so that was about 2 weeks ago - what happened to the birdies?

Ack!  I watched the mother bird fly off about two hours ago and raced outside to sprinkle water around the sides of my plant (not directly on top, lest I wet the eggs and change their temperature or something) when suddenly something flapped at me!!!

I stopped watering, ran inside and got up on a chair so I could try to look into the nest from inside my apartment.  There was at least one big fledgling looking at me, rather irritated because it had gotten wet!!!

How do fledglings learn to fly?  There is nowhere to go on my balcony but straight down into the patio below me.

injest

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:46:58 pm »
Ack!  I watched the mother bird fly off about two hours ago and raced outside to sprinkle water around the sides of my plant (not directly on top, lest I wet the eggs and change their temperature or something) when suddenly something flapped at me!!!

I stopped watering, ran inside and got up on a chair so I could try to look into the nest from inside my apartment.  There was at least one big fledgling looking at me, rather irritated because it had gotten wet!!!

How do fledglings learn to fly?  There is nowhere to go on my balcony but straight down into the patio below me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

they will be fine....let nature do its thing...plus side?? when a bird successfully raises a little family in a nest they come back over and over!! (I have seen them have two or three broods a year!)

the fledglings will flap around in the nest and when they are ready they will take off on their own.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 07:39:56 pm »
I saw another fledgling a day ago.  It seems much smaller than the other one.

This morning, two bird heads were sticking up out of my hanging plant.   ;D

Right now, one fledgling is sitting in the shade and the mother is in the hot afternoon sun, shading the other.

Damn birds. ;)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 09:38:56 pm »
Do you think you'll be able to take a photo before they fly away? 

I hope so.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »
Do you think you'll be able to take a photo before they fly away? 

I hope so.

I'm hoping to borrow my sister's camera, as I don't have one of my own to do so.  We shall see.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 09:57:34 pm »
I'm hoping to borrow my sister's camera, as I don't have one of my own to do so.  We shall see.

Sounds like a plan.  :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 07:06:27 pm »
OK, my hanging plant has become Party Central.

Came home, peeked out my blinds and saw momma bird, two big fledging heads, then, as I was watching another dove flew in for a landing and the momma bird waddled to the edge of the plant, then flew off!!  It's like they traded places.  :o

I don't recall reading that male doves hung around to help out.

Could it be - the gods forbid - as Jess suggested?  Generation two already staking out the nest for the next brood?