Author Topic: Least Favorite Food  (Read 21491 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Least Favorite Food
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:40:07 am »
We've all talked about our favorite foods and drinks, but we've never discussed our least favorites. Everybody has at least one thing they just cannot stand to eat. You know, those foods that make you gag and say RAAAAALPH just from thinking about them.

So, what is your least favorite food?

Mine is tofu. Fish is a very close second, except for tuna fish. For some reason I can eat tuna without gagging as long as it comes out of a can... Chicken of the Sea. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: Least Favorite Food
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 12:45:19 am »
oh I KNOW you didnt' just Dis my home veggie OKRA!!  >:( >:( >:(

I can't stand shellfish....that is just NASTY...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:52:05 am »
Blue cheese ... yuck yuck yuck!

But I love Brussels sprouts.   ;D

Yeah, I agree with you Susie. Blue cheese is nasty. It stinks too! Ugh!

Jess, I didn't say anything negative about okra. I put it on the list because many people don't like it. I don't like it because it's slimy. Yuck. My mom used to fry it.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:57:11 am »
Blue cheese ... yuck yuck yuck!

But I love Brussels sprouts.   ;D

I love Brusels as well. Par boil them,while you are doing that fry some chopped bacon or Pancetta in a pan.Drain sprouts which should still have some bite to them,add to the pan with bacon and some diced chestnuts,yummy,the bacon and chestnuts go really well with the sprouts,even my kids will eat them like that.

For me the only food I cannot abide is the white of an egg,boiled fried poached,however.I love the yolk or scrambled ,omelettes.The white though literally makes me gag. the texture is just gross to me.

injest

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:58:23 am »
Yeah, I agree with you Susie. Blue cheese is nasty. It stinks too! Ugh!

Jess, I didn't say anything negative about okra. I put it on the list because many people don't like it. I don't like it because it's slimy. Yuck. My mom used to fry it.

I was trying to find a definition for Roland last year and the first one I saw said "Okra is a tastless tube of slimy goo"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

slimy goo is my favorite!  ;) ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:01:29 am »
I love Brusels as well. Par boil them,while you are doing that fry some chopped bacon or Pancetta in a pan.Drain sprouts which should still have some bite to them,add to the pan with bacon and some diced chestnuts,yummy,the bacon and chestnuts go really well with the sprouts,even my kids will eat them like that.

For me the only food I cannot abide is the white of an egg,boiled fried poached,however.I love the yolk or scrambled ,omelettes.The white though literally makes me gag. the texture is just gross to me.

Ewww. Just plain old egg whites? Yuck! That sounds awful. I don't blame you at all for not liking those, Fiona!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 01:03:10 am »
Fun idea for a poll!  :D

On this list I voted for okra.  The first time I ever had it, I think it was prepared wrong and I just remember it being very, very slimmy.

But, I agree with others here about blue cheese... I really don't even like the idea of blue cheese (let alone the way it smells or tastes).  I love all other forms of cheese though.  And one other item, that I think is commonly loved by a lot of people but which I really don't like at all is asparagus.

I'm not a very picky eater and consider myself pretty adventurous, but the foods that I don't like I feel pretty strongly about.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:05:15 am »
I was trying to find a definition for Roland last year and the first one I saw said "Okra is a tastless tube of slimy goo"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

slimy goo is my favorite!  ;) ;)

Bleegch!!  :P  :P

Yucky!

Mom would fry up some okra and I'd have to sit there and clean my plate. I'd sometimes try to hide it in my napkin and feed it to the dog, but he refused to eat it too! :laugh:

I don't like cottage cheese either. It's just a bucket of old sour milk. REALLY sour milk. lol

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:07:26 am »
I actually like everything on your list except for the tofu. And I'm not too fond of Brussels sprouts. They taste like STRONG cabbage. Anyway, I voted for tofu. There may be some recipes that I'd like, but I haven't had any of those yet.

Fried catfish -- you don't eat that? With hushpuppies and onion?

Fried okra -- YUM. I even like it slimy when it's cooked in black-eyed peas.  ;D

Fun thread, David.  ;)

Optom3, I've heard others say they dislike certain foods because of the texture. Some don't like yogurt; some water chestnuts -- things like that.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:08:42 am »

On this list I voted for okra.  The first time I ever had it, I think it was prepared wrong and I just remember it being very, very slimmy.

But, I agree with others here about blue cheese... I really don't even like the idea of blue cheese (let alone the way it smells or tastes).  I love all other forms of cheese though.  And one other item, that I think is commonly loved by a lot of people but which I really don't like at all is asparagus.

I'm not a very picky eater and consider myself pretty adventurous, but the foods that I don't like I feel pretty strongly about.

You don't like that limburger cheese do you Amanda? My dad eats that stuff sometimes. WHOOO!!! I can't even be in the house when he eats it. It's smells terrible... like dirty feet!  :P :P  :laugh: :laugh:

I think some people are just gluttons for punishment. Why else would they eat something like that? Phfft!

injest

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:10:12 am »
You don't like that limburger cheese do you Amanda? My dad eats that stuff sometimes. WHOOO!!! I can't even be in the house when he eats it. It's smells terrible... like dirty feet!  :P :P  :laugh: :laugh:

I think some people are just gluttons for punishment. Why else would they eat something like that? Phfft!

oh god...HEAD cheese....*gag*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 01:13:46 am »
I actually like everything on your list except for the tofu. And I'm not too fond of Brussels sprouts. They taste like STRONG cabbage. Anyway, I voted for tofu. There may be some recipes that I'd like, but I haven't had any of those yet.

Fried okra -- YUM. I even like it slimy when it's cooked in black-eyed peas.  ;D

Fun thread, David.  ;)

Optom3, I've heard others say they dislike certain foods because of the texture. Some don't like yogurt; some water chestnuts -- things like that.

No, I don't like catfish either Shasta. You wouldn't either if you saw what some of those catfish looked like around here! Last year on the news, somebody here in Indiana caught a catfish with HIS BARE HANDS and the fish weighed over a 100 lbs. Big ole' UGLY thing!

I don't like any kind of fish except tuna out of a can. Amanda had me half way talked into trying sushi sometime, but I haven't done it yet.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 01:15:23 am »

Fun thread, David.  ;)

But I LOVE black eye peas!! I eat them all the time... right out of the can.... cold. :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 01:16:32 am »
oh god...HEAD cheese....*gag*

Ewww. I should have put that one up there in the poll. Disgusting!

injest

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 01:23:07 am »
But I LOVE black eye peas!! I eat them all the time... right out of the can.... cold. :D

purple hull peas!! YUMMMMMMMMM

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 01:24:30 am »

I like aspargus tips, but not the stems. They are too chewy and nasty and make me say EEEUUUOPP!!  :P

Offline optom3

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 01:24:50 am »

Ewww. I should have put that one up there in the poll. Disgusting!

I love all cheese including blue, oops sorry.There is however one cheese called stinking bishop which even I can't eat.My husband does though,or used to in England. He could only have it in the summer when he could eat it outside.It is unbelievably stinky, and that's from someone who loves all blue cheese and runny brie and cammbert.
Not keen on oysters either,again it's a texture thing,don't care how much of an aphrodisiac they are.YUK, open wide and swallow !!!!! Hmm reminds me of something else.

injest

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 01:25:45 am »

*shudder*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 01:27:58 am »
I like everything on your list except broccoli. I've never been fond of broccoli.  :(

And I don't believe I've ever tasted okra.  ???

The food I particularly can't stand and absolutely refuse to eat is offal. Hearts, brains, livers, kidneys, tripe, etc. Baaaaaaaarf!!!   >:(   :P

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 01:28:23 am »

*shudder*

O.K  I give in, what is that a picture of.It looks gross in the exterme.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 01:29:18 am »
Disgusting!  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline optom3

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:35 am »
I like everything on your list except broccoli. I've never been fond of broccoli.  :(

The food I particularly can't stand and absolutely refuse to eat is offal. Hearts, brains, livers, kidneys, tripe, etc. Baaaaaaaarf!!!   >:(   :P

I love chicken and calves liver, and pigs kidneys. Tripe is too much even for me though.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 01:32:19 am »
I love all cheese including blue, oops sorry.There is however one cheese called stinking bishop which even I can't eat.My husband does though,or used to in England. He could only have it in the summer when he could eat it outside.It is unbelievably stinky, and that's from someone who loves all blue cheese and runny brie and cammbert.
Not keen on oysters either,again it's a texture thing,don't care how much of an aphrodisiac they are.YUK, open wide and swallow !!!!! Hmm reminds me of something else.

I remember Alex telling me about Stinking Bishop, and he's from England. But he never explained it!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

It must be PRETTY BAD!!!  :laugh:

Offline optom3

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 01:32:29 am »
Thought of another I can't bear, tongue double yuk. or jellied eels triple yuk.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 01:33:51 am »

*shudder*

Just look at that mess! How could anyone in their right mind stick a fork in it?!!

Disgusting to the nth degree.

Offline optom3

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 01:35:58 am »
I remember Alex telling me about Stinking Bishop, and he's from England. But he never explained it!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

It must be PRETTY BAD!!!  :laugh:

Quite unbelievable. It should ome with a clothes peg for your nose. My sons tenis sneakers which are pretty evil, so live in the garage, are french perfume compared to that cheese. Even though my husband eats it, his eyes run !!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 01:36:28 am »

Offal! Yes! They should spell it "AWFUL". And Fiona just mentioned tripe too? Fish guts, correct?

Why do people do it? :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 01:38:42 am »
Quite unbelievable. It should ome with a clothes peg for your nose. My sons tenis sneakers which are pretty evil, so live in the garage, are french perfume compared to that cheese. Even though my husband eats it, his eyes run !!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 02:04:37 am »
Offal! Yes! They should spell it "AWFUL". And Fiona just mentioned tripe too? Fish guts, correct?

Why do people do it? :laugh:

Tripe is stomach lining. I'm not sure what animal. Probably cattle or sheep. Whatever animal's stomach lining it is, it is absolutely disgusting. My Mum used to cook it with a white, parsley sauce. Before it got to that stage, however, it had to be boiled for hours. The smell was so disgusting, I used to refuse to go anywhere near the kitchen when she was cooking it. And I always refused to eat it. Double-Baaaaaaaaaaaarf!!!   >:(   :P 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 02:09:27 am »
Sheep, goat, pig, or cow stomach -- tripe. Nasty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 02:11:38 am »
Tripe is stomach lining. I'm not sure what animal. Probably cattle or sheep. Whatever animal's stomach lining it is, it is absolutely disgusting. My Mum used to cook it with a white, parsley sauce. Before it got to that stage, however, it had to be boiled for hours. The smell was so disgusting, I used to refuse to go anywhere near the kitchen when she was cooking it. And I always refused to eat it. Double-Baaaaaaaaaaaarf!!!   >:(   :P 

The smell was disgusting? Try cooking chitlins sometime Kerry!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Now that I read your definition of tripe (I always thought it was fish) I think I may have enjoyed tripe all along! Chitlins is pig innards, more specifically pig intestines. You have to clean them thoroughly first (I boil them, rinse them off and boil them again) and it stinks like HELL!! LOL

It smells like shit.... literally! :laugh:

Mom made chitlins, and so did my grandmother. They have been a part of my family for generations. :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 02:40:07 am »
I like everything on your original list well enough, though I don't eat any of them that often.  My guess is you need someone to cook you some delicious tofu, and you might like it.

I like most of the things people named here, except for all the gross body parts.  I don't even think of them as food.  :P

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 05:03:39 am »
I,ve never tried tofu or okra so I can,t comment on those. One thing I cannot STAND is blue cheese. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I don,t understand how people can eat it. I tried some once and I honestly thought I was going to throw up.  Some of the pics posted on this thread are gross!!! What are they?? blurgh.
I cannot stand chicken korma; it looks like something my cats would bring up with a hairball. I HATE parsnips and swede, YUK. The thought of jelied eels makes me want to puke too, and oysters?? ewwwwwwwwww. How can anyone eat those putrid slimey things?? GROSS.  I can,t stand runny scrambled egg, it has to be cooked properly.  I can,t bear bacon rind either. I have to cut it all off, blurgh.  Wow this is an interesting thread lol.

Offline optom3

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 10:34:50 am »
My husband brought home some pigs brains the other day,oh just soo gross,he ate them though.I had to go away  as I was gagging.Some of the things he has eaten on his foreign trips, OMG he has a very adventurous palate. Hehas had deep fried worms in Honk kong, camels testicles , in saudi, locusts somewhere, can't remember.The list goes on and on.
We both love black pudding which is basically sheeps blood mixed with meal and spices, placed into a skin, boiled for hours.Then sliced and fried.
Funnily enugh I was really missing it, and one of the staff wnet to Canada last year and brought some back for me.So it must be a Canadian thing as well as Scottish.

injest

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 10:39:13 am »

*shudder*

this is head cheese (and actually the best looking one I have ever seen) and you dont' 'put a fork in it'; you slice it thin and eat it raw...

*Double shudder*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »
I like everything on your original list well enough, though I don't eat any of them that often.  My guess is you need someone to cook you some delicious tofu, and you might like it.

I like most of the things people named here, except for all the gross body parts.  I don't even think of them as food.  :P

Of the items on the list tofu is actually my favorite.  I like it in salad.  And, I don't mind broccoli too much... I prefer broccolini or broccoli sprouts. 

I've never actually tried limburger cheese.  I would be willing to try it.  I think a strong-smelling cheese wouldn't bother me so much.  With blue cheese I just can't get over the idea that it's filled with mold.  It's almost more of a psychological aversion than anything else.  I can tolerate it in small doses, but it's never something I'd eat in big pieces.  In general I try to avoid it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 12:42:34 am »
Of the items on the list tofu is actually my favorite.  I like it in salad.  And, I don't mind broccoli too much... I prefer broccolini or broccoli sprouts. 

I've never actually tried limburger cheese.  I would be willing to try it.  I think a strong-smelling cheese wouldn't bother me so much.  With blue cheese I just can't get over the idea that it's filled with mold.  It's almost more of a psychological aversion than anything else.  I can tolerate it in small doses, but it's never something I'd eat in big pieces.  In general I try to avoid it.

I've never been a big fan of cheese. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I realize it's actually sour milk! I don't mind it too much if it's IN or ON something, but I definately don't like eating it plain. Yuck! I don't like the taste of it.

Amanda what are brocolinis and broccoli sprouts? I LOVE broccoli, so I'd probably like it. :)

Offline ZK

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 08:04:14 am »
In order of dislike Okra, B.Sprouts, Broccolli (always sounds like a disease to me) boiled cabbage (like Mum used to cook), swede and carrots mashed together (Mums cooking again!!), peas....see why I could never be a vegetarian  ;D

Being the carnivore that I am I like black pudding, liver, kidneys, sweet breads (never touch tripe nor brains though)

I have tried roast guinea pig, alligator, ostrich, snails, frogs legs, deep fried tiny crabs
On my next trip to Hong Kong I have promised myself I will try snake (preferably deep fried), and when I am in the Philippines next dried locusts   ;)

injest

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:58 am »
In order of dislike Okra, B.Sprouts, Broccolli (always sounds like a disease to me) boiled cabbage (like Mum used to cook), swede and carrots mashed together (Mums cooking again!!), peas....see why I could never be a vegetarian  ;D

Being the carnivore that I am I like black pudding, liver, kidneys, sweet breads (never touch tripe nor brains though)

I have tried roast guinea pig, alligator, ostrich, snails, frogs legs, deep fried tiny crabs
On my next trip to Hong Kong I have promised myself I will try snake (preferably deep fried), and when I am in the Philippines next dried locusts    ;)

:P :P

tell them I said you could have MY share...

;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 09:58:05 am »

On my next trip to Hong Kong I have promised myself I will try snake (preferably deep fried), and when I am in the Philippines next dried locusts   ;)

For those who don't know what black pudding is, it's congealed ox blood, mixed with flour and stuffed inside pig's intestines. It looks like a big, fat, black sausage. Mmmmmmmmmm! Yummmmmmy! NOT!!! Bletch!  :o   ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 05:06:19 pm »
I'm not a great fan of  jelly, it not too bad if it has fruit in it, like in a trifle, but on its own....not for me.  I think it was a result of being forced to eat it when I had my tonsils out when I about 7 years old.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 06:01:10 pm »
For those who don't know what black pudding is, it's congealed ox blood, mixed with flour and stuffed inside pig's intestines. It looks like a big, fat, black sausage. Mmmmmmmmmm! Yummmmmmy! NOT!!! Bletch!  :o   ;)   :laugh:

Is that anything like Haggis, Kerry? I've talked to some people about haggis, and everyone tells me they enjoyed it and it was quite good. They talk about haggis on the Travel Channel quite often, and I think it looks pretty good and I believe it also has blood in it, doesn't it?

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 06:27:19 pm »
Is that anything like Haggis, Kerry? I've talked to some people about haggis, and everyone tells me they enjoyed it and it was quite good. They talk about haggis on the Travel Channel quite often, and I think it looks pretty good and I believe it also has blood in it, doesn't it?

Hi David

I have the following ifo from wikipedis about haggis, I must admit I like it, it is quite rich in taste:

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »
Hi David

I have the following ifo from wikipedis about haggis, I must admit I like it, it is quite rich in taste:

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

OMG, I very nearly re-enjoyed my breakfast!  :P   :(   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 07:02:56 pm »

It sounds really gross but it isn't. A good haggis really is a treat.It is nt much different to how sausages are made in all truth,before they started to use artificial casings.You split open the skin and eat the center only.Most do not contain the more gross parts anymore either.I guess peple have a problem with offal, but one of Gordon Ramsays signature dishes at the Criterion is calves liver.Anothre fairly well known chef has ox tail as a signature dish,so all that sort of food is enjoying a revival,in some worldclass restaurants.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 07:05:42 pm »
I've never tasted okra, but I like everything else on the list.  I remember when I was growing up, I had a friend down the street whose mom had a rhubarb plant and we used to sprinkle sugar on it and eat it as a snack!  I haven't had rhubarb in years though.

Offhand, I can't think of a food I actively dislike, but there are a lot of things I haven't tasted - head cheese and tripe, for instance.  But the pictures alone are pretty gross.  They remind me of that show "Fear Factor" that used to be on where they always challenged the contestants to eat something absolutely disgusting - I could never watch that part!  Yuck!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

injest

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 09:06:24 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 10:33:55 pm »
Hi David

That may sound quite shocking to some of us, but when you stop to think of what they put in bologna and hot dogs, it's really not too bad. Everyone I've talked to who has tried haggis said they liked it. I'd give it a try too, but I don't think I've ever seen haggis for sale at a grocery store or on a restaurant menu here in Indianapolis.

Thanks for taking the time to look up this information Chris. I appreciate it! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 10:38:39 pm »
OMG, I very nearly re-enjoyed my breakfast!  :P   :(  

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:26 pm »
I've never tasted okra, but I like everything else on the list.  I remember when I was growing up, I had a friend down the street whose mom had a rhubarb plant and we used to sprinkle sugar on it and eat it as a snack!  I haven't had rhubarb in years though.

Offhand, I can't think of a food I actively dislike, but there are a lot of things I haven't tasted - head cheese and tripe, for instance.  But the pictures alone are pretty gross.  They remind me of that show "Fear Factor" that used to be on where they always challenged the contestants to eat something absolutely disgusting - I could never watch that part!  Yuck!

Marie

That show was a TRIP, wasn't it Marie? Yeah, they ate (and drank) all kinds of gross things on that show. Yuck!  :P :P

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2008, 01:53:25 pm »
That show was a TRIP, wasn't it Marie? Yeah, they ate (and drank) all kinds of gross things on that show. Yuck!  :P :P

It sure was - they were very big on all kinds of brains, eyeballs, intestines and testicles.  And the contestants had to eat them in a limited amount of time, too! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 10:01:08 pm »
Back in the 1960s, one of my brothers worked for a big linen manufacturer. Most of his market was in the Middle East. He used to laugh about his job involving selling sheets to the Arabs. We were a lot less sophisticated back then.  ;)   :laugh:  Before he worked for the linen people, he worked for a firm that manufactured hosiery. At social functions, he delighted in declaring that he travelled in ladies underwear. Just his sense of humour, I guess.  :-\  Seemed funny at the time to my then teenage self.  :)  But I digress. Back to John in the Middle East. (You know what's coming, don't you?) Once, on returning from one of his trips to the Middle East (I forget which country), he told us about a huge feast-like social function he had attended for visiting foreign business people. He was thoroughly enjoying a particularly delicious slice of meat that was sweet to the palette and was so tender, it melted in the mouth. He was intrigued by the quizzical, uniform oval shape of the thinly-sliced meat. Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls. Apparently he nearly barfed right there at the table. Just goes to show, it's all in the eye (and mind) of the beholder.  ;)   ;D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2008, 02:59:34 am »
Back in the 1960s, one of my brothers worked for a big linen manufacturer. Most of his market was in the Middle East. He used to laugh about his job involving selling sheets to the Arabs. We were a lot less sophisticated back then.  ;)   :laugh:  Before he worked for the linen people, he worked for a firm that manufactured hosiery. At social functions, he delighted in declaring that he travelled in ladies underwear. Just his sense of humour, I guess.  :-\  Seemed funny at the time to my then teenage self.  :)  But I digress. Back to John in the Middle East. (You know what's coming, don't you?) Once, on returning from one of his trips to the Middle East (I forget which country), he told us about a huge feast-like social function he had attended for visiting foreign business people. He was thoroughly enjoying a particularly delicious slice of meat that was sweet to the palette and was so tender, it melted in the mouth. He was intrigued by the quizzical, uniform oval shape of the thinly-sliced meat. Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls. Apparently he nearly barfed right there at the table. Just goes to show, it's all in the eye (and mind) of the beholder.  ;)   ;D

I agree...sometimes ignorance is bliss  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2008, 03:12:56 pm »
Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls.

:laugh:  Your poor brother!  And isn't it funny that he was enjoying it right up until the moment he knew what it was - our minds are powerful things!

Marie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2008, 03:28:26 pm »
Back in the 1960s, one of my brothers worked for a big linen manufacturer. Most of his market was in the Middle East. He used to laugh about his job involving selling sheets to the Arabs. We were a lot less sophisticated back then.  ;)   :laugh:  Before he worked for the linen people, he worked for a firm that manufactured hosiery. At social functions, he delighted in declaring that he travelled in ladies underwear. Just his sense of humour, I guess.  :-\  Seemed funny at the time to my then teenage self.  :)  But I digress. Back to John in the Middle East. (You know what's coming, don't you?) Once, on returning from one of his trips to the Middle East (I forget which country), he told us about a huge feast-like social function he had attended for visiting foreign business people. He was thoroughly enjoying a particularly delicious slice of meat that was sweet to the palette and was so tender, it melted in the mouth. He was intrigued by the quizzical, uniform oval shape of the thinly-sliced meat. Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls. Apparently he nearly barfed right there at the table. Just goes to show, it's all in the eye (and mind) of the beholder.  ;)   ;D

Eww yuck!! Kerry!!!  :P  :P

:laugh:  :laugh:

I think we call those things "Rocky Mountain Oysters" over here. Yeah, people eat all kinds of weird things. When I lived in Evansville Indiana, people ate brain sandwiches. They were deep fried pig brains. I tried it a couple of times. It just tasted like pork, well, spongy pork. It was kind of squishy, but with some mustard squirted on top, a slice of tomato and a piece of lettuce it didn't taste too bad! And apparently brain sandwiches are also popular in St. Louis, but they eat cow brains (beef) over there.

Like I said, people sometimes eat very weird things.  :-\

injest

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 07:39:28 am »
hmmm...we let the dogs eat the uh 'oysters' from the calves and horses....they know when we are fixing to 'do the deed' and get very excited...

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:45 pm »
I CANNOT stand onions.   Just the smell of them makes me want to throw up!  Whenever my mom would cook with them when I was little, I could smell them, and I would have to go outside to get away from the odor.   Yuk!  Just writing this turns my stomach!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 03:50:40 pm »
I CANNOT stand onions.   Just the smell of them makes me want to throw up!  Whenever my mom would cook with them when I was little, I could smell them, and I would have to go outside to get away from the odor.   Yuk!  Just writing this turns my stomach!

My Mom used to can cabbage each winter. She'd store all the canned cabbage downstairs in the basement on a shelf. One year we noticed a horrible smell coming from down there, and we discovered many of the jars had exploded. Apparently she didn't seal the lids properly and the cabbage rotted and exploded. If you've ever smelled rotten cabbage before you'll easily sympathize. It's a smell you will NEVER forget. These days, whenever I smell cabbage cooking it makes me want to ralph.

THEN, I found out rotten cabbage is popular in some Asian countries. They will bury cabbage inside of jars in their yards, let it rot, and then EAT IT!  :P I think they call it "kimchi" (I'm not sure if I'm spelling that correctly). Some people tell me it's quite good, but you'll never catch me eating it - not after that rotten cabbage episode in the basement.

Offline ZK

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2008, 03:47:54 am »
Has any one tried a fruit called Durian? According wikipedia its related to okra. It has a spiny outer shell:

"The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."

In the Philippines they say it smells like hell and tastes like heaven. I have never smelt anything as bad and I thought it tasted pretty hellish too. It honestly stank the whole room out if not the floor of the hotel

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2008, 05:54:57 am »
I,ll tell you something else I cannot STAND. Cardamoms, you know those horrible fragrant green pods they put in Indian food that,s supposed to help flavour it??   EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. They have got to be the most disgusting putrid revolting things ever. *blurgh* In fact they are so horrible I think it should be illegal to grow them. YUK YUK YUK.   *shudders*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 09:49:50 am »
Has any one tried a fruit called Durian? According wikipedia its related to okra. It has a spiny outer shell:

"The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."

In the Philippines they say it smells like hell and tastes like heaven. I have never smelt anything as bad and I thought it tasted pretty hellish too. It honestly stank the whole room out if not the floor of the hotel

What's the smell like, Matt? Probably the most horrible food-related smell I've ever smelt was tripe cooking. Followed closely in second place by the smell in a back alley behind a restaurant that served prawns the night before. Durian must smell pretty bad, if it smells worse than a day-old prawn! Come to think of it, I can't stand prawns fresh, let alone day-old! Cockroaches of the sea! Yetch!  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ZK

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:23 pm »
What's the smell like, Matt? Probably the most horrible food-related smell I've ever smelt was tripe cooking. Followed closely in second place by the smell in a back alley behind a restaurant that served prawns the night before. Durian must smell pretty bad, if it smells worse than a day-old prawn! Come to think of it, I can't stand prawns fresh, let alone day-old! Cockroaches of the sea! Yetch!  :P

The smell of Durian is indescribable, it absolutely reeks YUK! Hey I am with you about tripe though. My 10 year old daughter loves it, and even orders it at chinese restaurants!!

I can't stand prawns fresh, let alone day-old! Cockroaches of the sea! Yetch!  :P

Cockroaches of the sea??? Are you trying to put me off prawns or what. My favourite restaurant in Hong Kong is at the Temple Street Night Market in Kowloon, its has tables of fresh seafood, its cheap as chips (cheeps as us kiwis would say), real basic but they serve the best garlic prawns. I sit at table with mismatching chairs and watch all the bargain hunters go buy. Its priceless

So if we ever meet in Sydney I take it we won't be going to Doyles by the Harbour Bridge??

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 12:17:31 am »
The smell of Durian is indescribable, it absolutely reeks YUK! Hey I am with you about tripe though. My 10 year old daughter loves it, and even orders it at chinese restaurants!!

Cockroaches of the sea??? Are you trying to put me off prawns or what. My favourite restaurant in Hong Kong is at the Temple Street Night Market in Kowloon, its has tables of fresh seafood, its cheap as chips (cheeps as us kiwis would say), real basic but they serve the best garlic prawns. I sit at table with mismatching chairs and watch all the bargain hunters go buy. Its priceless

So if we ever meet in Sydney I take it we won't be going to Doyles by the Harbour Bridge??

I have an alergy to prawns, Matt. If I eat them, I go into anaphylactic shock!  :o It's not a good look!  ::)

But even if I wasn't alergic to them, I still don't think I'd eat them. They look like insects and they stink! Yetch!  :P   :(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 02:30:28 am »

When I was in Singapore, I saw signs on the walls in the subways of durians with that red circle with a slash through it, meaning "No durians allowed on the subway."  Actually, take 30 seconds to search in Google images for "no durians" and you'll see many examples of what I mean.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 04:28:33 pm »
Ewwwww!  Yuck!  Probably almost as bad as onion smell!!