Author Topic: Least Favorite Food  (Read 21490 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Least Favorite Food
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 05:06:19 pm »
I'm not a great fan of  jelly, it not too bad if it has fruit in it, like in a trifle, but on its own....not for me.  I think it was a result of being forced to eat it when I had my tonsils out when I about 7 years old.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 06:01:10 pm »
For those who don't know what black pudding is, it's congealed ox blood, mixed with flour and stuffed inside pig's intestines. It looks like a big, fat, black sausage. Mmmmmmmmmm! Yummmmmmy! NOT!!! Bletch!  :o   ;)   :laugh:

Is that anything like Haggis, Kerry? I've talked to some people about haggis, and everyone tells me they enjoyed it and it was quite good. They talk about haggis on the Travel Channel quite often, and I think it looks pretty good and I believe it also has blood in it, doesn't it?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 06:27:19 pm »
Is that anything like Haggis, Kerry? I've talked to some people about haggis, and everyone tells me they enjoyed it and it was quite good. They talk about haggis on the Travel Channel quite often, and I think it looks pretty good and I believe it also has blood in it, doesn't it?

Hi David

I have the following ifo from wikipedis about haggis, I must admit I like it, it is quite rich in taste:

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »
Hi David

I have the following ifo from wikipedis about haggis, I must admit I like it, it is quite rich in taste:

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

OMG, I very nearly re-enjoyed my breakfast!  :P   :(   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 07:02:56 pm »

It sounds really gross but it isn't. A good haggis really is a treat.It is nt much different to how sausages are made in all truth,before they started to use artificial casings.You split open the skin and eat the center only.Most do not contain the more gross parts anymore either.I guess peple have a problem with offal, but one of Gordon Ramsays signature dishes at the Criterion is calves liver.Anothre fairly well known chef has ox tail as a signature dish,so all that sort of food is enjoying a revival,in some worldclass restaurants.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 07:05:42 pm »
I've never tasted okra, but I like everything else on the list.  I remember when I was growing up, I had a friend down the street whose mom had a rhubarb plant and we used to sprinkle sugar on it and eat it as a snack!  I haven't had rhubarb in years though.

Offhand, I can't think of a food I actively dislike, but there are a lot of things I haven't tasted - head cheese and tripe, for instance.  But the pictures alone are pretty gross.  They remind me of that show "Fear Factor" that used to be on where they always challenged the contestants to eat something absolutely disgusting - I could never watch that part!  Yuck!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

injest

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 09:06:24 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 10:33:55 pm »
Hi David

That may sound quite shocking to some of us, but when you stop to think of what they put in bologna and hot dogs, it's really not too bad. Everyone I've talked to who has tried haggis said they liked it. I'd give it a try too, but I don't think I've ever seen haggis for sale at a grocery store or on a restaurant menu here in Indianapolis.

Thanks for taking the time to look up this information Chris. I appreciate it! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 10:38:39 pm »
OMG, I very nearly re-enjoyed my breakfast!  :P   :(  

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:26 pm »
I've never tasted okra, but I like everything else on the list.  I remember when I was growing up, I had a friend down the street whose mom had a rhubarb plant and we used to sprinkle sugar on it and eat it as a snack!  I haven't had rhubarb in years though.

Offhand, I can't think of a food I actively dislike, but there are a lot of things I haven't tasted - head cheese and tripe, for instance.  But the pictures alone are pretty gross.  They remind me of that show "Fear Factor" that used to be on where they always challenged the contestants to eat something absolutely disgusting - I could never watch that part!  Yuck!

Marie

That show was a TRIP, wasn't it Marie? Yeah, they ate (and drank) all kinds of gross things on that show. Yuck!  :P :P