Author Topic: Least Favorite Food  (Read 21488 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Least Favorite Food
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2008, 01:53:25 pm »
That show was a TRIP, wasn't it Marie? Yeah, they ate (and drank) all kinds of gross things on that show. Yuck!  :P :P

It sure was - they were very big on all kinds of brains, eyeballs, intestines and testicles.  And the contestants had to eat them in a limited amount of time, too! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 10:01:08 pm »
Back in the 1960s, one of my brothers worked for a big linen manufacturer. Most of his market was in the Middle East. He used to laugh about his job involving selling sheets to the Arabs. We were a lot less sophisticated back then.  ;)   :laugh:  Before he worked for the linen people, he worked for a firm that manufactured hosiery. At social functions, he delighted in declaring that he travelled in ladies underwear. Just his sense of humour, I guess.  :-\  Seemed funny at the time to my then teenage self.  :)  But I digress. Back to John in the Middle East. (You know what's coming, don't you?) Once, on returning from one of his trips to the Middle East (I forget which country), he told us about a huge feast-like social function he had attended for visiting foreign business people. He was thoroughly enjoying a particularly delicious slice of meat that was sweet to the palette and was so tender, it melted in the mouth. He was intrigued by the quizzical, uniform oval shape of the thinly-sliced meat. Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls. Apparently he nearly barfed right there at the table. Just goes to show, it's all in the eye (and mind) of the beholder.  ;)   ;D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2008, 02:59:34 am »
Back in the 1960s, one of my brothers worked for a big linen manufacturer. Most of his market was in the Middle East. He used to laugh about his job involving selling sheets to the Arabs. We were a lot less sophisticated back then.  ;)   :laugh:  Before he worked for the linen people, he worked for a firm that manufactured hosiery. At social functions, he delighted in declaring that he travelled in ladies underwear. Just his sense of humour, I guess.  :-\  Seemed funny at the time to my then teenage self.  :)  But I digress. Back to John in the Middle East. (You know what's coming, don't you?) Once, on returning from one of his trips to the Middle East (I forget which country), he told us about a huge feast-like social function he had attended for visiting foreign business people. He was thoroughly enjoying a particularly delicious slice of meat that was sweet to the palette and was so tender, it melted in the mouth. He was intrigued by the quizzical, uniform oval shape of the thinly-sliced meat. Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls. Apparently he nearly barfed right there at the table. Just goes to show, it's all in the eye (and mind) of the beholder.  ;)   ;D

I agree...sometimes ignorance is bliss  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2008, 03:12:56 pm »
Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls.

:laugh:  Your poor brother!  And isn't it funny that he was enjoying it right up until the moment he knew what it was - our minds are powerful things!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2008, 03:28:26 pm »
Back in the 1960s, one of my brothers worked for a big linen manufacturer. Most of his market was in the Middle East. He used to laugh about his job involving selling sheets to the Arabs. We were a lot less sophisticated back then.  ;)   :laugh:  Before he worked for the linen people, he worked for a firm that manufactured hosiery. At social functions, he delighted in declaring that he travelled in ladies underwear. Just his sense of humour, I guess.  :-\  Seemed funny at the time to my then teenage self.  :)  But I digress. Back to John in the Middle East. (You know what's coming, don't you?) Once, on returning from one of his trips to the Middle East (I forget which country), he told us about a huge feast-like social function he had attended for visiting foreign business people. He was thoroughly enjoying a particularly delicious slice of meat that was sweet to the palette and was so tender, it melted in the mouth. He was intrigued by the quizzical, uniform oval shape of the thinly-sliced meat. Perhaps foolishly, in retrospect, he asked his neighbour at the feat what the meat was. Needless to say, he was advised that the delicious serving he had been enjoying so much up until that moment was bull's balls. Apparently he nearly barfed right there at the table. Just goes to show, it's all in the eye (and mind) of the beholder.  ;)   ;D

Eww yuck!! Kerry!!!  :P  :P

:laugh:  :laugh:

I think we call those things "Rocky Mountain Oysters" over here. Yeah, people eat all kinds of weird things. When I lived in Evansville Indiana, people ate brain sandwiches. They were deep fried pig brains. I tried it a couple of times. It just tasted like pork, well, spongy pork. It was kind of squishy, but with some mustard squirted on top, a slice of tomato and a piece of lettuce it didn't taste too bad! And apparently brain sandwiches are also popular in St. Louis, but they eat cow brains (beef) over there.

Like I said, people sometimes eat very weird things.  :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 07:39:28 am »
hmmm...we let the dogs eat the uh 'oysters' from the calves and horses....they know when we are fixing to 'do the deed' and get very excited...

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:45 pm »
I CANNOT stand onions.   Just the smell of them makes me want to throw up!  Whenever my mom would cook with them when I was little, I could smell them, and I would have to go outside to get away from the odor.   Yuk!  Just writing this turns my stomach!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 03:50:40 pm »
I CANNOT stand onions.   Just the smell of them makes me want to throw up!  Whenever my mom would cook with them when I was little, I could smell them, and I would have to go outside to get away from the odor.   Yuk!  Just writing this turns my stomach!

My Mom used to can cabbage each winter. She'd store all the canned cabbage downstairs in the basement on a shelf. One year we noticed a horrible smell coming from down there, and we discovered many of the jars had exploded. Apparently she didn't seal the lids properly and the cabbage rotted and exploded. If you've ever smelled rotten cabbage before you'll easily sympathize. It's a smell you will NEVER forget. These days, whenever I smell cabbage cooking it makes me want to ralph.

THEN, I found out rotten cabbage is popular in some Asian countries. They will bury cabbage inside of jars in their yards, let it rot, and then EAT IT!  :P I think they call it "kimchi" (I'm not sure if I'm spelling that correctly). Some people tell me it's quite good, but you'll never catch me eating it - not after that rotten cabbage episode in the basement.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZK

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2008, 03:47:54 am »
Has any one tried a fruit called Durian? According wikipedia its related to okra. It has a spiny outer shell:

"The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."

In the Philippines they say it smells like hell and tastes like heaven. I have never smelt anything as bad and I thought it tasted pretty hellish too. It honestly stank the whole room out if not the floor of the hotel

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2008, 05:54:57 am »
I,ll tell you something else I cannot STAND. Cardamoms, you know those horrible fragrant green pods they put in Indian food that,s supposed to help flavour it??   EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. They have got to be the most disgusting putrid revolting things ever. *blurgh* In fact they are so horrible I think it should be illegal to grow them. YUK YUK YUK.   *shudders*