Author Topic: Living in Wyoming  (Read 37085 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Living in Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 01:30:40 pm »
I miss mountains terribly so I would be happy to live in Wyoming, the problem is it would have to be a summer house.I cannot bear being cold, my arthritis flares up horribly in the cold,it is one reason we came to Florida. So can I have 2 houses please.Winter in Florida , summer in Wyoming.Now that would be my idea of a little piece of heaven !!!!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 05:14:43 pm »
I think Wyoming is a very unique and beautiful place as well as very worth seeing. I am glad I have seen it the times I have. As far as living there I cannot see where it would be the place for me. I think some of this has to do with the fact that I am from a rural place, at least it used to be before everyone decided to move here. I was born and raised in the Appalachian/Blue Ridge/Great Smoky Mountains so lots of scenery being around is something I am just used to. Although the scenery is beautiful in Wyoming I think the area I live in is actually more scenic. We have lots more trees and lots more varieties of trees. We have lots of wildlife, streams, waterfalls, places to hike and camp and those types of things. Our mountains are not as tall but they have a lot more growing on them. We have four very distinct seasons as well. So while I do like Wyoming it would just not be the place I would pick up and move to.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 10:27:31 pm »
Tell you what, when I think about living in Wyoming, I think about the famous line from Thoreau's Walden, "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately."

For "woods," substitute "Wyoming."

Sure, sure, I've only visited the state twice. Am I letting my imagination run away with me? More'n likely. But, so what? A man can dream, can't he?

I'm in love with those mountains, the Big Horns and the Absarokas. It'd be a sweet life, me an' my partner, if we had us a little place in or at the foot of either range, though the Big Horns would do just fine. It wouldn't need to be a big place. I always wanted a cabin like Fess Parker lived in on Daniel Boone.  ;D That would be plenty big enough. A place to live deliberately. Just the basics, him and me.

We'd have us a couple of horses, named for the regional tribes, like Cheyenne, or Shoshone, or Arapaho, maybe a bay and buckskin, or a chestnut would be nice. Maybe even an "applesauce." We'd ride every day the weather wasn't too bad for the horses, because, like the sign over the fireplace at Goff Creek Lodge said, "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse."

And we'd have us a pickup and an SUV, or maybe a pair of pickups, one with a king cab.  ;)

Yes, sir, when I feel my life is overburdened with responsibility and swamped with things, it sure is nice to think about making a fresh start and getting back to the basics, to living simply, just me and my partner.

So what's the problem?

Well, for starters, there is no partner.  :-\  Probably won't be, either. And, at my time of life, I can't imagine taking off like that on my own. I fear isolation. That's what keeps me in the heart of downtown Philadelphia instead of moving out of the city. My church is around the corner. My gym is three blocks away. After twenty years in a community I have only to stop into any of our bars and I always run into someone I know to exchange a few words, have some human contact. I have a network here.

I also have a widowed, elderly father only an hour and a half travel west of here--and no siblings. Just after my mother died, when he was feeling sorry for himself, he blurted out that he and my mother should have given me a brother or sister somehow, so it wouldn't now all fall on me. Well, Pop, you should have thought of that 40 years ago.  :-\  Now, what kind of a man would I be to abandon him to pursue my own dreams out West?  :-\

There is also the question of earning a living. A man's first responsibility is to support himself. I have a limited set of marketable skills, and a good job here. Just what the heck would I do for a living in Ten Sleep, Wyoming?  ??? Open a bar, maybe? Maybe call it the Silver Spur? I have some limited amateur experience as a bar tender, and I imagine folks drink pretty simple out there--no fancy-ass cocktails with pink paper umbrellas in the Ten Sleep Saloon, I expect.  ;D  Although the bartender at the Mint, in Sheridan, did know how to make a Liquid Marijuana. ...  ???  ;D

But, I don't know the first thing about running a business. ...  :(

But if the right Cowboy wanted me to move to Wyoming to be with him, would I do it?

What do you think?

Hell, yes, I'd do it! I'd trust in God and redline it all the way, wouldn't be able to get there fast enough. ...

A man can dream, can't he?  :)  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 01:57:48 am »
Jeff, I must say that you created a scene with this post that is wonderful. I do understand what you are saying. I think in the situation you describe anywhere would be good. Let me say one thing buddy, don't you ever, ever give up on these dreams. You never really know whether or not these dreams could become a reality. When you give up on your dreams then that is when you quit living. Life is tough, and love is tougher. Many times in life you can come across what you think may be love, may be the right person, but I truly believe that when love strikes you it will be the least likely person you thought it would be. Someone could appear there with you that you would never have thought in a million years that would be that person you have always dreamed of. They may not look the same as you thought they would, but deep inside them you may find what you have always looked for. They may share your dreams, they may someone who you know you want to share every adventure and every thought with. They may make you feel comfortable and safe. They may show in so many ways that they care about you. I don't know much about love cause I always went about it in the wrong way. It always seemed to be all about those outside looks and when you find someone who becomes more attractive to you on the inside then you may have found what you were looking for. But still you have a long road ahead of you cause that doesn't make it any easier that you found them inside cause they have to find you too. They may already be taken so you have that hard journey of looking on. It's a damn hard road to find that place you meet with someone inside and that truly is where you will find it. The problem is that many people do not recognize it and they just continue looking for all of that on the outside and I truly do not think that it is on the outside. I do know that there is a different kind of feeling that can happen with another person that I don't think can be described in words or at least I cannot describe it. But even finding that feeling doesn't necessarily mean anything if the other person does not feel it too. Sometimes it seems so complicated that you just give up on it and then I guess you just contine on with your dreams and your life.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 02:11:04 am »
To add something else which I think I have already said, when I think about living in the woods it doesn't mean the same to me as you since I already live in the woods  :) and pretty much always have. It is kind of funny since I could have very easily ended up growing up in Philadelphia just where you are at. My mother didn't like it there so they moved back to North Carolina before I was born. I guess that was one of those paths that they took that made me grow up in a country, rural environment instead of if they took the other road and I would have grown up in the city. For that reason I guess cities are fascinating to me cause I never got the chance to live in one. I love skyscrapers and the like much like you love the mountains. Although I do love mountains since I live hiking, backpacking, camping and all that.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 09:20:25 am »

visit - hell yeah!
live there - no

I loved the landscape and would love to back to visit, but the cultural/social/political climate seems to be somewhat...narrow-minded. I couldn´t cope with that.
I also like Sweden very much, I love the shade of dark green that the woods have here. I´m iving in a little town on the shores of lake Vättern with a large archepolago nearby and I think I´d like to stay here forever. However if I were rich I´d buy houses all over the world that I could go visiting, and why not a little cottage in the area around Signal Mountain? Would be sweet indeed...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 10:21:44 am »
Jeff, I must say that you created a scene with this post that is wonderful.

Jack, thanks so much for your thoughts and kind words.  :)  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 01:12:39 am »
Some people have the right idea around here. :D

I'd love to have a summer home near a lake in Northern Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire - like in the movie "On Golden Pond".

Then I'd like to have a winter home in South Florida or Hawaii.

I'd like to stay in Indiana during the spring and autumn though. Those seasons are very beautiful here.

So what is that? Three different homes? haha. Yeah, DREAM ON DAVID!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 11:18:15 am »
Some people have the right idea around here. :D

I'd love to have a summer home near a lake in Northern Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire - like in the movie "On Golden Pond".

Then I'd like to have a winter home in South Florida or Hawaii.

I'd like to stay in Indiana during the spring and autumn though. Those seasons are very beautiful here.

So what is that? Three different homes? haha. Yeah, DREAM ON DAVID!  :laugh:  :laugh:

I know what you mean David. I too have these wonderful dreams of having homes in all the places I have been that I like to visit over and over again. I don't think that will happen though since I sure don't have that kind of money  ;)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »
It's OK to have dreams.  It's also OK that some are out of reach and won't come true.  I don't get it when people say "Oh, when you stop dreaming" - and give in to reality I suppose - that you're just "giving up on life".  Honestly, do people realize what they're saying?  I explain to my friends how I need to give up on a dream of mine to go away so I can stay near my mother who is in her last days with cancer and I'm lambasted as a quitter for giving up on my dreams!

Hello!!  Jeez  >:(

So, it's OK to dream about Wyoming but to think logically about moving there, Jeff.  I have multiple fantasies and dreams about moving abroad, etc.  But like you, reality sets in pretty quick.  I have limited job skills, at this time in my life my family needs me near, due to family genetics, health insurance is of extreme importance and despite what others say, I've seen what happens when you don't have these things and that trumps dreams pretty quick.