Author Topic: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!  (Read 175167 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2008, 11:06:09 am »
I have a co-worker, very conservative, very active in a fundamentalist church, who took his son to see TDK.  Wasn't crazy about it but he was impressed with Heath's performance.   I questioned him about whether he'd seen any other movies with Heath Ledger and he was very surprised to hear that this was the same actor who'd played the son in The Patriot.  He then asked if this wasn't the guy who was in Brokeback Mountain, and remarked that he'd seen some movies that had generated some controversy.  He then remarked that he'd thought of watching BBM (whose title he had trouble remembering) and I told him I had the DVD and to let me know if he wanted to borrow it.

The subject didn't come up again for awhile, but again this week people started discussing movies in a general way and he suddenly asked me if I'd lend him my copy of Brokeback for the weekend.  Needless to say, I told him I'd bring it in the next work day, which will be Saturday.

Wish me luck! or more appropriately, wish BBM and Heath luck.  This is someone who isn't real close-minded and I doubt it will convert him to supporting marriage equality, etc. but it would be a good non-confrontational way to give him some food for thought.

If anyone has any opinion on which would be the best version to lend -- full-screen or wide screen -- let me know.  I have both versions -- wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.   ;D

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2008, 11:36:13 am »
^  Way cool, Marge!

I think widescreen, definitely.  Beautiful cinematography, landscape shots, etc.  The truest representation of Ang and the screenwriters' vision.

Offline optom3

« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:45 am »
O.K just to be awqward, I think full screen,you see the wedding ring in the motel scene, Jacks hand in TS1 just small details but quite significant, particularly the weding ring.You are just gtting comfortable with the motel scene and the boys back with each other where they should be,then you see the ring.
However that could just be important to  BBM obsesive.I have both versions too. Maybe just give her the 2.!!!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2008, 12:00:04 pm »
Yeah but technically, widescreen is what Ang wanted us to see.

I always thought fullscreen was hotter for the motel scene, because you see more of Jack's chest.  More gratifying to know Ennis is resting on that.

But we're talking about a conservative, delicate viewing audience in this case, so I vote for widescreen!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
 :laugh:

If I hadn't known you're all Brokies I would know now ;D ;)

Full screen or wide screen? Only Brokies would discuss what to lend to a colleague.
I hope he will be able to see beyond the fundamental believes of his church (at least he's willing to give it a try).
And for the records, my vote also goes for the wide screen version, for all the mentioned reasons (eh, yes, my name is Chrissi and I'm a Brokie ;)).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2008, 02:35:33 pm »
I'd say either would be fine. Maybe wide, for the scenery. It's so encouraging that he asked to borrow it, I don't thnk whether or not he notices the camera focusing on the wedding ring is going to help (come to think of it, in this case, it might hurt  :-\). The main thing is that he gets the emotional impact, which might help loosen some preconceptions.

Offline optom3

« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2008, 05:21:48 pm »
:laugh:

If I hadn't known you're all Brokies I would know now ;D ;)

Full screen or wide screen? Only Brokies would discuss what to lend to a colleague.
I hope he will be able to see beyond the fundamental believes of his church (at least he's willing to give it a try).
And for the records, my vote also goes for the wide screen version, for all the mentioned reasons (eh, yes, my name is Chrissi and I'm a Brokie ;)).

Oh O.K  I give in, I am so fickle, widescreen it is !!!! But I still prefer seeing more of the boys bodies in the full screen,version, especially TSI, the hand ! and motel scene.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2008, 10:47:50 am »
This has been so helpful! when I was trying to decide, I didn't realize that I wasn't thinking in terms of someone who's stretching their comfort level a bit.  As I recall from early discussions about wide screen vs full screen, wide screen is better for the nature-type scenery and full is better for the, um, human scenery.  So wide screen it is -- the full screen version is my preference anyway and this way I won't be letting it out of my possession. 

And yes, my name is Marcia and I'm a Brokie.  Even thinking of having both versions, let alone buying them, proves that!   ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2008, 04:33:09 pm »
O.K just to be awqward, I think full screen,you see the wedding ring in the motel scene, Jacks hand in TS1 just small details but quite significant, particularly the weding ring.You are just gtting comfortable with the motel scene and the boys back with each other where they should be,then you see the ring.
However that could just be important to  BBM obsesive.I have both versions too. Maybe just give her the 2.!!!

You can see Jack's hand in TS1 in widescreen (you can also see Ennis's hand when he reaches forward to hold Jack's hand... you have to watch for the tan sleeve to suddenly appear).

But, it is true that you can't see the wedding ring in widescreen.

So, Marge, how did your co-worker like it?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2008, 07:30:28 am »
To me, the question is How big is the screen they are watching it on?  The bigger the screen, the better it can hold widescreen.  The smaller, the more useful fullscreen becomes.