Author Topic: The Perfect President  (Read 11627 times)

injest

The Perfect President
« on: June 25, 2008, 08:52:52 pm »
I would like my President to have a career in public service. A stint in the military would be nice.

He would be honest and charismatic. Stable in his relationships.

He would be liberal on some things, abortion, gay rights; conservative on others: spending, regulation of industry...

basically someone that has common sense and independent of party politics...

what would you want in the 'Perfect President'??

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: The Perfect President
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:17:33 pm »
Is it too late to give John Quincy Adams another try?

injest

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:24:16 pm »
Is it too late to give John Quincy Adams another try?

I am thinking he is no longer available..

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:48:35 pm »
Injest:

well said:
      I would like my President to have a career in public service. A stint in the military would be nice.

He would be honest and charismatic. Stable in his relationships.

He would be liberal on some things, abortion, gay rights; conservative on others: spending, regulation of industry...

basically someone that has common sense and independent of party politics...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:05:47 pm »
I am thinking he is no longer available..

perhaps not, more the pity. On a more serious note, JQ Adams is exactly the type of statesman which we really do need. He was a man who took principled leadership positions and didn't care about popularity. JQ Adams is one of my heroes, and he actually was at the peak of his career after he was defeated for reelect in 1828 and he went over to the US Congress and was elected as a Rep from his home district in MA. JQ Adams took very unpopular positions in the 1830's and 1840's against the spread of slavery into the western territories. In many ways he was the ideological father of Abraham Lincoln.

We just don't have these types of statesmen and stateswomen today do we? Talk about a complete resume - JQ Adams was very prepared for public life. We need a President who has the experience to show and elicit leadership in all the areas of the Presidency

1) commander in chief - the president must be able to command the respect of the military

2) head of state - the president must be able to represent his or her country abroad, at formal gatherings, and be able to rally the people to his or her  cause

3) chief political leader of his party - the president must be able to cobble together majorities in the congress in order to get the people's business done

4) chief administrator - the president must be able to delegate authority to able administrators in exec branch

we have been so busy lately opining about the possible electoral strategies of the two candidates that I think we are forgetting that we must elect someone who has the ability and the experience to function ably as president.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:55:02 pm »
Merci brokeplex:

well said:

we must elect someone who has the ability and the experience to function ably as president. 

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:03:45 pm »
I don't think our president necessarily has to have military experience.

After all, aren't we wanting a peaceful world or at the very least a country at peace?

If we actually accomplish one of these goals, we're going to have presidents that have never known war, much less served in the military.

Would that be such a bad thing?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:08:46 pm »
I don't think our president necessarily has to have military experience.

After all, aren't we wanting a peaceful world or at the very least a country at peace?

If we actually accomplish one of these goals, we're going to have presidents that have never known war, much less served in the military.

Would that be such a bad thing?

yep, and I'd like a world without locks on my doors, no home alarm system, and no theft insurance. but, I haven't quite found that low hole in the wall and the rabbit looking at his watch just yet.   ;)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:41 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

We used to have like you say, but can we have that again; or are we to blind now to want it again and assure it ?

As you say:
       I'd like a world without locks on my doors, no home alarm system, and no theft insurance.         

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:17 pm »
yep, and I'd like a world without locks on my doors, no home alarm system, and no theft insurance. but, I haven't quite found that low hole in the wall and the rabbit looking at his watch just yet.   ;)

How about the reserves but never actually served?  ;)

Let's see, can we find a generation or at least a generation X that grew up in a time of no war for this country?

This is what I found:

"Vietnam War"1956-1975

Second Persian Gulf War "Operation Desert Storm" 1991

Everything in between has been very limited conflicts for this country or we were not really at war, just hunting down insurgent or rebels or we had no opposition whatsoever - Grenada, Panama, Libya, Lebanon - and up until Afghanistan in 2001, we had Kosovo as the most 'warlike' conflict.

So an entire generation grew up starting in 1975 and was too young for the Gulf War and while too young to run for president, could still be a Congressperson in 2001 never having been to war or needing to be in the military at all.