Author Topic: Who Was On the Cover of Esquire the Month You Were Born?  (Read 19086 times)

JudgeHolden

Re: Who Was On the Cover of Esquire the Month You Were Born?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:34 pm »

heh.............
had to look up Barrie Chase.  Only thing that rang a bell was that she was the bikini clad girlfriend dance of the loud crazy Ethel Merman son in 'It's a Mad, Mad...World.'

wow, Terry was alive when John Steinbeck was alive ;D.

Offline twtplanner

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 05:18:29 pm »
wow, Terry was alive when John Steinbeck was alive ;D.

heh.....looks like you too would've been along for the ride in ol' Tom Joad's jalopy.  for a couple of years, anyway. 

Actually, now that you mention it, that's the kind of thing that makes you sit back, turn your head aside, and and utter and silent, 'hmmmm.'

terry

JudgeHolden

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 11:00:50 pm »
Yeah, well, I wasnt around for Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy or  John Glenn's space shot, Pops ;D.

injest

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:52 pm »
Yeah, well, I wasnt around for Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy or  John Glenn's space shot, Pops ;D.

good lort...how old ARE you? ten??

JudgeHolden

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »
Well, heh, look at my frame of refernec: the Kennedy assassination and the moon program. Most whippersnappers, thats as distant as World War 2. Im just giving ol' Terry a hard time because he just rolled over another number on the odometer. I myself was around for Robert Kennedy, MLK, and the moon landing. Matter of fact, I recently had a conversation with a young guy about your sons age who didnt know there had been a FIRST Gulf War and counldnt believe we had typing class in my high school on actual typewriters. To him it sounded like my granddaddy's stories of growing up before indoor plumbing and rural electrification.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 03:20:01 pm »
I say the brunette is Ann-Margret (she was usually a redhead).

You mean June 1961 (brokeback_dev)? That is definitely not Ann-Margret. God help me, I ain't jokin', I think it's Anita Bryant for June 1961!

I did a little, a very little, very quick research, but I couldn't find any documentation.

My month just had a cartoon of a cable car. It appears the cover story was something about San Francisco.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:24:46 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 04:18:11 pm »
You mean June 1961 (brokeback_dev)? That is defintely not Ann-Margret. God help me, I ain't jokin', I think it's Anita Bryant for June 1961!

I did a little, a very little, very quick research, but I couldn't find any documentation.

My month just had a cartoon of a cable car. It appears the cover story was something about San Francisco.

I think it was Anita Bryant too!  (EWWWW!)  She would have been 21.

Esky was the only figure on my month.

Offline lia

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:48 pm »
Well, heh, look at my frame of refernec: the Kennedy assassination and the moon program. Most whippersnappers, thats as distant as World War 2. Im just giving ol' Terry a hard time because he just rolled over another number on the odometer. I myself was around for Robert Kennedy, MLK, and the moon landing. Matter of fact, I recently had a conversation with a young guy about your sons age who didnt know there had been a FIRST Gulf War and counldnt believe we had typing class in my high school on actual typewriters. To him it sounded like my granddaddy's stories of growing up before indoor plumbing and rural electrification.

You must have been a propper whippersnapper when Mssrs Armstrong and Aldrin first set foot/feet on the moon (do you really remember that?). I was twelve at the time, on holiday in the Black Forest and clearly recall standing outside on a clear night together with my family, looking up at the moon, marvelling at the achievement. Though the person I remember being bowled over most vocally was our host (his wife ran the B & B we stayed in), a nice German farmer, who hadn't had much chance of education in his life. For him, just then, maybe just for the moment, the moon landing and America by association were clearly the Holy Grail.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:22:57 am by lia »

injest

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 10:14:19 pm »

my son swears he is scarred for life because his friends found out in the third grade we still had a 8 track player...

(how mortifying to have thrifty parents!)  ::) ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 10:26:45 pm »
I think it was Anita Bryant too!  (EWWWW!)  She would have been 21.

Esky was the only figure on my month.

My reaction, too, Judge, but she was something of a popular singer back in the day. ...

Not my day, though. I don't remember anything before 1962.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.