Author Topic: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!  (Read 67670 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:02:50 am »
I have just come here for a quick rant. I cannot believe how much of BBM was censored by Bravo. Most of TS1 most of TS2 every fu--ing was changed to frigging.The couple of HAF'S  was changed to high altitude flings.A farce. I am sorry as I know I am a guest in your country,but the T.V censorship here is puritanical.
I wish I had never watched it,I am now watching it again on dvd to rid my mind of the ridiculous Bravo version.It was so censored my 11 year old son watched it with me.He did not have to cover his eyes once,but bless him we still both cried at the end.Every Mom should have a son like my Matt.
11.5 years and I still get a goodnight kiss, and when asked by his tennis coach what I liked, re my birthday, he replied,Heath Ledger,cooking, tennis and led Zeppelin.He just so knows me!!!!
He has watched AKT with me and could not believe it was the same person.He is gong to see TDK with his dad and report back for me.
I  found it just too heartbreaking/disturbing to be watching BBM then have a trailer for TDK in the adverts.It all just seems too much at the moment.
Well rant over, now it's going to be a really late night again, as I sit and watch the proper version.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:50:39 pm by optom3 »

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
Re: Bravo's version of BBM censored beyond belief, a joke
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:36:25 am »
I just got home a few minutes ago and turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. What do I find but Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car! I had no idea it would be on Bravo tonight. I didn't want to watch the whole thing because I haven't watched in a long time and didn't want to start in the middle and deal with commercials, but I decided to at least watch till the reunion. Ennis hears the truck, gets that amazing little smile, runs out on the porch, and says "Jack FREDERICK Twist!" WHAT?! It took me right out of the moment. I completely agree with you about censorship. I'm sure there are things that shouldn't be seen on television, but I'm pretty sure kids have all heard things much worse than "Jack fuckin Twist" in school. Optom, would that have been allowed in England? Are we that much worse in the United States than in other countries?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:12:14 am »
I cant speak for England, but I am in Australia, and the movie has been on TV here many times....and it is exactly the original movie....NO CENSORSHIP AT ALL....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:17:56 am »
I cant speak for England, but I am in Australia, and the movie has been on TV here many times....and it is exactly the original movie....NO CENSORSHIP AT ALL....

BRAVO censored it. Fiona is quite accurate in what she just said. The tent scene was all hacked to hell, and yet the scene with Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car was nearly fully intact. They all but cut out the tent scene (one of the most important scenes in the entire movie IMO). Once Ennis said to Jack "What are you doing" they cut to the OUTSIDE of the tent.

We stilll have a LONG WAY to go here in the good ole' USA. And BRAVO (a very pro gay channel) just once again proves this fact. ::) >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:20:00 am »
After all, GOD FORBID we offend anyone in this country!!

>:(

injest

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:22:20 am »
I thought Bravo was 'gay friendly' and on top of that it is CABLE...good grief...

did they show Anne Hathaway's breasts??

injest

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:23:05 am »
"Jack FREAKING Twist!!"

doesn't have the same punch does it?

:P

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 07:17:04 am »
I may be wrong here but ...

I believe Bravo's a canadian station - (thus the pro-gay reputation[?]) a part of the CITY-TV family of stations.

Therefore, as a Canadian, and even though I no longer watch TV ....

I would like to apologize.  
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:32:27 am »
"Jack FREAKING Twist!!"

Bwaaa-ha-ha!  ::) ::)

How utterly sad - perhaps especially the removal/mangling of the two tent scenes.

Did they at least keep the reunion intact, or did they remove that kissing as well?

Well, BBM is in elite company as it enters the list of great works of art around the globe that have been censored, covered up, mangled or blown to bits in order to comply with the lowest common denominator of prudery from ignorant busybodies who had no concept or understanding of art, nor indeed of anything much else, but lots of concepts of how to restrict and meddle in others' "Morality" while purporting to be motivated by the concern that those others (not ever themselves) would be corrupted.

For some reason, the first thought that came to mind in comparison was that Iran some years ago (before the intro of the Euro currency) wouldn't allow people to possess French Franc bills, because the bills held the image of the great French national painting "Freedom leads the People" in which Freedom is a woman with a *gasp* bared breast showing.  *shakes head* Yeah, that would corrupt innocent minds the way the mullahs never could!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:19:49 am »
The overriding question is: Did the edits change the meaning of the story?

Milo
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:23 am »
I just got home a few minutes ago and turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. What do I find but Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car! I had no idea it would be on Bravo tonight. I didn't want to watch the whole thing because I haven't watched in a long time and didn't want to start in the middle and deal with commercials, but I decided to at least watch till the reunion. Ennis hears the truck, gets that amazing little smile, runs out on the porch, and says "Jack FREDERICK Twist!" WHAT?! It took me right out of the moment.

I didn't know whether to laugh or scream at reading that.  "Jack Frederick Twist"? LOL....

We don't get cable stations and I'm glad of that in this case -- will never forget how outraged I was when I first watched Cabaret on TV. It had been so chopped up that if you hadn't already seen it a couple of times you literally wouldn't be able to follow it.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:20:01 am »

In view of the tent scene being almost eliminated BUT the scene with Jack and Lureen in the car being kept in, yes it did. The overall meaning was tainted with "hetero sex with bare boobies --- wooooooo doggies!  'Homo' sex of any kind -- let's keep that invisible."

Maybe it was only a slight taint; but would you voluntarily eat meat that had "just a little rotten spot" on it?   :P

Offline optom3

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 10:08:17 am »
I just got home a few minutes ago and turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. What do I find but Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car! I had no idea it would be on Bravo tonight. I didn't want to watch the whole thing because I haven't watched in a long time and didn't want to start in the middle and deal with commercials, but I decided to at least watch till the reunion. Ennis hears the truck, gets that amazing little smile, runs out on the porch, and says "Jack FREDERICK Twist!" WHAT?! It took me right out of the moment. I completely agree with you about censorship. I'm sure there are things that shouldn't be seen on television, but I'm pretty sure kids have all heard things much worse than "Jack fuckin Twist" in school. Optom, would that have been allowed in England? Are we that much worse in the United States than in other countries?
It was shown uncut in England.I was here by then, but I have it on very good authority.It was shown after what is called the 9.00pm watershed.So you know it may not be suitable for kids.

Offline optom3

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 10:54:18 am »

Milo

YES AND YES AND YES !!!!!

I  am still mad about it and I am a straight married woman.TS1 was completely cut except you heard noises while having an outside shot of the tent.TS2,  which I think is pivotal, ( is almost all cut out, !!!!!) as it shows the love and affection starting to develop between Jack and Ennis,plus the I'M  sorry and it's alright, indicate Ennis has tried and lost in his fight to go to Jack,but still gets a comforting,s'alright from him.So when te 2 leave the mountain and Ennis so  grief stricken he retches, a first time viewermust think WTF they've had one quick F--k and then he goes to his tent again,why so upset.
I am so mad I can hardly write and this is the next day!!!!!

What I HATE and is twisted and sick and oh I am boiling mad, is that it makes it look like gay men at that point in the film are just defined by sex not love,
This makes the reunion scene take on a whole new meaning, yes they do show the kiss and motel scene, but it after TS1 and 2 it just looks like more sex. It seems like they can't keep their hands off each other, which I know they cant, but minus most of TS2 it becomes just a lust thing with no love.To give you an idea, of how it was censored my wonderful son, Matt only had to close his eyes for the car scene and Alma and Ennis in bed.

I had to fill him in on lots so that he understood it was love and that was why the end was so sad.!!!!!! He is at the gifted school so he is exceptionally intelligent, but because of the editing the whole thing was lost on him.I would suspect that would be the way most first time viewers would perceive it.I would go so far as to say it verged on anti gay. How could They show the the motel scene but not most of TS2 were they deliberately trying to make it look like just sex with no love.? In my opinion, yes,Quite deliberately, because we lose next to nothing of the man woman side of things.
The famous last meet is changed in context beyond belief.Jack says I am not like you I can't get by on a couple of HA flings a year.By not saying HAF"s it makes Jack's need for more, more commitment, more completeness more love, meaningless.He wants MORE THAN SEX !!!!
I really am blazing.We get all the man/'woman tenderness so we have even more pity for them and Jack and Ennis become much less sympathetic.
Jack in particular looks much les sympathetic as we see the Mexico trip and the Randal scene.
To answer someone else's question it was shown after 9.00 so I don't see the need for all the censorship. What makes me maddest of all is that having seen the "real" thing, it is just even worse.I was shouting at the T.V.
It also underlines how important every little millisecond and word of the film was.TS2 is pivotal, and although I may have understood the genius of every word, gesture and nuance in the film.It was not until seeing a cut version that it really struck home.
I really do think it was edited in a way to show gay relationships in the worst light possible.That is wrong, in fact it is sick. My first husband is an a loving wonderful relationship of nearly 20 years.But according to Bravo that cannot possibly be so.
In fact I am so mad I am thinking of writing to the company.They would have been better not to have shown it at all.It almost seemed to me that it was being shown as an anti gay thing.
I can understand TS1 being cut, but what the F--K was the problem of TS2 except of course it shows that what was developing was more than sex.Call me cynical, but that seems pretty anti gay to me.
As you can tell I am really mad about it all.

Offline optom3

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04:43 am »
I do NOT find it funny that this movie was censored, but do wonder why a TV network in the USA did not censor a film which is FOR muslims to show them why it is OK to kill in the USA, Canada, England...
and my head spins as we are FORCED to accept islam ?

But we can NOT have real sex !!

Oh you can have sex, but only straight. But that is not the biggest problem with the way it was censored.By mangling the intimacy and affection of TS2, having let us hear all the sex noises from TS2 it implies that gays only want sex and not love.It is a long time since I have been so mad.

injest

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 11:24:14 am »
you tell them, Fiona!!

>:( >:(

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 11:36:00 am »
BBM was shown recently on British TV, and without any censoring (though as someone said earlier, it was after the "9pm watershed", and it was on Channel 4, which is well known for openly broaching 'adult' themes).

I can (leaving aside our feelings about it being butchered) sort of accept a film being censored if it's to be shown during early evening viewing when kids might be watching on one level, but surely if programmers know a film's content's not suitable for a younger audience (and in the case of BBM it's classification kinda gives that away) why the hell put it on at that sort of time anyhow??

Sounds like in this case the fact that every other scene but the Jack/Lureen one got chopped is a very clear case of obviously biased censorship to say the least, and I'm not surprised you're mad.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline optom3

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 11:56:01 am »
you tell them, Fiona!!

>:( >:(

I am going to.For the first time in my life I am actually going to write a letter to a paper.I don't suppose they'll publish it,but I will feel better.Bunch of hypocrites.Go round carrying guns but can't show affection, not sex just plain affection between 2 men.Oooh I am STILL SOOOOO   mad !!!!

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 12:39:16 pm »
I'm right behind you Fiona, it's a shame that this was censored so much in the US, and as you rightly mention it is sending out all the wrong messages to people who have never see it.

I'm glad it was shown in it's entirity he in the UK, it prompted me to watch the DVD, buy the AP novel, and just as importantly, sign up to Bettermost.

You go girl

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 12:51:42 pm »
I'm glad it was shown in it's entirity he in the UK, it prompted me to watch the DVD, buy the AP novel, and just as importantly, sign up to Bettermost.

Ah, Brokeback got another one good! Welcome to Bettermost!  :)

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 01:01:53 pm »
I didn't watch, I had strong suspicions that it would be hacked up, and while I didn't know of this thread, there was a similar discussion on DCF, and reading there only confirmed my thoughts.

Frederick Bravo.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »
Ah, Brokeback got another one good! Welcome to Bettermost!  :)

Many thanks, I truely love this place.......true salvation  :)

injest

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »
I didn't watch, I had strong suspicions that it would be hacked up, and while I didn't know of this thread, there was a similar discussion on DCF, and reading there only confirmed my thoughts.

Frederick Bravo.

and Fredrick the horse they rode in on...

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 02:19:37 pm »
Frederick, that is too funny!  :laugh:

but was the central meaing to the story changed? sure the art form, the structure all that is wonderful technically about the film would be changed with that type of editing. but, I wonder if viewers who have never seen BM before, and watched only the edited version, will be able to see the pathos, the tragedy, and what homophobia did to Jack and Ennis. If they can see and understand that truth then, "let be, let be".

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 03:41:22 pm »

Milo
Oh most definitely!  I've seen BBM many times.  I lost count somewhere past 30 viewings.  I know I have each line memorized, and literally every scene burned into my brain.  What offended me the most was not the fact they had removed the f-word from every scene and either deleted it or replaced it with something else; but they removed key scenes which destroyed the entire structure of the film for me.  It was laughable, but yet sad to view.

I had heard Bravo was showing this in conjunction with the GLAAD awards.  By cutting the tent scenes and a few other key scenes they totally missed the boat.  But I think what bothers me the most, is this hacked up version of BBM will undoubtedly be the one that will be shown on the likes of NBC or CBS in the coming months; and any who have not seen the original version are going to say WTF is this!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 04:02:43 pm »
OK...

The problem that I see being discussed here is that audiences in the US are uncomfortable with on-screen depictions of man2man sex. That's a fact that we all knew before BBM was edited for TV. 

The version of BBM shown on Bravo removed the visual moments of Jack & Ennis having sex, and the profanity. Does the removal of the sex scenes mean that a first-time viewer does not understand that these two men were in love with each other?? There are other moments in the film that show the love between these two men. Does the lack of profanity change anything fundamental about who these men were? I would have to say "no" in both cases. Yes, the TV version might be missing some original details, but the story and the lessons it has to teach are still firmly intact.

Milo

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 04:53:22 pm »
BRAVO censored it. Fiona is quite accurate in what she just said. The tent scene was all hacked to hell, and yet the scene with Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car was nearly fully intact. They all but cut out the tent scene (one of the most important scenes in the entire movie IMO). Once Ennis said to Jack "What are you doing" they cut to the OUTSIDE of the tent.

We stilll have a LONG WAY to go here in the good ole' USA. And BRAVO (a very pro gay channel) just once again proves this fact. ::) >:(

Fucking assholes. There. I said it.  :P

Offline optom3

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »

Frederick Bravo.

What I do not get, is why cut out the major part of TS2. I simply cannot see the reasoning.Cut that out but leave in the reunion scene ????!!!!! Actually I think it was quite deliberate and just low down.By cutting so much of TS2 it really becomes far less of a truly tragic love story.Jack and Ennis just look more lust craved than in love, so for the new viewer the sympathies are very much pushed towards the women.
TS2 was treated in much the same way  as TS1,ie pan to an outside view, so the viewer is left with the assumption that it is all about sex again.No growing love and tenderness,
That of course just alters pretty well everything, the reunion kiss becomes more lust as does the motel scene.
I abhor them for doing that.It was a disgusting travesty,done im my opinion to manipulate public conception of gays.What's more they took a cinematic masterpiece and trashed it ,for what I can only think was their own agenda.
I am glad I saw it as it shows the true colours of some very influential people in this country.I also hate that I saw it, because it has made me boiling mad.
I have to stop now it is not good for my blood pressure.

Offline optom3

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »
OK...

The problem that I see being discussed here is that audiences in the US are uncomfortable with on-screen depictions of man2man sex. That's a fact that we all knew before BBM was edited for TV. 

The version of BBM shown on Bravo removed the visual moments of Jack & Ennis having sex, and the profanity. Does the removal of the sex scenes mean that a first-time viewer does not understand that these two men were in love with each other?? There are other moments in the film that show the love between these two men. Does the lack of profanity change anything fundamental about who these men were? I would have to say "no" in both cases. Yes, the TV version might be missing some original details, but the story and the lessons it has to teach are still firmly intact.

Milo

I am sorry, and I am not being delberately argumentative, but if they had just removed the sexand profanity,I would have had far less of a problem.It is the fact that they removed the affection and love that was developing.That completely IMO alters the whole perspective.I love TS2 Ennis so shy, fighting and losing with a feeling he is powerless to ignore.Jack so tender and caring of him, quietly reassuring him.
Instead we get a quick glimpse and then cut to outside.The very clear, again IMO, reasoning behind this is to persuade us the viewer that TS2 is just a repeat of TS1. NO it isn't.
Also the manipulation has to be deliberate.They show the whole reunion kiss, so obviously dont have a problem,with 2 men kissing, also they show the two in the motel, so no problem with men in each others arms.Their problem is, if they were to show TS2 in its full state, they would have to show the viewer that 2 men can have a tender love for each other not just sex.That I think was a deliberate move.They would in effect  just be combining the reunion kiss and motel scene.So leaving it out makes no sense, other than blatant  manipualtion.Or can middle America only cope with the 2 things separately, ie in each others arms and kissing.I find that just as offensive and also deeply patronising.If it is true, then it is just plain worrying.
So many people who disparage gays, use that sort of argument, oh it's all just sex.No it isn't and neither was BBM. Here was an opportunity to show a love that spanned 20 years, that was deeply felt by both men and yet given no chance because of societies prejudices.They could still have cutTS1 if they were worried, but left the rest and so maybe tried to educate a blinkered homophobic sector of America.
I cannot and will not condone what they did to BBM.They altered the whole slant of the film, not by removing the sex, but by removing the affecton and love.
Better not to have shown it all, than to feed the already deeply entrenched views held by some.
I am a .married woman watching this, so I cannot imagine how offensive it would have been to gay men
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:41:25 pm by optom3 »

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 05:07:58 pm »
It is the fact tat they remoed the affection and love that was developing.T

And my point is that there are plenty of other places in the film that depict friendship, love, and affection between J&E beyond SNIT. Yes, it was a moment of tenderness between them, but it is not the only one, nor does it necessarily define their bond before leaving the mountain.

Milo

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 05:14:05 pm »
 :(

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 06:10:59 pm »
Here's a cap from FNIT

I don't remember ever seeing this shot before. Or is it my imagination?

injest

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2008, 06:41:25 pm »
OK...

Milo

I have to disagree. I remember distinctly the WHOA!! WHAT THE HECK!? Where did that come from?......of the first night.

and the 'oh....oh my god...this is not what I thought it was' of the second night...

then going back and being FORCED to think...where did this come from? what did I miss?

those scenes are pivotal to understanding Ennis for sure. They are the only ones where we SEE Ennis opening up...we see that there is where he let himself breath...it sets off the entire rest of the movie where he tightens up more and more til the end when he collapses.

and as bad as it sounds, I think this slaughter job was planned. the mention of the GLAAD awards confirmed it for me. I may be one of the FEW that remember the vitriol poured on BBM by the 'gay community' in Hollywood. The nightly mocking and paradying from gay actors. I think it is an effort to discredit the movie.

my opinion.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 06:42:40 pm »
Gosh, I don't remember seeing that either. Interesting BC John! Thanks for posting that!

I'm glad I didn't watch this, I would have found it upsetting.

As you all know, I am dead set against censorship.

The tent scenes are absolutely essential to the story and should not have been tampered with. Ang Lee shot them with the utmost discretion and they are so dark anyway that if they were shown at the proper time of evening when small children are asleep, they should not have offended anyone.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 06:43:21 pm »
Here's a cap from FNIT

no....it looks like Ennis is choking Jack!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 06:46:41 pm »
I was expecting FNIT to be edited, but what they did to SNIT was just wrong.

It's one of the most beautiful, romantic scenes in the history of film.

It was ok to show Jack getting his face bashed in by the tire iron, but America can't handle a little affection??

It was a bullshit edit.

injest

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 06:52:52 pm »
I was expecting FNIT to be edited, but what they did to SNIT was just wrong.

It's one of the most beautiful, romantic scenes in the history of film.

It was ok to show Jack getting his face bashed in by the tire iron, but America can't handle a little affection??

It was a bullshit edit.

exactly....if Jack kissing Lureen with her boobs all out on display wasnt'  cut then Jack kissing a FULLY CLOTHED Ennis shouldn't have been..

injest

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 06:54:09 pm »
and if it wastn' BRAVO...if it HAD been CBS then I maybe could understand...but those of you that HAVE Bravo, are they this dainty about other gay shows?? Do they allow the 'f' word on other shows?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »
I don't watch much on Bravo anymore, but I know I have heard FUCK on "Inside the Actor's Studio' more than a few times.

Offline my_lil_darlin

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:59 pm »
Who in hell knew that Jack's middle name was Franklin?  *snerk*

Was it my eyes, or did it seem as though the actors had filmed each scene twice, once for the original movie and once for the censored version?   I swear when I saw Jack tell Ennis, "Maybe you can get by on a couple of high altitude flings a couple of times a year, but I cain't!  I'm not you!" that his lips really said "flings".

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 09:22:37 pm »
I have a confession to make, and Ive said it here before........

At my first viewing of Brokeback, I was a bit shocked by the first tent scene, in fact, my thoughts were, "They could have left that out, and just left it to our imaginaton".  Maybe it was because, for me, it was the first time ever I had seen M2M sex depicted that way, and I just wasn't ready for it.

But.......a week later when I saw the movie the second time, I looked at that scene in a very different way, it was absolutely overwhelming, and one of the most important scenes in the movie. The sexual actions became only a part of the whole scene. It was the fumbling, the "whats going on", the rawness of the feelings that were going thru their minds, it was a moment that would change them forever.

Oh my God.....did they really censor the "Jack Fucking Twist" scene........oh no......those three words were  the equivilent of those three words that Ennis never said to Jack....."I love you"..........

Lets just hope that the viewers of the Bravo version, will be prompted to get the DVD now and watch the original version.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 10:04:02 pm »
This is Jack & Lureen in the car. Again, an angle shot that I have never seen before. It's at the very end of the scene.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »
This scene may not look different, but it is very different in the version shown on Bravo.

The walls of the tent are moving quite a bit and you can hear a lot of huffin' and puffin'.

It looks like they may have used a computer to make the tent move.

injest

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2008, 10:36:18 pm »
This scene may not look different, but it is very different in the version shown on Bravo.

The walls of the tent are moving quite a bit and you can hear a lot of huffin' and puffin'.

oh my God...anyone remember Nathan Lane on David Letterman??

did he do the editing?!!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2008, 10:37:03 pm »
I could not believe what I heard. It was almost hilarious. "Jack Frederick Twist" and "high altitude flings" sounded ridiculous. I thought that I was hearing things! The censorship made my stomach turn and I couldn't keep watching it. The sad thing about it was who the f____, I mean the hell which was the replacement for f---- in the Bravo version, dubbed for both boys especially for Heath??? That seemed really eerie to me. How dare they mess up BBM!

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2008, 10:37:41 pm »
The 60 times or so I've watched the movie, I've always seen the tent "moving"...

What was actually cut from the SNIT?  The whole thing?  :o  If so, that's fucking bullshit, and it's discriminatory.  Bravo should be sued.

This here "skit" from Mad TV was aired on regular broadcast TV before Brokeback Mountain was ever released.  What does this mean?  Is it ok if it's just "for fun"?  Or, is Bravo over-editing and being discriminatory?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsHvq6juEY[/youtube]

injest

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 10:45:04 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0RAoSN-Rjk[/youtube]

I guess it won't be long between the 'opera' and the reworking of the editors that this will seem 'right'

Offline optom3

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 11:10:47 pm »
I have to disagree. I remember distinctly the WHOA!! WHAT THE HECK!? Where did that come from?......of the first night.

and the 'oh....oh my god...this is not what I thought it was' of the second night...

then going back and being FORCED to think...where did this come from? what did I miss?

those scenes are pivotal to understanding Ennis for sure. They are the only ones where we SEE Ennis opening up...we see that there is where he let himself breath...it sets off the entire rest of the movie where he tightens up more and more til the end when he collapses.

and as bad as it sounds, I think this slaughter job was planned. the mention of the GLAAD awards confirmed it for me. I may be one of the FEW that remember the vitriol poured on BBM by the 'gay community' in Hollywood. The nightly mocking and paradying from gay actors. I think it is an effort to discredit the movie.

my opinion.

Yes, yes and yes.

It seemed to me as a Brit. not used to such censorship, that it was quite deliberate and planned.It really did change the whole movie quite fundamentally.
We need to see the more "free" Ennis so we get caught up in the whole tragedy as he just gets more and more closed up.We need to believe that there was something that Jack saw that made him think for 20 years there was a chance they could make it work.If not, then the I wish I knew how to quit you scene makes no sense.
We need to see tender free Ennis, for the alley scene to make any sense.Looking at the Bravo version. and having lost most of the tender time in TS2 ,the alley scene could even be interpreted as Ennis being sickened by what had happened on BBM.We see no real love or affection on BBM, just the outside of the tent twice and the fight.So even that is insane.What then in Bravos version was so sacred to them about about BBM.
Why would Jack have kept the shirts at the end of summer if al they appeared to have was a couple of f--ks and a fight ??????? More insanity, he kept them because of love, and when Ennis finds them he knows finally of Jacks love for him, and also he finally accepts his love for Jack.Only it is too late.
But that doesn't matter a long as we see Jack getting clubbed to death.
No wonder teenagers are so violent.
Lets look at the message here, volence in extreme graphic detail does not need to be censored, so therefore by implication is condoned.Affection betwen 2 men very bad and so has to be censored.It is not just what was taken out by the censors, it is also about what was left in.
I can't write any more,It has just annoyed me all day.
I still believe what they did changed the whole tone of the movie.It must have done,or why am I so mad.If it had ben a fair and sensible censorship,I would not have posted, ranting about it.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 11:21:33 pm »
The 60 times or so I've watched the movie, I've always seen the tent "moving"...

Yes Eric, but not like it does in the Bravo version. It's a very noticeable difference.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 11:29:23 pm »
Merci optom !

Right, your are optom !

However, we are NOT even free to talk on Bettermost, since more and more being censored for this freedom:
    When someone says, as said (no offence to you mil nor to anyone):

May I say that:
The real problem is likely religions and non-religions, which will not accept homosexuality, because even the mafia and other criminals like making money concerning sex, right ??

Plus, since we now let in too many unwanted strange religions such as muslims and others owning our Tv networks or stations or other bussinesses in our democratic countries, it seems that it is OK to talk and show that murdering like 9/11 again would be Ok as that was a Tv show which was aired on Tv in the USA, and yet, we found no offence to that - at least, I did and still foind that film as a horrible movie that should not have been aired, but it was ! I guess too many persons pay lip-service kissing terroists instead of freedom for gays ? Is that irony ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

What do you think of that optom, seeing that the USA is becoming islamic in some ways unknown to many too ?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2008, 11:33:04 pm »

What was actually cut from the SNIT?  The whole thing?  :o  If so, that's fucking bullshit, and it's discriminatory.  Bravo should be sued.

Everything after this shot was cut out.  They never even kissed.

Offline optom3

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2008, 11:40:45 pm »
Everything after this shot was cut out.  They never even kissed.

My point exactly. Thankyou for posting that.It was a deliberate move IMO to make TS2 look like just more sex.
The whole wonder and freedom of their time on BBM is lost ,and with it most of the whole tragedy of the story.No great love, born from their time on BBM, therefore no great tragedy.
It can't have been the kiss that worried them, because they left a much more graphic kiss in,ie the reunion one.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2008, 11:51:29 pm »
Well said optom !

Why such sensor, against our democratic values ?

Who was that sensor ?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2008, 12:02:35 am »
This really bothers me.

All of the advertising I read for the broadcast was from GLAAD.

I'm not saying they had any knowledge of what would be edited, but it seems like they were taken advantage of.

Here's a quote from GLAAD:

Friday, June 27 is the television premiere of the 19th Annual GLAAD Media Awards on Bravo (7 PM ET/PT). This will be the first televised airing of the celebration on a fully distributed cable network. "Thanks to our partnership with Bravo, the GLAAD Media Awards will be available to over 84 million homes, giving people across the country a chance to celebrate these media images and their creators," says GLAAD President Neil G. Giuliano. "Our community has made such incredible strides toward equality because our stories have been told in fair, accurate and inclusive ways — from journalism to TV storylines to film. Bravo's acclaimed programming has already shown that TV can portray gay and transgender people fairly and accurately with amazing success." Following the GLAAD Media Awards, Bravo will televise the basic cable premiere of Brokeback Mountain (9 PM ET/PT).

That edit of the tent scene doesn't feel accurate or inclusive, and it sure as hell doesn't seem fair.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2008, 12:06:46 am »
So who was the censor BayCityJohn ?

Are we, free persons, going to be blind to that too ?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2008, 12:09:41 am »
I don't know who the censor was, but if I find out you'll be the first to hear about it.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2008, 12:11:36 am »
WE must find out ?

And who the owners are too ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2008, 12:13:22 am »
WWW II all over again, and most are blinded now again with Brokeback Mountain film being censored to-day ?

Where is the outcry ? ONLY optom and a few care ?

injest

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2008, 12:31:06 am »
This really bothers me.

All of the advertising I read for the broadcast was from GLAAD.

I'm not saying they had any knowledge of what would be edited, but it seems like they were taken advantage of.

Here's a quote from GLAAD:

That edit of the tent scene doesn't feel accurate or inclusive, and it sure as hell doesn't seem fair.

but see to the "gay community" Brokeback Mountain wasn't accepted. They mocked it, remember? Remember at the SAG awards how Sean Hayes sneered at it? so for them it is not included in their lists of 'great gay movies'. They are thinking of 'Capote' and such....

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2008, 12:33:43 am »

Yeah, I can't believe they left the scene with Lureen and Jack untouched while they cut the tent scenes!  Unbelievable.  I barely recognized my beloved Brokeback on Bravo last night!

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2008, 12:38:16 am »
I expected the first tent scene to be censored... but I was really surprised that the second tent scene was cut so much... it's such a beautiful, tender part of the film... it should have been shown in its entirety.

I would think that anyone viewing this censored version of the film would be very confused because this brief scene added so much to establishing Jack and Ennis' loving relationship... it's my favorite part of the whole movie!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2008, 12:41:11 am »
In many ways, the Brokeback Mountain movie is an anti-gay film, and, therefore, BRAVO with that censorship made it even more so, unfortunately !

At least, Annie is NOT censoring !

Offline optom3

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:26 am »
The Bravo farce is being discussed on Dave cullen as well. Most there seem to have same problem as me,cutting out most ofTS2 just changes the whole film.
Now if people who watched it on Bravo dont hire the DVd they will just come away thinking WTF a very average film.
There  was even more cut that I had forgotten about.No backdoor sex with Enns and Alma.A key element in realsing that Jack is still very deeply engrained onto Ennis's subconcious almost.
I am so mad I watched it now.
I feels as a guest in your country there is only so much I can say.But considerig it is the Brits who are meant to be the staid,stick in the mud types as opposed to the land of the free.It is odd that it was shown uncut in the U.K and completely butchered here.
Seems like it is only the land of the free, if you play by the right rules.Somewhat of a contradiction in terms!!!!
Oh I am going to sleep now. I am just too angry.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2008, 12:48:48 am »
Well said optom !

So whom is the censor and the owners ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2008, 12:50:51 am »
A man now is censored for having sex in USA and he does not even show his penis, wow - is that liberty ?

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2008, 12:51:20 am »
Surely, if the film had been broadcast on Logo it would not have been censored. What gets me is that I've seen much more graphic sex scenes on Nip/Tuck on FX, which is similar to Bravo... Nip/Tuck even had a very revealing man on man anal sex scene with lots of thrusting and grunts and butt shots and full on lighting... I was quite shocked when I saw it... but my shock soon turned to admiration for the balls the producers of Nip/Tuck have (and the FX executives, too).   ;)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2008, 12:54:41 am »
Right tforster !

So maybe if the BM movie would have had Ennis having four wives minimum same time, then it would nOT have been censored ?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2008, 12:55:28 am »
but see to the "gay community" Brokeback Mountain wasn't accepted. They mocked it, remember? Remember at the SAG awards how Sean Hayes sneered at it? so for them it is not included in their lists of 'great gay movies'. They are thinking of 'Capote' and such....

Yes I remember some of that by some of the gay community. But GLAAD was one of the biggest supporters of Brokeback back in them earlier days. And they still are.

http://www.glaad.org/eye/brokeback_mountain.php?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2008, 12:59:10 am »
Wishful thinking, is it that we, gay men and gay ladies and others think that the BM movie is pro-gay ?

Then ? To-day ? Tomorrow ?

It seems that BRAVO censored it's gay parts, like cutting its balls ?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2008, 01:05:26 am »
WWW II all over again, and most are blinded now again with Brokeback Mountain film being censored to-day ?

Where is the outcry ? ONLY optom and a few care ?

Artiste, nearly everyone here is outraged by it. Advise you go back and re-read the thread! :)

There's not much we can do about it. Except bitch. Which is what we're doing. You can also send Bravo a nasty email. I just did. It probably won't do any good, but it sure did feel good! LOL

Offline Artiste

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2008, 01:15:42 am »
Instead of bitching, I seek the truth, and that way, try to fix things !

Whom is the censor, might help as a valid question ?

And the owner(s) why did they or it forced this censorship... is also valid ?

This way, we get to the bottom or near it maybe of the thruth, and avoid such censhorship next times ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2008, 01:20:55 am »
And if that does NOT work, by fixing it, an example would be:

since I watch BRAVO regularly, I will assure you that I will boycott it now forever, if such BRAVO does not fix !

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2008, 01:24:32 am »
Well, maybe folks who did see the hack job version of BBM on Bravo, who might be interested in the film enough because of what they did see, will now go and rent/buy the DVD to see the movie in it's entirety.

Just tryin' to be positive here.  Perhaps it being broadcast on Bravo, even if edited, has at least helped it reach out to some more folks it normally wouldn't have...

:)

I still think they should be sued though....   >:(  :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2008, 01:32:15 am »
Wishful thinking ?

Maybe, we will be more persons reading Bettermost.net now? And even get bashed too by some new comers ?

Did BRAVO ever present gay movies ?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2008, 01:40:40 am »
Wishful thinking ?

Maybe, we will be more persons reading Bettermost.net now? And even get bashed too by some new comers ?

Did BRAVO ever present gay movies ?

HUH?? ??? ???

Wishful thinking? Who said ANYTHING about wishful thinking Artiste? I really don't know what we can do about it, except to send BRAVO our emails expressing our displeasure. That's about it really. Isn't it?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2008, 01:57:53 am »
I'm too pissed off at Bravo to send them an email tonight, but I did fire one off to GLAAD.

I've never been more disappointed than I was last night.

After reading GLAAD's press releases for the Bravo broadcast of Brokeback Mountain on June 27, I was looking forward to watching it. I knew they would probably edit most of the 4 letter words and the sex scene in the tent, but I was shocked at what they did to the other tent scene.

This pivitol scene is one of the most romantic and beautiful scenes in the history of film, and they chose to delete most of it. There was no sex, no nudity, no swearing in the scene. So I have to ask why?

Why would Bravo show a gay movie but feel the need to censor the "gay stuff'? It's one of the most important scenes in the film, and it's deletion changes the whole dynamic of the film.

Why was it ok to leave in the graphic violence when Ennis gives Jack a black eye, or when Jack get's his face bashed with the tire iron, but not ok to show the two men falling in love?

I realize that GLAAD probably had no prior knowledge of what was going to be edited, but I just thought you should know that there are a lot of fans of the movie who are very upset with what appears to be, if not a return to "the love that dare not speak it's name", then a return to "the love that dare not show it's face".

This is supposed to be "accurate and inclusive" ? It sure as hell doesn't feel that way, and it doesn't feel fair either.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2008, 01:59:18 am »
I'm too pissed off at Bravo to send them an email tonight, but I did fire one off to GLAAD.

Oh! That's a good idea. I'll send one to GLAAD too. I didn't do it, but I will now! :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2008, 02:02:25 am »
Way to go John!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2008, 02:07:08 am »
I reported the Bravo broadcast as an incident here:

http://www.glaad.org/action/report.php

be sure to select "television' as the media type.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2008, 02:07:27 am »
As I mentioned in my post 8 pages ago, all I watched of it was Jack and Lureen in the car through the reunion. I just read this whole thread, and a question occured to me. Why was it ok to show the entire reunion scene (kiss, nuzzle and all) but not the kiss in TS2? When I found it on TV and knew it was almost at the reunion, I really only kept watching out of curiosity for whether or not they would show the whole scene. They did, and I went to bed feeling pleased with Bravo. I didn't know about the butchering of TS2 till I came here. Why is one (long) kiss ok but another one isn't? I don't get it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2008, 02:24:23 am »
I reported the Bravo broadcast as an incident here:

http://www.glaad.org/action/report.php

be sure to select "television' as the media type.

Eww. I think I just did it wrong. I reported it here... http://www.glaad.org/action/report.php

I'll go do it again. It won't hurt anything if they read it twice. :D

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2008, 02:26:27 am »
That's the right link David.

I'm sure they'll get the message in any case.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2008, 02:27:03 am »
Wait, that's the same thing isn't it? Okay.

Thanks John!! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2008, 02:29:21 am »
That's the right link David.

I'm sure they'll get the message in any case.

We just posted at the same time John.

*shakes head*

I'm all confused. LOL

No, I didn't send it a second time. Yes, let's hope they got it! :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2008, 10:46:16 am »
And other ways to stop such censoring ? Can anyone think too ?

Offline optom3

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2008, 01:36:17 pm »
HUH?? ??? ???

Wishful thinking? Who said ANYTHING about wishful thinking Artiste? I really don't know what we can do about it, except to send BRAVO our emails expressing our displeasure. That's about it really. Isn't it?

Just done that. Managed to keep the Anglo Saxon to a minimum, which considering I am blazing about it, was not easy.
I told a friend about BBM and she said she had it on her list of things to watch.I was a bit mean and did not offer her my copy to see.I have since got a spare.She rang me this am to ask why I had made such a fuss about it !!!!
She is a good example of how distorted the Bravo version was. She told me she had caught it by chance the other night and after my rave review watched it. She did not get it all. Where was the love ????? As I suspected she thought the alley scene was Ennis disgusted with himself.Jack she just thought was just after sex.

I am posting this not because I am trying to say I was right, I would far rather have been wrong.The woman in question is  intelligent and thoughtful and has at times pointed out some painful truths to me.I respect and value her opinion, which is usually very insightful.TS2 being hacked to death matters.I think  the problem is that pretty well all of us here, are open minded and either gay or very sympathetic to the gay population and other persecuted sectors.Joe public is often not.So it was really important that BBM was shown uncut, so the true desperation and effect of prejudice, could be seen with all its tragic consequences.

It would be like showing Romeo and Juliet and leaving out the dispute between the Montagues and Capulets. Their desperate love would  a)not  have made any sense b) been tragic.

I could go on about all the other distorted perceptions she got.I will not, instead I drove round to her house with one of my copies of BBM and said watch it on a computer with headphones so you can really be intimate with it.
I promise I will post if the real version affects her differently.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2008, 02:09:53 pm »
Merci beaucoup optom !

Your were right, as you note now that a viewer seeing BM on BRAVO does not understand this film, at all !!

So you wonder, as I do, why BRAVO censored ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2008, 04:04:57 pm »
If you are outraged by the cuts in the Bravo airing of BM, then find out :

1) who were the advertisers sponsoring that airing of BM,

2) contact those sponsors and let them know that because of your "outrage" you will now refuse to buy any of products and will recommend that no one in your family, circle of friends, or your immediate community buy their products,

3) finally, contact Bravo and let them know of what you have done.

If for-profit networks feel pain in their pocketbook, they will alter their programing to minimize the pain.

good luck!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2008, 04:11:03 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

I am glad that you say like I did, and add too !!

Good ideas !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2008, 04:13:53 pm »
If for-profit networks feel pain in their pocketbook, they will alter their programing to minimize the pain.

That's a good strategy Brokeplex. As you say, for for-profit organisations the bottom line is the balance sheet and the almighty dollar, and if enough people hit 'em where it hurts, and their advertisers too, they'll sit up and take notice.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2008, 04:26:08 pm »
I'm delighted that you see the effectiveness of this simple strategy. It is in fact the same strategy used by the religious right to affect programming changes. Perhaps it was pressure from the organized religious right which caused the execs at Bravo to make these changes in the airing of BM?

Fight their fire with our own fire. Gay men, Lesbians, and their allies have per capita very deep pocketbooks. I was just looking at some stats related to the campaign and I was astonished at the estimated per capita dollar numbers for the gay / lesbian population. In absolute terms demographic numbers are smaller than the religious right, fewer of us,  but we are certainly capable of out organizing and at least matching them dollar for dollar.

Always remember that studio and production execs behave much like Ennis' and Jacks' sheep going up that mountain, if a blue herder dog gets behind them and barks, those sheep will move in the direction that the blue dog wants them to go. The bigger and the louder the dog, the faster those sheep will move. The louder and the more potent the economic threat to their exec perks at Bravo, the faster those same execs will change the programing.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2008, 04:52:54 pm »
But some blissful persons full of it as blinded, don't care if BRAVO cuts the film to piece in order to make it so gays can be harmed more and more ??

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2008, 05:08:01 pm »
In case you want to see it again, the Bravo version that is, I believe it will be broadcast again tomorrow (Monday 6/30) at 9am.  Central Time.  Check you local listings for when the hack job is showing in your area.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2008, 05:09:05 pm »
Artiste, I think that most people just aren't concerned enough to take any concrete steps. In my case, if the central theme of the film is intact then I am not too alarmed if theire was some cutting.  I don't like the cutting, it damages the integrity of the artistic process, but if the message of BM goes out, then I can live with it.

I am however concerned if was the religious right which used, and I am not sure that this actually happened, the threat of one of their organized sponsor boycotts to affect changes in the airing of the film. The religious right has a long term plan to silence gays and lesbians. We must fight that in all of its manifestations. If it was just some nervous studio execs that thought "Jack Frederick Twist" sounded better than Jack Fuckin' Twist" then I disapprove of their squeamishness, but feel it is something that can be addressed without getting all alarmed.

I would prefer that Bravo and other networks air the unexpurgated version of BM. And if a boycott of the sponsors puts pressure on Bravo so that these types of editorial decisions are never made again, the BOYCOTT AWAY!  

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »
In case you want to see it again, the Bravo version that is, I believe it will be broadcast again tomorrow (Monday 6/30) at 9am.  Central Time.  Check you local listings for when the hack job is showing in your area.

thanks for the heads up!  I'll look for it just to see how extensive the editiing is. I guess Dusty was right when he insisted that I should buy that full cable package, otherwise I wouldn't have Bravo.  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »
Thanks brokeplex !

If BRAVO does not play the Brokeback Mountain movie in its all parts, then be assured that I will call the cable co. and cancel Bravo!

I am already boycotting BRAVO by not seeing anymore its programmes; even though I used to see many, many of them daily !

Concerning if I am concerned or not if some parts are cut, I would NOT want any of my body parts cut-off on purpose by any agressor (be it a muslim, christian, jew, other religion or non-religious) person or animal !

Therefore, I demand that BRAVO play it in its entirety ! Why ?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2008, 07:42:15 pm »
I haven't seen it, and it sounds pretty egregious, but do we really know who did the editing?  Does the blame lay with Bravo?

Is it possible that Focus Features had edited a ready-for-American-TV version, complete with dubbing?  (Don't hit me!)

We know that Ang had to heavily edit Lust, Caution for viewing in China. 

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2008, 09:27:08 pm »
This reminds me of something that happend a few years ago, and it's one of the reasons that I sent that email to GLAAD last night.

GLAAD Expresses Concern over DVD Director's Cut of Oliver Stone's Alexander

LOS ANGELES, WEDNESDAY, MAY 25, 2005 - The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) today expressed concern over Oliver Stone's Special Edition Director's Cut of Alexander, due out on DVD August 2. Warner Home Video will separately release the original theatrical version on the same day.

The new version is shorter by an estimated eight minutes, and Stone told Entertainment Weekly that he removed some references to Alexander the Great's bisexuality to make the film "more accessible" to viewers.

"For someone known as a fearless, uncompromising filmmaker, Stone has really compromised his own artistic integrity," says GLAAD Entertainment Media Director Damon Romine. "This is not a special edition director's cut, it's an abridgment designed to pander to the lowest common denominator."

According to Entertainment Weekly, the shorter version will not entirely eliminate all references to Alexander's romance with Hephaistion (played by Jared Leto), but Stone says, "We just don't dwell on the relationship as much."

http://www.glaad.org/publications/archive_detail.php?id=3814

Offline optom3

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:58 am »
I have just found an interview with Ang where he says   "for example, neither the story nor the first script had a second lovemaking scene,which I thought was necessary in order to understand why they kept wanting to go back for the next 20 years.The first time they are in the tent, it's almost like a mishap. But then they have to consciously commit to it, and that should be tender and sexy"
So the director is quite plain about the importance of TS2. The very bit that Bravo just axed almost completely.
It seems unlikely that Ang would make a 2nd version minus 95% of TS2, as he attaches such importance to it.
I think in the SS a specific second night was not necessary, the language is so raw and pasionate, and the use of phrases like,little darlin,the prologue and the epilogue,the shouldn't have let you out a my sights, leave us in no doubt of the love.

It is not so simple in a move where the words I love you are never mentioned.
We the viewer as Ang so rightly says, need to be given an indication why they continue to meet for the next 20 years.We have to believe in their love,or else the whole thing simply does not work It is a sex thing as opposed to a heart and gut wrenching, tragic love story.It is also why it resonated so deeply with so many of us from all walks of life.
So in my opinion Bravo/censors could not have left out a more crucial/pivotal scene.Not only that,what was the reason behind it, it was hardly offensive,or if it was then  so were the reunion kiss and motel scene, both of which were left in.

It simply does not add up.I can only conclude that there was some hidden agenda.At its most simplistic level, It seems likely an attempt to indicate that same sex love does not exist, only same sex lust.That is demeaning and also panders to those whose very views might otherwise be changed, or at least cause some questioning.
 I truly believe that Bravo caused more harm than good by showing the mutilated version of BBM that they did.It served only to set further in concrete the views of the small minded who mouth off saying, told you, it's just sex.I hear enough of that sort of talk here, from all those who cannot or will not see the irony,of the hatred they spew forth and then pack the church to the rafters every Sunday.
I give up, even financially it makes no sense.In England and forgive me as this is not my phrase, the so called "pink pound" is the largest market these days. I am truly sorry about the horrible phrase. But it indicates how stupid was Bravo's decision.They have even ignored plain economics.Personally I will vote with my channel change,simple,I will turn off.Laughing as I consider how much money they have stupidly just tossed down the drain.Sucks for them.
The reason for the large disposable income of substantial numbers of gay men and women, is they do not usually have very expensive kids.They tend to be very well educated and without the burden of children, tend to have larger than average disposable income.
It is in England, a very large and very well recognised market, but then England showed BBM uncut.In these days of very hard economic times, how foolish to alienate a sector of the market, who may prove to be a valuable source of income.
I am sorry to be rude about a country I am a guest in, but somethings no matter how difficult just have to be said.If immigration are reading this, don't suppose I will be getting a green card any time soon!!!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2008, 07:18:07 am »
I did not watch it on Bravo, I try not to watch TV as much as I can get by with.

The discussion of how Bravo butchered the movie caused me to have a strange dream last night in which Jack and Ennis were living in Canada, 50 years from now, working in a salt mine. Jack was managing a ware house and Ennis was driving the bags of salt eastward on some kind of bullit train that travelled at extraordinary speed, except in historically sensitive areas. Amazing what random details can survive waking, like the way they were looking at one another out of the corner of their eyes.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:02 am »
I did not watch it on Bravo, I try not to watch TV as much as I can get by with.

The discussion of how Bravo butchered the movie caused me to have a strange dream last night in which Jack and Ennis were living in Canada, 50 years from now, working in a salt mine. Jack was managing a ware house and Ennis was driving the bags of salt eastward on some kind of bullit train that travelled at extraordinary speed, except in historically sensitive areas. Amazing what random details can survive waking, like the way they were looking at one another out of the corner of their eyes.

Amazing the detail your dreams have! Mine are never so inventive or detailed...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2008, 09:45:36 am »

Ja, ja, all of zat zymbolism ! but remember that sometimes a bullet train is just a bullet train!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2008, 09:52:28 am »
How can BRAVO NOT be blamed, since they aired it ?

Are religious group(s) now controllling BRAVO ?

What is the REAL reason for such cutting, when no penis was shown in the original film ?

It seems to me that I have seen many film with more sex and obvious female as well as male genetilia clearly showed on BRAVO, in the past !!

So why cutting BM now ? ARE they anti-gay ?

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2008, 04:01:54 pm »
I watched part of the movie on Bravo, but they really did cut it up pretty bad.  I hate that they cut out most of TN2, and that wonderful, romantic, passionate kiss between Jack & Ennis, but yet a few scenes later they show Ennis & Alma in bed kissing each other passionately.  I thought it was ridiculous to show that kiss, but not show the kiss between J&E.  Shortly after the E&A kiss is when I turned it off.   

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »
Has everyone sent an email to Bravo to complain?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2008, 04:08:01 pm »
cutting out TS2 entirely would be an act of war as far as I am concerned! So, I guess it depends upon how much of TS2 is cut out, if the cutters manage to remove all of the shows of affection and gentle loving, then clearly that is aimed at cheapening the interactions betwee the boys down to the level of quick sex. How about TS1? did they show the entire sex act?  

mvansand76

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2008, 04:25:43 pm »
Has everyone sent an email to Bravo to complain?

Please tell me where to send it...

mvansand76

« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2008, 04:31:56 pm »
Here's a cap from FNIT

Oh wow. Never seen this one. This makes you wonder if there really is a different version of the movie, especially made for these types of broadcasters, which doesn't make sense, I never think that Ang Lee would do such a thing!  :-\

I reported the incident at GLAAD just now...

mvansand76

« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2008, 04:34:32 pm »

*FACE PALM*

Offline optom3

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »
cutting out TS2 entirely would be an act of war as far as I am concerned! So, I guess it depends upon how much of TS2 is cut out, if the cutters manage to remove all of the shows of affection and gentle loving, then clearly that is aimed at cheapening the interactions betwee the boys down to the level of quick sex. How about TS1? did they show the entire sex act?  

My point exactly.They pretty well removed all ofTS2 thus making it appear like TS1, even doing the same cut to the outside of the tent.So we are left to assume it was 2 incidents of sex, rather than the start of a tragic love which would endure for 2 decades.
I included in one of my posts what Ang. said about how important TS2 was to add credibility.Yet Bravo or whoever removed 90% at least of it.
So TS1 and 2  become for the 1st time viewer, 2 acts sof sex. even shown in much the same way, quick shot of the boys then cut to outside view of the tent.I was speechless when I saw it.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2008, 06:47:38 pm »
Does that BRAVO movie cuts increase maybe some viewers taste to want to harm gays ?

Offline optom3

« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2008, 08:50:21 pm »
Does that BRAVO movie cuts increase maybe some viewers taste to want to harm gays ?

No, it just puts an entirely different slant on the movie.The sex aspect seems to be pushed more than the love aspect.Without seeing the real tenderness of TS2 it is hard to see why these men would carry on an affair for 20 years.I van totally see why Ang thought it essential to the film and for the viewers real grasp of wat was developing and what held them together for so long.
It certainly does not do any harm, but it doesn't do any good either.
One thing I loved about BBM was that it was a love story,it was as tragic and epic, almost in the same vein as Dr. ZHivago.The difference was only in the different types of forbidden love.
Personally for me BBM was way superior but I can see parallels.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:22 pm »
My point exactly.They pretty well removed all ofTS2 thus making it appear like TS1, even doing the same cut to the outside of the tent.So we are left to assume it was 2 incidents of sex, rather than the start of a tragic love which would endure for 2 decades.
I included in one of my posts what Ang. said about how important TS2 was to add credibility.Yet Bravo or whoever removed 90% at least of it.
So TS1 and 2  become for the 1st time viewer, 2 acts sof sex. even shown in much the same way, quick shot of the boys then cut to outside view of the tent.I was speechless when I saw it.

I am very sad to hear this. Clearly a sponsor boycott with teeth needs to go forward.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2008, 09:44:05 pm »
Who were the sponsors ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2008, 09:51:21 pm »
I can't accuse Bravo of any definite motivation but their for profit desire to sell their advertisers. However, a possible motivation in cutting the love scenes to the point that only the sexual activity is left is this: a desire to cast same sex love entirely within the context of sexual gratification and the elimination of any romantic aspects of their relationship. Why? To influence the debate over same sex marriage among the voters in CA leading up to the November ballot.

Some of the long term goals of the religious right are to de-legitimize same sex love and forestall same sex marriage. If the appearance can be created that same sex love is just about sex and only about sexual gratification, then the religious right can make the argument that marriage is inappropriate between two members of the same sex.

This is why this "editing" is important, and why it is esp important that it came about only 3 months before the CA voters go to the polls.

If it had just been changing Jack Fuckin' Twist to Jack Frederick Twist, this would be funny, but the almost entire elimination of TS2 points to a possible agenda, and I might add possibly a hate-filled agenda.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2008, 09:53:09 pm »
Who were the sponsors ?

that is what we need to find out, FCC rules provide that a list of local sponsors and national sponsors of broadcast or cable programs are a matter of pubic information.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2008, 10:29:12 pm »
Wow, what a thread!!

Last time I poked my head on this thread was on Sunday while the movie was showing, there were like, two comments and I thought, Oh well, guess no one's watching.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2008, 10:46:35 pm »
Inquisitive minds, want to know, for freedom !!

Offline optom3

« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:43 pm »
I can't accuse Bravo of any definite motivation but their for profit desire to sell their advertisers. However, a possible motivation in cutting the love scenes to the point that only the sexual activity is left is this: a desire to cast same sex love entirely within the context of sexual gratification and the elimination of any romantic aspects of their relationship. Why? To influence the debate over same sex marriage among the voters in CA leading up to the November ballot.

Some of the long term goals of the religious right are to de-legitimize same sex love and forestall same sex marriage. If the appearance can be created that same sex love is just about sex and only about sexual gratification, then the religious right can make the argument that marriage is inappropriate between two members of the same sex.

This is why this "editing" is important, and why it is esp important that it came about only 3 months before the CA voters go to the polls.

If it had just been changing Jack Fuckin' Twist to Jack Frederick Twist, this would be funny, but the almost entire elimination of TS2 points to a possible agenda, and I might add possibly a hate-filled agenda.

That is exactly what it apeared like.The romance and love were reduced to sex.That was what got me so hopping mad. It seemed that the agenda was to present gay relationships as purely sex and not bona fide love relationships.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2008, 10:28:39 am »
I do NOT celebrate CANADA DAY anymore, because too many foreign religions and non-religious living now in Canada do not respect at all the canadian cultures, laws and others histories !

Most canadian-borns accepted gay men, but is that to change because of foreign influences in it now ? It seems so !

Maybe that is why BRAVO cut the BM film, because it wants no gay men anymore ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2008, 10:37:09 am »
I'm not sure that we will ever know exactly why the decision was made to cut the film in the manner that happened. If the network needed to cut for time constraints, there are many areas of the film that could be cut without compromising the essential message of the film, rather than TS2. In fact there are only a few other scenes as important as TS2 in leading the viewer to understand the relationship that developed between the boys. 

I don't watch much TV in my old age, just films on DVD. So, I won't miss much by avoiding Bravo.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2008, 10:40:01 am »
NBC/Universal, at:

Bravo Viewer Relations
3000 W. Alameda Ave., Suite 250
Burbank, CA 91523

from what I can tell, Bravo is owned by NBC/Universal in CA. I am not sure if Bravo is a Canadian company as was suggested earlier.

http://www.bravotv.com/Contact_Us/index.shtml

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2008, 10:42:30 am »
THIS IS NBC UNIVERSAL

NBC Universal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80% owned by General Electric and 20% owned by Vivendi.

here is a breakdown of the ownership of the parent company of Bravo.

http://www.nbcuni.com/About_NBC_Universal/Company_Overview/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:21 am »
That could be so, but it may be also a cover up ?

There is this famous  italian born who so-called himself canadian now in prison in Montreal, and from there he controls over a billion $ worth of in illegal activities, do you know ?  So, it could be a similar situation with BRAVO, maybe ?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2008, 10:51:21 am »
Very good points, brokeplex. Seems very plausible to me.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »
I never got a reply from GLAAD, but they did publish my letter on their website.

It's not easy to find, so here's the link:

http://glaadorg.nexcess.net/cinequeer/2008/06/30-days-of-pride-whats-on-tv-t-12.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:41 pm »
yay, this helps me feel a little better!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »
I am glad that you did that BayCityJohn !

Thanks very much !!

Offline optom3

« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2008, 01:40:25 am »
I never got a reply from GLAAD, but they did publish my letter on their website.

It's not easy to find, so here's the link:

http://glaadorg.nexcess.net/cinequeer/2008/06/30-days-of-pride-whats-on-tv-t-12.html

Way to go.I will inform you  if my letter appears in the NY post. I doubt it, but as it was there, where the SS originally aired, I thought it was worth a go.In any case it made me feel  whole lot better.It did take about 5 attempts before I could rein in the vitriol sufficiently, to stand even the remotest chance of publication.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2008, 12:20:16 pm »
YES!!
Bravo Responds

We didn't catch the televised version ourselves but when readers tipped us off to the brouhaha, we contacted Bravo to find out what the deal was.

Here's their response: 

"This was an unfortunate mistake. While editing the film for cable broadcast, the kissing scene in question was removed. The scene will appear in all future airings of Brokeback Mountain on Bravo, as it should have been included in its cable premiere." 

We can approach this from a few different angles, but I for one am inclined to take their response at face value. Honestly, for them to deliberately remove a kiss (when others were left intact) for the purpose of undermining the gay romance of one of the most universally embraced gay-themed films in history and then to promote the network premiere in association with a gay media event would be suicide. 

We'll know for sure if the net is on the level the next time Brokeback airs. 

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/brianjuergens/in-tents-bravo-responds-brouhaha--brokeback-mountain-edit?&comment=46070

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2008, 12:40:22 pm »
John, awesome and excellent.  And it's exciting that it is generating further discussion around the net.  And Jess, it looks like your comment got posted too, hunh?  Congratulations and big thank you to both of you!!!

Offline optom3

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2008, 12:58:59 pm »
John what an amazing result.I am so glad I started the thread.I was getting a bit worried the way some of the posts were going.
I am so excited I wonder now if my letter will be printed. No matter such a blatant admitting of an error is incredible from Bravo. Stands back and salutes.!!!!!!

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:30 pm »
At least they had the courtesy to respond!  That's great.  Now we'll just have sit back and wait and watch. . . .

Offline Artiste

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2008, 02:44:30 pm »
But BRAVO will place back ONLY the kissing scene ?

Offline optom3

« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2008, 03:40:45 pm »
But BRAVO will place back ONLY the kissing scene ?

That's all they need to put back ,so at least the movie becomes the true tragic love story it is meant to be and not just random sex. They completely altered the whole perception by leaving out that scene.
O.K it would be great if they restored all f TS1, but this is America not europe.So I think that was never going to happen.They block out womens breasts in cosmetic surgery procedures.
I would be happy with the TS2 being shown i its entirety and so allow te whole tragedy to properly unfold

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2008, 04:17:55 pm »
Brokeback on Bravo:

Lureen:  You don't think I'm too fast, do you?  Maybe we should put the brakes on?

Jack:  Well, maybe we should.

Lureen:  Yeah, I think we should too.  Anyway, I gotta have the car home by midnight.  Wanna meet my parents?

[There are more of these on the PhotoCaptions thread.  Feel free to join in!]

injest

« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2008, 08:01:49 pm »
Brokeback on Bravo:

Lureen:  You don't think I'm too fast, do you?  Maybe we should put the brakes on?

Jack:  Well, maybe we should.

Lureen:  Yeah, I think we should too.  Anyway, I gotta have the car home by midnight.  Wanna meet my parents?

[There are more of these on the PhotoCaptions thread.  Feel free to join in!]

ROTLMAO!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2008, 09:10:08 am »
Why give in to BRAVO !

Urging them, BRAVO, to place ALL parts back in , wouldn't that better ?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2008, 10:12:44 am »
I may be wrong here but ...

I believe Bravo's a canadian station - (thus the pro-gay reputation[?]) a part of the CITY-TV family of stations.

Bravo is part of the NBC Universal family in the USA.  Often, however, country-specific versions of the network are developed for distribution abroad.  These often are partnerships with other entities.  In Canada, Bravo partners with CTV-Globemedia.  In the UK, they are associated with Virgin and the entire focus of the network there is on male viewers (they even have a completely different logo).

No basic cable networks HAVE to censor - the FCC does not regulate content of basic cable networks.  However the cable industry maintains voluntary compliance with the rules that govern over the air broadcast television, with a bit looser conduct when it comes to profanity.  Different networks have different standards.

Bravo, which has more gay-themed programming than any other non-gay oriented cable network, opened themselves up for this backlash by someone's overeager cutting and dubbing.  Most people actually prefer you just go silent during expletives instead of the clumsy dubbing work (Scarface's dubbed for television version was the funniest thing I'd ever seen).  Bad dubbing is always distracting.  My guess is a Hollywood based distributor was actually responsible for the hack job.  They usually are the ones to market a "broadcast ready" version of a movie, and the network just runs what they get.  But an exclusive cable run does give extra power to Bravo to request changes to the cutting and pasting the distributor does, which is why they are claiming they'll do better next time.  Chances are, Bravo will rerun the movie many times before their contractual window ends.  After that, Brokeback Mountain will become available to broadcast television, and THAT will be real interesting when a network decides to run it for the first time, probably during one of those summer "Movie of the Week" events.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2008, 09:39:46 pm »
I still think that we should all demand that BRAVO show the entire Brokeback Mountain movie, for many reasons !

Offline matwist

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2008, 02:45:27 am »
OK...

Milo

Milo, think about if you had never seen this film in its entirety before, would the deleted scenes and language being removed make a difference.  It is a totally different movie that makes absolutely no sense and does not teach anything.  Bravo has already stated that they are sorry for deleting TS2, but even putting that scene back in doesn't raise the intensity to where it needs to be.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2008, 03:29:01 am »
I couldn't help but notice yesterday, BRAVO aired several episodes of "Kathy Griffin - My Life on the D List". Now you must understand I love Kathy. But if any of you follow Kathy you'll know she swears like a drunken sailor. These episodes were full of words such as "ass", "bitch", "whore", "ho" and "God damn". And this was at 2:00 in the afternoon! They even showed a few of the cast members wearing false breasts, with the nipples fully visable. Why did BRAVO delete an innocent kiss scene between Jack and Ennis, and yet air border line cuss words and graphic "tits" video at a time when children can easily tune in and watch?  :-\ :-\

Alrighty then.  >:( >:(

Offline Artiste

« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2008, 11:04:50 am »
I agree with matwist and merci !!

A child learns about sex and love, in different ways and times, no matter what is aired at any time !

My newphew's 4 year boy sees two flies going at it, often !

In the Brokeback Mountain movie, Ennis does not show his penis entering; so no harm done !

And showing that Ennis and Jack kiss tenderly, is no harm to any person no matter what age !! The crime is to cut that humanity !

Therefore, I demand that BRAVO shows all the Brokeback Mountain movie !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2008, 01:46:59 pm »
If BRAVO still considers itself for freedom, then it must play Brokeback Mountain in all its parts !!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2008, 01:54:57 pm »
The head of the Soviet Union kissed his astronaut with a heavy long kiss on the lips, and that that was nearly a French kiss, do you remember ?

That was in front of cameras which made World news in all countries, then.

And no one in the whole world complained !

So, why did BRAVO cut the tender kiss beteen two men in the Brokeback Mountain  movie ?

As were still free in the USA ? Is there still freedom in the United States ?

Offline Nevermore

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2008, 03:20:47 am »
Bravo is part of the NBC Universal family in the USA.  Often, however, country-specific versions of the network are developed for distribution abroad.  These often are partnerships with other entities.  In Canada, Bravo partners with CTV-Globemedia.  In the UK, they are associated with Virgin and the entire focus of the network there is on male viewers (they even have a completely different logo).

No basic cable networks HAVE to censor - the FCC does not regulate content of basic cable networks.  However the cable industry maintains voluntary compliance with the rules that govern over the air broadcast television, with a bit looser conduct when it comes to profanity.  Different networks have different standards.

Bravo, which has more gay-themed programming than any other non-gay oriented cable network, opened themselves up for this backlash by someone's overeager cutting and dubbing.  Most people actually prefer you just go silent during expletives instead of the clumsy dubbing work (Scarface's dubbed for television version was the funniest thing I'd ever seen).  Bad dubbing is always distracting.  My guess is a Hollywood based distributor was actually responsible for the hack job.  They usually are the ones to market a "broadcast ready" version of a movie, and the network just runs what they get.  But an exclusive cable run does give extra power to Bravo to request changes to the cutting and pasting the distributor does, which is why they are claiming they'll do better next time.  Chances are, Bravo will rerun the movie many times before their contractual window ends.  After that, Brokeback Mountain will become available to broadcast television, and THAT will be real interesting when a network decides to run it for the first time, probably during one of those summer "Movie of the Week" events.

The broadcast-ready version of Thelma and Louise was pretty hilarious too--I turned the TV off after Susan Sarandon shoots a would-be rapist for telling her to...."clean my clock? ? ? ? ?"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2008, 09:03:05 am »
Any news ?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:34 pm »
Guess what's playing on Bravo this weekend.  Will they keep their promise?

Brokeback Mountain

BRAVO Sat 7/19 8:00 PM

BRAVO Sat 7/19 11:00 PM

BRAVO Sun 7/20 8:30 AM

BRAVO Mon 7/28 8:00 AM

BRAVO Tue 7/29 1:00 AM

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?aid=twop&stnNum=10057&channel=15&channelCnt=15

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »

Guess what's playing on Bravo this weekend.  Will they keep their promise?

What was the promise?  Was there a resolution?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2008, 08:03:01 pm »
I do not see it listed on BRAVO !

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2008, 02:29:36 am »
Bravo kept their word.  The SNIT/TS2 was shown intact tonight.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2008, 03:00:35 am »

I think it's so cool that people expressed themselves, and that Bravo listened and responded.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2008, 01:46:51 am »

I don't have cable so I can't see it.  Do you guys feel that with the scene put back in, that it was pretty complete and understandable, with a good emotional impact?  Or was it still a bit chopped-up and compromised?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2008, 03:20:36 am »
Hey Fiona, Would it be fair to update the title of the thread now?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:37 am »
I don't have cable so I can't see it.  Do you guys feel that with the scene put back in, that it was pretty complete and understandable, with a good emotional impact?  Or was it still a bit chopped-up and compromised?

Laura, the "second night in tent" scene (the most important imo) was fully complete and understandable. Bravo lived up to their word and fixed it. :)

pnwDUDE

« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2008, 04:17:46 am »
I didn't see it on Bravo (no point when I have the DVD), but in Bravo's edited version in FNIT, did they at least show Ennis waking up with a hangover (he either had a real hangover, or Heath did his magic), looking over at Jack, then pulling his pants up? If they showed that part and the entire SNIT scene as you guys described, then I think that would be acceptable.

Brad

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2008, 05:00:24 pm »
The only reason I pained my way through the Bravo airing was to help add one more household to the rating numbers for the film; thought it would be good to help show the continuing popularity of the film.

Offline optom3

« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2008, 06:19:02 pm »

Yes I think it would. I just do not know how to. maybe BBM we complained Bravo listened and responded,or something similar.Anyone who knows how to change it, please feel free to do so.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2008, 06:32:31 pm »
Yes I think it would. I just do not know how to. maybe BBM we complained Bravo listened and responded,or something similar.Anyone who knows how to change it, please feel free to do so.

Fiona, since you started the thread, you can change it.  Just "modify" the title on your first post.

Offline optom3

« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2008, 12:33:16 am »

Yes, I think they played fair and so should I, so it's done.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2008, 04:01:48 am »
I am really impressed that they fixed it.  It sure seems it's because of the Brokies who spoke up.  :)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2008, 08:27:35 am »
I saw the repeat on Bravo an I got to share the movie with a freind who called me.   It was the first time I shared watching BBM with someone else.  It was so cool.  And yes they kept the snit in tact and they also showed Ennis pulling up his pants the morning after the FNIT.  YAY

Offline optom3

« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26:55 pm »
I am really impressed that they fixed it.  It sure seems it's because of the Brokies who spoke up.  :)

Do you think we should try for world peace next ???? !!!!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2008, 03:51:03 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the laugh Fiona :-*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »
Laura, the "second night in tent" scene (the most important imo) was fully complete and understandable. Bravo lived up to their word and fixed it. :)

This is just such great news!  Good job to any and all Brokies who wrote in to Bravo to help fix the GDBOUS regarding the censored version.

One of the things I find truly fascinating about this whole Bravo scandal, is that we've all come to realize truly how significant TS2 is to the whole feeling of the film.  And, furthermore, we see how much of an impact editing choices in the construction of a film are!  Still, it's amazing to realize that TS2 isn't in Proulx's story.

I for one think TS2 is crucial to the film and establishing the emotional connection betwen J & E... the kind of love that's bound up with a physical connection.  Without it, the sense of the character of their relationship truly would be very different.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2008, 09:34:21 pm »
This is just such great news!  Good job to any and all Brokies who wrote in to Bravo to help fix the GDBOUS regarding the censored version.

One of the things I find truly fascinating about this whole Bravo scandal, is that we've all come to realize truly how significant TS2 is to the whole feeling of the film.  And, furthermore, we see how much of an impact editing choices in the construction of a film are!  Still, it's amazing to realize that TS2 isn't in Proulx's story.

I for one think TS2 is crucial to the film and establishing the emotional connection betwen J & E... the kind of love that's bound up with a physical connection.  Without it, the sense of the character of their relationship truly would be very different.

It opened my eyes to a lot of things.
If I sometimes sneak in the odd guilty pleasure of a reality show, I used to sit there  and think, yeah right, when some nobody said, I'm not that bad they just edited to make me seem so.
Having seen how the whole context of a film can change by cutting just one part of one scene, I will be less judgemental in future. In the s.s we know from Proulxs' descriptons that the 2 are falling in love.The film needed the second tender night in the tent to point us in the right direction.
I learned long ago not to trust newspapers. I was interviewed by a local paper when I relocated and expanded my practice, and I swear not one word that was printed ever came out of my mouth.
Fortunately, it was all fairly positive, but it was however a complete fabrication.
The other thing to emerge from this fiasco is, maybe as a group we have more power than we realise. It sometimes to me at least, feels like one small voice in the wilderness, but maybe I underestimate, the power of a group of people with one commn goal.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2008, 03:44:13 am »

You bet!

:)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2009, 12:57:53 pm »
Interesting thread! (thanks for directing me, Chrissie)

I can't  believe they actually had Jack say "high altitude flings". That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

The "new" angle of Jack and Ennis during FNIT was interesting however. I'm completely addicted to "new" footage.

I don't care for censorship in general, and especially not in this movie. It's so very beautiful and to censor those specific scenes goes against the contense and message of the movie itself. Very sad.