Author Topic: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!  (Read 67402 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Bravo's version of BBM censored beyond belief, a joke
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2008, 09:39:46 pm »
I still think that we should all demand that BRAVO show the entire Brokeback Mountain movie, for many reasons !

Offline matwist

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2008, 02:45:27 am »
OK...

The problem that I see being discussed here is that audiences in the US are uncomfortable with on-screen depictions of man2man sex. That's a fact that we all knew before BBM was edited for TV. 

The version of BBM shown on Bravo removed the visual moments of Jack & Ennis having sex, and the profanity. Does the removal of the sex scenes mean that a first-time viewer does not understand that these two men were in love with each other?? There are other moments in the film that show the love between these two men. Does the lack of profanity change anything fundamental about who these men were? I would have to say "no" in both cases. Yes, the TV version might be missing some original details, but the story and the lessons it has to teach are still firmly intact.

Milo

Milo, think about if you had never seen this film in its entirety before, would the deleted scenes and language being removed make a difference.  It is a totally different movie that makes absolutely no sense and does not teach anything.  Bravo has already stated that they are sorry for deleting TS2, but even putting that scene back in doesn't raise the intensity to where it needs to be.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2008, 03:29:01 am »
I couldn't help but notice yesterday, BRAVO aired several episodes of "Kathy Griffin - My Life on the D List". Now you must understand I love Kathy. But if any of you follow Kathy you'll know she swears like a drunken sailor. These episodes were full of words such as "ass", "bitch", "whore", "ho" and "God damn". And this was at 2:00 in the afternoon! They even showed a few of the cast members wearing false breasts, with the nipples fully visable. Why did BRAVO delete an innocent kiss scene between Jack and Ennis, and yet air border line cuss words and graphic "tits" video at a time when children can easily tune in and watch?  :-\ :-\

Alrighty then.  >:( >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2008, 11:04:50 am »
I agree with matwist and merci !!

A child learns about sex and love, in different ways and times, no matter what is aired at any time !

My newphew's 4 year boy sees two flies going at it, often !

In the Brokeback Mountain movie, Ennis does not show his penis entering; so no harm done !

And showing that Ennis and Jack kiss tenderly, is no harm to any person no matter what age !! The crime is to cut that humanity !

Therefore, I demand that BRAVO shows all the Brokeback Mountain movie !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2008, 01:46:59 pm »
If BRAVO still considers itself for freedom, then it must play Brokeback Mountain in all its parts !!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2008, 01:54:57 pm »
The head of the Soviet Union kissed his astronaut with a heavy long kiss on the lips, and that that was nearly a French kiss, do you remember ?

That was in front of cameras which made World news in all countries, then.

And no one in the whole world complained !

So, why did BRAVO cut the tender kiss beteen two men in the Brokeback Mountain  movie ?

As were still free in the USA ? Is there still freedom in the United States ?

Offline Nevermore

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2008, 03:20:47 am »
Bravo is part of the NBC Universal family in the USA.  Often, however, country-specific versions of the network are developed for distribution abroad.  These often are partnerships with other entities.  In Canada, Bravo partners with CTV-Globemedia.  In the UK, they are associated with Virgin and the entire focus of the network there is on male viewers (they even have a completely different logo).

No basic cable networks HAVE to censor - the FCC does not regulate content of basic cable networks.  However the cable industry maintains voluntary compliance with the rules that govern over the air broadcast television, with a bit looser conduct when it comes to profanity.  Different networks have different standards.

Bravo, which has more gay-themed programming than any other non-gay oriented cable network, opened themselves up for this backlash by someone's overeager cutting and dubbing.  Most people actually prefer you just go silent during expletives instead of the clumsy dubbing work (Scarface's dubbed for television version was the funniest thing I'd ever seen).  Bad dubbing is always distracting.  My guess is a Hollywood based distributor was actually responsible for the hack job.  They usually are the ones to market a "broadcast ready" version of a movie, and the network just runs what they get.  But an exclusive cable run does give extra power to Bravo to request changes to the cutting and pasting the distributor does, which is why they are claiming they'll do better next time.  Chances are, Bravo will rerun the movie many times before their contractual window ends.  After that, Brokeback Mountain will become available to broadcast television, and THAT will be real interesting when a network decides to run it for the first time, probably during one of those summer "Movie of the Week" events.

The broadcast-ready version of Thelma and Louise was pretty hilarious too--I turned the TV off after Susan Sarandon shoots a would-be rapist for telling her to...."clean my clock? ? ? ? ?"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2008, 09:03:05 am »
Any news ?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:34 pm »
Guess what's playing on Bravo this weekend.  Will they keep their promise?

Brokeback Mountain

BRAVO Sat 7/19 8:00 PM

BRAVO Sat 7/19 11:00 PM

BRAVO Sun 7/20 8:30 AM

BRAVO Mon 7/28 8:00 AM

BRAVO Tue 7/29 1:00 AM

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?aid=twop&stnNum=10057&channel=15&channelCnt=15

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »

Guess what's playing on Bravo this weekend.  Will they keep their promise?

What was the promise?  Was there a resolution?