Author Topic: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!  (Read 67631 times)

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Re: Bravo's version of BBM censored beyond belief, a joke
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 05:14:05 pm »
 :(

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 06:10:59 pm »
Here's a cap from FNIT

I don't remember ever seeing this shot before. Or is it my imagination?

injest

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2008, 06:41:25 pm »
OK...

The problem that I see being discussed here is that audiences in the US are uncomfortable with on-screen depictions of man2man sex. That's a fact that we all knew before BBM was edited for TV. 

The version of BBM shown on Bravo removed the visual moments of Jack & Ennis having sex, and the profanity. Does the removal of the sex scenes mean that a first-time viewer does not understand that these two men were in love with each other?? There are other moments in the film that show the love between these two men. Does the lack of profanity change anything fundamental about who these men were? I would have to say "no" in both cases. Yes, the TV version might be missing some original details, but the story and the lessons it has to teach are still firmly intact.

Milo

I have to disagree. I remember distinctly the WHOA!! WHAT THE HECK!? Where did that come from?......of the first night.

and the 'oh....oh my god...this is not what I thought it was' of the second night...

then going back and being FORCED to think...where did this come from? what did I miss?

those scenes are pivotal to understanding Ennis for sure. They are the only ones where we SEE Ennis opening up...we see that there is where he let himself breath...it sets off the entire rest of the movie where he tightens up more and more til the end when he collapses.

and as bad as it sounds, I think this slaughter job was planned. the mention of the GLAAD awards confirmed it for me. I may be one of the FEW that remember the vitriol poured on BBM by the 'gay community' in Hollywood. The nightly mocking and paradying from gay actors. I think it is an effort to discredit the movie.

my opinion.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 06:42:40 pm »
Gosh, I don't remember seeing that either. Interesting BC John! Thanks for posting that!

I'm glad I didn't watch this, I would have found it upsetting.

As you all know, I am dead set against censorship.

The tent scenes are absolutely essential to the story and should not have been tampered with. Ang Lee shot them with the utmost discretion and they are so dark anyway that if they were shown at the proper time of evening when small children are asleep, they should not have offended anyone.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 06:43:21 pm »
Here's a cap from FNIT

I don't remember ever seeing this shot before. Or is it my imagination?

no....it looks like Ennis is choking Jack!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 06:46:41 pm »
I was expecting FNIT to be edited, but what they did to SNIT was just wrong.

It's one of the most beautiful, romantic scenes in the history of film.

It was ok to show Jack getting his face bashed in by the tire iron, but America can't handle a little affection??

It was a bullshit edit.

injest

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 06:52:52 pm »
I was expecting FNIT to be edited, but what they did to SNIT was just wrong.

It's one of the most beautiful, romantic scenes in the history of film.

It was ok to show Jack getting his face bashed in by the tire iron, but America can't handle a little affection??

It was a bullshit edit.

exactly....if Jack kissing Lureen with her boobs all out on display wasnt'  cut then Jack kissing a FULLY CLOTHED Ennis shouldn't have been..

injest

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 06:54:09 pm »
and if it wastn' BRAVO...if it HAD been CBS then I maybe could understand...but those of you that HAVE Bravo, are they this dainty about other gay shows?? Do they allow the 'f' word on other shows?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »
I don't watch much on Bravo anymore, but I know I have heard FUCK on "Inside the Actor's Studio' more than a few times.

Offline my_lil_darlin

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:59 pm »
Who in hell knew that Jack's middle name was Franklin?  *snerk*

Was it my eyes, or did it seem as though the actors had filmed each scene twice, once for the original movie and once for the censored version?   I swear when I saw Jack tell Ennis, "Maybe you can get by on a couple of high altitude flings a couple of times a year, but I cain't!  I'm not you!" that his lips really said "flings".