Author Topic: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!  (Read 67633 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Bravo's version of BBM censored beyond belief, a joke
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2008, 04:26:08 pm »
I'm delighted that you see the effectiveness of this simple strategy. It is in fact the same strategy used by the religious right to affect programming changes. Perhaps it was pressure from the organized religious right which caused the execs at Bravo to make these changes in the airing of BM?

Fight their fire with our own fire. Gay men, Lesbians, and their allies have per capita very deep pocketbooks. I was just looking at some stats related to the campaign and I was astonished at the estimated per capita dollar numbers for the gay / lesbian population. In absolute terms demographic numbers are smaller than the religious right, fewer of us,  but we are certainly capable of out organizing and at least matching them dollar for dollar.

Always remember that studio and production execs behave much like Ennis' and Jacks' sheep going up that mountain, if a blue herder dog gets behind them and barks, those sheep will move in the direction that the blue dog wants them to go. The bigger and the louder the dog, the faster those sheep will move. The louder and the more potent the economic threat to their exec perks at Bravo, the faster those same execs will change the programing.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2008, 04:52:54 pm »
But some blissful persons full of it as blinded, don't care if BRAVO cuts the film to piece in order to make it so gays can be harmed more and more ??

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2008, 05:08:01 pm »
In case you want to see it again, the Bravo version that is, I believe it will be broadcast again tomorrow (Monday 6/30) at 9am.  Central Time.  Check you local listings for when the hack job is showing in your area.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2008, 05:09:05 pm »
Artiste, I think that most people just aren't concerned enough to take any concrete steps. In my case, if the central theme of the film is intact then I am not too alarmed if theire was some cutting.  I don't like the cutting, it damages the integrity of the artistic process, but if the message of BM goes out, then I can live with it.

I am however concerned if was the religious right which used, and I am not sure that this actually happened, the threat of one of their organized sponsor boycotts to affect changes in the airing of the film. The religious right has a long term plan to silence gays and lesbians. We must fight that in all of its manifestations. If it was just some nervous studio execs that thought "Jack Frederick Twist" sounded better than Jack Fuckin' Twist" then I disapprove of their squeamishness, but feel it is something that can be addressed without getting all alarmed.

I would prefer that Bravo and other networks air the unexpurgated version of BM. And if a boycott of the sponsors puts pressure on Bravo so that these types of editorial decisions are never made again, the BOYCOTT AWAY!  

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »
In case you want to see it again, the Bravo version that is, I believe it will be broadcast again tomorrow (Monday 6/30) at 9am.  Central Time.  Check you local listings for when the hack job is showing in your area.

thanks for the heads up!  I'll look for it just to see how extensive the editiing is. I guess Dusty was right when he insisted that I should buy that full cable package, otherwise I wouldn't have Bravo.  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »
Thanks brokeplex !

If BRAVO does not play the Brokeback Mountain movie in its all parts, then be assured that I will call the cable co. and cancel Bravo!

I am already boycotting BRAVO by not seeing anymore its programmes; even though I used to see many, many of them daily !

Concerning if I am concerned or not if some parts are cut, I would NOT want any of my body parts cut-off on purpose by any agressor (be it a muslim, christian, jew, other religion or non-religious) person or animal !

Therefore, I demand that BRAVO play it in its entirety ! Why ?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2008, 07:42:15 pm »
I haven't seen it, and it sounds pretty egregious, but do we really know who did the editing?  Does the blame lay with Bravo?

Is it possible that Focus Features had edited a ready-for-American-TV version, complete with dubbing?  (Don't hit me!)

We know that Ang had to heavily edit Lust, Caution for viewing in China. 

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2008, 09:27:08 pm »
This reminds me of something that happend a few years ago, and it's one of the reasons that I sent that email to GLAAD last night.

GLAAD Expresses Concern over DVD Director's Cut of Oliver Stone's Alexander

LOS ANGELES, WEDNESDAY, MAY 25, 2005 - The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) today expressed concern over Oliver Stone's Special Edition Director's Cut of Alexander, due out on DVD August 2. Warner Home Video will separately release the original theatrical version on the same day.

The new version is shorter by an estimated eight minutes, and Stone told Entertainment Weekly that he removed some references to Alexander the Great's bisexuality to make the film "more accessible" to viewers.

"For someone known as a fearless, uncompromising filmmaker, Stone has really compromised his own artistic integrity," says GLAAD Entertainment Media Director Damon Romine. "This is not a special edition director's cut, it's an abridgment designed to pander to the lowest common denominator."

According to Entertainment Weekly, the shorter version will not entirely eliminate all references to Alexander's romance with Hephaistion (played by Jared Leto), but Stone says, "We just don't dwell on the relationship as much."

http://www.glaad.org/publications/archive_detail.php?id=3814

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:58 am »
I have just found an interview with Ang where he says   "for example, neither the story nor the first script had a second lovemaking scene,which I thought was necessary in order to understand why they kept wanting to go back for the next 20 years.The first time they are in the tent, it's almost like a mishap. But then they have to consciously commit to it, and that should be tender and sexy"
So the director is quite plain about the importance of TS2. The very bit that Bravo just axed almost completely.
It seems unlikely that Ang would make a 2nd version minus 95% of TS2, as he attaches such importance to it.
I think in the SS a specific second night was not necessary, the language is so raw and pasionate, and the use of phrases like,little darlin,the prologue and the epilogue,the shouldn't have let you out a my sights, leave us in no doubt of the love.

It is not so simple in a move where the words I love you are never mentioned.
We the viewer as Ang so rightly says, need to be given an indication why they continue to meet for the next 20 years.We have to believe in their love,or else the whole thing simply does not work It is a sex thing as opposed to a heart and gut wrenching, tragic love story.It is also why it resonated so deeply with so many of us from all walks of life.
So in my opinion Bravo/censors could not have left out a more crucial/pivotal scene.Not only that,what was the reason behind it, it was hardly offensive,or if it was then  so were the reunion kiss and motel scene, both of which were left in.

It simply does not add up.I can only conclude that there was some hidden agenda.At its most simplistic level, It seems likely an attempt to indicate that same sex love does not exist, only same sex lust.That is demeaning and also panders to those whose very views might otherwise be changed, or at least cause some questioning.
 I truly believe that Bravo caused more harm than good by showing the mutilated version of BBM that they did.It served only to set further in concrete the views of the small minded who mouth off saying, told you, it's just sex.I hear enough of that sort of talk here, from all those who cannot or will not see the irony,of the hatred they spew forth and then pack the church to the rafters every Sunday.
I give up, even financially it makes no sense.In England and forgive me as this is not my phrase, the so called "pink pound" is the largest market these days. I am truly sorry about the horrible phrase. But it indicates how stupid was Bravo's decision.They have even ignored plain economics.Personally I will vote with my channel change,simple,I will turn off.Laughing as I consider how much money they have stupidly just tossed down the drain.Sucks for them.
The reason for the large disposable income of substantial numbers of gay men and women, is they do not usually have very expensive kids.They tend to be very well educated and without the burden of children, tend to have larger than average disposable income.
It is in England, a very large and very well recognised market, but then England showed BBM uncut.In these days of very hard economic times, how foolish to alienate a sector of the market, who may prove to be a valuable source of income.
I am sorry to be rude about a country I am a guest in, but somethings no matter how difficult just have to be said.If immigration are reading this, don't suppose I will be getting a green card any time soon!!!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2008, 07:18:07 am »
I did not watch it on Bravo, I try not to watch TV as much as I can get by with.

The discussion of how Bravo butchered the movie caused me to have a strange dream last night in which Jack and Ennis were living in Canada, 50 years from now, working in a salt mine. Jack was managing a ware house and Ennis was driving the bags of salt eastward on some kind of bullit train that travelled at extraordinary speed, except in historically sensitive areas. Amazing what random details can survive waking, like the way they were looking at one another out of the corner of their eyes.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."