Author Topic: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS  (Read 61832 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS
« on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:23 am »
The next big gay film starring Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor as lovers in East Texas based on a true story.   The movie poster looks promising as they are embracing!  No looking away from each other in this film poster. This is the one that was displayed at Cannes
Check it out. 

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/recent/news.php?id=1192

As written elsewhere "Based on the book by Steven McVicker, it's a difficult-to-describe story -- part love story, part crime thriller, part comedy -- and the makers of the low-budget indie have added to that mystique by keeping mum on many of the plot's twists and turns. This much is clear, though: Much of the story takes place in prisons, courthouses and hospitals..."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:19:19 am »
I hate this title more than any I've ever heard.  What kind of hit-you-over-the-head product placement is that?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:01:13 am »
Yeah, ANY name for Ewan McGregor's character but THAT!! >:(

Let's face it, the tobacco industry has a stranglehold on this country. We all know it's true. Sad but true none the less. Hopefully it will be a good movie. I've been hearing bits and pieces about it. :)

I sure can't resist the screenshot of the poster though.

One good thing, Philip Morris (the tobacco giant) is spelled with one "L".   :-\  ::)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 02:34:07 pm »
I'm sorry I was so blastingly negative last night.  I just hated the point blank hyper-pro-cigaretteness.

It does look intriguing, and yay for Jim Carrey and Ewan MacGregor.

Leslie, scroll down the cast list, and tell me when you see why I suggested you do so.  :)

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1045772/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:40:49 pm »
I'm sorry I was so blastingly negative last night.  I just hated the point blank hyper-pro-cigaretteness.

It does look intriguing, and yay for Jim Carrey and Ewan MacGregor.

Leslie, scroll down the cast list, and tell me when you see why I suggested you do so.  :)

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1045772/

Hahahaha, Lance E. Nichols?

There is also someone named Randall Newsome!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:50 am »
Hahahaha, Lance E. Nichols?

There is also someone named Randall Newsome!

L

Yes, Lance.  I hadn't noticed Randall.  :)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:48:21 pm »
The trailer is out.

Long and ... very bizarre.  Not quite sure what the director is trying to do - and it seems the director doesn't know either:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:18:55 pm »
Granted I can't stand Jim Carrey, but that looks dreadful.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:37 am »
if  didnt say it was a true story i'd be like - hmm far too unbelievable.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:44:45 am »
I hate this title more than any I've ever heard.  What kind of hit-you-over-the-head product placement is that?

Maybe that's just the new product-placement trend. Instead of bothering to work products into the plot, they'll just proclaim them right in the title. For Whom the Taco Bell Tolls. Coca-Cola and Old Lace. Fast Times at the University of Phoenix.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:59:01 am »
Maybe that's just the new product-placement trend. Instead of bothering to work products into the plot, they'll just proclaim them right in the title. For Whom the Taco Bell Tolls. Coca-Cola and Old Lace. Fast Times at the University of Phoenix.

Brokeback Mountain Dew.

*sorry*

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 12:28:25 pm »

Brokeback Mountain Dew.

*sorry*

:laugh:
Good one Paul.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 03:49:12 pm »

Y'all are sooooooooo bad.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   But, hey I think Wayne's World did it best

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »

More pics and a new clip of a scene:

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp?aid=10436&tcid=1

Bleach blond Ewan is yummy.  ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 12:24:00 am »

Cri-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-nge. OMG that Trailer was f***in' awful. I literally cringed all the way through it. I can't abide Jim Carrey at the best of time and I certainly won't be wasting my money seeing this dog at the cinema.   >:(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:49:37 am »
What kind of hit-you-over-the-head product placement is that?

The most brillint kind I've seen in a while!! How many feature film titles can you think of that contain a product name? You have no idea how difficult it is to make that happen.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 10:08:59 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTGxY7gTCg[/youtube]

"Call for Philip Morris"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 02:41:27 pm »
€€

GUUhhh       :-X

Beautiful mind

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »

My, how times have changed (thank God).  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 03:21:12 am »
Ugh, more unflattering gay stereotypes pushed by straight actors.  (BARF)

"Good Christian Man and then oops, bang your head and now your gay..."(as if it's a disease you contract)  How fucking insulting!!  >:(

I may have to wage a boycott....  >:(

At first I thought this won't appeal to straights nor gays, and It won't make a dime, and will probably ruin Jim Carrey's career, which is on it's way out anyway...  But, I'm guessing this will appeal to the narrow-minded folks who saw The Birdcage.  Terrible terrible unflattering stereotypes that only hurt us... :(

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 08:49:26 pm »
Ugh, more unflattering gay stereotypes pushed by straight actors.  (BARF)

Money talks.

"Good Christian Man and then oops, bang your head and now your gay..."(as if it's a disease you contract)  How fucking insulting!!  >:(

I may have to wage a boycott....  >:(

Well considering the movie is based on a true story, I think I'm going to read the book and see what's real and what's Hollywood.  Truth is stranger than fiction.  Besides, that's just what the preview is showing.  The man is obviously a con.  Was his wife a beard?  He used the accident as an excuse?  No way to tell.

At first I thought this won't appeal to straights nor gays, and It won't make a dime, and will probably ruin Jim Carrey's career, which is on it's way out anyway...  But, I'm guessing this will appeal to the narrow-minded folks who saw The Birdcage.  Terrible terrible unflattering stereotypes that only hurt us... :(

I liked the Birdcage.  My sister loved the French version.  We're hardly narrow-minded [shrug]

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 09:25:52 pm »
Well considering the movie is based on a true story, I think I'm going to read the book and see what's real and what's Hollywood.  Truth is stranger than fiction.  Besides, that's just what the preview is showing.  The man is obviously a con.  Was his wife a beard?  He used the accident as an excuse?  No way to tell.

I liked the Birdcage.  My sister loved the French version.  We're hardly hardly narrow-minded [shrug]

I loved the original French "Birdcage" (can't remember the correct French title). It had me in fits of laughter all those years ago, when it first came out. Wasn't so fond of the Hollywood remake with, I think, Robyn Williams.

Re "I Love You Phillip Morris," I was just wondering if it could have, more successfully, been made as a legitimate true-life story with real drama and pathos, being as it's a true story, rather than as this ludicrous, vapid comedy? I think it would have worked better as a drama.

And is it only me who thinks this must be the worst  case of miscasting in the history of Hollywood? Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor? Hunh? What on earth was the Casting Director thinking? Instant flop!  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 09:37:14 pm »

Re "I Love You Phillip Morris," I was just wondering if it could have, more successfully, been made as a legitimate true-life story with real drama and pathos, being as it's a true story, rather than as this ludicrous, vapid comedy? I think it would have worked better as a drama.

And is it only me who thinks this must be the worst  case of miscasting in the history of Hollywood? Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor? Hunh? What on earth was the Casting Director thinking? Instant flop!  :-\

I would have though so too, considering this opening entry to his Wikipedia article, but if you read the entire article, his life starts to read like a farce.  Truth is stranger than fiction:

Steven Jay Russell (born September 14, 1957) is a US con artist and impostor who has escaped from prison a number of times. He has been nicknamed "Houdini" and "King Con". His IQ was measured at 169.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Jay_Russell

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 03:22:34 pm »

GLAAD loved the movie, so I guess it must be better than it looks.  Guess we'll see how Sundance likes it.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-morris18-2009jan18,0,6442245.story

They recently showed the film to GLAAD, the gay and lesbian advocacy group, and "they loved it," says Requa.

"They're hosting our Sundance press conference. They were really into it. Most gay movies with gay people are about being gay and treat being gay as this affliction," says Ficarra. "That's got nothing to do with it. It's about two people in love."

"We wanted to do a movie that wasn't about gay and suffering," says Requa.

Jim Carrey was their first choice to play Russell, perhaps because of his ability to blend comedic high jinks with pathological neediness, and he immediately signed on, explaining that there have been only three scripts that he truly felt compelled to do: "The Truman Show," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and this.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »
I'll admit, my reaction to the trailer might have been a little harsh.  I will try to have an open mind about this project.  I mean, the more and more gay folks are protrayed in mainstream movies, the more and more exposure we get, perhaps the insecurities and doubts about us will finally erode away.  I just hope this doesn't protray us in a negative light. 

And you know it's funny, sometimes I have absolutely hated movies when I first watched them or heard about them, and then they went on to become some of my favorite movies.  :laugh:  So... I should really shouldn't pay no attention to my initial knee-jerk reactions.   ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 01:24:13 pm »
I'll admit, my reaction to the trailer might have been a little harsh.  I will try to have an open mind about this project.  I mean, the more and more gay folks are protrayed in mainstream movies, the more and more exposure we get, perhaps the insecurities and doubts about us will finally erode away.  I just hope this doesn't protray us in a negative light.

Umm, not quite sure what you mean by this.  The main character Steven is going to be shown as the con-man, embezzler, liar, and thief that he is and it's also going to show that he is gay.  It will probably portray Steven in a negative light, but not because he's gay.  It will show his lover as naive and easily duped.  Is that negative?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 09:15:37 pm »
What was it like for Carrey to lock lips with McGregor?

"A dream come true. I mean, look at the guy," Carrey said, gesturing at McGregor during a question-and-answer session with the audience after the film's Sundance premiere Sunday night.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090119/ap_en_ot/film_sundance_carrey___mcgregor

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 12:43:42 am »
Another short trailer.  Its premiere at Sundance apparently went quite well.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 01:17:01 am »
 >:( >:( >:(

We may never see I love you Phillip Morris

March 2, 2009
By Eric Kohn

The prospect of Jim Carrey making out with Ewan McGregor was just the kind of thing that got the media buzzing during the Sundance Film Festival.

But four weeks later, “I Love You Phillip Morris,” a dark comedy featuring Carrey as a gay con man and McGregor as his prison lover, is still not sold, and the producer says it has been taken off the market.

He added: "If it's a film that has somebody with marketing value, but it's a more difficult film, the price may not be large. Whoever's handling the sale of the film may take a while to come to terms with that."

"I Love You Phillip Morris" is a case in point. It marked the directorial debut of "Bad Santa" scribes Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, and features Jim Carrey as a gay con man and Ewan McGregor as his prison lover.

Considered a hot property in the weeks prior to the festival, the tonally complex film left many distributors scratching their heads after its Sundance premiere -- even though some of those who passed said they enjoyed it. The simple fact: They could not envision the film finding an audience.

According to producer Andrew Lazar, it is no longer on the market and the production company plans to announce a theatrical deal "very soon." But during the festival, the filmmakers said they intended to continue editing the film -- turning its premiere into a de facto work-in-progress screening -- so it remains unclear how the newer version will play.
[/i]

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 12:37:36 pm »
Another short trailer.  Its premiere at Sundance apparently went quite well.

Does the story take place in the late 1970's and 1980s'?.  I watched the trailer and it looks like it takes place in that time period.  I have the book and have not read it though I do know someone who was an extra in the movie.  She enjoyed the experience but found Jim Carrey to be rather standoffish (at first), but one evening, he finally walked over and mingled with them (the extras). She enjoyed the experience but has not seen the final product. 

I just hope it finds a distributor and doesn't go straight to DVD.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 06:01:47 pm »
I saw the preview in a movie theater before Slumdog Millionaire so I assumed it would be showing very soon.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 10:51:16 pm »
They haven't found an American distributor last I read.  Movie is premiering in Finland this month, I believe.

the story take place in the late 1970's and 1980s'?  I watched the trailer and it looks like it takes place in that time period.  I have the book and have not read it though I do know someone who was an extra in the movie.  She enjoyed the experience but found Jim Carrey to be rather standoffish (at first), but one evening, he finally walked over and mingled with them (the extras). She enjoyed the experience but has not seen the final product.

I just hope it finds a distributor and doesn't go straight to DVD.

Russell's career in crime started in the 70's, so some scenes may be from his life during the 70-80's, but the story of his big love affair happened in the mid 90's.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2009, 04:48:11 pm »
Article by writer of the book, I love you, Phillip Morris and pics of the real Steven Russell and Phillip Morris.

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-02-19/news/living-and-dying-with-jim-carrey-and-ewan-mcgregor-over-sundance/1

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 07:12:58 pm »
Cute clip.  Jim Carrey being interviewed at Sundance and is asked the inevitable question - how does it feel/how does one get prepared for his romantic scenes (with another man)?  Jim went the Jake and Heath route, the "you're kissing the person you love whoever it is'.

At 2:10 into the interview, Ewan shows up and actually does kiss Jim when he meets him.  Sweet.  ;D  If only Jake and Heath had done that.  :-*

&feature=related

retropian

Re: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS/straight to DVD
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 10:13:31 pm »
Sorry to see it wasn't picked up. I was looking forward to seeing it in the theater, but DVD will do.

http://www.queerty.com/jim-carreys-con-artist-love-affair-flick-headed-straight-to-blockbuster-20090321/

the youtube interview with Jim Carrey was good. I generally do not like him, or rather do not like his films, but he seemed very cool during the interview. Ewan McG. is always always a treat.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:34 pm »
Sorry to see it wasn't picked up. I was looking forward to seeing it in the theater, but DVD will do.

http://www.queerty.com/jim-carreys-con-artist-love-affair-flick-headed-straight-to-blockbuster-20090321/

the youtube interview with Jim Carrey was good. I generally do not like him, or rather do not like his films, but he seemed very cool during the interview. Ewan McG. is always always a treat.

Story is going around that the producers/directors are cutting scenes left and right in an attempt to get an American distributor -  >:(

I hope it's not true.  If that is the case, who knows what version will go to DVD?  The uncut or cut-up version?

retropian

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2009, 04:23:01 am »
Story is going around that the producers/directors are cutting scenes left and right in an attempt to get an American distributor -  >:(

I hope it's not true.  If that is the case, who knows what version will go to DVD?  The uncut or cut-up version?

Lord, I hope it's an unedited directors cut with lot's o' raunch! ;D I read somewhere there is a pretty graphic scene where J.C. tops E.M. a'la FNIT, but in a well lit prison cell. E.M. has plaid gay before  :-* and done lot's of full frontal (see "The Pillow Book) I doubt getting on his knees and elbows was too difficult. ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »
Lord, I hope it's an unedited directors cut with lot's o' raunch! ;D I read somewhere there is a pretty graphic scene where J.C. tops E.M. a'la FNIT, but in a well lit prison cell. E.M. has plaid gay before  :-* and done lot's of full frontal (see "The Pillow Book) I doubt getting on his knees and elbows was too difficult. ;D

We can only hope.  :-*

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2009, 03:14:50 pm »

Maybe they'll have to retitle it to "I Like You Phillip Morris."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 03:37:39 pm »

http://www.worstpreviews.com/review.php?id=1251&section=preview

Interesting read.  He has nice things to say about Ewan McGregor, not so nice things to say about Carrey and

I recall reading once that the social progress of any minority group can be traced in very distinct stages by how they're portrayed in movies.

And he goes on to trace how black people are portrayed in movies and then gays.  He even mentions BBM.  :) 

A shot of Phillip/Ewan (supposedly spitting after going down on Steven/Carrey)

retropian

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2009, 05:38:27 pm »
http://www.worstpreviews.com/review.php?id=1251&section=preview

Interesting read.  He has nice things to say about Ewan McGregor, not so nice things to say about Carrey and

I recall reading once that the social progress of any minority group can be traced in very distinct stages by how they're portrayed in movies.

And he goes on to trace how black people are portrayed in movies and then gays.  He even mentions BBM.  :) 

A shot of Phillip/Ewan (supposedly spitting after going down on Steven/Carrey)

LOL! So now we know Ewan is spitter, not a swallower. :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

Special screening if you live in L.A.
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2009, 06:45:17 pm »
Special Screening of "I Love You Phillip Morris"
03 Apr 2009   

By Nicola West (Editor/Writer (UK))

If you're in the LA area on April 25, 2009 and fancy being able to boast that you're one of the very few who've seen "I Love You Phillip Morris", get yourself down to the AFI Cinema in Hollywood, where the Tisch Cinema Club are holding an exclusive viewing at 3pm.

Tickets are a bargain $10 and can be purchased at the door or online

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Special screening if you live in L.A.
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 12:21:24 am »
Special Screening of "I Love You Phillip Morris"
03 Apr 2009   

By Nicola West (Editor/Writer (UK))

If you're in the LA area on April 25, 2009 and fancy being able to boast that you're one of the very few who've seen "I Love You Phillip Morris", get yourself down to the AFI Cinema in Hollywood, where the Tisch Cinema Club are holding an exclusive viewing at 3pm.

Tickets are a bargain $10 and can be purchased at the door or online

Fuck!  I will be in Los Angeles on that date, but not until late afternoon.  Hmmm, do I change my flight?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 06:37:52 pm »

Fuck!  I will be in Los Angeles on that date, but not until late afternoon.  Hmmm, do I change my flight?

I would.  You might be one of the very few in this country to see it on the big screen.  Way things are going it's probably going straight to DVD in this country.  Rumor has it on IMDb that opening dates in other countries have been pulled.  :P

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 07:22:01 pm »

I could meet you there...

Heathen

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 11:18:13 pm »
I could meet you there...

It's all tempting.  But it would cost $20 more to change my flight (like that's ever been an obstacle for me  :laugh:) and I have a buddy flying with me who I'm sharing a motel room with and, complicated, getting to the theatre, blah blah blah, etc etc etc.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 08:40:13 pm »
So did anyone make it to the screening?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 08:53:27 pm »
So did anyone make it to the screening?

Not me.  :P

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 10:09:13 pm »
Latest news.  They have an American distributor, they watered down the sex/love scenes and it's going to be released in the U.S. on February 14, 2010

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 12:32:24 am »
Oh, I hope a director's cut will be issued!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2010, 02:47:13 am »
I can't believe this fell onto page two.  So I'm bumping this.

I wonder, with the right distribution, if this could be the next "cross-over" movie?

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2010, 06:26:22 am »
Latest news.  They have an American distributor, they watered down the sex/love scenes and it's going to be released in the U.S. on February 14, 2010

Umm. Who wants to see a watered down version?  ???
I'd rather buy the dvd.
That said, I am really thrilled to see Ewan McGregor in something decent again. He has been my hero ever since I saw him in Trainspotting, and I think his talent was wasted in the Star Wars films.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUOTs55KY40[/youtube]

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 10:47:06 pm »
There's a new trailer out, go a little ways down the page.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/new-i-love-you-phillip-morris-trailer-8983

Release date in U.S. has been pushed back to March.  >:(

Offline delalluvia

Out magazine - Ewan McGregor talks gay love
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 11:57:51 pm »
The pics are nice, too.  Even if he is all dirtied up.  ;D

“I’m very keen that it’s a gay movie,” McGregor insists. “There was quite a lot of talk at Sundance that ‘Well, it’s not a gay movie. It’s a film about guys who happen to be gay.’ And I was thinking, it’s nothing but a gay movie. It’s about a gay couple, about a man’s sexuality, and he comes out. It’s not the point of the film, but let’s not pretend it’s not a gay film.”

http://www.out.com/detail.asp?page=1&id=26508

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 01:51:20 am »
FINALLY, this movie is coming to the U.S.

Ewan is here on Good Morning America, talking about his part in Roman Polanski's last movie and with just a quick mention of I love you Phillip Morris.  Then George S. makes an ass out of himself by throwing up a 'shock pic' that was meant to draw laughs and put Ewan on the defensive about he and Jim Carrey.  Ewan reacted very maturely and with grace, making George look like a Butthead.  I am very proud of Ewan for what he said and for keeping out of the Polanski issue.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=9873373

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2010, 01:58:11 am »

Wow I do not like that George S guy...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2010, 03:36:41 pm »

Uh-oh, I just got wind that the release date just got moved to April 30th...   :-\  :-\

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2010, 12:02:32 pm »
Uh-oh, I just got wind that the release date just got moved to April 30th...   :-\  :-\

Jumping Jupiter.  Is a movie of two men in love THAT threatening?!?!?! 

You'd a thunk it was a movie about some Muslim terrorist guy shooting a school bus full of school kids, then the Pope and the President of the United States to boot after he drowned a bunch of puppies.

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 07:02:33 pm »
Have just seen it, and I loved it. It was a great movie with a lot of love, comedy and seriousness and I loved Carreys why of deling with all these emotions in his caracter. A caracter you just can´t stop loving even if he does thousands of misstakes.  And I love all the love scenes between Carrey and Mcgregor, even if some have been changed to fit the eyes of some mega hollywood people, they were so lovely together.  :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 10:58:37 am »
I'm looking forward to the movie, whenever it finally happens, and to the director's cut!!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:13 pm »

Jumping Jupiter.  Is a movie of two men in love THAT threatening?!?!?! 

You'd a thunk it was a movie about some Muslim terrorist guy shooting a school bus full of school kids, then the Pope and the President of the United States to boot after he drowned a bunch of puppies.

Aparently so.  :(  :-\

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2010, 06:16:55 pm »
Saw an advert for this today.. comes out in the UK on 17 March.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 02:58:40 am »
Saw an advert for this today.. comes out in the UK on 17 March.

:P  :P  :P  :P

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2010, 02:38:27 pm »

Now delayed again indefinitely?  :-\  >:(

Hollywood once again fears that America can't handle a gay romantic-themed movie. Yet crap like "Black Waters of Echo's Pond" which made only $186 per theatre on Friday can get a release?  >:(

http://www.collider.com/2010/04/08/i-love-you-phillip-morris-starring-jim-carrey-and-ewan-mcgregor-delayed-indefinitely/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2010, 06:16:26 pm »
Not again! I saw a trailer for this over a year ago!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 06:26:07 am »
Not again! I saw a trailer for this over a year ago!!

i may stil be out in some cinemas over here in June Lee, or out on DVD.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2010, 08:48:42 am »
ILYPM premiered here this weekend. Currently every other bus stop is plastered with this poster, promoting the film:

It's got an 11 year age limit, due to "several violent and dramatic scenes".

But tbh, it's gotten a relatively luke-warm reception among the critics. They think Carrey is overplaying his role (no surprise there) and that the film never really decides what it wants to be, so comes out rather confusing and without structure and build-up.

I haven't seen it yet and I'm not sure I plan to; I think Jim Carrey is right up there with my least favourite film actors.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2010, 12:27:13 pm »
Now delayed again indefinitely?  :-\  >:(

Hollywood once again fears that America can't handle a gay romantic-themed movie. Yet crap like "Black Waters of Echo's Pond" which made only $186 per theatre on Friday can get a release?  >:(

http://www.collider.com/2010/04/08/i-love-you-phillip-morris-starring-jim-carrey-and-ewan-mcgregor-delayed-indefinitely/

Out of curiosity, I looked up BLACK WATER OF ECHO'S POND on IMDB and sure enough it looks pretty awful (4.5 rating).  But, nterestingly, at the bottom of the page I noticed:

If you enjoyed this title, our database also recommends: SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER   ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:59 pm »
Apparently the Americans will have to buy a ticket to London or Oslo in order to see this movie.

:-\ :-\

It's a bit weird they won't show the movie in the country it was made in. And I'm getting tired of waiting. Maybe I'll finally get to see it when I buy my bootleg copy of the DVD. ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2010, 12:15:19 am »

:o ::) :laugh:

http://www.queerty.com/jim-carrey-is-giving-this-muscle-daddy-a-pounding-20100608/

Over a year ago we got a chance to read about the "graphic gay sex scene" in I Love You Phillip Morris, the gay con caper starring Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor that's been denied a U.S. release date yet again. But, what's this, the scene has surfaced?

Of course it has. This is the Internet, after all, and Morris has already premiered in other countries. The blog LA Rag Mag tipped us off the scene was out there, but didn't provide an embeddable clip, so we went out and got one.

It's not as graphic as we thought it would be, but it's still probably NSFW, and will shock staid American audiences.

Update: EuropaCorp has requested the clip be removed, but it's still online all over the place.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2010, 12:19:00 am »
*sigh*

I'll be old and gray by the time they release this movie here.  >:(

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2010, 12:50:08 am »

*sigh*

I'll be old and gray by the time they release this movie here.  >:(

Me, I'm already  old and gray.

*sigh*

(Love the beltbuckle. Love it.)

"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2010, 12:11:13 pm »
could this be true, a release in US.  :o

From what I have found it should happen 30 july 2010

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2010, 12:16:17 pm »
could this be true, a release in US.  :o

From what I have found it should happen 30 july 2010

Just the latest in a long line of release dates.  I'll believe it when it actually happens.  :P

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »
Finally saw this on the British Airways flight from Heathrow to Denver. Almost worth the ticket just to see the movie!! But, yes, it was dreadfully overacted by Carrey. Balanced by MacGregor's nuanced role, so it worked out to be eminently watchable. Jet-lagged Lee didn't doze off at all!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »
Finally saw this on the British Airways flight from Heathrow to Denver. Almost worth the ticket just to see the movie!! But, yes, it was dreadfully overacted by Carrey. Balanced by MacGregor's nuanced role, so it worked out to be eminently watchable. Jet-lagged Lee didn't doze off at all!!

Yay!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2010, 01:05:38 pm »
Newest release date I've heard is December 03rd.

I've had a chance to see the movie.  I really hope nothing is cut out of it for American audiences.  :-\  We shall see....

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2010, 03:05:08 pm »
Newest release date I've heard is December 03rd.

I've had a chance to see the movie.  I really hope nothing is cut out of it for American audiences.  :-\  We shall see....

I read that too, but heck, by then it'll be almost a year since the FIRST time they issued a release date.  :P

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2010, 01:44:34 pm »

"Being gay is really  expensive."

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CXnwkh_Oro&feature[/youtube]
Christmas 2010.

("Jesus has a plan for you.")

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2010, 02:12:17 pm »

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/i_love_you_phillip_morris_trai_1.html

I Love You Phillip Morris  Trailer:
Jim Carrey’s Gay Prison Movie
Is Finally Coming Out

By: Kyle Buchanan
10/21/10 at 1:15 PM

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CXnwkh_Oro&feature[/youtube]

It's really happening! After years of delays and legal red tape, the notorious Jim Carrey gay prison movie I Love You Phillip Morris  is coming out via Roadside Attractions just in time for Christmas, and the domestic trailer has just been released. (It's been on the shelf so long that the last time Vulture covered a trailer for the film — then just a three-minute clip produced for French audiences — it was in December 2008. )

Sure, the rest of the world has already watched it and the movie's been online for ages, but hey, Jim Carrey hasn't been seen in a live-action film in a few years, so there's that, right? Should Phillip Morris  not be to your liking, you could simply hold out until Carrey's overdue return to movies commences with Mr. Popper's Penguins, but we have a hunch that movie will include way less gay spooning in prison, and be all the worse for it.

"Camping Out"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2010, 03:31:40 pm »
Hmmmm. Having seen the moive, that new trailer leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  :-\  I don't think it does the movie justice.  I liked the old trailers better.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2010, 07:55:41 pm »
The new trailer is hysterical.

It emphasizes the conman part and the marriage part more though.

"Maybe this is Jesus' plan.  Gotta go, Jesus is on the other line."

It would be extremely bizarre if they release this movie at Christmas.  Isn't Jim Carrey's "A Christmas Carol" also coming out this Christmas?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:23 pm »
I agree the new trailer is hysterical...it's been so long, I don't quite remember the original trailer. Except I do remember Steven standing at the door with flowers, a limo, trying to entice Phillip to open the door. I think this new trailer has wider appeal.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2010, 09:11:04 pm »
I agree the new trailer is hysterical...it's been so long, I don't quite remember the original trailer. Except I do remember Steven standing at the door with flowers, a limo, trying to entice Phillip to open the door. I think this new trailer has wider appeal.

I remember the original trailers.  Most strongly emphasized the gay love story more than the marriage part.  Though I do wonder, they were a lot more 'general' than this trailer is.  Are we sure it's an American trailer?  You hardly ever see such blatant sex scenes or coarse language in trailers here.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2010, 11:05:14 am »
I remember the original trailers.  Most strongly emphasized the gay love story more than the marriage part.  Though I do wonder, they were a lot more 'general' than this trailer is.  Are we sure it's an American trailer?  You hardly ever see such blatant sex scenes or coarse language in trailers here.

Maybe that's what's bugging me about it.  That (first gay) sex scene really doesn't need to be in the trailer.  It's like putting TS1 in the trailer for BBM.  Don't seem right.  And yeah, the other trailers more focused on the love story...  This trailer is just off-putting to me.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2010, 02:52:47 pm »
Haven't seen any trailers, news, tv spots, nothin' for this.  Maybe they're keepin' it on the down low until it opens?

Offline Sophia

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2010, 05:30:07 pm »

ILYPM   

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFANivV44g[/youtube]

Offline Sophia

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2010, 05:35:48 pm »
ILYPM

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl0NCZEY5M4[/youtube]

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2010, 06:18:27 pm »
We've heard the date December 03rd, but my local art-house cinema here in San Jose has it on their schedule for December 10th!  Sometimes this art-house theatre gets movies a week after they open in SF/Berkeley.  This leads me to believe it will be a VERY LIMITED art house only release, and then be rushed to DVD by February.   :-\

There has been no advertising, no trailers in theatres, no hype, no anything!  :-\

Offline oilgun

« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2010, 07:08:39 pm »
We've heard the date December 03rd, but my local art-house cinema here in San Jose has it on their schedule for December 10th!  Sometimes this art-house theatre gets movies a week after they open in SF/Berkeley.  This leads me to believe it will be a VERY LIMITED art house only release, and then be rushed to DVD by February.   :-\

There has been no advertising, no trailers in theatres, no hype, no anything!  :-\

This month's Film Comment magazine included it in their monthly list of 5 Must-See Movies along with Every Man for Himself, Carlos, White Material & Inside Job.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:24 pm »
You know, I'm just trying to not get my hopes up.  Been waiting what?  Over a year and half?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2010, 08:26:39 pm »
This a great interview with Jim Carrey on Letterman about the film.  I have a renewed respect for the guy.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZeRmwh7L8[/youtube]

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »
Fabulous interview, thanks for posting! Of course, that reminds me of one of my all time favorite music videos...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914[/youtube]

My daughter has an indie movie theater across the street from her dorm. She goes to the movies 2x/wk these days. I bet she'll get to see this movie long before I do.

Here she is. Do you recognize the man she is with?  ;)

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
Adrien Brody!!!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2010, 10:06:58 pm »
Adrien Brody!!!!

Absolutely! Apparently he was considered for the role of the Joker in the Dark Knight. It is an interesting coincidence that my daughter is wearing a Joker tee shirt...

L

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:51 pm »
Cool picture! Also thanks for the Letterman interview...Look forward to it December 3!

i saw this movie on a BA flight in June, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2010, 05:27:08 pm »
Yes, I'm more interested in going to see in the theatres just to watch the crowd's reaction.  As some of you know that was a big part of why I saw BBM in the theatre so many times.

Offline Sophia

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2010, 07:10:42 pm »
Fabulous interview, thanks for posting! Of course, that reminds me of one of my all time favorite music videos...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914[/youtube]

My daughter has an indie movie theater across the street from her dorm. She goes to the movies 2x/wk these days. I bet she'll get to see this movie long before I do.

Here she is. Do you recognize the man she is with?  ;)

what beautiful and lovely photo of your daughter and Adrian! And, what a great story to share. Thank you so much for posting it. And I must say the interview with Jim Carey is a high light.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »
Opens tomorrow, December 03rd at these locations only:

Arclight - Hollywood

AMC Loews Metreon - San Francisco

AMC Loews Village - New York

AMC Loews Lincoln Square  - New York

Clearview Chelsea - New York

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53:47 pm »
I saw Jim Carey on Letterman last night and really liked when he called Dave on his antiquated terminology. He asked him, I think, if gays were allowed in Indiana.

Then they showed a clip that focused on his characters history of insurance fraud and I went to bed.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:51 pm »
Opens tomorrow, December 03rd at these locations only:

Arclight - Hollywood

That's not limited release, that's barely released.  On the coasts only, and only in the three big metropolitan areas and nothing in the midwest.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:07 am »
That's not limited release, that's barely released.  On the coasts only, and only in the three big metropolitan areas and nothing in the midwest.  >:( >:( >:(

Looks like they're trying the "brokeback approach".  However, this is really no Brokeback.  The San Jose movie theatre here that was advertising it for 12/10, now says "12/10-tentatively!"  >:(

Whatever, just put it on DVD already.  The release here in the USA could not have been more mishandled.... It's an insult.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2010, 03:11:28 am »
How depressing all of this is

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2010, 10:02:59 am »
Critics are talking about the movie in Denver, so it should be opening here soon.  :P

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2010, 12:51:12 pm »
Ooops, one more theatre showing it this weekend:

Total of 6 theatres showing it on December 03rd

AMC Century City - Los Angeles

Arclight - Hollywood

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »
Critics are talking about the movie in Denver, so it should be opening here soon.  :P

That is good that they're talking about it.  Seems it's the only publicity this movie will get though.

The Landmark's in Denver have it advertised for a 12/17 opening on their website.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »

I didn't even know they still made Phillip Morris cigarettes. That brand's been around for a million years. They sponsored I Love Lucy!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »
Landmark Theaters in Denver are the best!! That's where I saw 127 Hours. I'm also planning to see a movie there this weekend called VISION about a middle ages saint. I might go see ILYPM again; I saw it on a British Airways flight last June.

Oh and Landmark Theaters is planning to show BBM at midnight on Valentines Day next year.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2010, 02:25:47 pm »
For Whom the Taco Bell Tolls.

Coca-Cola and Old Lace.

Fast Times at the University of Phoenix.

It Happened One Nyquil.

All About Summer's Eve.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2010, 07:05:27 pm »
I really want to see it now!

http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/2606

"It's taken almost two years for the bonkers, exhilarating same-sex romantic comedy I Love You Phillip Morris to finally reach theaters," writes Melissa Anderson in the Voice. "Premiering at Sundance in January 2009, the movie was a near-casualty of nervous-nellie US distributors — more comfortable with innocuous gay genres like the homosexual weepie or the martyr biopic — and countless release delays. In the interim, we've bided our time with such high-profile, big-screen depictions of man-man love as Brüno pantomiming oral on the ghost of Rob Pilatus and Colin Firth's suicidal fusspot furtively nuzzling Matthew Goode in a Single Man flashback. Save it, Mary: Nothing tops ILYPM's Jim Carrey as a top, sweatily, giddily ass-plowing a mustached muscle-daddy in the most gloriously raunchy, unrepentant moment in the an(n)als of Hollywood A-listers doing gay-for-pay."

For Bill Weber, writing in Slant, the film "suggests both a middle-aged queer rewrite of Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can and how one of Jean Genet's thieves might've aspired to an Out magazine photo-spread lifestyle in 1990s America.... Written and directed by Bad Santa scribes Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, and adapted from a true-crime chronicle ('Really,' insists an opening title), I Love You Phillip Morris gets off on gender-fucking the conventions of romantic and caper comedies while reaping subversive moments of tenderness from its committed central performance. Carrey, whose candidacy as one of the best film actors of the last 20 years may go unspoken due to anti-comedy snobbery, gives Steven's devotion to Phillip a rapt authenticity right from their moony meeting, attired in lemon-yellow jumpsuits, in their Texas prison's library.... As shy, almost dainty Phillip, [Ewan] McGregor mostly yields the spotlight to his co-star; that he's the naïve, moralistic scold of the couple ('Did you do something?!' he nags when the police come knocking) is a pretty neat casting joke, given his history of studly bad-boy roles."

"There's one scene of them chatting in their prison cell — viewed overhead in bed, Phillip's head in the crook of Steven's arm — that's so affectionately intimate you can see exactly why the movie took two years to get a US release," writes Dennis Harvey in the San Francisco Bay Guardian. "Even the prior scene of Carrey riding a different man's ass like a bucking bronco isn't as half so threatening as this, an utterly unguarded moment with two famous faces that both happen to be male conveying a perfectly synched love."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »

Good one!   8)

Movie Review:
Jim Carrey’s Gay Con Man Actually Great!
By: David Edelstein
12/3/10 at 6:15 PM

The actor who adopts a series of masks but has no core has been a tired existential trope since (at least) Sartre’s Kean,  but as Steven Russell, a gay con man in I Love You, Phillip MorrisJim Carrey makes it sing. Carrey is the least filled-in of modern clowns, the most desperate, as if he’d dissolve if he stopped doing (or turning) tricks. That desperation takes on an astonishing emotional resonance when the character is gay and forced to live and work in a homophobic culture. “Normal” is nonsensical, deceit the deepest logic. Subterfuge, compartmentalization—they become second nature. This is where Carrey triumphs, by playing Steven as a man who plays other people.

When he impersonates a successful business executive with a joshing, how’s-your-golf-game façade, the ironic quotation marks around every hearty back slap are terribly funny and terribly sad—because you know, as Steven knows, that he’ll push it and push it and push it until he’s exposed. His Achilles Heel is a fair young man (Ewan McGregor) he meets in prison with the name Phillip Morris. There’s no artifice there. He loves Phillip Morris.

Based on the non-fiction book by former Houston Chronicle  investigative reporter Steve McVicker, I Love You Phillip Morris  has been splendidly written and almost consistently misdirected by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa. They wrote the excellent gonzo script of Bad Santa  and had the luck of having Terry Zwigoff direct it fresh off his R. Crumb documentary. For Zwigoff, as for Crumb, there is no line between the realistic and the freakish—freakishness is realism of the purest kind. But Ficarra and Requa have a low-camp aesthetic that’s tiresome and dated and, for actors, a kind of anti-straitjacket, forcing them into cartoon mode. That doesn’t affect the leads, though. Carrey’s particular mania transcends camp, and McGregor goes in the opposite direction: He makes Phillip so passive and low-key that he seems to exist in a different realm from the other actors. It’s not an especially compelling performance, but you can see why Carrey’s Steven would find Phillip a balm.

Even camped-up, the first two-thirds of the film is exhilarating. The last part, in which Steven is jailed and then escapes and is jailed and then escapes and is jailed, etc., is… audacious, but, as my synopsis implies, monotonous. Like the ongoing story of its real-life subject, the film doesn’t have much of a finish. But it must be seen for Carrey, for its portrait of a clown in agony—and in clover.

"Camping Out"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2010, 02:52:56 am »
Landmark Theaters in Denver are the best!! That's where I saw 127 Hours. I'm also planning to see a movie there this weekend called VISION about a middle ages saint. I might go see ILYPM again; I saw it on a British Airways flight last June.

Oh and Landmark Theaters is planning to show BBM at midnight on Valentines Day next year.

Which Landmark are you talking about.  There are a few there.  When I came to visit in 2006 I saw Babel at the Mayan theatre.  I loved it.  I might have to fly out for Valentine's day and BBM.  I also loved that they had a bar in the theatre!  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2010, 02:59:32 am »
Well everyone, I drove up to the City afterwork to see it in the theatre at the AMC Metreon in SF.  I just HAD to see it in the theatre to see the crowd and the reaction.  

I found it much more enjoyable on the big screen!  I definitely felt the romance more this time!

There was only about 100 people in their largest 300 seater! Very low turnout. (This is certainly no Brokeback Mountain!) However, it wasn't advertised much so I'm not surprised. On the other hand, Black Swan was sold out all night, and will probably be moved to the 300 seater tomorrow.

We had some forgetable Focus Features trailer, The Green Lantern trailer, and then YOUR SOUL TO TAKE. WTF?? (That came out already months ago....)

We had survey cards given to us by studio folks upon entering the theatre. They said they wanted to know if they should open the movie wider or not. The survey asked questions about demographics, and then how we liked the movie, would we see it again, would we buy it on DVD, etc.   One of the questions was "gay or straight"... in retrospect, I should have answered "straight". LOL  :D

When the movie ended, there was applause. Not standing ovation, but some pleasant applause. Folks seemed to genuinely like it. Most were very into filling out their survey cards during the credits, so I didn't hear much discussion from folks. People are funny and like sheep, they really do what you tell them to... I found these survey cards hilairous for that reason. Everyone was so dillengently filling them out at the end. LOL

I'm happy to report that no scenes were cut for the USA release!  :)  :)  :)

The real test though, will be when it opens down here in San Jose next week.  I will very much like to see a "suburbian" audience's reaction!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2010, 06:09:08 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it on the big screen Eric!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2010, 09:29:48 pm »
Well, you guys filling out those forms will make or break the decision to release ILYPM to the rest of us in the Fly Over regions. 

Write positives!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2010, 10:19:59 pm »
Mighty oaks from little acorns grow...this could get really big, friends!

I also loved the scene in prison when the couple were together and Steven had finagled for some romantic music to be played. While the couple danced together and their intimacy deepened considerably (to use a Prouxism) you hear the prison guards insulting each other in voiceover. It's hilarious and saddening at the same time.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2010, 08:25:20 pm »
Listening to the NPR story about this, I finally found out why they called it "I Love You Phillip Morris"... because that is his real name!

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/03/131783406/con-king-steven-russell-he-still-loves-phillip-morris

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2010, 08:56:29 pm »
I thought you guys knew that!

Yes, his real name is Phillip Morris.  I think the cigarettes only have one "L" in their name, but in the book, Phillip says that people think about the cigarettes a lot when they hear his name.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2010, 12:17:54 am »
Finally!

A movie advert for ILYPM on cable TV.  On TruTV of all places.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:50 am »

Katherine will be pleased: Dana Stevens wholeheartedly approves--

http://www.slate.com/id/2276612/

I Love You, Phillip Morris
This "gay" movie is irresistibly self-assured in its weirdness.
By Dana Stevens
Posted Monday, Dec. 6, 2010, at 12:28 PM ET

Now here's an unlikely premise for a Hollywood movie: Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor meet in prison and fall madly in love. After they're released from jail (through a series of subterfuges too elaborate to detail here), the pair cut a swath through the American South as a team of horny, opportunistic, unrepentant con artists. The only thing more unlikely than such a movie getting made in the first place is the idea that it would find distribution, and I Love You, Phillip Morris  (Roadside Attractions) almost didn't—it sat on a shelf while distributors puzzled over how to mass market a gay romance so blithely unconcerned with earnest uplift. Phillip Morris  isn't a perfect movie by any means, but it's irresistibly self-assured in its weirdness.

The directorial debut of Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (the comedy-writing team responsible for Bad Santa ), I Love You, Phillip Morris  is based on the true story of Steven Russell. As the movie begins, Steven (played by Jim Carrey) is a churchgoing cop in Texas married to a nice Christian woman (played, delightfully, by Leslie Mann, who deserves a movie of her own already). When he's nearly killed in an auto accident, Steven abruptly decides to stop living a lie: "I'm a faggot!" he yells exultantly to the EMS workers as they carry him to the ambulance.

But after leaving his wife and children to hook up with a boyfriend in Key West, Steven realizes to his consternation that "Being gay is really expensive." So he embarks on a series of freelance swindles, eventually landing in prison for insurance fraud. When he meets the gentle Philip (Ewan McGregor) in the prison library, it's love at first sight, and Steven employs his preternatural gift for deception to get the two of them assigned as cellmates and, eventually, to spring his boyfriend from jail.

Jim Carrey has struggled in midlife to find a place for his outsized, dominating performance style, sometimes tamping it down for straight dramatic roles like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,  sometimes hiding behind animated avatars as a voice actor in A Christmas Carol  and Horton Hears a Who.  Carrey's performance here is broad, clownlike, and, in the sex scenes especially, almost deliberately grotesque. Yet he's also vulnerable and tender. Ewan McGregor brings a screwball sweetness to his role as the blond, Southern nancy boy who's both bedazzled and shocked by his boyfriend's criminal audacity.

Though the movie is light on story, with an episodic structure that sometimes drags, I Love You, Phillip Morris  is something close to brilliant in its mastery of tone. Like Bad Santa,  it's a black comedy with a caramel center. The movie goes to some really bleak places—I can't tell you how bleak without spoiling a major twist—and shows its characters in some very unflattering lights, without ever abandoning its basic faith in the redemptive power of love. What saves that faith from being cloying is how the Steven/Phillip romance comes mixed with a heaping helping of sex—when he looks for shapes in the clouds, Steven can't help but spot a proudly erect phallus every time.

In the end, I Love You, Phillip Morris  is neither a light romantic comedy nor a pious drama of oppression. It's a passionate, amoral caper, a story of outlaw love on the run in the tradition of Breathless  or True Romance.  Without making any big proclamations, I Love You, Phillip Morris  neatly subverts our every expectation of what a "gay movie" should be.

"Camping Out"

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2010, 12:46:46 pm »
Katherine will be pleased: Dana Stevens wholeheartedly approves--

Thanks, John, I am! Even though Dana Stevens is one of my favorite critics, she and I don't always see eye to eye.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2010, 03:31:08 pm »
It appears they have plans to expand it in the exact same release pattern as Brokeback Mountain.  This Friday 12/10 they are expanding it to all the exact same theatres they expanded BBM to around here in the Bay Area in it's 2nd week (12/16/05).  And then there is this quote from Boxofficeguru.com:

"The much-delayed Jim Carrey-Ewan McGregor comedy I Love You, Phillip Morris enjoyed a solid debut with an estimated $113,200 from six sites for a $18,867 average. Released by Roadside Attractions, the R-rated film about a con man that falls in love with a fellow inmate in prison earned good marks from critics and will gradually expand throughout December ahead of a January 7 wide release."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:39 pm »
Article by writer of the book, I love you, Phillip Morris and pics of the real Steven Russell and Phillip Morris.

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-02-19/news/living-and-dying-with-jim-carrey-and-ewan-mcgregor-over-sundance/1

Great article and pics!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:48 pm »
"Being gay is really expensive."

:laugh:

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »
Skip to about 3:50......

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5-omFwpWE&feature=related[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2010, 10:03:48 pm »

I've always thought Letterman an ass (that's just me, of course), but now, in this clip, he seems to be a dodering old fool of an ass, someone's great-great Uncle Chester. Sorry for the dumb question, but why does he have a television show? Just wondering....

(Carrey was great.)

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2010, 08:51:13 pm »
It's here!!!  It's here!!!  :o  :o  :o

My computer was down when I came back from a small vacation this last weekend so my sister looked up the movie on her computer and said it was opening at our local art house on Friday!!!!

I'm there!!!!  ;D ;D  :-*

[Del does crazy happy dance until people ask her to stop]

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:57 pm »

My computer was down when I came back from a small vacation this last weekend so my sister looked up the movie on her computer and said it was opening at our local art house on Friday!!!!

Yay!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

So did you go?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2010, 07:34:56 pm »
So did you go?

No, can you believe it?  Waited all this time and it opened on a weekend where I got swamped with other things to do.

I am going tomorrow evening though.  My goodness, my local arthouse has like 11 showings of it per day.  I'll let you guys know tomorrow!!!!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:25 pm »
Hurry up and go....

The two local art-houses here in San Jose are cutting it back to only 2 showtimes per day starting Friday.  I guess they did not get the count (attendance) they'd hoped for....

This also will probably nix any further expansion plans for the movie beyond December.  T-T-T-That's all folks.  Look for it on DVD by February....  :-\

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »
Hurry up and go....

The two local art-houses here in San Jose are cutting it back to only 2 showtimes per day starting Friday.  I guess they did not get the count (attendance) they'd hoped for....

This also will probably nix any further expansion plans for the movie beyond December.  T-T-T-That's all folks.  Look for it on DVD by February....  :-\

I'll make it. [determined look]

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2010, 11:24:02 pm »
Saw it!!

Loved it!!

I went on a weeknight, but there were still people there.  Not so much a gay crowd as a mixed crowd of young and old.  As I was leaving I heard people say, "It was good."  

No, not the greatest movie in the world, but in a very short 100 minutes - and the movie went by super fast - the producer/director/writers managed to tell quite a bit.

It was a true dramedy.  It suffers a bit in the drama part because what happens in the comedy section is so absurd that you're kind of waiting for the next absurdity.

But the movie can't help it.  The outlandish parts really did happen.  It's a true story.

I'd read the book, so the ending didn't hit me as it might have others, so now I wish I hadn't read the book or known anything about the characters so I could feel it more.  As it was, the drama was sincere and serious (quite serious in one situation) and the acting in the drama parts was exceptional enough as it was to still get me a little misty eyed.  Jim Carrey surprised me.  I actually did stop seeing Jim Carrey and started to see his character, especially toward the end.

Ewan McGregor - as usual - was superb.  The best actor by far.  Completely sincere, plays it completely straight (so to speak).  Never shows the least bit hesitation in what the part calls for.  He's amazing and gods, so adorable, I'd do time for him too.  ;D

The prison love affair was really quite romantic.  The dance scene was amazingly tender and loving and completely believable and held that mood even as an absurdity was going on in the background.

The homosexuality of the characters is never played for laughs, or as a joke.  It simply is, as the movie goes on.

So very much recommend this movie.  I even enjoyed the cameo by the real Phillip Morris near the end.

I hope to see it again before it leaves the theaters.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2010, 12:10:57 am »
I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie and your perceptions are right on!

The prison love affair was really quite romantic.  The dance scene was amazingly tender and loving and completely believable and held that mood even as an absurdity was going on in the background.

Isn't that the truth!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2010, 12:36:24 am »
I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie and your perceptions are right on!

Isn't that the truth!!

The more I think about it, the more the love story comes across as genuine and very sweet.  It was a real love story, and the writers/actors/directors managed to get that on screen believably and it comes across as very real.  Because Steven Russell had found true love and like most of us, he'd never had it before and was willing to do anything to keep it.

It reminds me of what a historian one time said about Anne Bolyen and Henry VIII.  Serious historians can dodge and circle around the love affair of the two all they want when talking about Tudor politics or the rationale behind England's split from RCC, but when you strip away everything else, and get down to the brass tacks, it all happened because Henry VIII wanted Anne Boleyn.  Period.

So all that Steven Russell did was because he wanted Phillip Morris.  Period.  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2010, 02:34:20 am »

The homosexuality of the characters is never played for laughs, or as a joke.  It simply is, as the movie goes on.

And that's the magic of this movie.  It's not the centerpiece.

However, I saw it again tonight, this time at the CineArts in San Jose here, very suburban area, and 3 people walked out after the first gay sex scene.  Loosers!!!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:57 pm »
Ok, I see this is now playing in Seattle at the Egyptian Theatre,  and in Denver at the Mayan Theatre.  I want crowd reports!  :D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2010, 08:24:57 pm »
Finally!  I see it's playing both at the multiplex and the art house cinema. 

Despite another nasty cold and expected snow, I'll try to see it this week.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2010, 09:48:11 pm »
Question to anyone who's seen it:

In the early early trailers of the movie - a year of more ago - in the scene where the prisoners are gathered to watch a movie.  When I saw the trailer, the movie playing was "Ghost".  When I finally saw the movie a few days ago, the movie the prisoners were watching was some black and white movie I didn't know.

Anyone else notice this?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »
Finally!  I see it's playing both at the multiplex and the art house cinema. 

Despite another nasty cold and expected snow, I'll try to see it this week.

It's important that everyone goes and spends money to see this in the theatres.  Opening weekend would be preferred.  Otherwise movies with gay characters will continue to remain hard to get made and then released!  This is our chance!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »
I'm planning to see it tomorrow!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2010, 11:51:10 pm »
I'm planning to see it tomorrow!

What did you think of it in the theatre?  Did it have more of an impact on you this time?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2010, 05:13:16 am »
Yes, I definitely caught more of the asides. Ewan's performance was much better when you could see his face more clearly. The crowd was mostly hetero couples or gays and their opposite sex friends. No one walked out. The movie was well attended.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2010, 12:11:14 pm »
David Edelstein applauds Jim Carrey's performance in this film!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »
David Edelstein applauds Jim Carrey's performance in this film!

Link?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2010, 07:14:24 pm »
Going tonight!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2010, 11:10:26 pm »

Well, I saw it tonight.  I still can't stand Jim Carrey, but the film wasn't completely dreadful. 

Hardly more than a dozen people in the theatre. 

I found the silly and farcical stuff too jarring, against the more serious parts of the film. 

Ewan McGregor was as understated as Carrey was overblown. 

Most (?all) of the kissing scenes were done in silhouette, interestingly.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2010, 12:58:16 am »
It's important that everyone goes and spends money to see this in the theatres.  Opening weekend would be preferred.  Otherwise movies with gay characters will continue to remain hard to get made and then released!  This is our chance!

I'm afraid at least one long-term gay rights activist would probably disagree with you, Eric. Mark Segal is the publisher of the Philadelphia Gay News and has been active in the gay rights movement since the 1970s. In his own column in this week's edition of the paper, he calls it "by far the worst LGBT film of 2010," and, worse, "the Amos and Andy film of gay people."

Segal describes Carrey's Steven Russell as "a stereotypical gay character we have not seen in decades" [apparently Segal has forgotten Jack in Will and Grace--J.W.]. He goes on:

"This fim plays to the worst stereotypes while pretending to be entertainment. It's disguised as a film for sophisticated individuals in large metropolitan urban cities. The problem is it is in wide release. One question: Would you want this film to be the first film about gays people see? Just imagine someone in Mississippi or Alabama watching the swishy thief--and, oh, let's not forget his ex-lover/kept boy who, to add a little sympathy to the story, dies of AIDS.

"Yes, this is the perfect film about gay men your right-wing Christian Republican wants to see. A swishy thief who either dies or ends up in prison."

He concludes, "A film with gay characters can still be trash. And that's where this film belongs, in a trashcan."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:51:55 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2010, 02:07:05 pm »
He does have a point there. ILYPM is a comedy and sometimes it crosses the line. I particularly didn't like the part where Steven discovers that "being a homosexual is very expensive." It was terribly funny and I had to laugh in spite of myself but couldn't they have said something like "being homosexual in South Florida" or just "living high in South Florida"...I think that would have worked just as well. Also, it was expensive because he was infatuated with his bf and just wanted to wow him with gifts and luxury. There are tons of places where being gay is no more expensive than being straight.

There were also places that were very insightful while being funny as well. I'm thinking about Steven's relationship with his ex-wife. She's a bible-thumper and Steven quickly learns how to assert himself without putting down her values...very well done. I also loved the way Steven's and Phillip's relationship unfolded in the prison environment, the stark contrasts.

Ewan's performance sometimes is overshadowed by Jim's (whose wouldn't be?) but on seeing the movie again I appreciated him more. He was never a cariature of a swishy gay guy. I particularly liked the way he acted when Steven threw him for a loop, as he did so many times. The scene when he realized Steven was not a lawyer after all was particularly good. I could go on and on about this movie, its strengths and flaws, but then I would be trespassing into spoiler territory!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2010, 02:13:37 pm »
Oh, I'd also like to add that the movie took efforts to explain that Steven growing up to be a con man without values was due to his upbringing in a family of doofuses, growing up in suburban Texas, and his feelings of abandonment as an adopted child. But after they established this the rest of the story overwhelms this and the point gets lost in the shuffle. So it would be easy for doofus audiences to draw the conclusion that Steven became a con man as a result of his gayness and make other silly assumptions. But, not to worry; it will never play in Peoria at the rate things are going, except thru Netflix.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2010, 03:29:57 pm »
I understand where Segal is coming from, but he has to remember that the movie is all from Russell's POV.  To him being gay is expensive.

And also Segal loses sight of who the movie's main character really is with that statement.  It's not Russell the gay man, it's Russell the thief and a conman.  His ethics are already in the toilet.  I wouldn't want anyone looking to him as some sort of role model on that score.

And Segal loses sight that this is a true story - for the dying lover scene, sorry, that's reality.  It's not put on the screen as a stereotype - that was a true and painful and impactful entry in Russell's life.

Segal seems to want reality left out.  Guess Russell should apologize to Segal for leading such a stereotypical life?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2010, 05:01:16 pm »
And also Segal loses sight of who the movie's main character really is with that statement.  It's not Russell the gay man, it's Russell the thief and a conman.

I don't believe he does. Twice just in the section of his commentary that I quoted, he refers to Carrey's character as a thief. A "swishy thief," to be sure, but he does refer to the character as a thief.

And Segal loses sight that this is a true story - for the dying lover scene, sorry, that's reality.  It's not put on the screen as a stereotype - that was a true and painful and impactful entry in Russell's life.

Good point. He does not address the "true story" aspect of the film, though whether he "lost sight" of it or deliberately did not address it so as not to dilute his criticism, I'm not in a position to say.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2010, 05:09:44 pm »
I also loved the way Steven's and Phillip's relationship unfolded in the prison environment, the stark contrasts.

Actually, Segal addressed that aspect of the film, too. I just chose not to go into it when I wrote last night. He thinks the prison environment aspect of the film comes off as way too positive:

"According to this film, life in prison is pretty good for gay guys, since we can buy most anything we want and fall in love."

As Del might point out, however, this ignores the fact that these guys did actually meet and fall in love in prison.

BTW, Mark Segal notwithstanding, I won't be seeing this film because I can't abide Jim Carrey!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2010, 08:43:42 pm »
I don't believe he does. Twice just in the section of his commentary that I quoted, he refers to Carrey's character as a thief. A "swishy thief," to be sure, but he does refer to the character as a thief.

But he failed to make the connection of Russell's occupation with his attitudes toward money and entitlement.

Actually, Segal addressed that aspect of the film, too. I just chose not to go into it when I wrote last night. He thinks the prison environment aspect of the film comes off as way too positive:

"According to this film, life in prison is pretty good for gay guys, since we can buy most anything we want and fall in love."

As Del might point out, however, this ignores the fact that these guys did actually meet and fall in love in prison.

BTW, Mark Segal notwithstanding, I won't be seeing this film because I can't abide Jim Carrey!

I think Segal was just trying to make a political point and has been watching too many cable prison shows.  Russell was never in the blocks with hard-timers.  His crimes were always white-collar.  There was some mingling of course, and the movie DOES address how scary life can be in prison - Russell notices Phillip when he's leaving the scene of a fight, Russell does pay someone to beat up others and there are also problems for gays in particular.  Ewan's character Phillip actually does state how he never goes out in the 'yard' because of what happens to men like him.  They don't have to show what men in prison do to men like him for me to believe it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2011, 06:15:26 am »
But he failed to make the connection of Russell's occupation with his attitudes toward money and entitlement.

No, I don't believe he did.

I think Segal was just trying to make a political point and has been watching too many cable prison shows.  Russell was never in the blocks with hard-timers.  His crimes were always white-collar.  There was some mingling of course, and the movie DOES address how scary life can be in prison - Russell notices Phillip when he's leaving the scene of a fight, Russell does pay someone to beat up others and there are also problems for gays in particular.  Ewan's character Phillip actually does state how he never goes out in the 'yard' because of what happens to men like him.  They don't have to show what men in prison do to men like him for me to believe it.

Of course he was trying tp make a political point.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »
This is not the masterpiece that Brokeback Mountain is.  This is not a gay rights movie or a "forward the gay cause" movie.  Not everyone will like this movie.   However, this movie got shelved and had a difficult time being released here in America because of it's gay content.  Which after you see the movie you see the gay aspect of it is really second nature to the fact that the movie is about him being a con man.   Doesn't seem like Segal got this though.  Seems he was looking for this to be another Brokeback Mountain.  Which it is not.  It's just a true story told.  It's a Dramedy, and a very well done one if you ask me.  But, due to the fact that it was shelved just because it had gay content in it is reason enough IMO to tell Hollywood not to do this again by buying a ticket to see it.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »
This is not the masterpiece that Brokeback Mountain is.  This is not a gay rights movie or a "forward the gay cause" movie.  Not everyone will like this movie.   However, this movie got shelved and had a difficult time being released here in America because of it's gay content.  Which after you see the movie you see the gay aspect of it is really second nature to the fact that the movie is about him being a con man.  Doesn't seem like Segal got this though.  Seems he was looking for this to be another Brokeback Mountain.  Which it is not.  It's just a true story told.  It's a Dramedy, and a very well done one if you ask me.  But, due to the fact that it was shelved just because it had gay content in it is reason enough IMO to tell Hollywood not to do this again by buying a ticket to see it.

Agree. Segal was looking for another tragedy that dealt with the problems of gay men in the world, showed gay men in a positive light, furthered the cause, etc., etc.  and he was disappointed with a true life story that was nothing like - or supposed to be like - Brokeback.  So he ripped it for being 'stereotypical' ignoring that it was a true story and that the story was basically about a criminal in love.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2011, 03:05:16 pm »
Agree. Segal was looking for another tragedy that dealt with the problems of gay men in the world, showed gay men in a positive light, furthered the cause, etc., etc.  and he was disappointed with a true life story that was nothing like - or supposed to be like - Brokeback.  So he ripped it for being 'stereotypical' ignoring that it was a true story and that the story was basically about a criminal in love.

Not to go all OT here, but we could probably devote an entire thread just to a discussion of how "true" movies that are "true stories" really are. ILYPM is not, after all, a documentary.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »
I don't read newspapers on line, so I wasn't sure about this, but I checked this out.

Here's the web address for the on-line version of the Philadelphia Gay News for anyone who is interested:

http://www.epgn.com

Click on the "Opinion" tab, and then click on "Mark My Words" to read Segal's entire commentary on ILYPM.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »
Not to go all OT here, but we could probably devote an entire thread just to a discussion of how "true" movies that are "true stories" really are. ILYPM is not, after all, a documentary.

Yes, but I also read the book.  The movie scenes pretty much holds true to what the book said as well.  I mean you could also argue that what Russell says in the book is also untrue, the author had his own doubts -

one of my favorite quotes from the book - I need to put it in the favorite book/movies quotes thread, or maybe I already have? - is when the sheriff of Harris county says "If Steven Russell tells you the sun is shining, I suggest you go outside and see for yourself if that big yellow thing that hurts your eyes is in the sky."

- so the author also checked records, interviewed members of law enforcement, Steven Russell's family, friends and Phillip Morris and pretty much corroborated most of what Russell claimed.

Not to say the movie wasn't Hollywoodized, obviously they always are in some way or other, but for the most part, it's pretty close.  I think Segal just wanted to air his grievances about gay movies in general and made ILYPM his scapegoat even though it doesn't really support his stance.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2011, 04:06:38 pm »
I don't read newspapers on line, so I wasn't sure about this, but I checked this out.

Here's the web address for the on-line version of the Philadelphia Gay News for anyone who is interested:

http://www.epgn.com

Click on the "Opinion" tab, and then click on "Mark My Words" to read Segal's entire commentary on ILYPM.

Thanks for the link.

Segal says ILYPM hit a 'sensitive' spot, but I think he means it hit a sensitive spot with him.  

GLAAD fully endorsed the movie.

IMO, this review is just Segal being unhappy that Steven Russell lived a 'swishy gay' lifestyle and that he got a movie made about his life.  It seems Segal is embarrassed and focusing on exactly what the movie makers didn't.  Segal is playing into that media phenomenon that we mentioned way back in this thread where minorities in movies start off being stereotypes, then move into the 'saintly' phase before moving into the 'reality' phase.  Segal apparently still wants gays to be in the 'saintly' phase so they can play well to Mid-America.  His problem is that in reality gays aren't any more saintly than anyone else.  True equality means to come across on the silver screen and in real life just as good or just as bad as everyone else without ramifications.  ILYPM jumped straight into the reality phase where the characters being gay wasn't what the movie was about.  I suggest Segal learn to deal with the natural course of things.  

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2011, 05:15:56 pm »

Segal says ILYPM hit a 'sensitive' spot, but I think he means it hit a sensitive spot with him.  

Bingo!   

MAJOR SPOILERS, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW:

I have another friend who saw the movie and was really upset about his "faking his death from AIDS for a few laughs".  I had to explain to him that that was not written in there "for laughs", but  it was what ACTUALLY REALLY happened, and made him take a look back and see that the movie was actually very serious about it.  He was fine with it once we talked.  But sure, seeing folks dying from AIDS can certainly strike a cord with people who were there in the '80's and saw all of their friends die.  It's kind of like how there were a few women on the IMDB boards who just could not get past the fact that "Jack and Ennis were cheating on their wives", no matter how you expained it to them.  That's what had perhaps happened to them in the past, and that's what  they brought to BBM and that's what they got out of it.

Again, I think Segal brought his hopes to ILYPM expecting some gay rights movement film like MILK or BBM or something, and because he did so, I'm sure that's why he was disappointed.