Author Topic: You Are All Right... And Wrong.... - A Message from Your Host  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
I wanted to bring an important thought into its own message for the benefit of all participants of this site.

Brokeback Mountain is an intentionally emotional and spiritual film for anyone who has chosen to devote such a significant amount of their life discussing it here.  There is both a short story and a movie which generally travel the same path from the 1960's to the 1980's.  There are some differences between the short story and the movie, but both received a gold seal of approval from Annie Proulx, who has had nothing but praise for the film adaptation.  If she liked the movie, then we should all appreciate that.

I cannot stress enough the theme of BetterMost, which comes straight from Ms. Proulx: "It is my feeling that a story is not finished until it is read, and that the reader finishes it through his or her life experience, prejudices, world view and thoughts." - Annie Proulx

Nothing about her statement regarding life experience, prejudices, world view and thoughts cannot also be applied to our individual interpretation of what we read in the story or saw on the screen.  Because of these differences, people will come away with different impressions about what something means.  Yet nothing says one impression is totally right... or totally wrong.  I think most people are at least on the same chapter, if not the same proverbial page when we discuss the meaning of Brokeback Mountain and the things within it.

I only ask that posters be respectful of the diversity of opinions held by other users.  You may not always agree with them, but that doesn't always make the original poster's comments invalid.  Just always remember that nobody, not even I, have all the answers, and that it is always very possible that one's own interpretation isn't the only valid one out there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 01:24:07 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: You Are All Right... And Wrong.... - A Message from Your Host
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 06:37:26 pm »
Thanks Phillip.

As someone who was positive that Ennis whispered "I'm sorry," in Tent Scene Two until I was convinced otherwise by repeated viewings, and as someone who early in my BBM career believed that Ennis was merely "Jack-sexual," until friends here opened my mind to the view that Our Boy is gay, I can vouch for the fact that what I am "sure" about can change.

Love to all,

Clarissa

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:39:44 pm »
Thanks Phillip but I just have to say ::)

not me,  nun-uh,  no way...I am an insufferable know it all! .... It's a dirty job but some one's got to do it!  ;)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:18:34 pm »
Thanks Phillip!  Excellent Point! 

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:19:06 pm »
Thanks Phillip but I just have to say ::)

not me,  nun-uh,  no way...I am an insufferable know it all! .... It's a dirty job but some one's got to do it!  ;)

Tell us something we don't know eh Vic?  LOL

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 02:24:58 pm »
Phillip-

When I've pulled every hair out of my very hairy head, I'm callin on you for a wig...

O0

Heathen

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:50:21 pm »
Hey Phillip,
              I agree totally , i think the movie hits a note with so many people because you transfer it to your own life , thinking of love , loss , regret etc. The short story is great and i feel once you`ve read it , you again go back and look at the movie in a new light. Everyone views both the book and movie different and it is great to read peoples thought, sometimes they bring something up that you hadn`t even thought of.

:) Kaz xx
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:17:26 pm »
Vic is that an MST3K reference??  Oh please oh please oh please oh pleeeeease....

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 11:28:51 pm »
TV's Frank!!!!   ;D
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 01:30:43 am »
TV's Frank!!!!   ;D
AAAhhh TV's Frank!  Actually though, it's from a movie they did that I was just watching in the recent collection, volume 9!  Can you guess what it is?

vkm91941

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 02:10:07 am »
Vic is that an MST3K reference??  Oh please oh please oh please oh pleeeeease....

Juan

LOL   ;) Yep and it's also used in HP*Prisoner of Azkaban.  Prof Snape asks Hermoine if she enjoys being an insufferable know-it-all. 

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 05:04:19 pm »
Hermione says that to Snape?  I must've missed it.  I was thinking of the MST ep called The Sinister Urge, it's a line that Gloria, the broad with the weird voice, says when she gets busted.  Too obscure I guess, lol.

Juan

gattaca

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 09:24:49 pm »
Good points all, Phillip - as a "tourist" (I'm not overly fond of that designation BTW but I guess it'll go away when I post enough), I have found BetterMost to be a very positive experience in the sort time I've been here. Kudos.  :)