Author Topic: Racial Insensitivity or Have We Gone Too Far?  (Read 6472 times)

injest

Racial Insensitivity or Have We Gone Too Far?
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:38:06 pm »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/071008dnmetofficialsspar.3b884727.html

A white councilmember referred to a backlog of paperwork as a 'black hole'.

the minority members took offense...demanded an apology.

He refused...

three days later they are still fighting about it...

::) ::) ::)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Racial Insensitivity or Have We Gone Too Far?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:01:29 pm »
I saw that on the news. There was no indication that the man who said the paperwork or whatever was becoming a "black hole" was being racially insensitive. The other man blew it out of proportion, and he did become racially insensitive while on the attack. Next time -- maybe use the word "abyss".  :P 8)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:02:02 pm »
Read about that.  Jeez, how embarrassing for us.

The man in question who got offended showed

1) his educational ignorance

or

2) his willingness to get instantly offended at anything and get some publicity

::) ::) ::)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:58:16 pm »
How about the government takes your children away because the mother did a tatoo on her child and that child's teacher washed it off and civil authorities placed the mother in jail ?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 09:46:47 pm »
I have claim to some Black heritage and I'm not at all offended by "black hole". Why should I be? It's perfectly obvious what this man meant by it. My bff Treena is Black and we've been talking about this. She's not offended either. In fact she thinks this story is totally ridiculous. So do I.

I believe in political correctness, but there's a limit for God sakes. This is over the top imo.  ::)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:34 am »
The whole PC thing has gone way too far now.I remember at the start of it, when in England you could no longer call a blackboard that, it had to be a chalk board. So it started a long time ago, as I can't remember the last time I saw a blackboard.
The next move was onto white boards with coloured pens. Why is balck offensive and white is not? These days I hardly dare open my mouth.It is all just too silly for words.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:38:18 am »
My sister got in trouble at work because she was talking to a mix of her coworkers (several races there) and said "Oh GIRL!! Look at the car!!" She wasn't even speaking directly to anyone but apparently you aren't even allowed to say girl generically... ::) ::)

GIRL!! Are you kidding me!! :laugh:

I say that all the time, even to my gay male friends. That is an extremely popular expression within many gay circles. So, we're not supposed to say it now? >:(

What on EARTH is wrong with the word "girl"? I don't get it?

Offline optom3

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:47:54 am »
GIRL!! Are you kidding me!! :laugh:

I say that all the time, even to my gay male friends. That is an extremely popular expression within many gay circles. So, we're not supposed to say it now? >:(

What on EARTH is wrong with the word "girl"? I don't get it?

I hear it all the time here at competitive events, as in, you go girl !!! What is worying is that I am allegedly "mad" bi polar and all that. So how bad is it when the "mad" woman thinks the rest of the world is nuts.
Reminds me of a phrase that was used a lot back in England, there's more out than in. That seems to be somewhat prophetic now, which is actually quite scary, as lots of these people are in positions of major power the world over.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 01:15:46 am »
I hear it all the time here at competitive events, as in, you go girl !!! What is worying is that I am allegedly "mad" bi polar and all that. So how bad is it when the "mad" woman thinks the rest of the world is nuts.
Reminds me of a phrase that was used a lot back in England, there's more out than in. That seems to be somewhat prophetic now, which is actually quite scary, as lots of these people are in positions of major power the world over.

Did you hear what they said on CNN the other day? They said the US government is developing machines that can read our THOUGHTS! Now that is REALLY scary. I hope they don't end up developing those machines. Our private thoughts is all we have left! >:(

God, I damn near soiled myself when I heard it! :(

Well I think it is viewed as the same as calling an African American man a 'boy'...but you need to look at the context. If I walk out and call "Hey, you boys better wash up, supper will be on the table in five minutes" that is ONE thing...if I said "Hey, BOY! Get off my porch!" that is different.

Getting excited about things that have nothing to do with oppression clouds real racism and demeans the struggles that a lot of people (of all races) have gone thru to achieve civil rights....

I think there are bigger problems in the world than a councilman calling something a 'black hole'... ::)

I got called the "N" word the other day - the Fourth of July in fact - and THAT offended me! My Mother always told me to NEVER tell anyone I had Black blood. She always said even one TINY DROP of Black blood is too much in this country. Of course that was back in the 60s and things have changed since then. And I suppose she also figured I had enough strikes against me being Native American and Catholic, and she didn't even know I would turn out gay yet! :laugh: But some people can see it I suppose, and the "N" word greatly offends me. And I suppose "boy" would too, especially since I am 45 and DEFINATELY NOT a boy anymore. I would know they meant it in a degrading manner. I've been called a "Prairie N*gger" too - an offensive word against Native Americans. And of course "fag" gets tossed around alot. I suppose we should all pay attention to PC, (the examples I just gave are good ones) but once again I say there's a limit! They can't say blackboard in England now? I think I've heard Alex talk about this. He tells me things all the time.

I can't imagine why anyone black or white would find the word "blackboard" offensive. What about black coffee? Maybe we should do away with the song "White Christmas" and "Black Magic" and.....

It's totally ridiculous! >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 01:38:02 am »
and I dont think there are a lot of people anywhere that don't have SOME blood from a LOT of different places...

and didn't we all come from common ancestors? whether you believe in evolution OR creationism!

I once heard that nearly 75% of Americans have at least trace amounts of Native American heritage in them. Some people don't know it though. This country is definately a mixture of different people. A melting pot. It's a shame we don't celebrate it. It's a wonderful thing imo. :)

Offline optom3

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:12 pm »
well instead of trying to ban the use of the word 'black' maybe we need to start trying to show that black is a nice color too? I mean, if you keep getting upset about the use of the color than it just feeds the idea that the color is bad...when a color is neutral...not good or bad.

It always makes me smile, when people call other ethnicities, black or brown or whatever with the intent of using it as an insult.They then head for the beach or tanning salon, to turn their white skin as brown as they can.People who are very white are referred to as pasty looking, not as a complement.So I guess there is really no acceptable colour any more.
My sister in law has the skin condition ventimiglia, where she is losing a lot of her brown pigment, she is Indian.She is very proud of her colour and is trying all sorts of make up to try and disguise all the white patches as they emerge.
It is all just a bit too much these days.
All I know is that since comming to Sarasota, I really miss being able to get a good Indian curry.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:27 am »
I tell my school kids that, no doubt, somewhere in the line, we all have black in us and we all have white in us and we're all just different shades. And they're like, yeah. LOL.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~