Author Topic: Going out on a limb here  (Read 3441 times)

vkm91941

Going out on a limb here
« on: May 30, 2006, 05:35:39 pm »
I am getting so tired of the folks who say you can only like this movie if you're a gay male or a female, regardless of orientation.   I just want to go on record here and now with my thoughts about Brokeback Mountain and why it resonated so strongly across all demographics.

The theme of LOVE is universal to all human beings regardless of race, creed or sexual orientation or practice.   You may like this movie if you love movies , if you have ever loved someone so much that you feel them walk into a room , If you have ever wanted someone that was not emotionally available to you , if you ever felt the sting of rejection , if you have ever coveted , if you have ever experience the overwhelming grief of losing your one true love and pretty much if you have the ability to look at a thing and see it for its truth.

In other words IF you are human, IF you have a heart, you can like this movie..NO you can LOVE this movie
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 05:38:22 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Going out on a limb here
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 05:37:40 pm »
Bravo!!! *thunderous applause* Very eloquently put...
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 05:52:57 pm »
In the English language, we use the word "LOVE" for many different kinds of love.

In Greek, there are 4 kinds of love.

1) phileo - human love which is conditonal and subject to change

2) agape - unconditional love which never changes

3) storge - love expressed with natural affection - holding, hugging, kissing

4) eros - love expressed through sexual activity

If you combine all of the above, in your relationship with another person, you have perfect love.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 08:56:58 pm »
Thank you for bringing this up Vic...I believe that I am one of the few straight males on the board.  I have been asked about why I like BBM because I'm straight countless times!  And this pretty much sums it up...

Good cinema knows no orientation...and BBM just happens to be GREAT cinema!  I love BBM because of its story...not its subject matter!  Its a great film....plain and simple....

Straight, gay, bi etc...you can still enjoy this film!  It doesn't really matter! 

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:05:05 am »
I am getting so tired of the folks who say you can only like this movie if you're a gay male or a female, regardless of orientation.   I just want to go on record here and now with my thoughts about Brokeback Mountain and why it resonated so strongly across all demographics.

The theme of LOVE is universal to all human beings regardless of race, creed or sexual orientation or practice.   You may like this movie if you love movies , if you have ever loved someone so much that you feel them walk into a room , If you have ever wanted someone that was not emotionally available to you , if you ever felt the sting of rejection , if you have ever coveted , if you have ever experience the overwhelming grief of losing your one true love and pretty much if you have the ability to look at a thing and see it for its truth.

In other words IF you are human, IF you have a heart, you can like this movie..NO you can LOVE this movie

Besides the topics, this movie is well done, well acted and well written. The photography is beautiful, some of the sceneries are breathtaking. I also liked the fact that people from different cultures and countries were part of the production team: Ang Lee from Taiwan, Rodrigo Prieto from Mexico; Gustavo Santaolalla from Argentina; Heath Ledger from Australia; Pierre Tremblay from Canada, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams, Anne Hathawat etc from US and so on. I'm sure everyone contributed with different ideas and points of view during the film making. It probably made the final product more interesting.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:52:34 am »
Well, in regard to all of the people involved with the production of the movie about two ranch-boy/cowboys, the USA is what is more like a stew pot with flavors from all kinds of different cultures mixed in.

People have referred to the USA as a "Melting Pot;" but, that is not true. Oh, some people want everyone to become Eastern-European-American WHITE like the Europeans wanted to make Native Americans WHITE.

Oh, one guy from England whom I don't want to forget is Bernie Taupin, the man who wrote the lyrics to "A Love That Will Never Grow Old." Taupin is from England; but, he owns a ranch in California and he is a stock producer who provides bulls to be ridden in Professional Bull Riders Rodeo events when they are held in the western USA states.

Oh, Taupin was congratulated in the March 2006 Issue of Pro Bull Rider Magazine for his Golden Globe award, Best Original Song.