Author Topic: The E-Book Files  (Read 169767 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
The E-Book Files
« on: July 13, 2008, 11:42:20 am »
I bought a Kindle a few months ago and I have to say, I love this little gadget. For those who aren't familiar, the Kindle is an ebook reader put out by amazon.com. You can read more about it here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FI73MA

One great thing about the Kindle is that it has me reading again, reading like I used to in the old days. I take it with me everywhere and when I have a spare second, I flip it on. Whether I am reading the New York Times (I have a daily subscription) or a book, it's right there, in my hand. It's great.

I decided to start this thread to share some of the good stuff I have been reading. Louise has a Kindle, too, so hopefully she'll share some of her favorites. And if others have great ebooks to recommend, please join in!

Now, while I have a Kindle and that is how I have been reading, there are other readers out there. People also read ebooks on their PDAs, Smartphones and other portable devices. The new 3G iPhone will has a reader available. So, if you are interested in these books, you are not limited to a Kindle.

And if you don't own any of these devices, you can read on your PC. Many of these books are available in PDF format (for which you need Acrobat Reader; it's free: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html?promoid=BUIGO)

Another option is to get books in Mobipocket format; to read those, you need the Mobipocket reader for your PC (also free: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/ProductDetailsReader.asp)

I know alot of readers on this board are used to LiveJournal stories, so ebooks really aren't any different. So, please join in with your recommendations and reviews. I look forward to a lively discussion!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The E-Book Files
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:53:09 am »
First up, The Erotic Etudes Opus VI by E. L. van Hine

Synopsis:

Robert Schumann, the Romantic composer, was a vibrant and complex man. Schumann's public biography was carefully cleansed by his wife, his survivors, and his friends, but his own letters and diaries give indication of a series of passionate affairs with both sexes that sparked the creative outpouring of music that defined his artistic life. It is from these sources that author E. L. van Hine has imagined an erotic and inspired story of a remarkable, talented man.

The Erotic Etudes Opus VI recreates many of Schumann's intimate relationships in a series of 18 interlocking stories that span 40 years of his life, beginning in 1834 when he was at the center of both controversy and publicity in Leipzig, Germany. Arranged thematically and told in the first person, The Erotic Etudes Opus VI parallels the 18 section piano work, 'The Symphonic Etudes,' which was published in 1837 and dedicated to one of Schumann's intimate friends. Compelling and immensely readable.

Review:

I love this book--I love it so much I started a publishing imprint to turn it into an ebook! It is very romantic and heart-breakingly sad. The book had a wonderful review here:

http://speakitsname.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/review-the-erotic-etudes-opus-vi-by-el-hine/

which probably is more eloquent than I can be.

To buy:

The Kindle version is at amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019R0YK4

At Mobipocket you can find it here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/eBookDetails.asp?BookID=83150

Enjoy!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:03:10 pm »
My next offering, also published by Bristlecone Pine Press:

L. A. Heat by P. A. Brown

Synopsis: In L.A. Heat, a serial killer is on the loose in Los Angeles and he's targeting gay men. LAPD Detective David Laine--himself gay but deeply closeted--is assigned to the case with his homophobic partner, Martinez Diego. The nature of the crimes and the brutalization of the victims bring disturbing emotions to the surface for David. Laine and his partner have a suspect: Christopher Bellamere--an openly gay California "golden boy" who crossed paths with two of the victims before their deaths. But when cop and suspect meet, an immediate attraction complicates the case and David Laine's very private life. As David works to find the killer--and Chris works to clear his name--they both seek to understand the complex feelings that are growing between them. Fast-paced and intricately plotted, L.A. Heat, author P.A. Brown's debut novel, will have you on the edge of your seat right until the last page is turned.

Review: This is a great book for the summer. Fast-paced and easy to read, I was flipping the pages as fast as I could read. I actually figured out who the killer was (unusual for me, I never figure out mysteries!) but there was an unusual twist that took me by surprise. This is one of those books that left me wanting to know more about the main characters--and I can report that the author is hard at work on a sequel.

Another review:

http://sharrow.wordpress.com/2008/07/13/la-heat-by-pa-brown/#comment-258

To buy:

From amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CC8Q7Y

From Mobipocket: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/eBookDetails.asp?BookID=89507
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:50:09 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:10:38 pm »
Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon

http://www.fictionwise.com/mindwise/books/big_Lanyon-AEMysteries.jpg

Synopsis: Relationships can be murder. Bookseller and mystery author Adrien English is looking for love in all the wrong places--and, according to hot and handsome LAPD detective Jake Riordan, it's liable to get him killed.

Review: This is two books in one: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing. More fun summer reading...entertaining and fast. Adrien is a very likable guy; the book is written from his POV. He's a bit of a sleuth and working to solve the mystery of who killed his friend while Det. Riordan is doing the same. There isn't too much romance in the first book...that comes along in book no. 2...which I'll be honest, had me panting for more!

To buy:

Fictionwise: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook67894.htm

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:15 pm »
Leslie, I am so glad you started this thread!  Much easier for me to keep track of things here than trying to keep up with a zillion little pieces of paper where I scribble your recommendations.

PS - I also loved The Erotic Etudes!
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:00:19 am »
Thanks, Bel!

I got my Kindle around the time of the raid of the YFZ (Yearning for Zion) ranch in in Texas. That news event got me started on reading FLDS memoirs and I buzzed through three in a row:

Escape by Laura Palmer
Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer
Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall (with Lisa Pulitzer)

They each had a unique twist. By reading all three, I did have a good sense of the FLDS and what is going on on the ranch!

Irene Spencer (Shattered Dreams) was married--or "placed" to use their terminology--in 1953. Her story covers the period from 1953-1980. In the last part of the book, she was trying to leave the cult and her husband when he was killed in an auto accident. Her husband and his brothers sounded like a bunch of dreadful guys. I wish she had written more about the brothers but I decided at the end that she probably didn't know much--that was the whole strategy. Keep the women in the dark.

Laura Palmer (Escape) was married to Merril Jessop in 1986. He's the man who is running the YFZ ranch at present. She escaped from the cult with her children in 2003. Her "claim to fame" is to be the first woman who successfully sued for custody of her children. Most women who manage to get away from the FLDS are forced to leave their children behind.

Lissa Wall (Stolen Innocence) was "placed" with her husband when she was 14. She also managed to escape just recently. She brought a suit against Warren Jeffs (the "prophet") as an accomplice to rape and that's the reason he is now in jail. Her former husband is going to be tried on rape charges soon.

All in all, an interesting group of books. They are all available in print and Kindle versions at Amazon.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:06:07 am »
After all the Mormon stuff, I needed something light....LOL

All I Could Bare: My Life in the Strip Clubs of Gay Washington, DC by Craig Seymour

This is one of those books that has a really great title to catch your attention. The book was good--not great--but very easy and fast reading. The author became a journalist and there was a long tedious section about how he interviewed a bunch of famous rock stars. I felt like I was supposed to be impressed that he had met Janet Jackson. Okay, so...

The strip club part was interesting although I would have liked a little more background and history. He skimmed over that. The clubs are all gone now; they were torn down when they built the new baseball field (for the Senators).

I'd give this 2.5 stars (out of 4).

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 03:11:21 pm »
Leslie, I am so glad you started this thread!  Much easier for me to keep track of things here than trying to keep up with a zillion little pieces of paper where I scribble your recommendations.

PS - I also loved The Erotic Etudes!

oooh! a positive review!  Can I talk you into writing an Amazon.com review?  I only have a few reviews there and there are no recent ones. I would love to have a new review!

http://www.amazon.com/Erotic-Etudes-E-L-van-Hine/dp/1411652746/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216321600&sr=8-1
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:34:31 pm »
And if you write one, Bel, can you post it on the Kindle page, too? In the amazon catalog, the two entries (print and ebook) don't connect to each other.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Erotic-%C3%89tudes-Opus-VI/dp/B0019R0YK4

Thanks in advance,

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 08:23:15 am »
from Time Magazine:

Wednesday, Jul. 09, 2008
Amazon Kindle Sales on the Rise?
By Josh Quittner

Is the Kindle starting to catch fire with consumers? From the Department of Inscrutable Data Points comes word that e-book sales for Amazon's Kindle — its digital reading device-have doubled during the past two months. Kind of, sort of, maybe.

According to a source at Amazon, "on a title-by-title basis, of the 130,000 titles available on Kindle and in physical form, Kindle sales now make up over 12% of sales for those titles." Amazon is notoriously tight lipped about sales data, and the new line of business that the Kindle represents for the online retail powerhouse has been especially frustrating for analysts and media to parse. At a technology trade conference in May, CEO Jeff Bezos said that Kindle sales accounted for 6% of book titles sold for the Kindle and in print. So Amazon appears to be selling more e-books.

Since we're dealing with percentages rather than unit sales, it's impossible to say whether we're talking about a ton of books, or a modest number. But it's fairly certain that, given the enormous number of new books that Amazon sells, and the fact that many if not most are also simultaneously released as Kindle e-books, we're talking about a good sign for Amazon.

A couple of things could explain the uptick. The Kindle quickly sold out shortly after it was unveiled on Amazon at the end of 2007. However, the company recently cranked up supply to meet demand, and cut the price at the end of May from $399 to $359. Some analysts estimate Kindle sales at around 55,000 a month. At the same time, the Kindle is quirkier than your average gadget, and consumers are learning how to use it. It's possible that as Kindle owners warm up to the gadget — and as the library of titles rapidly grows — they increase the rate of their purchases. We now return you to more scrutable data points...

* Find this article at:
    * http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1821451,00.html