Author Topic: The E-Book Files  (Read 169756 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The E-Book Files
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 02:32:21 pm »
The Amazon Kindle 2 dropped in price to $259. Plus, Amazon has announced an international Kindle ($279). It will work in many countries in Europe, including Belgium and Germany (Fabienne and Chrissi, are you taking note of this?) but unfortunately, not in Canada at the present moment.

Details here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015T963C/ref=sv_kinc_0

L

Well, what can I say?

Ever since you introduced me to your kindle over a year ago, I've wanted one. And seeing it again in september only made me want one more. *inserts green smiley*  ;D
I thought if I wait long enough, a kindle will be available in Europe...someday.

But in the end, I gave up and ordered a Sony e-reader, pocket version. I thought Amazon was dragging its heels and the international kindle would never happen. I even had to get my reader in the UK via ebay, because the sony reader is not even available here in this 'poky little place' called Belgium.

And two days after I ordered it......

amazon decided to launch the kindle worldwide. AAAArrrrgggghhhhh

Ah, well. My reader arrived a couple of days ago and I'm having lots of fun with it. It's really easy to use. And now, with the help of a small lamp, I can read during my sleepless nights without waking my husband.

I've reread the LA stories by PA Brown you gave me Leslie. Great stories! It was fun spending two days with David en Chriss.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »
While I was considering whether to buy an e-reader or not, I never even once considered a Kindle. Even if they had been available in Europe at the time.

With a Kindle you're totally dependent on Amazon, you can only read books sold by them.
If you want to transfer e g a Word file (BBMfic!), you have to mail it to Amazon, and they charge you for transferring it to your Kindle.

I'm very happy with my Sony e-reader, it's easy to use, and I can transfer anything I like onto it.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2009, 03:10:48 pm »
I was very impressed with the kindle when Leslie showed it to me. Especially the wireless feature. You can even read newspapers (The New York Times) on it.

But you're right about the Sony reader being more 'open'. It was one of the things that finally made me decide to get one. I have transferred a few of my favorite fics to my reader. It's all very easy to do but I thought that maybe I should enlarge the letter type in my original word document. I thought the letters on the reader were quite small, even after using the enlarge button.

Do you have any experience with this? What font do you use in your word docs?
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2009, 03:26:52 pm »
I've enlarged some fics to font size 14, I think that works quite well

And, I was told to save the Word file as an RTF instead of .doc.
Don't know why really, it's supposed to be more stable or something.

I couldn't get them to ship the reader outside UK either, so an English brokie friend
was nice enough to order and pay it for me, and when it arrived to him, it was just a few
days before my trip to the US and Canada, so we decided he send it to me there, cos I wanted it as
quick as possible!!! 

;D :laugh:

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2009, 03:44:54 pm »
Congratulations, NavyVet! Report back and let us know how you like it when it arrives.

Taming Groomzilla is for sale at All Romance. Why don't you buy a copy for your trip? A funny light read and it is raising money for a good cause!

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-taminggroomzilla-80920-150.html

L

I have placed it on my wish list there - it sounds like a winner!
 8)
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2009, 04:20:35 pm »
While I was considering whether to buy an e-reader or not, I never even once considered a Kindle. Even if they had been available in Europe at the time.

With a Kindle you're totally dependent on Amazon, you can only read books sold by them.

That's not correct. You can get books from many sources, both paid and free. I've been buying quite a few books from All Romance lately. They can send the books to your Kindle (if you want) or just download the file and transfer with the USB cable. Sites like Feedbooks have free books which also work on the Kindle.

If you want to transfer e g a Word file (BBMfic!), you have to mail it to Amazon, and they charge you for transferring it to your Kindle.

They charge 15 cents for that. But you can also convert a Word doc to a .txt file and just transfer to the Kindle with the USB cable. You can also convert the Word doc with free software such as Mobipocket creator.

I'm very happy with my Sony e-reader, it's easy to use, and I can transfer anything I like onto it.

That's great -- I'm glad you like it.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2009, 04:23:59 pm »

I've reread the LA stories by PA Brown you gave me Leslie. Great stories! It was fun spending two days with David en Chriss.

Yes, they are great to spend some time with!

Here's one of my most favorite books of the year....

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-falsecolors-79237-145.html

Will that format work on your Sony?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2009, 04:24:23 pm »
I have placed it on my wish list there - it sounds like a winner!
 8)

I hope you enjoy it!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »
That's not correct. You can get books from many sources, both paid and free. I've been buying quite a few books from All Romance lately. They can send the books to your Kindle (if you want) or just download the file and transfer with the USB cable. Sites like Feedbooks have free books which also work on the Kindle.

They charge 15 cents for that. But you can also convert a Word doc to a .txt file and just transfer to the Kindle with the USB cable. You can also convert the Word doc with free software such as Mobipocket creator.

That's great -- I'm glad you like it.

L

I didn't know there were other ways to transfer to a Kindle than through Amazon.
So I've been misinformed..... :-\

That's why I was so negative to the Kindle, I thought it made you dependent on Amazon.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2009, 06:23:15 pm »
I didn't know there were other ways to transfer to a Kindle than through Amazon.
So I've been misinformed..... :-\

That's why I was so negative to the Kindle, I thought it made you dependent on Amazon.

Unfortunately, you are not the only person who had that misperception...

Thanks for enlightening me!

My pleasure!