Author Topic: If Heath get a posthumous Oscar, would that redeem the Academy?  (Read 16872 times)

retropian

I haven't watched the Oscars since, well you know. So if Heath is nominated for his turn as The Joker in The Dark Knight would I watch? Would you? If he actually won for Best Supporting Actor, would that redeem the Academy? I don't know. ??? What do you think? I believe he has a decent chance at being nominated and winning.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: If Heath get a posthumous Oscar, would that redeem the Academy?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:26 am »
I haven't watched the Oscars since, well you know. So if Heath is nominated for his turn as The Joker in The Dark Knight would I watch? Would you? If he actually won for Best Supporting Actor, would that redeem the Academy? I don't know. ??? What do you think? I believe he has a decent chance at being nominated and winning.

You might watch.
I would watch.
NO, IMO it would not redeem them -- he should have gotten it for Ennis.
I still want him to get it for the Joker, and if his performance is all that's been said it is -- he will deserve it because I doubt anyone else will come close to his talent.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:54:35 am »
If he actually won for Best Supporting Actor, would that redeem the Academy?

No. Too late.
Heath should have gotten it for Ennis and BBM should have gotten the Best Picture award period.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:23:51 am »

No. Too late.
Heath should have gotten it for Ennis and BBM should have gotten the Best Picture award period.

My sentiments exactly.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:29:24 am »
the academy's blunders go way back : the wonder if anyone gives any serious attention to the awards -

"Citizen Kane" didn't win best picture !

"Double Indemnity" didn't win best picture!

"2001: A Space Odyssey" didn't win best picture!

and then the clunkers that won :

Liz Taylor for her execrable performance in "Butterfield 8" - oh come on!

"Gladiator" deserved to win any awards at all ?

"Going My Way" deserved an award?

So, its all inside Hollywood politics and marketing, somebody from Focus Features didn't grease the right palm and so they ignored BM for best pic and Heath Ledger's performance.

Maybe posthumously he will win an award for supporting player, posthumous Oscars have been handed out at least once before.

Offline optom3

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:45:22 am »
Too little too late. I will never watch the Oscars again having realised that you can vote on a film you haven't even watched.  Can they predict this weeks lottery numbers as well ??
Heath and BBM should have received the rewards they deserved at the time.From what I am reading TDK in itself is not an amazing film, it is Heath who is jaw droppingly good.
Both BBM and Heath were good.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:46:14 pm »
I will never watch the Oscars again having realised that you can vote on a film you haven't even watched

that is a good point, wasn't it Tony Curtis who boasted that he did not watch BM before his vote? I was disappointed in him for saying that, Curtis is very good in "The Sweet Smell of Success", but I can't quite look at him the same way now.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:39:48 pm »
Too little too late.

That about sums it up perfectly.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:08:38 pm »

No. Too late.

These are my exact sentiments, surely.

I think it would not redeem the Academy, on the contrary it would solidify my opinion of them.

Not rewarding Heath's beautiful Ennis, a veritable acting miracle, a whole human life presented over two hours - and then rewarding this?!? I shudder at the very thought. But money talks, so one never knows.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:50:13 pm »

No. Too late.

Agreed!

These are my exact sentiments, surely.

I think it would not redeem the Academy, on the contrary it would solidify my opinion of them.

Not rewarding Heath's beautiful Ennis, a veritable acting miracle, a whole human life presented over two hours - and then rewarding this?!? I shudder at the very thought. But money talks, so one never knows.

That's beautiful Mikaela.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'