Author Topic: Top 25 Things Disappearing From America  (Read 11372 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Top 25 Things Disappearing From America
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:49:52 pm »
This is very interesting, but I was sorry to hear about the wild horses. And Drive-In theaters were a lot of fun to go to when I was a kid. I can't remember the last time I even saw a drive-in theater around here. 10 years? Maybe more.

http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25-things-vanishing-from-america?photo=8&icid=200100397x1206016747x1200310509

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Top 25 Things Disappearing From America
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:22:25 pm »
I've got a personal check, my mom's cousin in Seattle sent it to me. It's $150. It's so expensive to cash it in Sweden that $150 hardly covers the cost.....

I think I'll frame it. Next time she comes she'll get a good laugh  :laugh:

There aren't any personal checks in Sweden anymore, hasn't been for many years. Only cards. And the Internet Bank. Maybe that's progress......
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:35:45 pm »
That is interesting, David - and some of it is sad, too.

Drive-in movies were fun as a kid.  We didn't get to go often, but it was a real treat when we did.  We wore our pajamas and brought our pillows! 

My favorite tree in our front yard fell victim to the emerald ash borer and had to be cut down a few years ago.   :( 

I wrote a "handwritten" letter of condolence just last week.  When I send my out of state relatives birthday cards, I still always include a handwritten note.

And I'm on dial-up right now!   :laugh:

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:01:44 pm »
That is interesting, David - and some of it is sad, too.

Drive-in movies were fun as a kid.  We didn't get to go often, but it was a real treat when we did.  We wore our pajamas and brought our pillows! 

My favorite tree in our front yard fell victim to the emerald ash borer and had to be cut down a few years ago.   :( 

I wrote a "handwritten" letter of condolence just last week.  When I send my out of state relatives birthday cards, I still always include a handwritten note.

And I'm on dial-up right now!   :laugh:

Marie

Another tree we rarely see anymore is the Dutch Elm. Remember when they were being attacked by that parasite? We used to have elm trees everywhere around here, but not anymore.

I remember seeing lots of birch trees here too. Their bark looked like paper. Suddenly they disappeared. Dad said it was because the climate here is a bit too warm for them and that's why they disappeared. They are growing all over the place up in Michigan. But I also remember seeing a few birch trees in Evansville when I lived there, and it's warmer down there than it is here. So I don't know. :-\

Yeah, we sometimes went to the drive-in with our pajamas and pillows too. And blankets! Once we were a bit older Mom and Dad didn't make us do that anymore. We always brought lawn chairs and we'd sit out in front of the car to watch the movies. And the Pendleton Pike drive-in had a small amusement park, so it was a lot of fun to get there early so we could ride on the rides. :)

pnwDUDE

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:19 pm »
I was at the fire hall one day, and one of our new 19 year old volunteers wanted to use the phone. I told him there was one he could use out in the truck bay. He comes back ten minutes later, and said, "Wow, I've never had to dial a phone before." It took me a few seconds to understand what he ment--he'd never used a rotary-dial phone.

Brad

injest

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:33 pm »
I was at the fire hall one day, and one of our new 19 year old volunteers wanted to use the phone. I told him there was one he could use out in the truck bay. He comes back ten minutes later, and said, "Wow, I've never had to dial a phone before." It took me a few seconds to understand what he ment--he'd never used a rotary-dial phone.

Brad

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I remember getting into trouble with my aunt right after she got the first in home phone we had ever seen...back then you could dial your own number, hang up fast and it would ring! We did it over and over...we were a simple lot and easily entertained!  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I remember getting into trouble with my aunt right after she got the first in home phone we had ever seen...back then you could dial your own number, hang up fast and it would ring! We did it over and over...we were a simple lot and easily entertained!  :laugh:

I remember that! I used to prank Mom and Dad with that all the time!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:27:19 pm »
I also remember sitting down on the floor one day playing with the telephone and I dialed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2, 3... (etc). I can't remember where or what I called, but I got in BIG trouble for it the following month when my parents got the phone bill. I never did it again.  :P

They always told me NOT to play with the phone because they were afraid I'd call China. :laugh:

injest

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:32:36 pm »
I also remember sitting down on the floor one day playing with the telephone and I dialed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2, 3... (etc). I can't remember where or what I called, but I got in BIG trouble for it the following month when my parents got the phone bill. I never did it again.  :P

They always told me NOT to play with the phone because they were afraid I'd call China. :laugh:

LOL!!

me too!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57:19 pm »
We might be going to drive in during the eurobrokies gathering!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/