Author Topic: Top 25 Things Disappearing From America  (Read 11380 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Top 25 Things Disappearing From America
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:49:52 pm »
This is very interesting, but I was sorry to hear about the wild horses. And Drive-In theaters were a lot of fun to go to when I was a kid. I can't remember the last time I even saw a drive-in theater around here. 10 years? Maybe more.

http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25-things-vanishing-from-america?photo=8&icid=200100397x1206016747x1200310509

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Top 25 Things Disappearing From America
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:22:25 pm »
I've got a personal check, my mom's cousin in Seattle sent it to me. It's $150. It's so expensive to cash it in Sweden that $150 hardly covers the cost.....

I think I'll frame it. Next time she comes she'll get a good laugh  :laugh:

There aren't any personal checks in Sweden anymore, hasn't been for many years. Only cards. And the Internet Bank. Maybe that's progress......
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:35:45 pm »
That is interesting, David - and some of it is sad, too.

Drive-in movies were fun as a kid.  We didn't get to go often, but it was a real treat when we did.  We wore our pajamas and brought our pillows! 

My favorite tree in our front yard fell victim to the emerald ash borer and had to be cut down a few years ago.   :( 

I wrote a "handwritten" letter of condolence just last week.  When I send my out of state relatives birthday cards, I still always include a handwritten note.

And I'm on dial-up right now!   :laugh:

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:01:44 pm »
That is interesting, David - and some of it is sad, too.

Drive-in movies were fun as a kid.  We didn't get to go often, but it was a real treat when we did.  We wore our pajamas and brought our pillows! 

My favorite tree in our front yard fell victim to the emerald ash borer and had to be cut down a few years ago.   :( 

I wrote a "handwritten" letter of condolence just last week.  When I send my out of state relatives birthday cards, I still always include a handwritten note.

And I'm on dial-up right now!   :laugh:

Marie

Another tree we rarely see anymore is the Dutch Elm. Remember when they were being attacked by that parasite? We used to have elm trees everywhere around here, but not anymore.

I remember seeing lots of birch trees here too. Their bark looked like paper. Suddenly they disappeared. Dad said it was because the climate here is a bit too warm for them and that's why they disappeared. They are growing all over the place up in Michigan. But I also remember seeing a few birch trees in Evansville when I lived there, and it's warmer down there than it is here. So I don't know. :-\

Yeah, we sometimes went to the drive-in with our pajamas and pillows too. And blankets! Once we were a bit older Mom and Dad didn't make us do that anymore. We always brought lawn chairs and we'd sit out in front of the car to watch the movies. And the Pendleton Pike drive-in had a small amusement park, so it was a lot of fun to get there early so we could ride on the rides. :)

pnwDUDE

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:19 pm »
I was at the fire hall one day, and one of our new 19 year old volunteers wanted to use the phone. I told him there was one he could use out in the truck bay. He comes back ten minutes later, and said, "Wow, I've never had to dial a phone before." It took me a few seconds to understand what he ment--he'd never used a rotary-dial phone.

Brad

injest

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:33 pm »
I was at the fire hall one day, and one of our new 19 year old volunteers wanted to use the phone. I told him there was one he could use out in the truck bay. He comes back ten minutes later, and said, "Wow, I've never had to dial a phone before." It took me a few seconds to understand what he ment--he'd never used a rotary-dial phone.

Brad

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I remember getting into trouble with my aunt right after she got the first in home phone we had ever seen...back then you could dial your own number, hang up fast and it would ring! We did it over and over...we were a simple lot and easily entertained!  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »

I remember getting into trouble with my aunt right after she got the first in home phone we had ever seen...back then you could dial your own number, hang up fast and it would ring! We did it over and over...we were a simple lot and easily entertained!  :laugh:

I remember that! I used to prank Mom and Dad with that all the time!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:27:19 pm »
I also remember sitting down on the floor one day playing with the telephone and I dialed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2, 3... (etc). I can't remember where or what I called, but I got in BIG trouble for it the following month when my parents got the phone bill. I never did it again.  :P

They always told me NOT to play with the phone because they were afraid I'd call China. :laugh:

injest

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:32:36 pm »
I also remember sitting down on the floor one day playing with the telephone and I dialed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2, 3... (etc). I can't remember where or what I called, but I got in BIG trouble for it the following month when my parents got the phone bill. I never did it again.  :P

They always told me NOT to play with the phone because they were afraid I'd call China. :laugh:

LOL!!

me too!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57:19 pm »
We might be going to drive in during the eurobrokies gathering!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 04:17:03 pm »

I don't remember that, but I remember party-line telephones.  ::)

And telephone "numbers" that had letters in them: EX5-5555.

And when we went to visit my grandmother, if my mother wanted to telephone my aunt, whose phone number was in the same exchange as my grandmother's, she only had to dial the last four digits of the number.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 04:33:40 pm »
We might be going to drive in during the eurobrokies gathering!

You still have drive-ins in Europe? You're lucky Kelda. Drive-ins are quickly disappearing over here. At least they are in my part of the country. I miss them. They were a lot of fun. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 04:44:58 pm »
The last time I was at a drive-in was when I lived in Evansville. Starlite Drive-in was about a 15 minute drive from my house, across the river in Henderson, Kentucky. It was located way out in the country on highway 60, with lots of woods all around it. It was beautiful. I think we saw Con-Air and Casper the last time I was there. I don't know if Starlite is still open or not.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 04:45:51 pm »
Id never even seen a drive in i didnt think they existed in europe but apparently there is one in Brussels.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 04:49:07 pm »
Id never even seen a drive in i didnt think they existed in europe but apparently there is one in Brussels.

Well I hope you all decide to go to the drive-in! You'd have lots of fun... especially if you go with a bunch of brokies!! :D

There's something magical about sitting outside under the night sky watching a movie with your friends. I know that probably sounds a bit corny, but it's true. I really do miss those drive-ins.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:01 am »
You still have drive-ins in Europe?

We barely had them to begin with. I don't know about other countries, but drive-in theatres always were a rarity in Germany. I just checked Wikipedia, it says at their hayday there were about two dozens drive-ins in West Germany (60 million people), and only one in East Germany (twenty million people).

Today, there are only five drive-ins left in West Germany, but oddly they opened new ones in East Germany after the iron curtain fell, and some of them are still in use. Most people in Germany have never been to a drive-in theater and know them only from US movies. I guess the movies are the reason they became (relatively) popular in East Germany after the iron curtain fell. Everything which was percieved as typical West (meaning the Western world) or American was highly desirable back then.

So even if drive-ins are on the decline in the US, I bet you still have much, much more of them than we have.

We were lucky and had a drive-in in the next bigger city. Of course my parents never-ever would have taken their kid anywhere in the evening (what a shocking thought ;D). But when I was a teenager, we went on our own. I remember the bad sound of the loudspeaker you would hang into your window.  And I remember making-out in the backseat more than any movie :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 09:58:26 pm »
I don't suppose anybody will miss outhouses. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:14:13 pm »
There are still some party telephone lines in the USA! But now rare ?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 10:43:31 pm »
My grandmother had a party line. I remember picking up the phone and eavesdropping on the other party's calls. My grandma would get REALLY mad when she caught me doing it! She could tell who the incoming call was for, by the way the phone rang. It rang differently for each party.

And I might be telling my age here, but when I was VERY young, our phone number was Lincoln 5-1126. When I was 5 or 6 years old, it changed to 545-1126.

And grandma's was something like (long distance operator) Bramble #-#### Ring 2. I don't remember her full phone number anymore, just the Bramble and ring 2 parts. lol

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 10:58:53 am »
I don't suppose anybody will miss outhouses. ...  8)

ya think?  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline McNell

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 07:24:35 pm »
Ponderosa restaurants....when I was a kid that was the place to go...don't see them anymore...;D

JudgeHolden

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 08:09:29 pm »
Horny toads. They were everywhere when I was a kid, we called 'em dragon babies.They secreted some substance from their eyes that looked like blood, which freaked girls out, so right there was guaranteed entertainment value, put one in your sisters jewelery box and wait for the scream.

I dont know when I last saw one. Its not down to global warming or development, as they like hot weather and theres still plenty of empty remote areas of the SW. Whatever happened to those horny toads.

Also old-fashioned storm cellars, just a dugout in the bottom of the yard with two doors and a ladder or steps. They were dark, scary holes (and usually home to centipededs, scorpions and horny toads) so I guess thats why they fell out of fashion, but in tornado country, where else do you go, If you go in the basement, your liable to have the house fall in on you if you get hit, yet about the only place I see those storm cellars is on older properties. I recall when we lived in base housing, each neighborhood had a concrete bunker to go to and ours had battery powered lights in it and no bugs.

injest

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 08:14:36 pm »
Horny toads. They were everywhere when I was a kid, we called 'em dragon babies.They secreted some substance from their eyes that looked like blood, which freaked girls out, so right there was guaranteed entertainment value, put one in your sisters jewelery box and wait for the scream.

I dont know when I last saw one. Its not down to global warming or development, as they like hot weather and theres still plenty of empty remote areas of the SW. Whatever happened to those horny toads.

Also old-fashioned storm cellars, just a dugout in the bottom of the yard with two doors and a ladder or steps. They were dark, scary holes (and usually home to centipededs, scorpions and horny toads) so I guess thats why they fell out of fashion, but in tornado country, where else do you go, If you go in the basement, your liable to have the house fall in on you if you get hit, yet about the only place I see those storm cellars is on older properties. I recall when we lived in base housing, each neighborhood had a concrete bunker to go to and ours had battery powered lights in it and no bugs.

what IS it with men and liking to hear girls squeal? it is my husbands favorite sound, apparently.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 08:17:37 pm »

Old fashiioned highway signs....BURMA SHAVE............

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 11:40:03 pm »
You would think that drive in movie theatres would make a come back with so many other retro type things around. I don't know if there are any left around here. There was one still open in Waynesville, but I doubt it is still there. When I was growing up there were at least 4 in Asheville. They are all gone now. The last one was a flea market for a long time and the screen remained but they quit showing movies years ago. About 5 years ago the stie became a giant Lowe's store. I remember going with my parents when I was little to them and it seems I remember we would take food with us to eat. They also had a concession stand and I do remember one having a playground in front of the screen. It was fun. I remember when I was in high school they were still around, but they were going downhill by then. I remember one opened and showed x rated movies. That one is now a gated community. Another thing I remember from growing up is going to drive in restaurants with my parents. All the high school teenagers and even adults would drive around and around cruising, but I remember the cheeseburgers being so good. Buck's was the most poplular one. By the time I was in high school the drive in restaurants were pretty much gone too. Now we have Sonic, but it is not the same. It always made me mad that I seemed to always be too young for a lot of those things and now I wish I had of even been younger  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 12:08:39 am »
Any pics of such drive-ins cinemas from many of you ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 05:31:54 pm »
Was the American auto-industry mentioned?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 04:25:45 pm »
Real Milk
Real Cream
Sexy Movies
Happy Endings
Kisses
Phones with no answering machine
Dads
Moms
Aprons
Philips Head Screwdrivers
Sitcoms with a plot
Natural hot springs
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 05:05:37 pm »
Real Milk
Real Cream
Sexy Movies
Happy Endings
Kisses
Phones with no answering machine
Dads
Moms
Aprons
Philips Head Screwdrivers
Sitcoms with a plot
Natural hot springs

I will not miss phillips head screws!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 05:52:39 pm »

What the--?

Not as important as honey bees and newspapers, but I'm really stunned to hear about this--
http://www.walletpop.com/specials/departures-2008

DHL in the U.S.
DHL, the German global shipping giant, will stop shipping within the United States on the ground and in the air, effective Jan. 30, 2009. All of DHL's 18 U.S. hubs will close.

Wow.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 06:22:28 pm »
What the--?

Not as important as honey bees and newspapers, but I'm really stunned to hear about this--
http://www.walletpop.com/specials/departures-2008

DHL in the U.S.
DHL, the German global shipping giant, will stop shipping within the United States on the ground and in the air, effective Jan. 30, 2009. All of DHL's 18 U.S. hubs will close.

Wow.

Yeah, I heard about that last month.  It's especially devastating news for Wilmington, Ohio - home to a large distribution hub, which will lose 7,000 jobs.  9,500 jobs in total will be lost.   :(

DHL Cuts 9,500 Jobs in U.S., and an Ohio Town Takes the Brunt

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/business/11dhl.html

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 06:57:38 pm »

I will not miss phillips head screws!

Yes, but I'll miss the drivers...DHL drivers too. Now we'll be stuck with brown and FedEx.

"chewing gum and duct tape"