Author Topic: New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08 (spoilers)  (Read 31446 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08 (spoilers)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:59 pm »
However, thanks to Paul's post referencing A Separate Peace, I got to wondering, Who is John Heyl? I'd never heard of him, but just look at him in that photo with Parker Stevenson! Unfortunately, all ImDB has on him is the one reference to A Separate Peace. No biographical information, nothing. I shall have to do a Google search, I guess.

I believe IMDb said that all the actors except Parker Stevenson were actual students at Exeter. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:08 pm »
I believe IMDb said that all the actors except Parker Stevenson were actual students at Exeter. 

Could be. I just searched for the name. I didn't check what IMDb had to say about the film. I guess he didn't go on to a film career. More's the pity. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:38 pm »
A review from Variety:

by Dennis Harvey

A finely wrought, Merchant-Ivory-style Brit-lit adaptation rather curiously unloaded by Miramax smack amid Stateside summer tentpole season -- just before fall fest season and the unveiling of awards contenders -- "Brideshead Revisited" offers lush and compelling drama drawn from Evelyn Waugh's beloved novel. Purists may blanch at the screenplay's changes to the source material's narrative fine points, but its spirit survives intact. Fond memories of the 1981 miniseries likely will only help prod curious fans into theaters, suggesting respectable B.O. on both sides of the Atlantic.
Scenarists Andrew Davies and Jeremy Brock (like director Julian Jarrold, all veteran adapters of literary and historical tales for film and TV) have created a few bold shortcuts that will invariably distress folks who justifiably view the Granada TV mini as one of the truest page-to-screen transfers ever. But then, it had 11 hours in which to reproduce every nuance. And this version's changes, in the end, serve to communicate the novel's complexities within a viable, theatrical-friendly format without ever appearing to rush or coarsen its general arc. (Still, one wouldn't guess this from the film's trailer, which strains to make it look like a pulse-pounding intrigue in period duds, a la "Vanity Fair" or "The Scarlet Letter.")

Allowing auds sufficient retro-aristo-lifestyle sumptuousness for their dollar, yet exhibiting admirable, intelligent directorial restraint, this "Brideshead" is mainstream arthouse fare par excellence. Tale is framed, as in the novel, by the stationing of Charles Ryder (Matthew Goode) as a WWII British Army officer in a lavish country estate-turned-temporary military base -- a location he's visited before under very different circumstances.

Bulk of the narrative is set earlier, in the 1920s, as middle-class Charles commences studies at Oxford and falls into the company of fellow student Lord Sebastian Flyte (Ben Whishaw), whose impulsive hedonism and affectionate nature charm him. When Sebastian shows Charles the extraordinary ancestral grounds he grew up in, the latter is further seduced by such sheer magnificence.

But as Sebastian is too well mannered to say outright, Brideshead Castle is, for him, a prison of instilled guilt, to be escaped by any means possible -- which, in his case, turns out to be alcohol. With Sebastian's coolly alluring sister Julia (Hayley Atwell) also in residence, the fun comes to a sharp end with the dreaded arrival of their mother, Lady Marchmain (Emma Thompson) -- a devout, most bitterly husband-abandoned Catholic.

In the hope that the visitor's solidity might steady her son, Lady Marchmain encourages him to accompany the sibs on a trip to visit their father, Lord Marchmain (Michael Gambon), and his mistress, Cara (Greta Scacchi), in Venice. This is another idyllic time, though the growing attraction between Charles and Julia deals Sebastian a crushing blow that sends him sliding further into alcoholism.

As the years move onward, Sebastian, Charles and Julia drift far from one another, yet remain bound by conflicted secular yearnings and sacred guilt.

While the film offers the closest thing to a gay love story in mainstream cinema since "Brokeback Mountain," it wouldn't be quite right to call the Charles-Sebastian dynamic homoerotic: True to the novel, what Cara terms a "romantic friendship" is tangible more as true love than as mere sexual attraction, no matter that Sebastian suffers the stigma of feeling both.

Unfolding at a pace that never feels rushed despite the compacted runtime, pic clearly portrays the Flyte offspring as forever crippled by the sense of sin imbued in them by their mother. Yet what plays for some time as a fairly harsh condemnation of oppressive religious morality finally becomes a poignant acknowledgement of faith, encapsulating Charles' new attitude toward it in a beautifully low-key close.

Goode provides a fine center of gravity as the middle-class tourist in heady but toxic upper-class realms. Thompson superbly etches a complex, eventually tragic portrait in her relatively few scenes.

Whishaw and Atwell are fine, but leave perhaps a slightly less distinctive stamp on their roles than the series' Anthony Andrews and Diana Quick, respectively.

Without tipping into excess eye candy, the design contribs are all one could wish for, handsomely captured in Jess Hall's widescreen lensing. Adrian Johnson's graceful score is another notable plus in a package that, in every department, approaches the material with understated respect rather than stylistic flash.

Reportedly, Paul Bettany, Jude Law and Jennifer Connelly were attached until helmer David Yates was poached for last year's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." One can say, in this case, that settling for the B team turned out well.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 04:50:45 pm »

However, thanks to Paul's post referencing A Separate Peace, I got to wondering, Who is John Heyl? I'd never heard of him, but just look at him in that photo with Parker Stevenson! Unfortunately, all ImDB has on him is the one reference to A Separate Peace. No biographical information, nothing. I shall have to do a Google search, I guess.

Jeff--just for you!

John Heyl and Parker Stevenson

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 05:25:32 pm »
First, I thought we could set the mood--with Geoffrey Burgon's Brideshead Theme; click and listen:

http://www.imeem.com/agripina/music/HEADCEXH/geoffrey_burgon_brideshead_theme/

Ah. That's better.

Now:

--winter 1982: I turned on the TV, a little black-and-white set in the kitchen, and was dumbstruck.  There, I saw two very handsome young men walking in a garden, arm in arm.  I was hooked, not even knowing what it was.  Consulting the TV guide, I saw that it was being repeated later that evening, so I watched it from the start.  The language, the visuals, the performances.  Ahh.

Paul, I'm about ten years older than you. I had read the book, and, in fact, had been anxiously waiting some time for the Granada production to start. But--Yes. Exactly.

[Anthony] Andrews, however, felt he was better suited for the part of Sebastian Flyte. Jeremy Irons, [Derek] Granger's first choice for Sebastian, preferred to play Ryder, so the two actors swapped roles.

Thank god!

Laurence Olivier was offered his choice of roles in either Lord Marchmain or Edward Ryder (which ultimately went to John Gielgud). Olivier picked Lord Marchmain, but later regretted the choice as he realized that Edward Ryder was actually a much stronger role.

Again, thank god--that this time the actors didn't switch!

Also, I remember hearing, perhaps on the DVD extras, that because of a lengthy tech strike, filming was considerably delayed.  It was during that time that Laurence Olivier and Claire Bloom became available.  Also, the script was re-thought:  rather than the original 6-hour length, it was decided to essentially film the whole story, all 13 hours.  I believe this was when they included Charles's voice-over, essentially verbatim from the novel. 

Olivier and Bloom were--well, perfect. As in Brokeback, the Stars Were Aligned (and I don't mean film stars).

But now we are to see a two-hour version--with Julia inserted into the Venice sequence?? What can one say, except--ugh!

Reportedly, Paul Bettany, Jude Law and Jennifer Connelly were attached until helmer David Yates was poached for last year's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." One can say, in this case, that settling for the B team turned out well.

Paul Bettany, Jude Law and Jennifer Connelly? As two Oxford undergraduates and sister/chum? That must have been the 'G Team'--'G' for Geriatric.

As for the actual troupe, with Goode, Whishaw and Atwell--it's 'B' for Better Luck Next Time...

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 06:31:34 pm »
First, I thought we could set the mood--with Geoffrey Burgon's Brideshead Theme; click and listen:

I love the arpeggios in the background.  Sounds great, even on my computer.

Julia in Venice?  A cheap trick to condense the story.  Ugh is right.

Paul Bettany, Jude Law and Jennifer Connelly? As two Oxford undergraduates and sister/chum? That must have been the 'G Team'--'G' for Geriatric.

As for the actual troupe, with Goode, Whishaw and Atwell--it's 'B' for Better Luck Next Time...

I'm curious:  who would your 'A' Team be?  Or are you sticking with Irons, Andrews and Quick?

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:19:06 pm »
Given my geriatric self, I have the nerve!

Actually, Andrews (b. 1948!), Irons (1948!) and Quick (1946!!) were pretty long in the tooth when the production started--even the 'child,' Phoebe Nicholls (1957), as the sainted Cordelia, was no child in 1980-1981.

IF some imaginary 'they' were to make another re-remake (and first I would think: why? ), I think it should be a very young, very talented cast, all contemporaries of one another, who are artificially aged as the story progresses, as Heath and Jake were cast in Brokeback by Ang's brilliance.

Interesting, though, in re-makes (in Wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Andrews

[Andrews] recently said in an interview that "Remakes are often an excuse to associate young movie stars with a good title. They think it adds up to magic."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:03:42 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 10:04:15 pm »
Aww, thanks, John!  :D

Jeff--just for you!

John Heyl and Parker Stevenson

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 11:08:20 pm »

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 12:55:52 pm »
Here's a different take from the Village Voice:

Julian Jarrold's Brideshead Revisited

By Ella Taylor
Wednesday, July 23rd 2008

Making notes in 1949 for a review of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited , George Orwell wrote that “Waugh is about as good a novelist as one can be... while holding untenable opinions.” Which is a nice way of saying that Waugh, a world-class satirist of everyone from the rich down, was also a social-climbing snob, an anti-Semite and fascist sympathizer, a hater of modernity and by extension (as anyone knows who has read The Loved One, his handy evisceration of the California funeral business) all things American.

Not that this deterred the millions of Americans who wolfed down the British television adaptation of Brideshead when it aired on PBS in 1981. Cruising right past the novel's crass Yank (disguised as a Canadian, but it was all the same to Waugh) who does business with the Nazis and sells his wife for a few paintings, just about every Anglophile I knew fell for the lovely country seat and its delicate-featured nobles dripping with diamonds, Catholic guilt and all. Personally, I never saw the point of stretching out this crisply written and none too long novel about England collapsing under the pressure of social change into a depressive 11-hour slog. A movie adaptation, even one passed through the pop filter of co-writer Andrew Davies, British TV's designated gatekeeper of all properties literary to the masses, sounds like much more fun. And though I can imagine Waugh rolling his eyes at the very idea of Brideshead Revisited as “a heartbreaking romantic epic,” this remake is, often inadvertently, closer to the novel's spirit than the sepulchral television series, albeit still not half as waggishly Waugh-ish as Bright Young Things, Stephen Fry's delightfully naughty interpretation of Vile Bodies.

Adapted by Davies with Jeremy Brock, Brideshead isn't much of a story. Charles Ryder (Matthew Goode), a wan young student who comes from trade, is taken up at Oxford by the feverishly gay and increasingly alcoholic aristocrat Sebastian Flyte (Ben Whishaw) and soon finds himself caught up in Sebastian's struggle with his intensely Catholic family. What it lacks in plot, however, is made up for in atmosphere and constant movement. As directed by Julian Jarrold (who already displayed impressive chops for jollying up the classics by bestowing a saucy love life on Jane Austen in Becoming Jane), Brideshead Revisited -revisited is a less gloomy affair than its predecessor, boasting better stately homes and gardens bathed in a warm chocolate glow, colorful trips abroad to Venice and Morocco, a marketably youthful cast, and broad winks at the novel's repressed homosexual attraction between Charles and Sebastian. Nothing wrong with any of that—Waugh was an observant creature of the Jazz Age he deplored.

If the movie strives and fails to redirect the erotic flow to the heterosexual love between Charles Ryder and Sebastian's sister, Julia Flyte, so, too, did Waugh, almost certainly a closeted homosexual inhibited by his conversion to Catholicism. As Julia, Hayley Atwell has none of TV-Julia Diana Quick's tortured inner radiance, and when she and Charles finally rip off their silken evening clothes aboard a cruise liner, you want to laugh, or look away. In the end nothing that goes on in this youthful triangle proves as compelling as the great, sick love story between the teddy-clutching Sebastian (Whishaw is show-stoppingly queeny and heart-stoppingly vulnerable) and his mummy, an ice-floe nicely understated by Emma Thompson as a woman at once energized and doomed by her devotion to Catholic orthodoxy.

Waugh, whose cruelty to others in life and literature was legendary, was merciless in taking down this rigidly controlling woman and the son she destroys. But the truly malevolent power of Brideshead Revisited is his identification with what she stood for — a literal reading of the Vatican texts, the preservation of ancient tradition, and keeping her snooty class free of contamination by interlopers like Charles — and Waugh himself. Late in the day, Waugh turns a pitiless, accusing gaze on Charles' unacknowledged motives for worming his way into the Marchmain household, and makes him over as a species of villain. You can't read this switcheroo in the 21st-century without revulsion at the self-laceration with which Waugh punished himself for his own pent-up sexuality and his yearning to join a class he was not born into, and at his retreat into unbending religious orthodoxy. Still, though Brideshead Revisited the movie is far from deep, you have to admire the way it refrains from seizing the day for a post-modern lecture on the perils of fundamentalism, and confines itself to the disturbing vision of Evelyn Waugh.