Author Topic: New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08 (spoilers)  (Read 31384 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08 (spoilers)
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 07:00:11 pm »
Good luck, all, with Brideshead. I can't believe it will be even slightly worthwhile, but--maybe the costumes are interesting.

It always comes down to one of two things, doesn't it? Sex, or clothes. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 08:35:11 pm »
I've seen Ben on stage in London (the first production of His Dark Materials at the National Theatre in 2003) and his very young Hamlet (directed by Trevor Nunn at the Old Vic in 2004).

I didn't see Perfume. It just seemed--hmm. Ben is an odd egg. Not every one's cup of tea--not mine, anyway, that's for sure. But that's what makes this old world turn around, no?

Good luck, all, with Brideshead. I can't believe it will be even slightly worthwhile, but--maybe the costumes are interesting.

And there's always Oxford--and Christ Church!

I'm curious to hear why you think it will suck.  Andrew Davies co-wrote the screenplay and he's done some interesting stuff in the past.  I just watched THE LINE OF BEAUTY, the TV mini series he adapted from the Hollinghurst novel and it was amazing!

Offline optom3

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 11:19:16 pm »
Personally, Sebastian will always be Anthony Andrews for me.Yet another teen crush.
I cannot imagine anyone else in the role.Well actualy I can.The thought of Heath, in English period clothes of  that time, wandering through the dreaming spires of Oxford, or punting on the river. Very big sigh. I really love that period of time in English history, particularly that class of people.It's all so louche and pointless and so becomes all the more decadent.
Wouldn't we all love to have just one perfect summer like that.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:46 pm »
Just got home.  Time to scribble a review.

Brideshead Revved:  All revved up and no place to go.

Opening night at the splendiferously Art Deco Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline.  Just a few dour-looking Anglophiles in line behind my friend Vin and me.  Not a good sign.  No previews for some reason; straight to the film. 

I expected that condensing the novel would be a challenge.  It started and ended with wartime Charles, but went backwards before going forwards, even inexplicably repeating a scene on the ocean liner. 

Very rushed, very loud at the beginning.  So rushed, that none of the relationships made any sense.  There was no time for the attractions to develop, and even so, no chemistry among the triangulaires.  Lots of fake, coarse dialogue not from the novel.  Heavy-handed symbolism at every turn:  close-up on the dropped rosary; close-up on Julia's crucifix.  We get it, they're Catholics!

Strangely, the film slowed down in the last reel, slow like a diamond-encrusted turtle.

Overly dark interior shots, odd camera angles, lots of statuary framed against the sky.  It seemed that half the film was the same close-up of Matthew Goode, showing the same face with the same expression.  Granted it's a nice face, with big greenish eyes.  But it managed to convey absolutely nothing.  His Charles was very unsympathetic; always peering in doorways, he seems as shallow as a gold-digger. 

Poor Ben Whishaw.  (Sorry, Gil.)  His Sebastian is neither cute nor charming.  Rather, he's  slight, high-pitched, whiny, sing-songy and pathetic.  So he doesn't really have too far to fall.  The kiss was completely chaste and forgettable.

Hayley Atwell as Julia.  Hmm, well, at least she looked like she could be Ben's sister. 

Emma Thompson surprised me:  she was not the she-devil I had expected from the trailer; rather the opposite.  Hers was the most subtle performance, even while uttering some awful lines.

I liked the guy who played Rex (Jonathan Cake).  He made a great and believable cad.

The rest of the cast were caricature cameos; most were given 8.2 seconds.  Even Anthony Blanche was boring.

Directing:  choppy. 
Script:  coarse, obvious, no poetry.
Cinematography:  annoying.
Cast:  unsubtle, no passion, no chemistry.
Costumes:  some strange choices, but I liked Sebastian's red pyjamas.
Music:  maybe the best thing.
Castle Howard:  too many scenes at the damned fountain.
Venice:  completely wasted.
Miscellaneous:  why were there giant cargo planes landing in Brideshead's backyard?

My friend Vin's review:  "why bother?"

Summary:  Brideshead Reader's Digest.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2008, 12:33:58 am »

Ha!

Good for you, Paul.

Jerrold (the director) is an ass.

As for Mr Davies, the 'screenwriter god,' well--after recently re-writing Sense and Sensibility (2008) and A Room with a View (2007) (dear god in heaven, why?), maybe he needs to write something original, for once, to clean out the pipes, so to speak. Or give it a rest.

(IMHO, obviously.)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2008, 12:35:39 am »
Oh dear.  :(

Guess I'll just hang onto my memories of Jeremy and Anthony, Claire and Sir Larry.  :-\

Thanks for scouting it out and writing such a perceptive, though damning, review, Paul.  :-*

P.S. - I like Jonathan Cake (Johnnycake, heh!), too.  He was very good (and hot) as a gladiator in "Empire" on TV a few years back.

*waves to John*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2008, 01:18:19 am »

*waves to John*

Hi, Meryl! Take a look--I posted the photos of our lovely outing today! Thanks again! J

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 02:03:13 am »

From The New York Times Video:

Screen Test: Matthew Goode

Lynn Hirschberg speaks with Matthew Goode, one of the stars of the movie version of "Brideshead Revisited."

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=130dffc247754ca375dadf61f2b9f5b3211080e3

(He's actually adorable. He thinks so too, but regardless. The video is 5:28.)

"Camping Out"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 06:02:25 am »
Just got home.  Time to scribble a review.

Brideshead Revved:  All revved up and no place to go.

Opening night at the splendiferously Art Deco Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline.  Just a few dour-looking Anglophiles in line behind my friend Vin and me.  Not a good sign.  No previews for some reason; straight to the film. 

I expected that condensing the novel would be a challenge.  It started and ended with wartime Charles, but went backwards before going forwards, even inexplicably repeating a scene on the ocean liner. 

Very rushed, very loud at the beginning.  So rushed, that none of the relationships made any sense.  There was no time for the attractions to develop, and even so, no chemistry among the triangulaires.  Lots of fake, coarse dialogue not from the novel.  Heavy-handed symbolism at every turn:  close-up on the dropped rosary; close-up on Julia's crucifix.  We get it, they're Catholics!

Strangely, the film slowed down in the last reel, slow like a diamond-encrusted turtle.

Overly dark interior shots, odd camera angles, lots of statuary framed against the sky.  It seemed that half the film was the same close-up of Matthew Goode, showing the same face with the same expression.  Granted it's a nice face, with big greenish eyes.  But it managed to convey absolutely nothing.  His Charles was very unsympathetic; always peering in doorways, he seems as shallow as a gold-digger. 

Poor Ben Whishaw.  (Sorry, Gil.)  His Sebastian is neither cute nor charming.  Rather, he's  slight, high-pitched, whiny, sing-songy and pathetic.  So he doesn't really have too far to fall.  The kiss was completely chaste and forgettable.

Hayley Atwell as Julia.  Hmm, well, at least she looked like she could be Ben's sister. 

Emma Thompson surprised me:  she was not the she-devil I had expected from the trailer; rather the opposite.  Hers was the most subtle performance, even while uttering some awful lines.

I liked the guy who played Rex (Jonathan Cake).  He made a great and believable cad.

The rest of the cast were caricature cameos; most were given 8.2 seconds.  Even Anthony Blanche was boring.

Directing:  choppy. 
Script:  coarse, obvious, no poetry.
Cinematography:  annoying.
Cast:  unsubtle, no passion, no chemistry.
Costumes:  some strange choices, but I liked Sebastian's red pyjamas.
Music:  maybe the best thing.
Castle Howard:  too many scenes at the damned fountain.
Venice:  completely wasted.
Miscellaneous:  why were there giant cargo planes landing in Brideshead's backyard?

Yikes!  Maybe I'll skip this one and see THE LAST MISTRESS instead! :o

Offline optom3

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 10:16:20 am »
Oh dear.  :(

Guess I'll just hang onto my memories of Jeremy and Anthony, Claire and Sir Larry.  :-\

Thanks for scouting it out and writing such a perceptive, though damning, review, Paul.  :-*

P.S. - I like Jonathan Cake (Johnnycake, heh!), too.  He was very good (and hot) as a gladiator in "Empire" on TV a few years back.

*waves to John*

O.K Methinks I will give this one a miss. I loved the original T.V series.