Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 77717 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 04:41:50 pm »
Hey wait a minute Artiste! That's a bit harsh don't you think? Just because some of us plan on watching the Olympics doesn't make us indecent. I've always enjoyed watching the Olympics, and I enjoy watching all the talented young athletes from the different countries. And I highly doubt my watching or not watching the Olympics would have any impact at all on China.

I'm not that important! :laugh: ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »
To me, any decent person should NOT watch the China 2008 Olympics !

Artiste has a point, if the Chinese regime is oppressive, watching the Olympics indirectly supports their oppression. So, perhaps those who agree that the gov in Beijing should not be given any support then should not watch the Olympics.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 04:59:10 pm »
Artiste has a point, if the Chinese regime is oppressive, watching the Olympics indirectly supports their oppression. So, perhaps those who agree that the gov in Beijing should not be given any support then should not watch the Olympics.

How? How does my watching the Olympics in Indianapolis support Chinese oppression over on the other side of the world? I don't get it.

So you're saying the entire world should tune out the Olympics and ignore all the athletes and their hard work because we are upset with China? China will continue to do what it's doing regardless if I watch the Olympics or not. Like I said, I'm not that important. And besides, perhaps the Olympics will allow China to feel more a part of the international community and cause them to rethink their human rights policies. :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 05:47:21 pm »
Merci, David !

Yes, thanks, since I am happy that you are responding... thinking !!

David, I consider you an important person !

You are important to me and to others, since you think !

You can think of continuing your freedom, surely !

Having said that, did you see that I had posted on many of my threads among other reasons for boycotting them: that China gathered gays in that country before the Olympics,
is that fair ?

I find that indecent of China to place gay men there in prison for no reason, but because they are gay and their 2008 Olympics China nears !

Do I have at least one point David, may I ask ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 05:57:35 pm »
I heard on the radio lately, that the Olympics were done as games by Spartans, and that they were all gay men !

But, it seems to me that the Olympics now is anti-gay !

So why are gay watching them ?

I think that I am a decent person, as gay man too,  and I am respecting myself and other gay men and others, when I will boycott the China 2008 Olympics, for many reasons, for feedom being one reason !

What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 05:58:24 pm »
I voted Not Sure, mostly because I don't have a great deal of interest in summer Oympics...I might watch some of the gymnastics or track events if I run across them.  I am always completely amazed by the track athletes.  I am a bigger fan of the winter events, especially skiing.

It's interesting to think about whether or not a boycott of the Olympics would have any impact on China and the human rights situation.  There are good arguments on both sides re: economically impacting the country versus not isolating them.

During one period of my life (the Boston years, circa 1992-1999), in the earthy-crunchy granola days, I made a concerted effort not to buy anything made in China.  I still remember trying to find vegetarian shoes - i.e. non-leather alternatives...I think I was left with Keds or Birkenstocks (who had one non-leather model).  ::)  Tilting at windmills...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 06:05:55 pm »
Merci Lynne !

May I ask isn't a decent life more important than gansters ??

Did you know that China has children as real slaves working in shops ?

So, to me, I try to purchase less ans less Made In China items; besides many are dangerous, even kids' toys !! Did you know ? Create jobs in your own country, isn't that better ?

So, maybe purchasing less and less, or no Made in China items, would be a good habit for you to continue ? And, this way, you continue your freedom ? Likewise to boycott the China 2008 Olympics !

What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »
Merci Lynne !

May I ask isn't a decent life more important than gansters ??

Did you know that China has children as real slaves working in shops ?

So, to me, I try to purchase less ans less Made In China items; besides many are dangerous, even kids' toys !! Did you know ? Create jobs in your own country, isn't that better ?

So, maybe purchasing less and less, or no Made in China items, would be a good habit for you to continue ? And, this way, you continue your freedom ? Likewise to boycott the China 2008 Olympics !

What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I do not think I am indecent because I watch some of the olympics.I watch because my children are heavily involved in sports and I appreciate all the effort that goes in to training to that level of peak fitness.
I suspect that even if the whole world turned off their TV's all that would happen would be that ordinary working Chinese would suffer.It is hardly ever the perpetrators of the wrong doings that suffer.
Time and time again it is ordinary people who bear the brunt.The economy would suffer so badly that more and more kids would be used.I can see no good comming of a boycot.Just more innocents suffering as usual.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 11:28:16 pm »
Merci optom !

May I say that it is ordinary people who can make a difference for freedom, peace, etc., by boycotting the Olympics games, especially the next China Olympics games this August 2008 !

If your children or any others watch gansters-controlled play, would you be happy ?? No ! No one in their right mind invites known criminals into their homes, right ?

The Olympic 2008 China games could have been placed elsewhere or cancelled till next year or so, instead to be in of a Hitler-like regime that China is; remember that China had murderers butchered innocent children in Africa in many villages recently, in order to get free oil !

China has tortured innocent Tibetans, and others too !!

Even young men were murdered on trump-up charges in China so it got $ for body parts paid by the wealthy who do not care about human life, like China does not like ordinary people rights within as well as outside China ! Are your kids next to be eliminated by such a regime of oppression ??

It is decent persons which can make a difference by boycotting the Olympics 2008 in China and even the next Olympics since they are anti-gay and more to be said too !!

May I say, that ordinary people would have made a difference everywhere, even in Germany in order to stop of millions of gays, millions of jews, and millions of other so-called-unwanted persons burned to death !! Same thing now is happening by China... in many ways, did you know ?

Raising decently kids is the  aim of a decent person/parent/civilized country, and can be done without the China 2008 Olympics, right ?

There are other similar games of such sports in the world for you to decently educate a child with, you know ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 12:21:15 am »
That's like saying since I don't like the fact my next door neighbor spanks his children, I won't talk to the little kid from down the street because he's playing in their front yard.

It doesn't make sense. It's not the athletes fault!