Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 77727 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2008, 07:16:22 pm »
Gotta agree with you there Jess....Even here in Australia where we have only a 2hour time difference to Beijing, some of the televised events we are getting are delayed and its really pissing us off.

If Australians are in the finals, luckily, we are getting most of them live, but much of the other stuff is delayed.

Actually, there has been a big uproar over here about the telecast and how higgly piggly it is. On the first Saturday of events, the TV station stopped transmitting the games in the afternoon for two hours to put on a live football match.....there was such a negative response to that,that they didn't do it again on the second Saturday.

You would think that they get four fucking years to organise their telecast, and  it still dont look right...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2008, 07:42:23 pm »
Gotta agree with you there Jess....Even here in Australia where we have only a 2hour time difference to Beijing, some of the televised events we are getting are delayed and its really pissing us off.

If Australians are in the finals, luckily, we are getting most of them live, but much of the other stuff is delayed.

Actually, there has been a big uproar over here about the telecast and how higgly piggly it is. On the first Saturday of events, the TV station stopped transmitting the games in the afternoon for two hours to put on a live football match.....there was such a negative response to that,that they didn't do it again on the second Saturday.

You would think that they get four fucking years to organise their telecast, and  it still dont look right...

I know!

Higgly piggly describes it perfectly!

I want them to just show the finals....unless there is some good story from the semifinals...but even then tell it in ORDER! don't jack us around!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:35 pm »
ok here is my pet peeve and the reason I dont' watch the Olympics much.

It is tape delayed, not live, so why do they not have the events organized so you can sit and watch the entire finals and see who wins? For example, I was watching last night and they were showing the womens pole vault....they spent ten minutes on the event, leading up to the finals, they showed the bronze winner and that left two to go...and they switched over and showed some guys running hurdles!!! ARGH! I was so mad...why not just SHOW THE LAST TWO POLE VAULTS!!?? THEN go to the hurdles...

that is the main reason I don't watch more....the total disorganized and illogical coverage..

It's called a cliffhanger, Jess. The network is afraid some people will switch on, see pole vaulters, and change the channel, because they want to see something else.  So  if they make it known they're flipping between sports like movies do these days when there are multiple storylines, people will be forced to sit through most of it so they can see their favorite part.  You like pole vaulters?  Want to see the finals?  You'll have to sit through hurdlers to do it.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52:34 pm »
China is still stopping many news, even blogs from Olympians doing them there, it was shown on TV News yesterday!

China said so in order to protect China, as well as individuals from themselves, it said!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2008, 09:12:01 pm »
Well, I'm very happy that this evening I'm getting to some of the finals of the men's 3-meter springboard diving. As I write this, the gorgeous French Canadian diving god Alexandre Despatie, who took the silver medal in this event in Athens, is currently in second place. The handsome American Troy Dumais is in sixth place with two dives remaining.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2008, 09:15:56 pm »
Jeff, that Canadien-francais, Alexandre Despatiefrom Québec, said that he now will seek to be in the next Olympics in London, England!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2008, 09:20:13 pm »
Can you say 'suck up to China?'.

Jeez, the Chinese springboard diver makes a blatant error, feet wide apart on his dive and 3 judges still give him a 10.

Why don't they just give the Chinese the gold and quit wasting everyone's time by pretending there's a real competition?  >:(

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »
Jeff, I watched men's diving last night and thought of you when I saw Alexandre Despatie.  :)

I just had to leave for a while, have they already shown the gymnastics event finals tonight?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:17 pm »
Jeff, I watched men's diving last night and thought of you when I saw Alexandre Despatie.  :)

I just had to leave for a while, have they already shown the gymnastics event finals tonight?

All I've seen as of now is some running and the men's diving.

According to the commentators, Alex has just nailed the Silver--second Olympics in a row.  :)

Troy Dumais finished sixth for the third consecutive Olympics.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2008, 12:47:55 am »
Nicole Kidman Prompts Olympians' Sail to Victory

Natalie Finn Tue Aug 19, 2:53 PM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Nicole Kidman's got the golden touch.

A phone call from the Australian actress helped spur two of her countrymen to victory Monday in the men's 470 class sailing competition at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, gold medal winner Malcolm Page tells Melbourne's Herald Sun.

After making tracks in the preliminary rounds, Page, partner Nathan Wilmot and their 4.70-meter-long fiberglass dinghy—named the Australia, after Baz Luhrmann's upcoming epic starring Kidman and Hugh Jackman—also finished first in yesterday's medal race, beating out teams from Great Britain and France for the top spot on the podium.

But despite their nautical tribute to Kidman, Page says that he didn't get to speak to her when she first rang him up because he saw the unknown number and let her call go to voice mail.

"I was getting breakfast and thought, 'Ah, I just don't want to talk to her today,' so I bumped it, then two seconds later there was a message from Nicole wishing us good luck," the Aussie athlete said.

But, like a sane person, he called her back before the race.

"Yes, I ended up returning her call," Page said. "She was very happy."

When asked whether Kidman's well-wishing helped spur his and Wilmot's ultimate victory, Page was more inclined to attribute winning the gold to skill, training and good conditions—but hearing the Oscar winner's kind words certainly didn't hurt.

"It does go a long way, don't worry about that," Page said. "She was very surprised that we do have a tradition of naming our boats after her movies, and she's just really stoked to be part of a team."

The team's previous boats have included the Dead Calm and Days of Thunder.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20080819/en_celeb_eo/24627