Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 78580 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 03:55:52 am »
That's like saying since I don't like the fact my next door neighbor spanks his children, I won't talk to the little kid from down the street because he's playing in their front yard.

It doesn't make sense. It's not the athletes fault!

I haven't been paying attention to the China/Olympics situation, but while it may not be any of the world athletes' fault that the Chinese government is repressive/ecologically disastrous/etc., and it may not have been the athletes who made the awful decision to allow China to host the Olympics, it is their choice to go participate in the Chinese-hosted Olympics. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 04:15:43 am »

I haven't been paying attention to the China/Olympics situation, but while it may not be any of the world athletes' fault that the Chinese government is repressive/ecologically disastrous/etc., and it may not have been the athletes who made the awful decision to allow China to host the Olympics, it is their choice to go participate in the Chinese-hosted Olympics. 

If you had rigorously trained for perhaps 15 out of the 20 years of your life, wouldn't you too seize the opportunity and go, even if it meant travelling to the Chinese-hosted Olympics? Perhaps I am without conscience but I believe I would go, no matter where the Olympics were held. :)

Do we really want our World's youth returning to their home countries with their proverbial "tails between their legs" just because we objected to China and their Human Rights record?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 07:09:30 am »
In China, children are used as slaves... many are, and do we in the free world want that to continue ?
Oh, we can give a blind eye to that ? I do not and that is another reason that I boycott  the China 2008 Olympics !

Thanks David ! Any reasons, you want to watch those China ones ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 07:20:05 am »
Here is an email that I got to-day from a chinese person in China, who is a citizen that wants freedom there.

Here is part of his email, that explains how different their athetes are trained as slaves for politics so China can dominate them, as China cons the World with their 2008 Olympics:

Some of the girls from the gymnastic team as young as 14, have been confined to state run training camps for no less then 8 years, away from family, training non stop including missing most of their academic needs. All national Chinese Olympic teams, train under the State supervision. Only last year there were four reported serious accidents in the Chinese team, from over training including three young athletes that suffered irreversible serious physical injuries with broken spines. This week a girl, seventeen years old, from the canoeing team revealed her fear of water, as she was forced to join the national team when she was only ten years of age, as she was seen to be a strong girl.           

So you see partly, that China under the guise of sports cons the World and its own people too by forcing them to be like slaves or be slaves ? ?

This person will get prison, be tortured, etc., if found to have sent such emails to us in the free world, because since January talking negatively about China on the internet is a crime since such a law came into effect, we know ?

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 12:52:03 pm »
Here is an email that I got to-day from a chinese person in China, who is a citizen that wants freedom there.

Here is part of his email, that explains how different their athetes are trained as slaves for politics so China can dominate them, as China cons the World with their 2008 Olympics:

Some of the girls from the gymnastic team as young as 14, have been confined to state run training camps for no less then 8 years, away from family, training non stop including missing most of their academic needs. All national Chinese Olympic teams, train under the State supervision. Only last year there were four reported serious accidents in the Chinese team, from over training including three young athletes that suffered irreversible serious physical injuries with broken spines. This week a girl, seventeen years old, from the canoeing team revealed her fear of water, as she was forced to join the national team when she was only ten years of age, as she was seen to be a strong girl.           

So you see partly, that China under the guise of sports cons the World and its own people too by forcing them to be like slaves or be slaves ? ?

This person will get prison, be tortured, etc., if found to have sent such emails to us in the free world, because since January talking negatively about China on the internet is a crime since such a law came into effect, we know ?

I see the point you are making 100%.However I still believe that even a worldwide blanket boycot of the games would harm the ordinary Chinese citizen far more than those causing all the mayhem and murder in the 1st instance. The people in positions of power very rarely get punished first.It usually takes some horrendous crimes to be published worldwide, before other countries step in.Then inevitably it seems, the end result is war, with yet more carnage.
The initial mistake was in letting China host the Olympics in the 1st place.Once that was done I see no way back, which would not ultimately lead to yet more bloodshed and carnage.
I remember many years ago John McEnroe turned down obscene amounts of money to play an exhibition match, in the then, deeply apartheid South Africa. It caused no change at all, although when he later met Mandela, he was thanked by him for his action.
The situation in South Africa is actually a good example.For years the white SouthAfricans treated the blacks abominably.It was truly horrendous.Now the pendulum has swung back the other way.The Blacks are treating the whites horrendously.I am not condoning either.2 wrongs never make a right,and it must be the most difficult thing ever, following on from years of killings, torture, imprisonment etc,just to say, O.K well we have our land back now, we forgive you so everythings just fine and dandy.No most humans are not that forgiving.
The only way for real change to take effect, is for governments to step in, but as said that usually involves either war or sanctions or both.Again the ordinary citizen i the one who bears the brunt of it.
I wish I knew what the answer was, but it would take someone much wiser than me to solve this conundrum.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 04:06:51 pm »
Merci optom!

I replied to you a very long post, but computor went capute, since it's storming here!

Shortly, I ask you to remember about Greece which came back to democracy peacefully !
Could that not happen in China ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 07:11:59 pm »
How? How does my watching the Olympics in Indianapolis support Chinese oppression over on the other side of the world? I don't get it.

So you're saying the entire world should tune out the Olympics and ignore all the athletes and their hard work because we are upset with China? China will continue to do what it's doing regardless if I watch the Olympics or not. Like I said, I'm not that important. And besides, perhaps the Olympics will allow China to feel more a part of the international community and cause them to rethink their human rights policies. :)

if you watch it, the ad rates go up, and the network makes more money, and the Olympic games are more of a triumph for the leadership in Beijing.

I haven't said a thing about the "world tuning out the Olympics". I merely stated that Artiste has a good point about not patronizing the sponsors of the Olympics, that is if you object to the policies of the leadership in China.

Are you genuinely suggesting that the rulers in Beijing will "rethink their human rights policies" based upon a "feeling" from the Olympics? Or are you making a joke?

Did Hitler and Nazi Germany change their policies after all of the good world press they received during the 1936 Olympics?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 08:02:50 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

You said rightly:
       Did Hitler and Nazi Germany change their policies after all of the good world press they received during the 1936 Olympics? 

Even if the USA and other good and free persons went there to those Hilter Germany Olympics games and the black person from USA ran better, Hitler and his thugs still murdered more and more millions and millions of innocent gays, innocent jews, and other so-called unwanted persons !! China did, does and will do more such atrocities because it is a non-respectful regime of human rights in and out of its borders, unfortunately !

So we kiss China now by watching its tortured-like-slaves play at sports ?? That are not free sports, I say !

It will be better to watch  the indigenous games August 3rd where free persons play, and other sports games like World swimming, may I suggest, as I boycott the China 2008 Olympics and thier sponsors and the Olympic Committee which accepted China to present it !

Besides, why watch the Olympics when they are anti-gay ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 11:45:50 am »
DavidInIndy, may I ask your ideas on it ? Have they changed and are changing to not watching them, maybe to watch less and less of it ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 09:15:47 am »
No, I will NOT watch the China 2008 August Olympics, since I am for human value because China is not considering human rights having murdered even innocent children in Africa in order to get free oil, having tortured innocent Tibetans, having murdered even Chinsee-born young men in order to get money with their body parts, and continuing such cruelty !!

So, I marked: OTHER !