Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 78342 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2008, 06:53:52 pm »
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/track_field/news?slug=cr-somalirunners082408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Somalia sent two athletes. Both came in last...but lort reading their story.

I was in tears by the time I finished this.  This is what the Olympic spirit is all about.  Notice what the woman said - she still has her pride as an athlete - she said she'd rather they were cheering her on to victory instead of just for giving it a try.

She got recognition regardless.  Her people were happy she was just there representing them - all except the really radical male population that is.  She is incredibly brave to even show up in spite of them.  These women deserve a medal just for that alone.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2008, 06:59:02 pm »
Hi, I feel can only post a message like this here, but I am absolutely nuts over Matthew Mitcham as well...which makes no sense at all because I am married, and he is gay...not to mention that he is 30-plus years younger than me ;o! But somehow I feel I'm okay in talking about this here...He absolutely won my heart on Saturday night when he upset the almighty Chinese divers and won the gold...I loved him already for his open emotions (which were so refreshing to after seeing all the athletes who stifled them on the podium, including our gal gymnasts) and the fact that he won the gold after going through personal struggles in 2006. I didn't even know at that point that he was gay.

When I found out that out after doing some googling, I admired him all the more. I was extremely miffed at NBC for not showing the medal ceremonies but found it on their site at least. After watching that video, I loved him even more...he was just so wonderful on the podium and especially jumping up on the railing to see his mom and partner, and other Aussies. You gotta love him! He is so adorable...sexy in a cute sort of way...and definitely lovable. I will be following him closely from now on.

Here is the link for the medal ceremonies:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0823_SD_DVM_ME_L1291R7

Phooey!!!  I can't watch the link because the plug in won't install on my computer.

There are also some interviews of him on You Tube...mostly Aussie stations...very little from the US  >:( What I am wondering is whether NBC not mentioning his accomplishment at all after the meet was because he was not a US athlete or because he was gay...

I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was because he wasn't an American, but I have my suspicions...

injest

« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2008, 07:28:12 pm »
Phooey!!!  I can't watch the link because the plug in won't install on my computer.

I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was because he wasn't an American, but I have my suspicions...

when I clicked on there was an option to play without the plug in...it worked ok on mine...that was cool I was grinning all the way thru!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »
The French swimmer coasted in and Phelps took that last 1/2 stroke.  It was extremely close - the commentators later said it was like the distance of a fingernail - but Phelps did touch first.  They don't depend on the eyesight of the guy over the lane.  They have some sort of touch-sensor in the wall which will indicate who touched first.

Phelps did win.  That's why you didn't see or hear about a protest from the French.  It's an electronic device that decides who touches when.

Thanks, I figured there had to be a sensor thing since there was no challenge.  It was a real nail-biter of a race, I loved it!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39:02 pm »
when I clicked on there was an option to play without the plug in...it worked ok on mine...that was cool I was grinning all the way thru!

I'm using Firefox, so when I click on the link, it gives me the website, Matt's grinning mug and a big button that says "Video".  I click on it and I get "To play video on Firefox please install Silver something plug in".  There are no other options.  Maybe if I was in Explorer or Netscape...

injest

« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2008, 07:44:53 pm »
I'm using Firefox, so when I click on the link, it gives me the website, Matt's grinning mug and a big button that says "Video".  I click on it and I get "To play video on Firefox please install Silver something plug in".  There are no other options.  Maybe if I was in Explorer or Netscape...

well drats...yeah, I am on Explorer...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:25 pm »
Heh heh.  Switched over to Explorer 'cause Netscape didn't work.

Matt was so sweet.  He's such a goober.  Looked like a little kid out there, bouncing around, singing Australia's anthem,  just thrilled.

Yes, it was refreshing to see someone so openly surprised and emotional about winning. :)

Bronze medal winner Gleb was glum.  Looks like a poor man's Vin Diesel though.  ;D

injest

« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2008, 08:20:58 pm »
Heh heh.  Switched over to Explorer 'cause Netscape didn't work.

Matt was so sweet.  He's such a goober.  Looked like a little kid out there, bouncing around, singing Australia's anthem,  just thrilled.

Yes, it was refreshing to see someone so openly surprised and emotional about winning. :)

Bronze medal winner Gleb was glum.  Looks like a poor man's Vin Diesel though.  ;D

yep them Russians are a grim lot...but yes he is a cutie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2008, 09:37:15 pm »
There are also some interviews of him on You Tube...mostly Aussie stations...very little from the US  >:( What I am wondering is whether NBC not mentioning his accomplishment at all after the meet was because he was not a US athlete or because he was gay...

Tell you what, speaking of suspicions and not showing significant people in athlete's lives, did I just miss something, or in all the coverage of Dara Torres and the repeated comments about her age and being the mother of a two-year-old child, was there ever any mention made of a father of her child or of a partner for Torres of either gender?

Granted, I'll gladly give even star athletes some privacy, but still, unless, as I said, I just missed it--repeatedly--I thought that was rather a strange omission.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2008, 11:29:01 pm »
Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators so far

during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator: 'This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw
her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.'

2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from
personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother
and father.'

4. Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths
in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'

5. Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should think we can
expect the same thing again.'

6. Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't
like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the
IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.'

8. Soccer commentator: 'Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've
got eleven Dicks on the field.'

9. Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is
that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses
them... Oh my God, what have I just said?'

Those are some of the funniest commentary bloopers I have read in a long time,thanks for that.I will go to bed with a smile.