Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 77715 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 06:40:26 am »
I enjoyed seeing the U.S. men's swim team win the 4 X 100 relay! That was great.  :) They didn't get "smashed" at all.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »
Cannot believe the announcers of the women's gymnastic are lamenting the "good ole days" of Romanian gymnastics when Karolyi was in charge.

Karolyi is a martinet.  His training regime back in the days of Nadia was brutal and cruel and did not take into account the mental, physical or emotional health of the young girls in his charge. 

He's a shit.

Agreed !!!

On the subject of gymnastics anyone else think half the Chinese team are closer to 12 than 16??
Because my daughter is a gymnast we are glued to it and also the tennis for son. But there is no way some of the Chinese gymnasts are 16. Or do they just hit puberty several years later in China?

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 02:34:48 pm »
I voted.   My answer was watch it some of the time.  Ill watch it mostly while my husband is home with it on.  He's a sports fan of all kinds. 

The  Chinese men's gymnastic were incredible.

The Americans' swimming was awesome too.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 07:01:32 pm »

Agreed !!!

On the subject of gymnastics anyone else think half the Chinese team are closer to 12 than 16??
Because my daughter is a gymnast we are glued to it and also the tennis for son. But there is no way some of the Chinese gymnasts are 16. Or do they just hit puberty several years later in China?

Yes the do look like "little" girls dont they.

I remember reading a story of that Romanian girl who was the first to get 10 out of 10 some years back, Nadia Komenichi (i think it was), and the story revealed that she actually had her puberty chemically held back. Obviiously, it must make a difference to how they perform at gymnastics.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »

Agreed !!!

Yep, they looked closer to 13 than 16.

Yes, I believe the Iron Curtain countries used growth inhibitors and kept the girls' weight so low they were delayed in entering puberty so they could excel at the skills they needed to win (getting hips and boobs and body fat slows and weighs the female body down in performing the fantastic tumbling you see.  To do such tricks you have to have the body of a child or a boy to compete at the elite level).  I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese gymnasts were given such things.  They're doing the drug testing aren't they?  Who is checking their testing?

The girls probably have no clue.  I remember watching a PBS special where some former East German female athletes never realized they had been given steroids in their competitive days - despite the body hair, bigger muscles, etc., - they were told they were getting vitamin shots and they never questioned their coaches.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »
I enjoyed seeing the U.S. men's swim team win the 4 X 100 relay! That was great.  :) They didn't get "smashed" at all.

That was sweet.  After such trash talking by the French, it was a feel good moment to see their expressions when they realized they had lost.  ;D

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:55 pm »
Yep, they looked closer to 13 than 16.

Yes, I believe the Iron Curtain countries used growth inhibitors and kept the girls' weight so low they were delayed in entering puberty so they could excel at the skills they needed to win (getting hips and boobs and body fat slows and weighs the female body down in performing the fantastic tumbling you see.  To do such tricks you have to have the body of a child or a boy to compete at the elite level).  I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese gymnasts were given such things.  They're doing the drug testing aren't they?  Who is checking their testing?

The girls probably have no clue.  I remember watching a PBS special where some former East German female athletes never realized they had been given steroids in their competitive days - despite the body hair, bigger muscles, etc., - they were told they were getting vitamin shots and they never questioned their coaches.

I would be surprised if there was not a double attack going on.Lying about their age as they have to be 16 in the year of the Olympics and maybe some growth retardation hormones as well. I find the whole thing very scary.

My daughter who is now 10 is tiny like meand sorry bragging here,took 1st in State for her level this year, and it was her 1st year of competition.
All of a sudden the head coach at her gym is very interested in her. He has even given her free privates.He passed comment to my husband how she is just the right height and build for gymnastics. She is very small but with very very strong arm and leg muscles.He said to us both, he hoped she does not grow too much, and stays small like me.
She cannot legitimately compete in the next Olympics ,which is what he hoped as she will not be 16.
The only good thing, is when we are late with payment, we don't get stinky mails from the gym owner, all of a sudden our daughter has become too important for her to lose.!!!!
She is already doing level 7 work. I am so neurotic these days about everything, I have told her when she gets the free privates not to have anything to drink from him.
The level some coaches will go to for that extra bit of help, really scares me, and as you said, the kids don't even know half the time.
 We had a wrestling coach here, who coached another team, not the one my oldest one was in, tell us that some coaches put steroids in drinks, so to warn our son only to drink from his own bottle.

A parents worries are never over. You think great, my kid is doing well in sports, that keeps them out of trouble to some extent, but Oh no,it is just a whole new set of worries.
Some day, someone has to write a book, Parenthood the real truth !!!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 07:48:10 pm »
I would be surprised if there was not a double attack going on.Lying about their age as they have to be 16 in the year of the Olympics and maybe some growth retardation hormones as well. I find the whole thing very scary.

My daughter who is now 10 is tiny like meand sorry bragging here,took 1st in State for her level this year, and it was her 1st year of competition.
All of a sudden the head coach at her gym is very interested in her. He has even given her free privates.He passed comment to my husband how she is just the right height and build for gymnastics. She is very small but with very very strong arm and leg muscles.He said to us both, he hoped she does not grow too much, and stays small like me.
She cannot legitimately compete in the next Olympics ,which is what he hoped as she will not be 16.
The only good thing, is when we are late with payment, we don't get stinky mails from the gym owner, all of a sudden our daughter has become too important for her to lose.!!!!
She is already doing level 7 work. I am so neurotic these days about everything, I have told her when she gets the free privates not to have anything to drink from him.
The level some coaches will go to for that extra bit of help, really scares me, and as you said, the kids don't even know half the time.
 We had a wrestling coach here, who coached another team, not the one my oldest one was in, tell us that some coaches put steroids in drinks, so to warn our son only to drink from his own bottle.

A parents worries are never over. You think great, my kid is doing well in sports, that keeps them out of trouble to some extent, but Oh no,it is just a whole new set of worries.
Some day, someone has to write a book, Parenthood the real truth !!!!

Read "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes;  the making and breaking of elite gymnasts and skaters" by Joan Ryan. Things have certainly improved since she wrote this back in 2000-2005, but I'm sure a lot hasn't.  Read it and weep.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 12:50:27 am »
Congrats to the U.S. men's gymnastics team!!!

They were THIS close to a spectacular silver!  But oh, well.  They're a young team and will do great things.

So cute.  Some MUST be gay.  ;D

injest

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 01:06:44 am »
Congrats to the U.S. men's gymnastics team!!!

They were THIS close to a spectacular silver!  But oh, well.  They're a young team and will do great things.

So cute.  Some MUST be gay.  ;D

what you saying? Straight men can't be cute??!

>:( >:(

:laugh: