Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 78813 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 10:10:16 am »
If you had rigorously trained for perhaps 15 out of the 20 years of your life, wouldn't you too seize the opportunity and go, even if it meant travelling to the Chinese-hosted Olympics? Perhaps I am without conscience but I believe I would go, no matter where the Olympics were held. :)

David, if I had devoted my life to a sport and made the U.S. Olympic team, you bet I'd go... so perhaps I also am without a conscience.  :)

Yes, I'm going to be watching the coverage.  I won't be glued to my television set, but I will be watching select events.  I'm especially looking forward to women's gymnastics -- my favorite summer Olympic event.  I can't wait to see how Nastia Liukin does, but it'll be great seeing gymnasts from other countries compete as well.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0EiHz8LzY0[/youtube]

One has to wonder what the international Olympic committee was thinking (or not thinking, perhaps) when they selected China.  Couldn't they anticipate the controversy that would arise? 

That said, I have to put China's human-rights issues aside here and support the athletes (from every country, not just the ones from the USA) who have devoted their time and energy to training for this year's summer Olympics.  For many of them, this will be their only chance to compete in their sport; many won't be able to wait until 2012.

Oh, and I have no interest in each country's medal tally.  May the best athletes in each event prevail, not necessarily the Americans.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 11:57:43 am »
Now neither of the Hamm brothers will be there for men's gymnastics.  :'(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 01:09:37 pm »
Now neither of the Hamm brothers will be there for men's gymnastics.  :'(

What a bad break for both of them, especially since they both made the team!  They would have been three-time Olympians.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 02:57:54 pm »
Even if I was an Olympian, I would not go to the China August 2008 Olympics, respecting myself and for human rights !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 09:12:47 pm »
The opening ceremonies are very beautiful. :)

And over on Animal Planet they are showing "The Puppy Games" which are on from 6-9 pm, and again at 9 pm - 12am and 12-3 am. So, I'm flipping back and forth between the two. :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:45 pm »
The opening ceremonies are very beautiful. :)

You bet! All those beautiful young men. ...  ::)

Added: It is a little strange, however, to see athletes from Asian nations walk into the stadium while the music in the background is "Scotland the Brave" played on bagpipes.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 09:13:52 am »

I sat-up until 1 o'clock this morning (Australian time), watching the fabulous opening ceremony. It was quite amazing. And what about the cauldron lighting? Absolutely Amazing! The way the guy ran around the wall of the stadium, crouching tiger style, to light the cauldron. Even though it was early in the morning and way past my bed time, I couldn't take my eyes from the screen. It was spectacular.  :D 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:21 am »
What do you think ?

If you have trouble, please reach me by your private email titled TROUBLE at my email address: ontart care of yahoo.ca

Guest, as I saw that you were posting, but your post is NOT now here, you can reach me too as well as members, via my private email address !
And if you are a Guest, and if you want to post, you have to be a member in order to post, I am told.

Bienvenue, that's welcome ! If you have any trouble, you can find my private email address on this site, and so emailing me with the title TROUBLE would help !

What do you think  too... (are you having troubles also to post) ?     

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 10:28:08 am »
Kerry, is Ian Thorpe competing for Australia?

I haven't heard. All we hear over here is Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps. ...   ::)  :-\

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 09:05:31 pm »
I watch as much of it as possible.  Would watch all of it if I could.

I love the Olympics - lot of human drama.