Author Topic: TOTW 20/08: Ennis rejecting people close to him  (Read 15032 times)

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: TOTW 20/08: Ennis rejecting people close to him
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:32:50 pm »
Thanks, shortfiction. :)

I'm sure that Ennis at some point in the future probably will go back and visit the Twists.

And this may seem a bit wierd to you guys but in my personal opinion, when Mrs. Twist was very warm, welcoming, and soft towards Ennis, that 'probably' showed Ennis that he was NOT being rejected by someone. This maybe my own mind track thinking on my point of view of it but I have a feeling that Ennis realized that he was actually being WELCOMED into. Not that I'm saying that Jack, his daughter, nor Cassie weren't doing that. It's just he really didn't know how to accept their invitations because of his severe phobia that would prove to be his undoing.

After Jack's passing and the soft mannerisms toward him from Mrs. Twist, Ennis now accepted someone's sweet gesture toward him without rebuffing it. He now knew that not everyone can be so cold(i.e. his own father and Jack's father, among people).
Jack's mother showed him some comfort along with some maternal-like feelings toward him when he went to visit them. And he hadn't felt that way ever since his own mother had passed. It was really nice that the love's of his life mother was so polite and caring towards him during his mourning of her beloved son. And he took in that welcomage and started to change his views on himself and how he should be more willing to accept those who express their love for him. Even though he was still in pain after Jack's death, he looked as if he'd learned a good lesson and started to live by it.
Especially at the end of the movie with Alma Jr. It looks as if he was taking his steps to accepting himself and others as they shared their concern and care towards him.

But, hey, that's what I got out of it. It can be anybody's interpretation to guess how the connection with Ennis and Jack's mother was. ;)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 01:55:58 pm »
It's too bad that Ennis learned something so important so late.

Another excellent post.

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 01:02:01 am »
It's too bad that Ennis learned something so important so late.

Another excellent post.

Yeah. Exactly. It was too late. :( But, at least he'd learn from that mistake and started to try to do better with trusting his loved ones better.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 12:48:44 pm »

I still think the distinction between Ennis's lovers (Jack, Cassie, Alma) and Junior is pretty interesting in terms of the concept of pushing people away.  When we think about the final scene between Junior and Ennis in his trailer, we see Ennis making some clear progress in trying to be closer to Junior.  And, clearly with his half-declaration of "I swear" to Jack's ghost...  at least emotionally he's also demonstrating progress in his attitude towards Jack.  The open ended question is about whether Ennis would ever be open enough to another lover down the road.  Would he be able to apply the "lessons he's learned" through the Jack experience to some future lover, or is that aspect of Ennis's life essentially over?  Meaning that he really did learn his lessons too late. 

Since we see that Jack really is the only lover with whom Ennis seems to connect emotionally and he doesn't demonstrate interest in other men (and by his own admission in the short story), maybe Jack really was his one shot at true romantic happiness.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 08:18:44 pm »
Exactly, atz.

Offline MountainMan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 09:27:23 pm »
this is a great topic.

:)

I need to think more tho....

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 09:36:24 pm »
I do not think that Enns rejects others close to him since he needed to protecthimself, his family and his lover !

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 10:04:25 pm »
Since we see that Jack really is the only lover with whom Ennis seems to connect emotionally and he doesn't demonstrate interest in other men (and by his own admission in the short story), maybe Jack really was his one shot at true romantic happiness.

That is interesting, Amanda! I do agree that Jack is the only lover with whom Jack is able to connect, but  I'm not sure if I'm understanding the rest of what you're saying correctly.  Throughout the story, Ennis truly does not believe he is a gay man.  The destructive rural homphobia is ingrained too deeply inside of him for that, so he explains his relationship with Jack as "this thing" - an anomaly of two straight men who are best friends, but who have sex.  I think that's what he meant when he asked Jack if this happened to other people.  Brokeback was a very special set of circumstances - that's why he believes it had the "power" (the imagined power referred to when he finds the shirts) and doesn't realize until he finds the shirts that the real power was the love he and Jack shared.  I think he believes he's telling the truth when he tells Jack in the motel "I know I ain't."  But clearly it's not the truth - Ennis is not a straight man who just happens to have sex with his best friend.  I don't think we can take his admission that he doesn't have interest in other men as a simple statement of fact - it's not that he doesn't have an interest, it's that Ennis would never have allowed himself to have an interest because that would mean that what he had with Jack wasn't just "a thing" - and if it's not just a thing then he's one of "them guys"  - something he definitely does not want to be. 

Understand that I'm not trying to make a case that Ennis could have another shot at romance, I'm simply saying that what Ennis believes and says throughout the story is not necessarily the truth - just the truth as he sees it. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 10:46:40 pm »
Truth is truth.

Of course, thruth depends on one's culture, experiences, feeling, civilisation(s), etc. !

There are such men out there in the World that are Ennis! They see themselves as straights and are, and it is normal for them or some to have sex and /or love ONLY another man !!

It depends a lot... on each person ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 10:52:42 pm »
He tries to protect, like a good human and civil being should !!