Author Topic: TOTW 20/08: Ennis rejecting people close to him  (Read 15029 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 20/08: Ennis rejecting people close to him
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 08:39:59 pm »
Merci Front-Ranger !

Your post is news which I welcome. I wish I had your talent to verse as well as you do !

May I add that we see Jack reaching out... but only in some ways ! Somehow, he does limit himself ?
Like Ennis does in some ways ?

But this is hard to think about and to research ? If we take the light that both feels that it's a somewhat war-zone, because they both are gay men and society does places them in prison or kill such, then which discoveries
about each  be done ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »
Why is that as you say atz ?

Why not  many communications between Ennis and his daughters ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 08:46:25 pm »
Mariez, since Ennis loved his daughters, why does he not see them often ?

Could it be that their mother was somewhat anti-gay and did not let her daughters see their father ?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 09:08:02 pm »

I think that Ennis becomes increasingly reclusive and more and more of a loner following the divorce and following Jack's death especially.  I think he let his relationship with his kids slip in the same way that he put distance between himself and everyone.  He was even putting distance between himself and Jack at the end of their relationship (I think Jack's comment about the fact that Ennis "used to come away easy..." implies this whole issue of Ennis becoming more reclusive and distant).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 09:13:34 pm »
Merci beaucoup atz !

Your post qualifies, what most think about Ennis' life as it goes on.

Do you think that Jack has that way also as a method of non-communicating, is becoming reclusive too ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 09:22:52 pm »

I wonder, and sort of think that Jack does the opposite of Ennis.  My hunch is that by the end Jack's desparation was leading him to be more and more reckless.  I think his naturally social nature wouldn't probably lead him to withdraw in the same way that Ennis's shy temperament probably means that becoming reclusive is the comfortable thing for Ennis. 

Starting with the brash decision to go to Mexico (out of desparation following Ennis's post-divorce rejection) he may have been more and more bold and maybe less careful about seeking out men to hook up with, etc.  And, it's hard to tell exactly how this may fit in with his relationship with Randall, because we really don't know much about the details of how that worked out. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »
Merci atz !

Could we not consider that Jack's more and more recklessness is a FORM of reclusiveness that Ennis is popular for ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2008, 10:32:10 pm »
I find the idea of Ennis being in a "war zone" interesting. Ennis described to Jack how his daily life was like navigating thru a mine field: "Ever go out on the pavement and see the people and think that they all know?" he asked Jack. Ennis was concerned for his physical safety, afraid he'd be ambushed at some unsuspecting time and strung up just like one of those two old birds he saw when he was nine.

I also think the idea of Ennis and Jack being the same is true in a way. Ennis and Jack were complementary, like the two sides of a coin, or like yin and yang. They grew up in opposite corners of Wyoming and, altho they had each endured hardships and were inured to the stoic life, they reacted to life's adversities in opposite ways, Ennis withdrawing to within, Jack reaching out.

The only thing I know about the greyhound bus, though, is that Ennis was eating pie in the station when Cassie came upon him!

Now, back to the rejecting...Ennis in the story even rejected his daughters after the divorce. Although he continued to pay child support.

War Zone Analogies -

The words that Ennis used in his last scene with Jack were not "navigating a mine field", however, that may a reasonable interpretation of his life - but then maybe it isn't a reasonable interpretation.

I don't think that Ennis was living in an impossible situation for him, he had resigned himself to his limited small life, and he envisioned no other. I think he was economically challenged, and that is a large portion of his frustration in his last meeting with Jack, and he was frustrated with Jack for bringing up yet again the idea of them living together. Ennis just wanted a peaceful existence with a certain amount of limited contact with Jack, but I am not convinced that even if Ennis were less economically challenged he would have agreed to live with Jack. In a way, Ennis would have viewed living with Jack as trading one whining, dissatisfied partner (Alma) for another whining, dissatisfied partner - and I think that Ennis feared that. Ennis liked his solitary life out on the range with the animals as his only companions, he was a distinctly inwardly driven person. And I think to the point of it being a pathology, but that was Ennis.

As to the business of Ennis rejecting people, yes, he wanted contact with people only up to a certain point. I think that it is overlooked that this trait may be not only a part of his difficult relationship with Jack but a part of his basic nature. He was probably basically an antisocial person. There are lots of social recluses in the world, mostly they do no harm, they just keep to themselves and want no "help" or "redemption".

Do I think that Ennis had a mildly pathological personality? yes to a degree?

Do I think that Jack was better adjusted? Mostly I do.

In a sense Ennis was incompatible for either Jack or Cassie, and to a large degree he was also incompatible with Alma. But, I find it interesting that the one person who spent the most time, hung on to him the longest, was Alma. In the 12 or so years they were married, they were together most of that time, except for Ennis's time on the range and with Jack. Jack and Ennis were together physically about a total of one year if you add up all their time spent in each others company. Cassie was together physically with Ennis about probably the same amount of time. I suspect that if Jack had moved in with Ennis, he would  have left him within a year, and the same with Cassie. And Ennis had to understand deep down inside that he was better off keeping Jack and Cassie at arms length.

The more interesting question to me is : why did Jack hold on so tight and never gave up on Ennis when they really weren't that compatable emotionally? Perhaps Jack could envision no better life either.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 10:57:09 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

I am sad having read your post which is interesting, but places Ennis and Jack at too much opposite ends, it seems by your statement or view !!

I must agree with most of it ! However, on some points I remain searching... still.

Do you think that Jack, according to your search, had therefore left Ennis, for someone else but... what ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 11:06:49 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

I am sad having read your post which is interesting, but places Ennis and Jack at too much opposite ends, it seems by your statement or view !!

I must agree with most of it ! However, on some points I remain searching... still.

Do you think that Jack, according to your search, had therefore left Ennis, for someone else but... what ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

You should not be sad, its just my interpretation of the hopelessness of their sad affair.

Yes, I think that you understand the full implications of my view of Jack. I believe that Jack had mostly given up on Ennis. That is the purpose of the "dozy embrace" memory that Jack has while watching Ennis drive off. I believe that possibly Jack was planning to leave Lureen and move up to Lightening Flat with Randall. OMT intimates this to Ennis, but like most of Jacks ideas, "they didn't come to pass".

This realization makes the closet scene in OMTs house, when Ennis has his epiphanic moment about Jack, so very poignant and painful to watch.