Author Topic: Ang Ang Ang  (Read 74649 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Ang Ang Ang
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 10:54:26 pm »
Me, too! I've been reading about the making of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and here's an interesting passage I found:

[At Cannes] "they misted up at the friendship of Mu Bai and Shu Lien, two brave warriors who haven't quite the courage to say I love you. They happily took the film's 20-minute detour to the Gobi, where in a flashback Jen meets her bandit beau Lo and makes love with the spontaneity of a first-time tryst and the calculat ion of a girl who has to be on top (...Jen wants to love a fighter and fight her lover.)"

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a story about passions, emotions, desires--the dragons hidden inside all of us." -Ang Lee

"The martial arts form 'externalizes the elements of restraint and exhiliaration,' [Lee] continued. . .'In a family drama there is a verbal fight. Here you kick butt'."

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 04:08:59 pm »
Reviving this good old thread with a nice article about Ang Lee's patient path to success:

http://jeffjlin.com/2013/02/23/ang-lee-and-the-uncertainty-of-success/

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:57 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/director-ang-lee-touts-diligence-key-success-100407356.html

Director Ang Lee touts diligence as key to success
Associated PressAssociated Press – 2 hrs 31 mins ago..

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Academy award-winning director Ang Lee says modesty and diligence have been the keys to his success in penetrating the foreign cultures that were part of many of his most notable films.

Earlier this year, the Taiwanese filmmaker won his second best director Oscar for "Life of Pi," a fantasy adventure about a 16-year-old Indian boy on an epic journey of survival. He also won the best director award for "Brokeback Mountain" in 2005.

Speaking to reporters in Taipei on Thursday, Lee said "I have to read everything and watch everything" before directing films with distinctly non-Taiwanese or non-Chinese themes, like "Sense and Sensibility," which takes place in early 19th century England, or "Brokeback Mountain," a gay love story set in late 20th century Wyoming.

"I grew up here until I was 23," he said, referring to his native Taiwan. "Taiwan is a very open society. It's an island, so we have a lot of influences."

Still, he said, successfully penetrating the foreign backdrops that feature in many of his best films is often difficult going.

"I have to be modest and diligent in adopting all kinds of cultures," he said.

Lee's next project — a television series for FX entitled "Tyrant" — focuses on an American family caught up in the turbulence of the contemporary Middle East.

He said that while the project represented a significant departure for him, he was still looking forward to doing it.

"'Tyrant' is the first TV pilot I ever read," he said. "I don't really watch TV."
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2013, 10:30:07 am »
Great find, Mandy, thanks for sharing!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2013, 03:38:58 pm »
. "I don't really watch TV."

Somehow I believe this. I can´t even imagine Ang in front of a television set  :D

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 08:14:53 pm »
and it's funny considering he's working on TV now.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42:19 am »
and it's funny considering he's working on TV now.

Mmm, not so much:

Ang Lee drops out of FX's 'Tyrant' pilot
ReutersBy Tim Kenneally | Reuters – 11 hrs ago..

Reuters/Reuters - Director Ang Lee speaks in a news conference in Taipei, May 9, 2013. REUTERS/Yi-ting Chung

By Tim Kenneally

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Ang Lee apparently isn't feeling very tyrannical anymore.

The "Life of Pi" director has dropped out of the FX pilot "Tyrant," which would have marked his television directorial debut.

The pilot, from "Homeland" producers Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff, along with Craig Wright ("Six Feet Under"), follows an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. Raff created the pilot, which was developed by Gordon and Wright.

Raff handled writing duties for the pilot, which comes from Teakwood Lane, Gordon's production shingle with 20th Century Fox Television.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2013, 12:49:14 pm »
Ang is coming to Wellesley College in October!  My hometown!

http://theswellesleyreport.com/2013/08/wellesley-acadamy-award-winning-director-ang-lee-headed-to-wellesley/

"Ang Lee, a three-time Academy Award-winning director, will be visiting Wellesley College on Oct. 26 for a conversation that’s open to the public (usually the way these things work is a professors asks a bunch of academic-ese questions, then students and the public chime in). The event takes place at 10am-noon at Alumnae Hall.

"Lee is best known for directing films such as Brokeback Mountain, Life of Pi and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (though “The Ice Storm” is my favorite of his).

"The Newhouse Center for the Humanities, the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, and the Cinema and Media Studies Program at Wellesley College are co-organizing a series of events leading up to Lee’s visit on campus, including special screenings of his major films and academic talks on related topics."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:38 pm »
The Newhouse Center at Wellesley College notes that James Schamus will also be there. 

http://www.newhouse-center.org/lectures.php

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2013, 03:22:41 pm »
Ooooh, Paul, are you going?   I wanna go!  I still need to get Ang's signature on my Oscar consideration book.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!