Author Topic: Question about Heath's autopsy results  (Read 2603 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Question about Heath's autopsy results
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:26:32 pm »
Sorry for asking such a detailed oriented question about something that we all wish had never ever happened.

I remember them saying six drugs were found.  But I don't remember the six drugs.  I remember two valium type drugs, and maybe Prozac (but maybe not?) and them saying he had taken painkillers.

Does anyone know specifically which drugs they found?  Or, if not all six drug names were released, any thoughts on why release only a few names?

Thanks.

Bel
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Question about Heath's autopsy results
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:32:35 pm »
The autopsy was inconclusive, and we had to wait for the results of the toxicology report.

Here's a link to a New York Times  article, but you have to sign up to read it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/07/nyregion/07ledger.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Among the drugs found in Mr. Ledger’s system were two widely prescribed narcotics: oxycodone, the main ingredient in the prescription drug OxyContin, and hydrocodone, the principal pain reliever in the prescription drug Vicodin.

Also in Mr. Ledger’s system were three anti-anxiety medications: diazepam, the generic name for Valium; alprazolam, commonly known as Xanax; and temazepam, which is sold under the brand name Restoril and is often prescribed as a sleep medication.

The drug doxylamine was also found in his system. It is an ingredient in some over-the-counter sleeping pills, and is also marketed in some nonprescription cold medicines that contain decongestants.

The medical examiner’s office provided only the generic names of the drugs found in Mr. Ledger’s bloodstream, so it was not known what forms of the drugs he took before he died.

The information was released around February 6th or 7th.  You can probably find related posts in the Remembrance Forum if you   go back to those dates.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Question about Heath's autopsy results
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:32:25 am »
I remember the drugs well because I was taking so many of them myself.It really frightened me, because they did not publish the amounts and I was at my doctors the next day to check on all my RX's.
That was when I found out that the psychiatrist had not informed the doctor of what he was prescribing.So I had Valium, and anti depressants from him, sleeping tablets, another anti depressant, valium and Vicodin from the doctor.
The whole system here shocks me.In England all physician have to write to the family doctor and tell him/her what they are prescribing.At least I had the good sense to realise I shoild not be getting Valium from 2 sources and neither should I be getting different anti depresants from different sources.
It all started because I saw the family doctor first and then about 2 months later my husband took me to the psychiatrist.
I have said it before in other posts and will repeat it here, it is extraordinarily easy to get too many meds from different sources here, with NO cross checking.
In a sleep deprived, jet lagged befuddled state, it is all too easy to take too many.It only takes one tablet extra, to tip the balance, particularly if they all have different half lives. As the report says it is not always the amount but the combination.Also the very effect of some of the drugs can make you confused.I am amazed there are not more accidental overdoses here, or perhaps there are, and we just don't get to hear of them, as they are not famous.
It is even worse as some of the meds have different names in Europe and of course Heath was travelling.
I know I go on about it, but I just think it is so important that people are made aware of how dangerous even legitimately prescribed drugs can be.