Author Topic: TOTW 21/08: Collected Brokeback Trivia  (Read 6256 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 21/08: Collected Brokeback Trivia
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:04:36 pm »
Happy new week BetterMostians :),

this week's topic is an idea/wish from BelAir. She said it would be nice if we had a thread with collected Brokeback trivia where we could look up bits and pieces.
We already have trivia and interesting facts buried somewhere in various games, over in the „I love the lighter side“ forum and also in quizzes here in the OF. But no non-game trivia yet. So here ya go  ;D.

What belongs into this thread is up to you – whatever you see fit. I'll go first and post two or three trivia, to give you an impression, but feel free to add stuff from a whole different angle.

By making this thread a TOTW I hope to get it off the ground and get a nice collection for the begining. But I also I hope for this thread to be around for a long time; add to it whenever you think of something.

I'd like to add two specific rules for this thread:

- one fact/piece of trivia per post
- please put your trivia/facts in the beginning of your respective posts. And if you think of it, please do so in bolded or colored font. When the facts are highlighted in some way, they will be easier to isolate from comments.

This should keep things neat and clearly arranged.

Have fun!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: TOTW 21/08: Collected Brokeback Trivia
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:33 pm »
The house number of Ennis's and Alma's apartment above the laundromat is 2 (movie)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:08:32 pm »
The town of Signal and Brokeback Mountain itself are the only fictional places in the short story. All other locations mentioned by Annie Proulx are real.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:10:54 pm »
The date 1963 at the beginning of the movie is the only time a date/time period is made clear to the audience by flashing it on the screen.

All other dates/time periods are announced in more sublte ways, e.g. the banner at the charitiy dance scene saying 1978, the judge pronouncing the Del Mar divorce, etc.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:54:14 pm »
In the version of the short story I have, BBM story to screenplay, the short story is 28 pages long,the age Heath was in January.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:03:59 pm »
I know this because Judy and Gail went to the house where it was filmed: Heath Ledger slammed the screen door of Monroe and Alma's house at 11:30 pm, Alberta time, on 30 May 2005.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 08:42:10 am »

Chrissi,
I love this pic!  :'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:28:47 pm »
Continuing the "28" theme, there is a page of text from the screenplay pictured on the cover of "Story to Screenplay."  It is Page 28.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:02:41 am »
Jack was cremated in the movie and his passing was kind of unclear to us. Heath in real life was also cremated and his passing is still a bit unclear to us. :(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:40:53 pm »

An alternative version exists of the scene where Ennis is in Jack's closet and discovers the double shirts.  The alternate version of the closet scene was aired mistakenly at the Independent Spirit Awards.

This revelation among others led lots of Brokies to become curious about the exisitence of other deleted and alternative scenes.  See this great old thread in Open Forum for more about deleted/alternate scenes.
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5008.0.html

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:51:14 pm »
An alternative version exists of the scene where Ennis is in Jack's closet and discovers the double shirts.  The alternate version of the closet scene was aired mistakenly at the Independent Spirit Awards.

This revelation among others led lots of Brokies to become curious about the exisitence of other deleted and alternative scenes.  See this great old thread in Open Forum for more about deleted/alternate scenes.

And, hot on the heels of this post... I wanted to add trivia about BBM's awards.

With regards to the Independent Spirit Awards specifically, BBM won Best Feature Film and Best Director, and Heath and Michelle were both nominated for acting awards.

These wins/nominations for the Independent Spirit Awards are among the 80 wins and 64 nominations that Brokeback Mountain has won from all the major film award-giving bodies to-date (including Oscars, Golden Globes, Golden Lion, etc.).

Here's BBM's awards page from Imdb (it's just so impressive).  And, looking at this list always makes me feel much, much better when I get all upset thinking about the Oscars debacle.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/awards

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:24:42 pm by atz75 »

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 05:33:21 am »

Wow thanks for that. :]
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:39 am »
This is a great idea for a thread Chrissi!!! Thank you.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 06:14:10 pm »
I figured that BBM was nominated for a lot of awards but WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!! That's an awful lot of awards! You know, this may be one of movie that's been nominated and won for EVERY SINGLE movie award known to man! This movie has spirit!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:29:14 pm »

Yep, 80 wins and 64 nominations always astounds me and make me very proud of our BBM. :) 

But, even without a single award, I'm sure we'd all still recognize the incredible quality of this film.  I think the Oscars fiasco has taught me to take awards (for any film) with a grain of salt since those awards seem to political.

So, the whole awards topic is sort of a double edged sword.  Or convoluted issue at least.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 04:00:18 pm »
Yep!

It's a GREAT MOVIE! ;) ;)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 07:29:11 pm »
Well I find out something new everyday.......I was never aware that there is an actual place in America called Del Mar.

A friend I talk to on the net, lives in San Diiego and went to the races on Saturday. Told me she came home with a couple of hats with Del Mar written on them and asked if my son or grandson would like them...........

...........HUNH !!.......excuse me........dont worry bout son and grandson, I want one........

She tells me its on its way..........
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 01:36:48 am »
I was never aware that there is an actual place in America called Del Mar.

A second trivia about Del Mar, the place: it's in California and this is where the Zephyr Skate Team has one of their first competitions in the movie Dogtown Boys (and in real life, because it's based on a true life story). And to close the circle to BBM: no one less than our Heath plays one of the main characters in the movie :).

...........HUNH !!.......excuse me........dont worry bout son and grandson, I want one........

She tells me its on its way..........

Lucky you!  :D A Del Mar hat, that's so cool 8). We hope to see a pic.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 11:53:57 am »
Well I find out something new everyday.......I was never aware that there is an actual place in America called Del Mar.

A second trivia about Del Mar, the place: it's in California and this is where the Zephyr Skate Team has one of their first competitions in the movie Dogtown Boys (and in real life, because it's based on a true life story). And to close the circle to BBM: no one less than our Heath plays one of the main characters in the movie :).

I'm actually in the process of planning a business trip out to LA next week and I was just Mapquesting some driving directions.  And, LOL, it turns out that for a little while during a side trip I'm taking to Pasadena, I need to drive on E. Del Mar Blvd.!  Now I'm really excited about attending my meeting in Pasadena.
 :laugh:

Also, for what it's worth, there was a major pro bull riding event in Del Mar, California earlier in August.